Stargate Atlantis

Sanctuary

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 11, 2005 on Syfy

• Enter the Ascended Beings!

Well this episode has done it's part for me, i really loved it, which i don't say too often. Finally we get to meet an ascended being in Atlantis not just SG1, and oh boy what an Ancient. This looks like the beginning for something, both for Atlantis and on a more personal matter for Shepard, just not sure what. Although i was almost sure she IS an ascended being even from the first moments you gotta love the whole things building up. This tends to be inclined on the romantic side, and those feelings are sent through screen, add some wraiths, a rather brief action and well that alone is quite enough. I just hope the show turns on a more adventurous type from here on, regardless, this episode just...rocks!
  • See Summary

A very interesting episode. It has a good opening where Sheppard's Team is being attacked by the Wraith and out of nowhere comes a powerful burst of energy similar to lightning, which wipes out all of the Wraith Darts, but leaves the Atlantean ship entact. The team investigates on the planet and encounter an untouched civilization who live in peace and know know fear or hate, and they are led by a high priestess of Athar. This episode was similar to SG1's episodes Ascension, where Carter encounters a being who falls in love with her, and Maternal Instinct. So in this episode of Atlantis they finally encounter an Ancient Ascended Being, who was exiled by the others and left to protect her planet forever as punishment for interfering with the corporeal planes of existence. Overall a good episode, makes viewers feel like we are getting closer to learning more about the Ancients, but left wanting more!
  • This was a review written by cheekysu on the episode "Sanctuary."

[This review was written by cheekysu and rescued from TV Tome before it disappeared]

The team is being attacked by the Wraith, only to be saved by an energy burst (which to me looked like a tornado, albeit a very large one) from the planet below them. They land and encounter a love interest (Chaya) for John. Chaya regrets that she is unable to take care of the entire galaxy, but agrees to go back to Atlantis on the off chance they can talk her into it. Once there, Chaya and John have to cope with Rodney being a jerk (he may have had well-founded suspicions, but he could at least be discreet about it). Chaya, it turns out, is an ancient in exile. And John turns out to have been flirting with someone from another species.

Rodney's reaction to Chaya was just funny. He was being rude, and being a jerk, and was both spot on and way off at the same time regarding her identity. Although he does get credit for the best line of the episode, by telling John not to go "all Captain Kirk." Hee! I think that ship has already sailed, Rodney. Anyway, choosing to run scans on Chaya was just silly, I thought; he thinks she has sinister intent and is hiding her true identity, but it never occurs to him that she would figure out what he was doing?

I'm bothered by the fact that this show can appear to both honour the religious beliefs of others, while actually mocking them. The team is not at all convinced that Athar was the one who protected the planet, and Rodney and John were pretty obvious with their skepticism, leaving Teyla to smooth things over. I've noticed before that the beliefs of the Athosians are also not taken very seriously. However, I've also noticed a similar honour/mock tendency on the Star Trek series, so it may be a recurring theme in the sci-fi genre.

I have to say that Chaya's consequences for trying to save her people are pretty lousy. Not only is she alone most of the time, but it must be quite a bit of guilt to carry, that you have the ability to save more people but are not permitted to do so. So I have sympathy with her in the end.
    Written by: cheekysu
  • They may have found the one safe planet in the galaxy.

There are a few sugary romantic scenes in this episode. All those who want John to hook up with someone on the team were no doubt dismayed that he found someone from another planet. I was dismayed because I had already had dessert, and it was a bit too much sweetness for me. I'm all for the fun romantic tension and not so much for the moonlight picnics. However, they are both lonely and probably needed some flirting with someone just to break up the monotony. Cute, but not as much fun as Teyla and John fighting in the gym last week.

I'm bothered by the fact that this show can appear to honour the religious beliefs of others, while actually mocking them. The team is not at all convinced that Athar was the one who protected the planet, and Rodney and John were pretty obvious with their skepticism, leaving Teyla to smooth things over. I've noticed before that the beliefs of the Athosians are also not taken very seriously. However, I've also noticed a similar honour/mock tendency on the Star Trek series, so it may be a recurring theme in the sci-fi genre.

• The team from Atlantis discover a world untouched by the wraith (again). This time, it isn't protected just by an Ancient defense system.... it's protected by an Ancient!

When the team from Atlantis discover a world untouched by the wraith (again), they are suspect another relic of Ancient technology, and perhaps a ZPM energy source. This time, it isn't protected just by an Ancient defense system.... it's protected by an Ancient!

They meet with the planet's high priestess, Chaya, to discuss making the planet a sanctury for refugees. When she refuses, the team tries to persuade her to lend aid (whether it be shelter, or a look at the planet's defense system). The only one who seems to make any impression on her is Major Sheppard, who ends up befriending her and inviting her back on Atlantis.

Eventually, they work out that she isn't who she appears to be, and is more than a primitive from that world. She is an ascended Ancient, and protector of that planet -- but isn't permitted to intervene in the earthly affairs of humans.

Yes, a little predictable, but still a good story nonetheless. Hopefully we'll see more of her later, though she may just be forgotten about. It's too early for the Atlanteans to meet up with the Ancients and resolve their conflict with the wraith, being still Season 1.
  • This episode was alrite the teams finds a world protected by the ancients.

7.9
    The team is in orbit around the planet when a powerfull energy weapons destroys the wraith darts in the area. The team lands and soons learns that that the people living on the planet no nothing about this but then they are taken to see an actual ancient although they dont no this at the time. She comes back to Atlantis with them and McKay learns that she is an ancient she then leaves to protect her people.
  • The team asks for help from those who have been able to avoid conflict from the Wraith

6.9
    This is a fairly interesting episode. Sheppard falls in love with a woman who isn't what she appears to be. It's mainly a lot of talk and little action, but something things are worth watching. Something nothing really happens, there isn't really much to talk about. It's just a pretty standard sci-fi episode. The most interesting parts of this are the scenes when Sheppard makes a friend and starts to fall in love with her. Not the greatest of episodes and nothing that is crucial to the story line. "Sanctuary" is definitely an episode that can be skipped and doesn't have to be seen. Just average.
  • Encountering Acient

A beautiful episode. First the all surprise start by the fire fight and then the meeting on the planet with people who do not know nothing about the Wreight and have not met theme. And then all of the local goddess thing and Sheppard starting to act... how to say, romantically involved with that local priestess. And then back on Atlantis, all the talking between Sheppard and Teyla, all the explaining - it was really humorous and that is one part of this serie I like.

And all the thing later, McKay paranoia and then the realizing what they are encoutering - it was such a great thing to learn and even thought they did not gained nothing - they first met Ancients. And the way she get rid of the Wrights - first time that was a win against Wreight.
  • From the moment the Wraith got destroyed by a "Space Lightning", I was glued to my chair. It was a very good and well balanced episode where we got action and romance and it revealed more how ascended ancients behave and what their powers can do exactly.

From the moment the Wraith got destroyed by the "Space Lightning", I was glued to my chair and knew this was going to be a great episode. When the SG team landed on the planet and met the local tribe, the show gained a distinct Hawaiian/Polynesian vibe, nothing short of what looked like a utopian paradise. It was interesting to discover that the notion of advanced races protecting lower races was used again, like in the "Spirits" episode from Stargate: SG1. Only this time the advanced race was none other than an ascended ancient.

It took me a while to find out whether Chaya was the one responsible for saving the SG team, or that there was still someone pulling the strings above her. Either way, Leonor Varela, the actress who plays the role of Chaya, was a really stunning sight from the first glance and was perfectly selected to play an ancient. So it's no wonder half of the male crew was more than happy to welcome her to Atlantis. The love story that grew between Chaya and Sheppard was enchanting and the actors gave their all, making it really enjoyable to watch.

Rodney was annoyingly accurate in his judgment again when he confronted everyone with the fact that Chaya was in fact an ancient, even though he didn't have any solid proof. Also, the many Captain Kirk references were quite hilarious, which is why it's a pity there aren't more (diverse) references to other popular tv shows like that.

All in all, a very good and well balanced episode where we got action and a bit of romance and we got to know a little more about how ancients behave in their ascended state and what their powers can do exactly. Hopefully Chaya's character will return later, because it would be a shame to waste it.
  • Sheppard and his team are circling a planet when they are attacked by the Wraith. A electrical force emanating from the planet comes up and destroys the Wraith but not them. They go down to the planet to investigate finding a peaceful backwards society.

Very good episode that was an interesting and enlightening story that gives some insight into the Atlantian people.

The civilization which is pre-technological in nature seems to believe in an entity names Athar as a supreme being or authority. Athar keeps them well and provides for them. Sheppard, McKay, Ford, and Teyla speak with Chaya Sar the High Priestess of the people and invite her back to Atlantis to discuss a peace treaty. She agrees and obviously is attracted to Sheppard as well.

After a bio-scan D. Beckett concludes that Chaya is in more than perfect health as far as a human is concerned. Unfortunately the only problem with this episode is once again Dr. McKay and his holier than though my opinion is the only one worth following. He is bound and determined to get the technology that Chaya is obviously hiding from them. As always he has no idea what he is dealing with.

Chaya and Sheppard form a bond and in the end it is revealed that Chaya is Athar and that she is an Atlantian from the former civilization who ascended to the higher plane. She defended the people of the planet and the rest of the Atlantian's sentenced her to always be their keeper. So she has been their for centuries protecting these people keeping them in their constant state.

I hope this will be a story they revisit as I liked the chemistry between Sheppard and Athar. They made her seem very lonely which was sad. Of course you have to consider Teyla as she and Sheppard seem to be getting closer as well but nothing has happened to this point.

A wonderful episode that would have been a 10 without McKay and the way he handles things. Good acting and a very well written story. It was also nice to see the Wraith get their butts kicked for once. Thanks for reading...