Stargate Atlantis

Rising (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 16, 2004 on Syfy

• The discovery of a very ancient site in Antarctica brings Stargate personnel to investigate the makers of the Stargate's and the lost city of Atlantis. Major John Sheppard and Dr. Elizabeth Weir lead a one way mission to the Pegasus galaxy and Atlantis.

I saw this episode on SyFy Channel recently and it brought me to this series. What a wonderful mixture of Stargate and the lost city of Atlantis. The science and discovery is endless and brings a whole galaxy of possibilities.

Major Sheppard's obvious connection to the technology of the ancients and his skills otherwise make him the perfect choice as the military liaison for this mission. Sheppard played by Joe Flanigan is the leading character in this story. Robert Patrick plays the Colonel Sumner the military leader and Weir is played by Torri Higginson. The opening hour deals with getting to Atlantis and the failure of the power systems of the city which have obviously been abandoned for centuries.

We also see cameos from Richard Dean Anderson as General Jack O'Neill and Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson from the original Stargate SG-1.

The trip to Atlantis is a one way trip as the power needed to produce the trip is not available readily on Atlantis at this point and the people realize they may be stuck there on arrival.

Great opening episode and a wonderful story. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for reading...