Stargate Atlantis

Syfy (ended 2009)

Gislef

Stargate Atlantis Fan Reviews page 4 of 12

• A team of explorers step through a portal, the Stargate and discover Atlantis + explore new worlds ina new galaxy while trying to defeat an evil foe, the wraith. Led by Weir or Samantha Carter, with John Shepard , Ronon Dex, Teyla Emmagan, Rodney McKay.

A new Stargate team embarks on a dangerous mission to a distant galaxy, where they discover the lost city Atlantis -- and a deadly new enemy the wraith.
    Stargate Atlantis is a wonderful sci-fi fantasy show. A run off show from Stargate sg1. With action packed adventure, thrilling scenes, and great people (actors), you will be jumping off your seat with excitement.You will crave more.At times you will think its you fighting and exploring. With four seasons currently, this show is bound to do well like their wonderful counterpart Stargate sg1. The best sci fi show yet. Three thumbs up for stargate atlantis.
  • Stargate Atlanis is the best written show on tv. The characters are awesome.

Stargate Atlantis is byfar the best show on tv.I enjoy every episode. It well written and the character interaction is wonderful. I truly like Col. John Shepard. He reminds of what a young Jack O'Neill would be like. Rodney, Teyla, and Ronin really make up a awesome team for Shepard. They have the heart and soul that Sg1 had. The additon of Sam is a major plus. She brings a feal of Sg1 to the show. For huge Sg1 fans like myself it helps us miss the show less. I only hope that the SciFi channel realizes that what a massive hit that they have on their hands. Long may it continue to entertain us.
  • I love this show, I loved SG1, and there would be nothing worst then to see this show end. That is why I have to say this. Recently it just seem that the show has lost its edge, and I am not talking about the storyline, which is awesome, but rather the...

I love this show, I loved SG1, and there would be nothing worst then to see this show end. That is why I have to say this. Recently it just seem that the show has lost its edge, and I am not talking about the storyline, which is awesome, the Wraith and the Replicators and Atlantis all alone in the a dangerous galaxy - this is classic. What does seem to be lacking from this show very recently, and by very recently I mean the last 4 or 5 episodes so lets say since episode 6 of season 4, is the directing and the acting and the overall presentation. Its just becoming cheesy, there is always Rodney to come up with insane ideas that work, and there is always this predictable set of sequences and action.

PLEASE PLEASE if anyone from the show is reading this, please go back to the basics. It would seem that you have made 'Humans' way to powerful. Gould's are gone, replicator are pretty much destroyed, we killed the Ori, we have all the Asgard technology, Earth warships kick ass (S04E11). PLEASE you have to do something so that it does not seem like there is no great threat or conflict. And I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, maybe the last 4-5 episodes is not the true representation of what you have planned for the season, or at least I hope not. I just do not wanna loose this show. I want to see reasonable events in the story line. I want to see (seriously) more competent acting, for crying out loud some semblance of fear and anger, no matter what happens everyone is cracking jokes and being sarcastic. In my amateurish opinion (1) please introduce a critical source of threat to the Atlantis expedition, because as of right now it seems that there really isn't one; (2) please improve on the acting, and make it more realistic - I loved O Niel's character in the original show he was funny and serious at the same time; and (3) please work on your sense of timing, the camera work, and over all presentation - it very much feels like these episodes are just rushed or made in a couple of days, at least that the overall impression from a production quality point of view.

Thank you.
  • This show is immense!!!it has the action we all love combined with that great comedy and sci-fi adventure.

This has to be the baes sci-fi show everand im left wishing i had a time machine to go forward and see the next one straght away. This creates a perfect harmony of a fusion between action, adventure, sci-fi and graet subtle comedy which stands out.I love almost every single aspect of this programme and cant understand why so many people have not even haerd of this show which is absolutely shocking. Indeed it is true that you have to have seen a few episodes before you understand whats going on, but once your into this show you hooked and cant keep away from it no matter how hard you try to. ABOSULTELY AMAZING!!!!!
  • This show is so much fun. Not only do you get great adventure, but there is enough subtle humor to make you laugh out loud.

Great characters, original storylines, and twists galore keep me coming back for more week after week. Along with the fantastic adventure, I love the subtle humor of the show. Every week brings a new challenge, and I often wonder what else these poor explorers will have to face. But, no matter what happens, they keep going. When the show began, the team was essentially trapped on Atlantis. No more. It's great that they are now able to travel back and forth to earth. Not only does it open up the storyline, but we are introduced to so many more characters. I really love this show. It's fun, original,and I hope it continues for many seasons to come.
  • The show is so funny and cool. I have been watching it since the first season and now it's on the fourth season and some of the characters have grown from the first season.

The reason I watch this show is because it is so addicting. The characters are so funny to watch because of what they do. I am a big fan of Stargate and I own Season 2 of Stargate Atlantis on DVD. Some characters are funnier than others but they are funny all the same. I have seen a change in some characters over the seasons like in season 3 when the doc died in a fire his friend forgot all about his ego and was so broken up about it. Then he became stronger about himself and began to fight more.
  • Great show with new environments, enemies, and discoveries

Great show with new environments, enemies, and discoveries the spin off from Stargate SG1 is a good one. Finding more about the ancients is really fun. I miss the Asgard though. The backgrounds and histories of the Wraith and Replicators works well and explains much. I hope this run lasts a long time but have my doubts because of the Sci-fi channel. The Sci-fi channel only plays the show once a week and offers no way to watch the show online if you missed it. I hope some wiser network will pick this up from the idiots at the Sci-fi channel because this show deserves better.
  • people treat this show too much like fast food.

the reason why sg1 was so succesful was the gradual unwinding of the plot and the fight against the gould and the replicators. Now with atlantis shows like prison break and heroes there are too many people wanting things to happen in one season when it can can go on for another.

these days people want too much too soon and as a result the show will suffer long term. to those people i talk about, be patient. It is a good show and deserves the long term treatment stargate sg1 deserved but when u have shows like heroes and prison break that have a, quite frankly too in depth storyline, this show may suffer. But i still like it
  • Why Stargate is Great

Stargate Atlantis is my personal favorite actually i like this particular show better than i liked SG1, simply because the characters are more real. Also the story and plot lines of this series are so well put together, and it seems the writers took time not to leave to many unexplained happenings. Although i do admit they have started to slip a bit when it comes to plot holes in season 4. Hopefully they will get back on track with that soon. But overall one of the best shows out right now. Also the filtering of some old SG1 people is great.
  • A great spinoff.

A great spinoff of a really great show, Stargate Atlantis continues the franchises history of great action, special effects, humor, and wonderful characters. Instead of being based on thier home planet, the Atlantis Expediton packed thier bags to explore the lost city of Atlantis that just so happens to have been abandoned by the Ancients a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. New human and alien cultures are found along with a new formidable (and equally ruthless) enemy. A group of new heros (some of which are recognizable, and not so new) pick up the Ancients fight aginst the Wraith who have had free reign of the Pegasus Galaxy since the Ancients left thousands of years ago.
  • Spin off but still pretty good.

Stargate Atlantis is of course not as good as the original series, Stargate SG1. Spin offs tends to be bad and fail but this one is pretty good with good characters. Of course its no Jack O`Neil, Teal`c, Carter or Jackson but still some good character. I`m delighted to see Carter in the new season.
    This show is derived from fantastic double episodes of Stargate SG: Lost City. The base is ion the lost city of Atlantis and the explorers are in for some exciting mission. Its also have a lot of reference to to Sg1, which is great. Glad it got renewed, its always to have some Stargate (except infinity) in the air.
  • Worth watching

A secret group of scientists have discovered the location of the famous lost city of Atlantis. It's located in another galaxy, the Pegasus galaxy. Stargate Atlantis follows a multinational scientific and military group, lead by Dr. Elizabeth Weir, headed on a one way trip to Atlantis. Their mission is to investigate the secrets of Atlantis and bring whatever they discover back to Earth. They will be all on their own unless they can find the technology they need in Atlantis to return them to Earth. Once in Atlantis, they find the city abandoned. They must find a power source within the Pegasus galaxy using the same stargate system that got them there. On the first planet they visit, they a waken a new enemy the Wraith. The SGA team is lead by Major John Sheppard, and his team made up by his second in command Lt. Aiden Ford, and Scientist Dr. Rodney McKay. Joining the team will be Teyla Emmagan a woman from the Pegasus galaxy and Ronon Dex a man who is running from the Wraith. this is a cool show and worh watching from what I ahve seem even if its only been 2 seasons.
  • In search of the lost world of Atlantis, an expedition of military personnal and scientists embarks through the Stargate to another galaxy.

In a galaxy far, far away a new gate address holds the key to the lost world of Atlantis. A team of explorers step through the Stargate to a new world and new adventures. The team of explorers is headed up by the Earth's best international scientists and military. The leader is Dr. Elizabeth Weir, well known as the former leader of Stargate Command and world renoun diplomat and negotiator. She will use all her skills to keep all personnel in Atlantis safe. Major John Sheppard heads up the first SG team in search of a safe haven and to make new friends in the Pegasus Galaxy.
  • An intergalactic team from Earth explores the City of Atlantis and the mysterious Pegasus galaxy! Will they succeed on their technological mission or succumb to the will of the evil, life-sucking Wraith?

A great show, if not a little rough around the edges. A good spin-off, none the less. The characters are original and quirky that bring a little something to every episode. The 'bad guys' that are the wraith are pretty opposable, yet are pretty mysterious and interesting in their own right. They leave alot of room for some good story lines. I felt that Dr Weir wasnt a very strong leader, and definitely didn't live up to her Masters in International Relations! Granted, they are intergalactic relations, however I think she could have done a better job. Colonel Sheppard is a great military leader, and the comedy adds to his charm! Mackay is obviously the best comic relief and brings the livliness the show has. The alien characters could probably be developed alot more, however are good on their own. I love the show and think it will last a good, long while.
  • One of the best spin offs of all time.

It took me a season for me to attempt to like this spin off. I was very weary to let another SG show into my life, fearing that it would turn out to be crap and ruin the whole universe for me. I was not disappointed, however. This show had all the charm and action of SG-1...even if Jack O'Neill wasn't in it. I loved the Wraith as the new bad guy but I wasn't really happy to see the Replicators come back. Also, why did Rainbow even join the show if he was going to only show up for less than half the episodes? He was in the credits for the first season...usually you don't write those people out the story line for a while. Sheppard and McKay make this show a great show.
  • As Elizabeth Weir and Colonel John Shepard lead the Atlantian fight against the Wraith, old faces appear, friends say goodbye, and the exploration continues.....

This is the perfect speual series to the original Stargate series. The Wraith are especially good ( and @/?/^*ing scary too) enemies.
    r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r
  • Good show but it needs to re-focus it's efforts on a single, cohesive goal.

When Stargate: Atlantis started, it was indeed a great successor to the Stargate: SG-1 legacy, it was a move off-world to explore a new galaxy with new aliens and new dangers but I think it's lost it's focus a bit as time has gone on. The Wraith, while never spectacular as the main villains, really aren't all that exciting, in fact they come off as pretty silly most of the time. A bug that's evolved by eating human DNA? So that means that it can become just about anything just by changing it's diet? That's silly. Further, the Wraith, like so many big bad evil villains before them, seem to have no functional society, there's no way they could survive, build spaceships, improve their technology or anything else, they seem to exist in a bizarre type of pocket feudalism, warring between factions, never able to present all that much of a threat to either Atlantis or to Earth.

They really need to re-focus on what they want to make this show about. It seems to spend far too much time wandering aimlessly and hopefully, now that the producers only have one show to worry about, they can bring it back to the same high standards that SG-1 once had.
  • The crack team of scientists from Earth heads out of this galaxy to try and get some cool new toys! Unfortunately, they're led by a moron.

7.1
    Now sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip... Some young, hip, cute people headed out from Stargate command to discover Atlantis and get cool new toys! Unfortunately they're very pretty but not too smart. I get a bit impatient with the episodes because, honestly, you're sitting there at home going "Use the defibrilator! Use...the...defib.... oh, the heck with it. I wonder if they have any MASH re-runs on?" I am trying, though. I mean, someone said it got better, so I'm slogging through it. But it says something when someone who can cheerfully watch ancient Incredible Hulk episodes with all the bad effects and 70's 80's stuff cringes at the thought of enduring yet another episode... It doesn't help that I loathe the chick running the base. Yay team, we have a woman in charge! Couldn't you pick a smart one? Seriously... I do get annoyed with how TV portrays women in charge. I am a girl, I have bosses who are internal-reproductive-organ gender, half the planet is women! Why, oh why does TV inevetably dork this up? It's not like there's a lack of sociological info out there on our gender, ya know? It's just the writers, in the end. They're not as good as the writers from SG1. That said... I do like the obnoxious genius, even if I forget his name.
  • A perfect spin off that is a show on its own while doing justice to the stargate name.

Atlantis is a perfect spin off to Stargate SG1. It remains true to the stargate francihise. While being total original. It is a by no way downgrade to SG1 it has proven itself as one of the best sci-fi shows on tv. The charcters and story lines have taken the stargate series to anoter level. Atlantis breaths fresh air into an aging stargate series. It is my opinion that Atlantis will run for as long if not longer than SG1. Its new and developing plots and villians is groundbarking and I for one can't wait to see what they do next.
  • Stargate Atlantis is a Canadian-American science fiction television program, part of the Stargate franchise owned by MGM. Developed by longtime SG-1 producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, it is a spin-off from the television series Stargate SG-1.

When Stargate SG-1 producers, Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper thought the series was going to end after Season five when Showtime announced that they were canceling the show, they came up with the idea of making a new feature film. But when the ratings on its new home at the Sci Fi Channel were rather good, the idea got pushed after season six and later on after season seven. But then there was talk of a spin-off series and the producers were left with a serious dilemma, since the seventh season of Stargate SG-1 had been planned to lead up to the great discovery of the lost city of the Ancients, Atlantis. The Stargate SG-1 seventh season ending two part episode "Lost City," was supposed to be a bridge between Stargate SG-1 and a new spin-off, either a show or a movie, which was not planned to run at the same time as Stargate SG-1. Wright and Cooper rewrote the script as the two-part season seven finale, and moved the setting of the story. The city of Atlantis, originally planned to be on Earth under Antarctica in place of the SGC, was moved to the Pegasus Galaxy. By doing so, they wanted to avoid the fans wondering why Stargate Command was not coming to help them, and also gave them the chance to start off in its own way and not be an identical copy of the original show.

The series received the green light on November 17, 2003 and started shooting in February of 2004. It premiered on July 16 of the same year.

From the start, Wright and Cooper ruled out casting "star names", on the basis of the financial pressures they were already experiencing with "star names" on Stargate SG-1. The casting was made more complicated because Atlantis got the go-ahead in November, and had to compete with other networks during pilot season.

The character most difficult to cast was the then-called Dr. Ingram, an unexcitable scientist expert in the Stargate. As the first day of shooting drew nearer and they were unable to find the right actor, they came to realize they had brought in the wrong character. Longtime Stargate director Martin Wood and Brad Wright thought it should be Dr. Rodney McKay, who had already appeared in a guest role in three episodes of Stargate SG-1. Actor David Hewlett was contacted and arrived to the set the day after filming had started. Dr Ingram had already been written in to the pilot episode of the show and so the same script was used and the character's name simply changed to Dr McKay. Later scripts were written with Dr. McKay in mind.

Season 2 brought casting changes. The creators found themselves with a problem with the character of Lt. Aiden Ford (Rainbow Sun Francks), a first season regular that the producers, and the actor himself, felt had not worked like intended and was highly underused as a result. Unwilling to write him out, the writers came with an idea to make the character more important, but that downgraded him to recurring. To replace him, they created Ronon Dex as a sidekick for Lt. Col. John Sheppard, but finding an actor with the physical presence and the acting ability necessary was not easy until they saw Jason Momoa's tape. X-files veteran Mitch Pileggi was added to the cast in the recurring role of Col. Stephen Caldwell. Paul McGillion's character, Dr. Carson Beckett, became a regular in season two.

Season 3 changed the cast lineup again. Paul McGillion's Dr. Carson Beckett was killed in episode 17, "Sunday", (though only temporarily, it appears, as Joe Mallozzi stated on April 9, 2007 that he will be bringing Beckett back, alive and well, in a 2-part episode in season 4). Amanda Tapping will cross from Stargate SG-1 for 14 episodes in Season 4, as the leader for the expedition. while Torri Higginson will become a recurring character. Each season of Stargate: Atlantis features 20 episodes, and in the United States they are broadcast in two series of 10 episodes. The first 10 episodes air from mid-July to September in the United States, ending in the cliffhanger of a two-parter episode. The second half airs first in Canada, from November to January, ending also with a cliffhanger. In the United States, the second half aired from January to March during seasons 1 and 2, but season 3 aired from April to June 2007.

Stargate: Atlantis episodes feature a self-contained story that also contributes to the larger storyline of the war against the Wraith and their search for the means to destroy their enemy. Each season has also featured a two-parter episode, and a few episodes that, while not technically two-parters, had continued directly the story of the previous episode (for example, season 3 "Progeny" and "The Real World").

Each show begins with a cold open, sometimes preceded with a recap of events relevant to the upcoming narrative. The opening credits feature an original theme by Joel Goldsmith. Though they were drastically cut at the start of season 2, the full credits were recovered after the mid-season parter.

The show blends different types of approaches to science-fiction, from action to comedy.

Stargate Atlantis is shot at Bridge studios in Vancouver and on location in several places in British Columbia. The Pemberton Glacier doubled for Antarctica during the opening flying sequence in series premiere "Rising". Lynn Valley Canyon was, for example, where the episode "Instinct" was filmed.

Stargate Atlantis inherited Blade Trinity's effects stage. The Blade Trinity production gave the set to Stargate Atlantis to save the high cost of dismantling the massive construct. The set has appeared several times. For example, the walkway Sheppard walks in "The Storm" is the topmost part of the Blade Trinity set.

Plot

The events of Stargate Atlantis follow the cliffhanger Stargate SG-1 seventh season finale "Lost City", where the SG-1 found an outpost made by the race known as the Ancients in Antarctica. After the events of Stargate SG-1 season eight premiere "New Order", the Stargate Command sends an international team to investigate the outpost. Soon, Dr. Jackson discovers the location of the greatest city created by the Ancients, Atlantis.

Season 1

Season 1 began airing in the United States on July 16, 2004. The Atlantis expedition, led by Dr. Weir, arrives to the city of the Ancients and quickly find themselves in a dire situation that forces them to seek new friends, the Athosians, but that also lands them with a powerful new enemy: the Wraith. Cut off from Earth, the expedition must survive in a new galaxy, while deciphering the Ancients' technology and finding a way to destroy the Wraith. Major Sheppard puts together a team consisting of himself, Dr. McKay, Lt. Ford and the Athosian leader Teyla, who serves as Atlantis first contact team. In one of their first missions, they make another enemy in the Genii, a human militaristic civilization with a 1950s level of technology. The season closes with a cliffhanger, with Atlantis under siege by the Wraith.

Season 2

Season 2 began airing in the United States on July 15, 2005 and it picked up just where season 1 ended. The Atlantis expedition successfully avoids being culled by the Wraith by making them believe Atlantis has been destroyed, and recover semi-regular contact with Earth thanks to the Daedalus and the new ZPM. Sheppard is promoted to Lt. Colonel and former Runner Ronon Dex replaces Lt. Ford, now MIA.

The central plot of this second season is the development of Dr. Beckett's retrovirus, which can, theoretically, turn a Wraith into a human. While a not yet ready version makes a young Wraith girl lose all her humanity and almost turns LTC. Sheppard into an Iratus bug, a more developed version is tested in a living Wraith, Michael, with mixed results. The season closes again with a cliffhanger, with the Wraith on their way to Earth.

Season 3

Season 3 premiered in the United States on July 14, 2006, picking up just where season 2 ended. Having stopped the Wraith from reaching Earth and having achieved another failure with the Wraith retrovirus, the expedition faces its third year in the Pegasus galaxy with the Wraith still a threat and a new powerful enemy bent on destroying the expedition and Atlantis: the Asurans. Things get complicated when an experiment gone awry drains their only ZPM, leaving them without a power source for the city's shields. Soon thereafter, they find a lost Ancient vessel and subsequently lose the city of Atlantis when the crew of the Ancient ship reclaims it. The SGC sends General O'Neill and Richard Woolsey to try and negotiate an agreement between Earth and the Ancients to allow the expedition back in Atlantis. O'Neill and Woolsey dial Earth and inform them that the Asurans (self-replicating nanobots) are taking over the city. They kill off the Ancient crew who reclaimed the city after 10,000 years. The main members of the Atlantis expedition on Earth disobey the orders and go back to the city, rescue it, and destroy all Asurans. The season ender starts off with Earth launching a first strike against the Asurans who are building an armada to attack Atlantis or Earth. The Asurans counter-attack by attacking Atlantis by means of a powerful beam weapon fired through a satellite housing a stargate. As the last resort, the Atlantis team fires up the city's star-drive and escapes into space. The finale ends when the hyper-drive malfunctions, leaving the city flying through uncharted space with a day's worth of energy left in their sole ZPM and Dr Weir critically injured. Season 4 is expected to start off where this season ended.

Season 4

Season 4 is stated to premiere in the US on September 28, 2007. The writers stated that season 4 will take the series in a new direction. The future appears bleak with the incapacitation of Weir and multiple injuries among the senior members of the expedition. With the city damaged, running out of power and drifting in space, cut off from Earth, the Atlantis expedition has to rely on their own resourcefulness to save Atlantis, and by extension themselves, from death and destruction. A new alien race will be introduced as well. This new race is called the "Travelers". They are a race that has been able to flourish and become technologically advanced due to their nomadic lifestyle. Since they are always moving it has made it impossible for the Wraith to "cull" them. Colonel Samantha Carter joins as a regular and acts as the expedition leader but how she arrives at the city is still unknown. GateWorld reported on April 10, 2007 that Carson Beckett will return from the dead for at least three episodes of Season 4. Since then, that number has been reduced to two episodes, the third having been shelved for future consideration.[citation needed] It is also a possibility that Acastus Kolya will also rise from the grave and make an appearance in one of the later episodes of Season 4. According to Joseph Mallozzi, the season will have "light" moments (such as the pregnancy of Rachel Luttrell's character, Teyla Emmagan), but the show's fourth season will be darker than its predecessors overall.

Cast

Stargate Atlantis employs an ensemble cast to portray the members of the multinational Atlantis expedition, their friends and enemies. The core of this cast are the highest ranking characters: military commander Lt. Col. John Sheppard, expedition leader Dr. Elizabeth Weir and chief scientist Dr. Rodney McKay. Around them, Pegasus galaxy natives Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex round the ranks of the series regulars, the latter replacing season 1 regular Lt. Aiden Ford.

The series also features a recurring cast that includes Dr. Radek Zelenka, Maj. Lorne, Col. Steven Caldwell and Chief medical officer Dr. Jennifer Keller, who replaces former regular Dr. Carson Beckett. Also, since season 2, some characters from sister series Stargate SG-1 appear in guest roles.

Regular characters * Joe Flanigan - Lt. Col. John Sheppard (Season 1– Present) * David Hewlett - Dr. Rodney McKay (Season 1– Present) * Rachel Luttrell - Teyla Emmagan (Season 1– Present) * Jason Momoa - Ronon Dex (Season 2– Present) * Torri Higginson - Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Season 1–3, recurring in season 4) * Paul McGillion - Dr. Carson Beckett (Season 2–3, recurring in season 1 and 4) * Rainbow Sun Francks - 1st Lt. Aiden Ford (Season 1, recurring in season 2) * Amanda Tapping - Col. Samantha Carter (Season 4– Present, recurring 1-3)

Recurring characters * David Nykl - Dr. Radek Zelenka (Season 1– Present) * Kavan Smith - Maj. Evan Lorne (Season 2– Present)[14] * Mitch Pileggi - Col. Steven Caldwell (Season 2– Present) * Robert Davi - Cmdr. Acastus Kolya: (Season 1– Season 3) * Connor Trinneer - Michael Kenmore (Season 2– Present) * Claire Rankin - Dr. Kate Heightmeyer (Season 1– Present) * Dean Marshall - Sgt. Bates (Season 1) * Craig Veroni - Dr. Peter Grodin (Season 1) * Jewel Staite - Dr. Jennifer Keller (Season 3– Present)[15] * Chuck Campbell - Chuck: (Season 1– Present) * Jaime Ray Newman - Lt. Laura Cadman (Season 2, Mentioned in 3) * Trevor Devall - Hermiod (Seasons 2-3) * Michael Beach - Col. Abraham Ellis (Season 3– Present)

Setting

Stargate Atlantis is set in the city of Atlantis, on a planet called "Lantea" in the Pegasus galaxy, built millions of years ago by the most advanced race of the Stargate universe: the Ancients. Five to ten million years ago, due to a plague in the Milky Way Galaxy, they were forced to flee to a planet in the Pegasus Galaxy and there they seeded life on hundreds of worlds as they had done in the Milky Way. After encountering a powerful enemy known as the Wraith and going to war with them for more than one hundred years, the Ancients ultimately lost and were forced to submerge their city into the ocean (in order to hide from the Wraith), which, in the Stargate universe, is the source of the Greek myth of the Lost City of Atlantis.

The city of Atlantis hosts much of the action in the series and is the source of much of the technology which the characters employ. While trying to uncover the secrets the city still holds from her new human inhabitants, the Atlantis expedition also use the Stargate to explore the Pegasus galaxy, looking for energy sources and other technology that the Ancients may have left behind and that may help them defeat the Wraith. They have only explored a handful of planets in Pegasus. While some of them are friendly, others have become enemies (the Genii) or were completely culled away by the Wraith. Even others have made moral choices the expedition could not agree with.

The expedition also use human SGC technology, itself a blend of human-developed technology and technology adapted from the Goa'uld, as well as given by the Asgard and, recently, acquired from the Wraith.
  • A good show blooming in the shadow of Stargate-SG1.

There's something about this show that I really do enjoy, whether its because its a little different take on Sci-fi, or because its based in Atlantis, something about it keeps me up in late hours of the night to watch this show.

While this show has a main enemy species that they focus on just as Star Trek Voyager did, it also isn't afraid to draw outside that circle a little. Devoting an entire episode to trying to rescue a member of their team somewhere in the middle of the ocean seems more like something DS9 would do. Most would call this a filler. I call it a tidbit of crew humanity.

While the show is indeed quite different from Stargate-SG1, it draws from the same audience and therefore tends to be thrown into SG1's shadow since it came after SG1. Personally, I prefer Stargate Atlantis over SG1, but I suppose that's just my preference. Still, Stargate Atlantis is a good show to see for any Sci-fi fan.
  • The Stargate adventures in another galaxy...in the famed lost city of Atlantis.

I wasn't too sure about the show when it first started, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Among the familiar SG1 faces of Jack and Daniel, there were also Drs. Weir and McKay who've been on SG1 before. They did a good job of introducing the new faces, creating a storyline that involved the introduction to the new enemy and creation of new friendships and alliances.

The show has continued to improve with the introduction of the Genii (though the Pegasus replicators I could've done without). I especially like how they have some recurring characters that float in and out (more Lorne, please!).

Overall, this is an excellent show and I'm glad that Sci-Fi is keeping it around.
  • The best Sci-fi series since Star Trek.

If you like one of the Stargate series, it's most likely Atlantis. Stargate Atlantis is one of the few remaining true sci-fi series on TV. The show is the second to have a lot of humor in a scifi series. (SG1 was first. There are some scifi shows with some humor, but Atlantis has A LOT!) The characters are funny and relatable. The show has the potential to outlast SG1's 10 seasons. If you don't like sci-fi you may still like Atlantis. It incorperates military and sci-fi together. Atlantis is one the best series on tv. Not to mention the best American Scifi series on TV.
  • There are no where near enough people watching this fantastic show! It is without a doubt the best Sci-Fi Show ever along with SG1 and I hope it will keep going for as long as SG1 did. I have the full 1st and 2nd seasons on dvd and I hope it keeps coming!

The thing that makes this show so fantastic are the intricate plot lines, the fantastic characters and the great cast. Though I enjoyed SG1's Jack O'neil, Lt, Col John Sheppard is much better in the many action sequences. Though there are many similarities between SG1 and Atlantis and there are references to past SG1 tales, Atlantis is in a leauge of it's own. The villains are far better in the form of the deadly Wraith and one of the best moves for the season as yet is to bring back Sam Carter, the best character in the original SG1. She replaces Dr. Elizabeth Wier, and though I will be sad to see her leave Sam Carter will be a welcome addition to the series. Keep it Coming!

• When Atlantis started originally I thought that, compared to SG1, it would be a pale imitation. However I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Stargate Atlantis is really quite good for a number of reasons.

This show is good story-writing put into action. The plot, location/scene, characters, and progression of the story are all excellent, and (almost always) consistent. The plight of the cast, who are very far away from home and facing a formidable foe, and their well-thought-through actions (with occasional bumps and bruises) draw viewers in in a way Star Treks TNG and Voyager did in their hay days. The characters and their development are excellent. Some recent shows have characters who are sometimes so "issue-ridden" and pathetic that they don't deserve to solve their dilemmas (or live). The characters on Atlantis, on the other hand, may all have faults and quirks, but these faults and quirks make them human and often end up serving them in the end (or at least contributing intelligently to the story).

I look forward to seeing more (and having more released on DVD).
  • Same old stuff in a different way new villians. Any imagination left in this world.

6.3
    Here we have a city that is really a space ship and you
    are just now flying it that's a big hmmmm.
    The city could have all kinds of stuff left behind.
    New portals, new dimensions. They could find a stash of power gadgets. You don't have to have blood sucking villains to have a great show. Space can have all kinds
    bad guys without child like entertainment.
    They need Daniel Jackson to be called in time to time
    for new Languages and Symbols.All kinds of things could
    happen in hyperdrive. Or you could find a way to bend space
    and travel faster then hyperdrive. There is no limit to
    space fantasy.
  • Spinoff of Stargate SG1. Set in a distant galaxy, a new team confronts a new enemy.

Stargate Atlantis might be the best show you've never heard of. I am amazed at the number of fresh ideas that are introduced in Atlantis that are not recycled SG1 story lines. The cohesion amongst the cast is as good as SG1 has ever been (well see about season 4). And the action is at a level that isn't cheesy. The quality of Atlantis combined with the legacy of SG1 is quickly making Stargate the new gold standard in science fiction tv.
  • I love it!

After I was a big fan of SG 1 I had to start watching Atlantis too. This show was a geat opportunity to continue with the show. The actors are great chosen and the mystery of Atlantis gives us many chances for very good episodes.

Technology is much more advanced than it was on SG 1 and so we will get much more star fights and stuff like that.

I've alreade seen half of season one and I'm looking forward to the next episodes. I appreciate that there will be a fourth season, especially after SG 1 has now finished.

It's amazing how the writers always find the new ideas of new enemies. But as we all know we will defeat them all!
  • Either the writers are missing the boat on Rodney McKay's character or David Hewlett can't act.

Stargate Atlantis has many redeeming qualities however there is one flaw that needs to be corrected and soon. That flaw has to do with the role of Dr. Rodney McKay. I think it is important that the "audience" like a character regardless of how evil or "weird" that character is. As an avid viewer of SA, and of Stargate for that matter, I would venture to say that most of the episodes are very good to excellent. I think the main characters are well cast and their parts are, for the most part, well written. Naturally I assume they are playing their parts as written [with intuition guiding them]. The only exception is Rodney McKay. In my humble opinion, his character has no redeeming qualities, none. It hurts to watch an episode where Dr. McKay has more than just a few lines. As much as I love SA, when McKay is the feature of an episode, I switch channels. Either the writers of this show don't understand how important it is that we like at least "something" about McKay or Hewlett isn't doing his job as an actor. It is my opinion that either his character be "refined" or Dr. McKay be "eliminated". I do not believe McKay is a real person, despite all his eccentricies. As any movie goer will tell you, there has to something about a character that causes us to like him or her. This is just my opinion, of course.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10