Stargate Atlantis

Syfy (ended 2009)

Gislef

Stargate Atlantis Fan Reviews page 8 of 12

• Stargate Atlantis is an awesome spin-off of an awesome show.

Atlantis is much better that Battlestar Galactica and among the best shows on TV. The show is very entertaining and thought provoking. Almost every episode is like a Hollywood movie. And I feel like I should be charged admission. I\'d love to see 10 more seasons! I\'m starting to like Sheppard more and more. He\'s becoming the new Captian Kirk for this decade (picking up a new alien chic everytime you look). I also really like Dr McKay even though he can p-off and alienate everyone around him (even the viewer), but it\'s part of his charisma.
  • One of my favorites!

I have actually never watched an episode of the original Stargate series...but I happened upon the pilot episode of this show and have been hooked ever since. My only wish is that they would develop the characters on a more personal level...they seem to spend all their time fighting the Wraith and discovering alternate power sources.
  • this show is as great as the original stargate, maybe even better

Even though it is a spin off Atlantis is awesome the talents af the actors and writingmake this show great.Sheppard, Teyla, McKay and ronon make a better team then SG1 itself.Plus since it is in another galaxy there wont be as much outside interference, on of the downfalls of the original Stargate. So unless on of the characters we finds out has a kid somewhere I give this show a perfect 10.
  • Does anyone notice the hottness of this show?

Seriously, I mean just look at the starring actors, Joe Flannigan (Sheppard), Paul McGillion (Beckett (the accent says it all)), and yummy Jason Momoa (Ronan Dex). And just like Stargate SG-1 the women are of course hot and if you ever call them ‘damsel’s in distress’ they’ll knock you out. The actress’s are Torri Higginson (Weir (power and beauty/a deadly combination)), and Rachel Luttrell (Teyla-just plain hot with an Amazonian goddess twist). Those are 5 of the reasons why to watch the show, but here’s another for all the women out there. The women are NOT the ‘damsel’s in distress’ they’re the ones saving the planet most of the time (whether or not the men would ever admit it), and the ones kicking everyone’s collective butts. Weir brings charisma and an attitude (both commanding and sarcastic), while Teyla is like an Amazonian warrior who wants to KICK the Wraith’s ASS, just for the fun of it (and kicks Sheppard’s on a regular basis). Besides all the hotness, the storyline’s rock! It’s going through its 2nd season, but is already signed on to do a season 3. If you’re not already watching this, then you should be.
  • I like this show !!!

Well i am a stargate SG-1 fan so i think that this show is as good as sg-1. Good show with lots of excitement in almost every episode. Good and believable actors. Im a sci-fi fan so this show is probably 100% sci-fi. This show has everything from excitement to romance and drama. Good work.
  • To put this mildly: This show is very exciting, binds fiction to science, and generates you to think possitively of our future ahead.

Stargate Atlantis came into life from Stargate SG1 phenomenon and evolved into inspiration for viewers of all ages. Stargate Atlantis crew deals with Ancients technology on daily bases, learning new trick, and making old mistakes, which is all reasonably acceptable from human perspective. I would say this show is a-must for any science +/- fiction lovers, since it combines many real world problems, controversies, theories, and tries to generate a reasonable resolution out of them.
  • You people bug the crap out of me when you say stuff like (it doesn't compare to SG-1 and that it is a joke) here is what i have to say about that.

True sg-1 was a great show but now it is joke. They should have killed it after season 7 and made a feature film. Instead they have to drag it out but enough is enough get it over with, they are about to kill it for me and most of my friends. When they took out O'Neill. It lost its edge and true i like to watch it, but thats cause i have no life outside of school. I love the characters but i hate to see them reduced to this. So in the end give it to Atlantis.
  • It is so cool that it puts me to sleep after i watch one second of it.

(wakes up) Oh. Sorry. I thoguht i was watching this piece of crap, but instead i am expressing how i like it. Well to tell you the truth, i do not like it at all. I have seen better action thn this. You want some good action? Try watching two milk cartons fight. I would rather watch that than this. Take it off the air please.
  • great idea

this is a good show, and a Great concept, Atlantis has always been on our minds, and the idea that it is actually on another planet, the whole concept of the Ancients.. I love the show and all the charecters , very well acted , and well written, hope it sticks around a while
  • Stargate Sg1 is from all point of view better than this thing called Atlantis.The actors were better,the plots were interesting but now not even the grafics did't improve...so the best thing to do is try something else,i don't no know what but they sure n

4.5

Stargate Sg1 is from all point of view better than this thing called Atlantis.The actors were better,the plots were interesting but now not even the grafics did't improve...so the best thing to do is try something else,i don't no know what but they sure need a change...a realy big one
  • Awesome show!

This show is definately the show for you if your interested in sci-fi. The futuristic layout enables the producers to have a full range of wild idea out of this world! literally! Atlantis being the long lost city of the ancients is also just facinating, each episode you get to know the team and Atlantis itself. You can also admire the amazing graphical computer work which is used on a number of vital ocassions. This show is definately worth a try, even if your not into the futuristic style its a good one to be watching. verdict 10/10
  • Stargate Atlantis is everything Stargate Sg-1 is and more, it's a fresh start, looking at the most interesting part of the story of SG-1.

Even if there are some episodes that are a little below the others, the show is always interesting and even fun to watch.
    For me, it is the best show that was ever done, and I reccomend everyone to watch it, or at least give it a try, if you don't completely understand the story, well, you are just going to have to watch Stargate SG-1 :p (wich is second in my list by the way).
  • One of my favorite SF shows currently viewed, but seems to lack inter-episode consistancy

I like the show, except for the ill-defined ongoing villians(the Wraiths) and the excessive amount of suspension of disbelief required by the interaction with SG-1 scenarios. SG-1 does it much better. I get confused with the roles played by various characters, and at times some of them seem to have not read the "blue book" for the series, if indeed one exists. Of course, that is the script-writers failing. Notwithstanding the above, this is one of 3 SF/Fantasy shows I currently watch. The only real gripe I have is that the Sci-Fi channel is no longer available on standard cable from Comcast
  • The premise is interesting, the possibilities are endless, but the performance is lackluster and the plots are genre-typical.

I'll start off by saying that I do watch this program fairly regularly, although mostly as a last resort via PVR as an alternative to, say, staring at the wall. I won't go into the background of the show, which is available in the show summary and other reviews, but instead discuss the relevant aspects of the show.

First, the characters are stereotypical and lack depth. There's a nerdy scientist stereotype straight out of the melodramatic Alias, a type-A female lead scientist who often clashes with the de facto military leader (who is also the stereotypical "ladies man,"), a "Warf" like warrior, and an empath female. Nothing original in these characters, and their personalities remain undeveloped.

The acting and production is borderline. With a little suspension of disbelief, it's possible to believe the characters, environments, and sets. But just as easily, when you look at the show, you can see a bunch of people in costumes standing around a plywood set reciting a script. Making it more difficult than not to see the latter is the hallmark of a good production.

The scripts themselves also leave much to be desired. The exploration team all speak with an American or earth-based accent, as do the people in the new civilizations they discover. But in a weak attempt to differentiate the otherworldly humans, the writers consistantly omit contractions and use awkward sentence structure, such as "I am unable to understand," rather than the more common and straightforward, "I don't understand." We're already dropping our expectation that these people speak foreign languages, so there's really no need for this technique, which, in effect, only makes the characters seem less human.

Each episode generally consists of a visit to a new planet, where the team encounters an "alien" human civilization. Just as in Star Trek, each planet displays varying degrees of trust, technology, and social structure; none particularly original or insightful. At best, they're slight variations on existing societies on earth, and slight variations in the order humanity has developed technology.

The advanced technology is largely limited to the standard sci-fi fare of cloaking, shields, teleporting via "beaming," and somehow scanning for "life signs." Nothing original in that aspect either. Some existing pop junk-science is incoporated into the show, such as "zero point energy," in the form of ZPMs (Zero Point Modules).

In summary, the show might be interesting to the 12-22 age group who hasn't been exposed to previous science fiction, or sci-fi fanatics who forgive any shortcoming and embrace any sci-fi, or people like me who just want to pass the time by watching something, but I think most people can easily find something more appealing to watch (or do).
  • where is Lt. Ford?

Where or when is Lt. Ford gonna appear again? I think his character evolved into a cool character, you know the whole hybrid thang. But it would be nice to see him again because I know in season 2 episode 20 (Allies 1) is the reappearance and conjoined forces with the character Michael the human turned wraith from S02E17 with his rebel force against the incoming hive-ship. Anyway, I would think this would be a perfect plot for Lt. Ford to help out his people's for old times sake, don't you think?
  • A spinoff of Stargate SG-1. It has a lot of the things which make Stargate SG-1 a classic show, with more of a sci-fi setting.

In 1994, there was a movie called "Stargate." This movie was turned into a series called Stargate SG-1. Both the movie and the series had a unique mix of mythology and sci-fi. "Stargate" became known among sci-fi fans as probably the best sci-fi series of the late 90's and early 2000's. Both the movie and the show had great special effects, and great actors. After seven seasons of Stargate SG-1, the producers were thinking of making a second Stargate movie, which would end Stargate SG-1 and start a new spinoff show about the city of Atlantis. However, they decided to continue Stargate SG-1 and have the spinoff at the same time. The movie they were planning ended up being the seventh season finale of Stargate SG-1, and introduced the character Elizabeth Wier, who would become a main character in Stargate Atlantis.

Stargate Atlantis starts off when SG-1 finally finds the location of the city Atlantis. It is in another galaxy. SG-1 has been looking for the city of Atlantis for a while. It was once inhabited by a group of beings, called the Ancients, who now live in a higher plane of existence. They think that Atlantis will have a lot of weapons and other technology which will help them fight their enemies. A large team of people are sent to Atlantis. The problem is that, Earth has a thing called a ZPM, which helps power the gate enough to make a wormhole to the other galaxy, but when they go through the gate, they won't have a ZPM to get back to Earth. Throughout the first season, they explore Atlantis, investigate the different technologies, and explore the worlds in the galaxy.

In the series Atlantis, the setting is a lot more in the style of sci-fi as Stargate SG-1 was. The city of Atlantis is a mystery which needs to be explored. The city itself looks very amazing, especially the first time you see it.

In the pilot episode, they introduce a group of people called the Athosians. They have been under attack by a species called the Wraith. They kill people by taking their souls. They need to take the people's souls in order to live. The Wraith is an interesting enemy.

Some of the Athosian people come to live in the city of Atlantis.

This show has interesting characters.

Dr. Wier, introduced on Stargate SG-1, is in charge of the human personnel.

Colonel Sheppard
    is in charge of the team which goes off world in every episode.

Rodney McKay is in charge of the technical stuff. He usually comes along on the missions with Sheppard. If you've ever seen Stargate SG-1, you might recognize him. He was on a couple of episodes before Atlantis started.

Teyla is one of the Athosian. She is also on the team which goes off world on the adventures.

Doctor Carson is the medical doctor on Atlantis.

Lt. Aiden Ford also goes on the missions. He's supposed to be the strong person on the team.

In the second season, Ford is replaced by Ronon Dex. Ronan is much stronger than Ford used to be. Ford is a recurring character in season 2.

The graphics are great on Atlantis. It's hard to top the graphics on Stargate SG-1, but they did top them.

The action is just as good as the action on Stargate SG-1.

The characters are not as well developed as on Stargate SG-1, but they are still good characters.

Atlantis does not use quite as much mythology as Stargate SG-1. It does use the mythology of Atlantis (obviously), but they don't use too much more than that. However, they do occasionally use some of the stories developed in Stargate SG-1 for their own stories.

While not quite as good as Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis is still a great show. It has amazing special effects, great characters, wonderful actors, and very good stories. Most of the episodes are set up so that you can watch this even if you didn't see Stargate SG-1. However, there are the occasional episodes which uses things from Stargate SG-1 and it would help if you did see at least some of the episodes of that show.
  • Another Stargate show = another time I was wrong

When this show first came about, I thought "Great it's Stargates verson of Star Trek: Voyager." But you now what, this show is actually very good and stands on it's own. That makes two out of two Stargate shows were my first instincts were wrong.
    This show is a great rebirth of the SG-1 show. There is a new galaxy, new enemy, new goals and new general feel of the show.
    Again, this show creates great characters that react very well with each other. This show I would say is more epic then it's mother and seems to show more danger.
    I actually am now finding myself wanting SG-1 to retire in a respectful way and have Atlantis carry on the torch. I beleive it has proven itself above and beyond.
    Oh yeah and Rainbow Sun? What's up with that name?
  • Almost as good as SG-1, and follows the same style almost, but thats not a bad thing.

Atlantis is by far the best spin off show ive seen, it has very similar attributes to the original stargate series, but in a few ways, better.

While it does though the whole theories of atlantis out the window, it deffinately follows stargates footsteps in stretching the limit of the imagination.

The basic story is very original, yet similar to stargate, the only major differences are that theirs no public to hide the program from, the gate is what you might call "digital", and the headquarters is a giant city built by the ancients.

The characters are in some ways very similar to the ones in SG-1; Sheperds alot like Jack or Mitchell, McKay is a little like Carter, Wier is similar to Daniel, and Teyla similar to Tealc.

The stories are fairly original and unique from the sg-1 episodes, and the new enimies, the wraith, are very original.

Overall, even though the shows only in its 2nd season, i know it'll be a great substitute for Sg-1 if it every dies.
  • The Only Thing Better Is SG1

This is just as stunning as sg1 if not more entrancing at times. However being a sg1 fan, this series can never take off solo for me. I believe both shows should become one as the missing element right now is character development.

Taylormade over and out
  • I love this show. It all began with the Stargate movie which peeked my interest and than SG hit. Immediatly I was hooked and couldn't imagine anything better. Well luckily Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper did. Atlantis rocks my scifi addiction more than a

Stargate Atlantis is the most worthy sister show I ever came across. As a Star Trek fan none show ever made me leave Star Trek DS9. My Star Trek fandom began and ended with that show. No matter how much I enjoyed Voyager and Enterprise they did not sway me from my original.

Well Atlantis certainly swayed me away from Stargate SG1. As a scifi and a history lover the original movie peeked my interest immediatly I saw the first trailers and the news that it would be turned into a series with none other than Richard Dean Anderson was the best news I heard in a long time. When I heard about Atlantis I was a sceptic. What could they possible do that would be better than SG1??

Boy, was I wrong. I converted to Atlantism faster than a speeding bullet. I cannot explain what exactly it is that does it, but it certainly did turn my focus away from SG1. Sorry!
  • Better Then SG-1

When Atlatnis first started i was Worried that it wouldn't live up to te expectations of the Audience.. But with Directors such as Rober Coopers, Brad Wright and Peter Deluise, A Great Crew with Exceptional Writers and a Great Cast Who Could pass that up? This Spin off of Stargate SG-1 is better Because of the young and Fresh Acting, Great Plots and Excellent Camera Work. The Show is also Not Repetitive, Which i think Makes Stargate: Atlantis one of the best Sci-Fi shows on TV.
  • A great show, SG-1 is better though.

This is a very good show, almost as good as Stargate SG-1. Why almost? Because I feel that it lacks a little of the good old Stargate-feeling sometimes.
    Otherwise, it's a splendid show! The actors are great, the show has action drama and comedy, and the guestappearances from mStargate SG-1 are interesting. I especially like when they encounter the Ancients in different ways.
  • Better than the original

Stargate: Atlantis is a show that I didn't give a chance for quite a long time, because I knew it was based on Stargate SG1, which I don't like at all.

However, as chance would have it there were a couple of times a few months ago were I happened to have SciFi on and would catch the show pretty much by accident, and it actually grabbed my attention.

Atlantis, although a spinoff of SG1, is an almost completely different animal.

Instead of a continuing battle against the "evil" alien race that was behind the creation of the ancient Egyptian society (something I've thought was a corny premise ever since the original movie came out, and doesn't interest me enough to keep watching it), Atlantis is a show that has many more layers to it.

Due to the energy required the trip to Atlantis was a one-shot deal... they got there, they don't get to go home, and they don't get reinforcements. They have who they have, at least from Earth. And this was a research trip, not a military campaign - so although they do have a few guys with guns, there aren't enough there to use the "all problems can be solved with application of enough firepower" logic that SG1 seems to keep defaulting to.

The series does introduce a "universal bad guy" in the form of an alien race called the Wraith - a race that is nearly indistructable and feeds by draining the life force out of other life forms - and thus is feared by most of the galaxy and turns out to be a motivating factor behind they way many societies in the Pegasus galaxy turned out the way they did.

So in this show you have the aspects of a team from Earth trying to find a way back home, a purely evil enemy, interaction with other alien races they make contact with through the stargate.. some of which they befriend, others of which they don't get along with so well, and interestingly those races don't live in their own little bubbles, and interact with each other as well - creating alliances both with and against our main characters.

This is a show that as far as storyline goes I think personally has more of a Star Trek feel to it than a Stargate feel - and personally I think that's a good thing.
  • Better than the original

Atlantis, although a spinoff of SG1, is an almost completely different animal.

• s s s j j j j k k k k k k k k k k k k k , , , nm n j j k l l , , bl , , b f df fr g h jh kj kl l , , , ,

s s s j j j j k k k k k k k k k k k k k , , , nm n j j k l l , , b f df fr g h jh kj kl l , , , , m n n b b v v g g f df d s a a a xc v b b n n m m km k j j hhb n b g vfg h j m k jb v v y ct c ed v h j jk lk lkm mk m j
  • A show I was uncertain about in the beginning but with which I soon fell completely in love.

When I first heard that one of my all time favorite shows, Stargate SG-1, was going to be spun off into a sister series, all I could do was cringe at the thought and worry over what this would do to the credibility of such a fantastic show. I worried for nothing, it seems.

Stargate: Atlantis lives up to, and sometimes surpasses, the quality of it’s predecessor. The characters are well fleshed out and the storylines, although sometimes a bit campy (this *is* sci-fi after all), are always well written. When I first tuned in, I was worried about characters like Sheppard, Teyla and Ford. I was concerned that Sheppard was just going to be a carbon copy of Richard Dean Anderson’s O’Neill, that Teyla would be a 2-dimensional ‘alien’ character who never understood us and whom we ourselves never quite got, and finally, I was worried that Ford would be the jock to the scientists’ nerd. In the hands of lesser writers, directors and actors, these things *would* have occurred, but not in the hands of the cast a crew of Atlantis. They know their jobs and they perform them beautifully.

After watching a few episodes, I knew that my original fears were unjustified and that this was a show worth watching. Even then I wasn’t aware of the fact that it would slowly replace SG-1 as my favorite of the two. This was a realization that crept up on me slowly and finally pummeled me full force when I saw episodes 11, 12 and 13 (‘The Eye’, ‘Hot Zone’ and ‘The Defiant One’) for the first time. These three episodes are brilliant pieces of sci-fi art and should be shown to anyone who believes that sci-fi isn’t a worthwhile genre. In each one of these episodes, the special effects were great, but that’s not what made them brilliant, it was the emotional rollercoaster that they took you on and the deeper look into the hearts and minds of the characters that did that.

This show does what all of science fiction wishes it could do: insightful social commentary without being preachy. The episodes I mentioned above plus many others throughout the show are allegories of our modern day lives and our modern day values and it raises many questions: Is a preventative measure worth it if it doesn’t help everyone? Is it right to sacrifice one group of people to save your own? Just because you *can* do something, does it mean that you should? So many questions are raised in this show that you can apply to the real world if you choose to do so. If not, you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

All in all, I think this show is amazing and, even with its huge ratings successes, I think more people need to watch it, they wouldn’t be sorry.
  • Without a doubt one of my favorite series.

Before i saw the pilot i wasn't really a Stargate-fan. I had seen some episodes from Stargate SG-1 before i started watching Atlantis and i must say, i didn't like it so much. So i didn't have any high expectations for Stargate Atlantis, but after i saw the pilot i was amazed. From that moment, i were and still are a Stargate-fan. The pilot was really awesome, with the high budget and the good story it could have appeared on the cinema. I have seen all the episodes to 2-13 and most of them are perfect and exciting. However some are just boring and way too predictable, but only a few.

The first season you'll see a lot of the Pegasus Galaxy and how the others who are living there has been affected by the Wraith. They in Atlantis makes both friends and enemies, helps others from the Wraith and learn more and more about the Ancients. Although at the end of the first season it's war and Atlantis can no longer help others like they used to do. Most of the stories are good and they present the other cultures in the Pegasus in a great way. The Wraith are terrific and terrible at the same time and they did a great job doing a enemy worse than the Goa'uld. When you watch Atlantis you will also notice that the Wraith are not invincible and that they also have a weakness.
    It feels like this show is independent and actually different from SG-1 in many ways.

The characters in this show are (most of them) good and well created. Unlike most science-fiction series this show is not ruled by it's advanced technology, it's the characters who rule this show. That makes this show unique.
    The characters are also growing bigger as the show are getting bigger.

Stargate Atlantis is exciting, spectacular and funny at the same time. The advanced city mixed with the characters makes it great and one of my favorite show.

Wow!
  • Love it !!!

Stargate Atlantis it is a interesting way of seeing the stargate universe. A very good show with a lot of actions. I like the new tehnology and the new caracthers. The new world it is, in the same time, a rebrand of the Stargate SG1 series and a new story.
  • Good characterisation, good stories, interesting concept, and most importantly very entertaining.

When I first saw the pilot my expectations were low. It was really silly, the Wraith were even more evil and one-dimensional than the Goa'uld, and it seemed to have a few too many clichés.

The episode straight after, however, came with relief. It started to show signs of the series potential, with humour throughout, mainly from the characters chemistry.

Since then, the series seems to be getting gradually better. It's sticking to the same qualities that made SG-1 a success: story, characters and humour derived from the character's chemistry, with SFX used when necessary.

Too many science fiction TV shows and movies these days rely to heavily on SFX rather than stories and characters, trying to be all fast-paced, slick and pretty to watch(as long as you turn your brain off).

If more episodes are directed by Peter Deluise and less are directed by Martin Wood, then the series will continue to improve. If you accept the overall silliness of the Wraith, then you might just enjoy Stargate Atlantis.
  • Really really cool...

Well it's a spin off from Stargate SG-1 and I was having doubts if they could think of new scenarios and things... but they did a great job and it rules almost as much as SG-1 and I cant wait untill season 2 is out on dvd...
    And they're going to do a season 3 as well... so I'd say: a recomendation to everyone who would like to watch something exciting an interesting...
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12