Stargate Atlantis

Phantoms

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 15, 2006 on Syfy

• Not original but skillfully handled

The writers have taken a not-so-original idea and once again add the stargate touches to given us another satisfactory instalment. Not much by way of the movement in the arc, I guess we all need some rest from the Wraith sometimes!

How does it compare to what has been done? First thing - it scores a high 10 in humour. It never ceases to amaze me how the writers come up with all those one-liners. Here the humour is integral to each character's own development. I like it a lot and look forward to it every week. I think the only episode where humour was sadly locking was "Real World" and that was one where I though was really just mediocre.

In terms of suspense however, Star Trek Next Generation's Night Terrors is easily the better of the two. However it does not fall short by much. I especially like the scenes in the cave, Beckett's and Mckay's hellucination was very very well done. It even makes the audience wonder at what's reality. All in all, a good solid filler episode!
  • ok episode...

Ok, so it seems that Atlantis copies a lot from SG-1 but they add their own Atlantis twist to it. This episode is very similar to "Lost Paridise" (I think that is what it was called; it was the episode in season 6? where Maybourne and O'Neill got trapped on a moon and started becoming paranoid and tried to kill each other) Anyways, they were similar, but different in a sense. I don't mind Atlantis copying from SG-1 as long as they pull it off...and in this episode, they sort of did. I was getting a bit bored and it was getting a little annoying. It wasn't all bad though. I liked learning about John's past and seeing Carson freak out. Oh, and it was funny when McKay got shot. Overall, ok episode.
  • Random shooting.

7.4
    Ok, the idea - it was so clear after the first minutes - the team they went to search probably killed each other, and they will end up shooting each other too. So, did it went that way? Yes. So, on story, this episode had nothing to offer. It was all about how much you did liked them having hallucinations and the action and sneaking on the forest. The only thing that really surprised me, was when Beckett was having his hallucinations - I never even thought that the soldier he had there, was not real. So, there was surprised and there was great motion, but..
  • Intergalactic travel and there's no body armor?? Come On...

Let's see what I have for 100 words.
    *Intergalactic travel and there's no body armor?? Not even chest armor!! and why are they not using energy weapons? (why still use P90s!) And sometime I see solders wearing deck shoes instead of Army boots

As much as I like to watch SGA (not as SG1. love to watch) the more I find their stupid screen writing.
    so as the previous episode Rodney's sister is brought to Atlantis to make use of one of her theories and what happened? Instead of creating a new powerful energy source they lost the one they already had.
  • Not terrible, but certainly not as good as recent episodes...

One has to imagine that this episode was developed with cost savings in mind. Most of the episode takes place in the middle of the woods near Vancouver, with very little in the way of sets or effects. One set of flashbacks is set in Afghanistan, but based on the appearance of the sand, it was filmed on a seaside location with little more than a mock-up helicopter. The point is simply this: the idea was to create a bottle show to save money.

The thing with “bottle shows” is that the lack of funding for lots of locations, sets, or effects forces the writers to focus on character interaction and psychological drama. The stakes are a bit higher for the writers, then, and the cast needs to step up to the plate. I felt like the cast did everything possible with the material given, and the writers did a fairly good job with the effects of the Wraith device.

It comes down to some of the minor details. In the previous episode, Team Atlantis wound up with a depleted ZPM and a serious threat to their long-term viability. Suddenly, from the first frame of this episode, the problem doesn’t even rate a line of dialogue. The team is still jumping through the gate and running equipment at full capacity. It is incredibly annoying to see such a promising plot development tossed aside for no good reason.

Another small problem is the premise used to keep the away team on the planet and under the influence of the Wraith device. The idea is that the DHD was destroyed, trapping them on the planet. Why didn’t Weir send a puddlejumper through the gate, have them pick the away team, wipe out the device with a pod or two, and use the jumper DHD to leave? It’s one thing to create a scenario that forces the “bottle show” premise, and quite another to leave a massive plot hole open.

I was also a little disappointed that the only character with a detailed flashback was Sheppard. It’s good to know that he has a past, and that it was relatively consistent with what has been revealed before, but why focus just on him? Issues of time and budget still come to mind, but how hard would it have been to work it out? McKay and Beckett’s hallucinations were done rather well, but it wasn’t nearly as extensive as Sheppard’s flashback. And the effect on Ronon was just plain silly.

The main complaint is that the episode didn’t bring anything new to the table. The main characters were never in any real jeopardy, especially since there were red-shirts on the team, ready to be the cannon fodder when someone needed to die. More than that, the characters didn’t need to be that isolated under the premise, so it felt more contrived than necessary. Add to that the lack of continuity (a constant complaint), and this breaks the recent stretch of solid episodes.

(As a sidenote: I also have a podcast associated with my various reviews called “Dispatches from Tuzenor”. Recent episodes cover the “Stargate: Atlantis”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://entil2001.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • The Atlantis team trapped in their own personal mirage.

All I can say about this episode is this: ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!

I (and lots of Atlantis fans) have been waiting for the backstory episode for Sheppard. We finally get it. And now that it's here, it makes complete sense and fits with his character. It also reinforces the notion that only Joe Flanigan can be Sheppard and no one else.

I thought this episode was great. I liked how they took an old idea, the "everybody's gone bonkers" routine and made it new. The twist was using it to develop backstory on a character that needed it. I thought the writing was excellent on this episode and the acting superb. This REALLY has been the year for Atlantis. I do now see, with this episode, where people are debating: Sheppard-Weir (or Shweir) or Sheppard-Teyla (Sheyla). I'm leaning more towards the former than the latter but either is nice. Teyla has that way of getting to Sheppard. They should develop this relationship more, like what was seen in this episode.

"I can't believe you shot me" -- As usual, another Rodney one liner that leaves me LOL.

Good work!
  • While on a rescue mission SGA takes fire & finds the DHD has been sabotaged. They are also under the influence of wraith technology & they start behaving very strangely.

Talk about deja-vu! This episode, however brilliant, has been done before. Didn't it just scream to you about an episode from SG1 called Paradise Lost, where O'Neill & Maybourne get transported to a planet which was suppose to be paradise. Of course there are differences but all in all friends start turning on their friends.

I thought this episode was excellent even with the similarities to that SG1 episode. The fact that the wraith technology enhances each person's greatest fear - excellent. Ronon starts seeing wraith, Sheppard flashes back to a mission in his past, Teyla seemed creepily ill-effected (probably due to her wraith DNA), Rodney is convinced he's doing the right thing but the power displays are telling him that it's all wrong.

Probably the best acting in this episode is from Paul McGillion aka Dr Carson Beckett. He starts seeing dead people walking around and he truly has great fear that his patient will die. He takes his job very seriously and it really does shake him when he realises that his mind is playing tricks on him. Excellent work.

Rodney is as always wonderful. The scene where Sheppard shoots him was really amazing, I really felt that bullet & the shock on Rodney's face. I suppose I would like to see everyone treat Rodney a bit better. I know he's sarcastic and kind of annoying but they don't take him seriously & I'm not really in to that. An example of this is when Sheppard & McKay are at the DHD & Sheppard says 'Is there any other way to dial, and don't say no if there is any possibility because I'm not in the mood for your usual impossible heroic schemes'. That's just plain rude.

Anyway, great installment and as always looking forward to next week. Same bat time, same bat channel.
  • See Summary

Phantoms was a good episode. It was not clear what happened to the first Atlantis team that went to the planet in this episode, and when Sheppards team arrives to investigate they find dead Genii soldiers who apparently killed each other. It is discovered that there is a Wraith Generator emmitting a strange frequency, but it takes effect before everyone can realize whats happening. Everyone sees something different in relation to their own subconscience minds. Teyla seemed to be immune, most likely because of her small amount of Wraith DNA. It was an action packed episode where we learned a little more about each of the characters. McKay is not always a selfish, and egotistical person. He was genuinely trying to show concern for the wounded, which was a nice aspect to show.
  • On a rescue mission the team needs rescueing themselves from themselves!

A team is missing and our friends are send in to find out what happened. Any Star Trek fan knows from the team of marines that there is gone be trouble and people (marines) are gone get killed. Like the red shirts in Star Trek their only purpose seems to be that of cannonfudder. I just hope they are used better in real life, GO MARINES!!!!!! Our team discover some wraithlab and a machine that is still working thanks to a Genaiteam. The Genaiteam killed themselves but left the machine on which lured the first team to the planet which turned out to be their undoing. The machine makes everone paranoid seeing their greatest fear or enemy. Its a good solid episode which lets us see some of Sheppard's background, which is good, but the whole idea is unoriginal therefore the somewhat lower score. Rodney's humor again is at it's best in this one. All in all a nice episode with room for improvement.
  • Everyone is seeing something the other isn't and it's going to get them all killed!!

* SPOILERS *

Sheppard and his team come to a world looking for another team who hasn't reported back, but find that they've killed each other. They come across some Wraith technology which has the ability to affect the mind, causing you to see things that aren't really there. The DHD is destroyed and they have no way of contacting Atlantis!!

Ronan and Sheppard are trying to kill each other thinking the other is an enemy. The only one not affected by the device is Teyla and she's injured!!

I thought this episode was very adventurous and excited. I knew they were going to be OK in the end, but I still couldn't wait to see what happened next.
  • didnt like it at all

5.6
    i really didnt like it. hate it when they come up with there filler episodes. although it gave some background info on sheppard the whole story wasnt that interesting. there are some moments by sheppard and mckay which are absolutly hilarious. but these filler episodes are getting tiresome. i want to see more wraith battles and maybe a longer story involving ford. we havnt seen him for a while. if you havnt seen the episdoe yet and dont like filler episodes this isnt for you. but if you want a little back story on sheppard and by all means go for it.