Stargate Atlantis

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 01, 2007 on Syfy

• So terribly dissapointing. Is this science fiction, or a soap opera? And the ending? Why? One of my favorite characters gone - and for what?

I really do enjoy Atlantis. One of my favorite shows on TV. But this was possibly the worst of the series. Watching a dull, non-sci-fi story line from multiple angles in time simply made it that much more boring. The one moment of hope was the thought of a new discovery of Ancient technology - but then this fizzled out in just a few moments, and was frankly a bit hard to believe anyway. I don't watch the show for the gossip of the week: "Oh, he probably likes you, why don't you ask him out". Who cares? Lets see some interesting, intreguing way to look at the universe, as they've done so well in the past! And the ending... the whole reason I took the time to write this review - this was terrible and a complete waste - I really enjoyed Carson's character. A replacement would simply be substandard to his part. Very sad to see this low level of quality in the Stargate franchise.
  • This is one of the great episodes of Stargate Atlantis...

In this episode Dr. Beckett dies and this is also a very emotional for the character as well as the audience. This episode shows the characters interacting with each other without the restrictions of the mission. It was also very funny to see Sheppard and Ronon talking and playing golf. We also learn that Col Sheppard was once married and Ronon was once engaged. This episode was the one where the audience learns more about the characters including the way Dr Weir feels about dating a person on Atlantis, Maj Lorne's family and interest in painting, McKay's relationship and Telya's feelings for a guy. This is one of the great episodes and a must watch for any fan or any one interested in the show.
  • Yes, this is the episode you've heard so much about… Spoilers if you continue…

Yes, this is the episode you've heard so much about…

Spoilers if you continue…

They kill off Carson Beckett in this episode. He's as dead as you can get in Sci-Fi. A habit the producers are going to carry forward for awhile.

There's some really good writing here considering that there are only two events in the show and they're both explosions. The first explosion opens the story and is then is retold through "hours earlier…" segments each of which adds more about the explosion and successfully continually raises the stakes.

This format also presents different "character moments." In a (few) nutshells, a day of rest has been ordered. Everyone has their own plans. Weir is working until a fast-talking slime ball (Mike Branton) emerges. We've never seen him before and probably never will again. He asks Weir to lunch…just a lunch. Nothing else. Nothing wrong with that? Yeah, he only wants to steal broccoli off of her executive lunch plate. She goes along with it and definitely goes beyond appropriate bounds considering her leadership position. Sheppard and Rowan hit golf balls out into the water. After that, they hit each other with sticks. Eventually, they end up in Sheppard's room reading magazines, drinking beer, slapping beer cans into their heads, and talking about women. Rodney's "hours earlier…" goes back to yelling at two doctors for turning on a piece of Ancient equipment and possibly being irradiated. He's also supposed to go fishing with Carson Beckett but begs off by making a lunch date with Katy Brown. Now the whole fishing thing is a little "fishy." By not going with Carson to the mainland to fish, Rodney keeps Carson on the base so he can later get killed. But, why would Carson want to fish on the mainland when he's on the planet's largest floating pier?

Now, it seems that the two doctors who turned on the Ancient equipment were irradiated by it so that they are developing exploded tumors. Yes, exploding tumors are what caused the first explosion. There's a great deal of exposition explaining how the tumors gather chemicals in the body, concentrate them, and then explode. Too bad they don't spend any time explaining why the Ancients (or anyone else) would try and develop such an unpredictable weapon. It definitely makes the whole exploding tumors look like a bad contrivance. Okay, let's just say it: It IS a ridiculous contrivance that detracts from an otherwise well-written episode. Well, Beckett operates to remove the second, still unexploded tumor and just as soon as he delivers it to the bomb squad technician, it goes off. Carson Beckett is killed. Apparently the technician (who was closer to the tumor) must have survived because only Beckett's casket is given a farewell at the gate and returned to Earth. And, that farewell scene is very nicely staged and could illicit tears.

Like everyone else, I wasn't happy they killed off Beckett. We do have a certain level of investment with the characters (especially those who are considered leads). However, this is Sci-Fi. Nobody has to stay dead. The ending fantasy sequence between McKay and Beckett hints in such a direction. That leaves my only gripe about this episode to the "mainland fishing idea" and the whole exploding tumor contrivance.
  • See Summary

Sunday was an episode full of every day routines, windows into the lives of Atlantis Team Members, and tragic loss. The Atlantis Expedition is going well, but no one ever gets a day off naturally, as there is always something happening. Everyone is required to take the day off, and it is interesting to see what people choose to do. Some can not help but continue working. Weir is talked into going to lunch with a fellow expedition member, and though she is weary of the possibility it is nice to see that these people are real, and still have basic needs and desires. An explosion disrupts everything, and everyones day of rest and relaxation turns into tragedy. There is a great loss at the end of the episode. A beloved character loses his life in a final act of bravery and compassion for human life. He will be missed terribly not only by his fellow team members, but us the viewers as well. This episode was somewhat shocking because of what happened, as it was very unexpected.
  • Character development and a killing of an episode. This was so bottom of the barrel one has to wonder if the writers are loosing the plot!!

4.2
    When you have a good actor, you need to keep them. But sometimes good actors don't seem to stay. This episode was some what scattered, focusing around the personal life of the characters and trying to build a story which didn't do SGA justice.

Carson who is one of my favorite actors ends up being taken out by a tumor bomb! Yes it sounds wrong, but this is what the script writers came up with and in a way this is rather annoying. Alas Carson did get to save the other guy's life, but in the end he lost his own.

Other than seeing a few flings and talk of coupling "Sunday" was a chill-out episode that should be delete. For it doesn't fit the gene of Science fiction and became a seriously bad filler episode.

The final ending scene brought a reality back that Carson is now gone. But what annoys me more is the fact in the time line, Carson lives on.

One can only hope, that things get better, because at this rate you can only loose viewers.
  • A day of rest and relaxation ends in disaster.

As the show continued to gain in popularity, one of the biggest fan criticisms was that the core group didn't have the camaraderie of SG1. Season 3 had many attempts to do so, including this episode. We got to see them not just as scientists and military, but as real people.

Weir is given a potential romantic interest, but due to being leader of the expedition tries to maintain a professional distance. She and Teyla even get to act like girlfriends discussing a hot date. Sheppard is given a buddy to hang out with in Ronan, a relationship he could never really develop with Ford or McKay. As they hang out they enjoy having fun with sports, violence, beer, junk food and music. McKay ditches a fishing trip with his Beckett to be with his girlfriend. Zelenka is the undisputed champ of the chess club. Lorne is a gifted painter taught by his mother. And Beckett, friend to all, floats in and out of everybody's stories trying to find a fishing companion.

Teyla is injured terribly, and the atmosphere shifts. As the story begins to take a more serious turn, the danger seems almost ludicrous but no less unbelievable (in comparison to an appendix). And, naturally, once the disaster is thought to be over something happens to a main character that is still quite unbelievable. The character goes down doing their duty, trying to save someone to the best of their ability. The story itself is well written, unexpected, and a natural tearjerker. Even after several watchings the last few minutes are incredibly emotional. While the eulogy itself makes one want to cry, the ending makes it powerful. The character is allowed a final farewell through the imagination of their best friend.
  • A surprisingly powerful and affecting episode aided by a well-executed non-linear narrative.

The writers deserve a lot of credit for putting together a non-traditional narrative that builds tension as well as this one; it could've been a disaster, but was quite the opposite. I'm saddened to see a great character go, but it's good to see his final moments so well constructed. Beginning in the middle, flashing backwards, and then resuming to move forwards, the story adds layers of complexity and suspense with each new turn; the explosion provides a great focal point for the narrative.

On the downside, while the writers have mastered suspense, they still are a little irregular with good old-fashioned human emotion; after the good doctor's death, the episode slid dangerously close to being cloying and emotionally contrived.
  • Crying...

I do not know.. I just do not know what to write after this. The most of the episode - all that pointless chatting and people having free day - it was different to see another angle and quite interesting too, but... But it was just all to built up the storyline and the mood to the real breaking point... and the aftercome.. I knew that it was coming, so - it was not too big shock but the moment it happened - it was painful to watch.. and all after.. McKay first time not wining.. and Weir's words.. and the end scene with that gorgeous view to Atlantis.. I just cry.. I have no words to say.. I liked Carson's char so much - he was the reason why I started to watch the show.. the first time I saw that char, there was something different what you cannot see not on many chars on sci-fi - there was so much of human soul, kindness, not that kind of have to be hero attitude, caring..
  • The End of an Era

It is never easy for writers to write an episode that is intended to remove a main character. This has been done so many times in so many shows that it becomes formulaic. Congratulations on making this format different. The constant change of time frames ( a device used several times in Atlantis ) serves to give the episode an uncomfortable feeling that makes the shock of his death even more profound. It must have been tempting to have him die deliberately to save others..I am glad they dodged that ending. Carson was not a swashbuckling hero. He WAS a caring individual and that he should die helping others was 100% on the mark. The very end was a little strange but by then i suspect most people were watching through a handkerchief anyhow so we can forgive them that.

Atlantis has lost not only it's most brilliant healer but it's moral compass...the latter will be much harder to replace.

farewell carson
  • A great story if you want to kill off a character and make the audience cry but sadly its not up to par with what I expect from Stargate. Also out of every character Carson should be the last to go except for Mckay! They should have killed of Dr Wier!

1.5
    I was looking forward to this episode of Atlantis. When I heard Carson was going to die I wanted to see this episode even more. I love the Dr. Carson Becket character and hoped he'd die in a meaningful way. Sure it was emotional but IT WAS POINTLESS. And by an explosive tumer. What were they thinking!!! Also in this episode they say they might have a cure for Leukaemia!!! How does that make sence. Saying that they've got a cure for a type of cancer. Thats to unbelievable. But dont let these things stop you from watching it. The only thing worse than the supposed SCI-FI story was the bad sub plot involving the relationship of Dr Wier and a guy we've never seen before. I DON'T CARE. She's the worst character. If they did the same in Season 3 of SG1 involving General Hamand it probably wouldn't have had another 7 seasons. This episode lacked SCI-FI elements, the biology in it was stupid and unbelievable and there were stupid love plots going on in between the action.

P.S. Martin Gero (Writer) and William Waring (Director) just because you have the ability to use a subtitle to do a flashback and show things that happened in the past DOES NOT mean you should!!!
  • Goodbye Carson.

In this episode we say goodbye to one of the main cast Dr. Beckett. I really loved his character from the first season and it really does not feel right saying goodbye but i guess the good news is that he will be back for two episodes in season 4. This episode was really fantastic and it was yet another great episode from a great season of Stargate Atlantis. This show really is doing well considering that it is only in it's third season. So far i think the writers are doing everything right, each week i am blown away by the choices of stories they tell. This episode will definatly remain a favourite amoung fans.
  • Not the best of episodes, but I still cried.

Although I cried at the end at the lost of what has come to be a good friend, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I have others. The story telling devices were confusing and a bit silly and the soap opera like moments made me gag a little. There were a few funny moments, which is something I've come to expect, but not nearly enough to make up for the boredom I felt at most of the episode. I was very sad to see Dr. Beckett die at the end because he is my favorite character, but I hope the show doesn't completely dissolve now that he has gone.

Hopefully the show will pick back up again.
  • a slightly boreing and pointless episode with a crazy ending...

Basically, Sunday is a day off for the personell in Atlantis and Carson is excited to go on a fishing trip to the mainland. John and Ronan are basically beating each other at games and Weir gets a boyfriend. There was little action and a lot of boreing talking. Of course, then there are explosions and apparently two people have explosive tumors. What a weird idea...I mean, seriously, explosive tumors? Anyways, after McKay turned Carson down for the fishing trip Carson does an operation to take out the explosive tumor and hands it off. Then it blows up as he is walking away and he dies. It was pretty sad. They did a great job with the death because they didn't dwell on it and it was just simply sad. I loved Carson and it was sad to see him go, but maybe some new characters will take his place and the show will do better. Who knows? At least they let him have a heroic death.
  • This episode is about Carson Beckett leaving the show.

This episode surprised me - in a bad way. Beckett was recently made a main character on the show and never really had any episodes about him. For this reason I was not expecting this to happen. I was actually liking the episode up until the end. It's probably my least favorite Atlantis episode of all time. I heard they did it for higher ratings. What I don't get is why shows get rid of well-liked characters and expect to get higher ratings. It seems to me that getting rid of good characters is the opposite of what they should be doing. If a character is loved by the audience they should keep the character on the show and have more episodes about him, not get rid of him. I think it was a mistake to get rid of Beckett and the show would have been much better with him on it. They should find a way to bring him back on the show, like with Daniel on SG-1.
  • A good, if imperfect, end for a fan favorite

Without question, this is an episode designed to stir up fandom. The entire situation is contrived to bring about the death of Dr. Carson Beckett, a fan favorite who has rarely been given the time or depth deserved. One could argue that the episode serves the purpose of setting other plot thread in motion as well, but the flow of the episode makes it more likely that the end goal was in mind and the rest came after.

All things being equal, the body count has never matches the inherent dangers faced by Team Atlantis. They’ve lost Ford, but that was mostly an issue of cast chemistry. Frankly, I’m shocked that the character was given the kind of long-term exit he was given. Minor characters have been killed here and there, but like most episodic genre series, the longevity of the cast becomes a liability to any sense of realism.

Sooner or later, a main character has to die when so many dangers abound. The trick is to make the death seem organic in the storytelling, the logical consequence of statistics or personal destiny. Even the best writers run into trouble when that moment comes. This is actually not a bad attempt at giving a character a strong send-off, as he’s actually doing what he does best: saving lives that would otherwise be lost.

The structure of the episode gives it a “lower decks” feeling. The writers don’t try to build too much plot around Beckett’s death; they take the time to explore what the characters were doing in the quiet moments before the crisis comes. Some of that time is even spent on characters other than Sheppard and McKay, which is a nice touch.

Once again, it seems like McKay is acting without a shred of consideration to the events of “The Tao of Rodney”, especially at the beginning of the episode. He also seems to forget the incidents, earlier in the series, where his ability to work his way out of a deadly situation was only marginally successful. Whatever the case, this is another episode that should leave McKay with lasting consequences, and it will be disappointing if that doesn’t happen. (The romance angle could also help humanize him, though it’s disappointing to have this apparent long-term development come seemingly out of nowhere.)

Sheppard’s growing rapport with Ronon is always fun to see. I’d like to see more depth to Ronon (which is pretty much a constant complaint at this point), but this sets up the possibility of John and Ronon vying for Teyla’s affections. It’s about time that the writers recalled that John and Teyla had been dancing around each other in the first season, and while I’m usually annoyed by inane relationship drama, it may lead to character development. As rare as that can be, it’s a welcome possibility.

There’s also the possibility of romance for Weir, though that’s more of a negative for her than a positive. If there’s one long-term character arc that has been sporadically building this season, it’s Weir and her embattled position as the head of Team Atlantis. On several occasions, I’ve wondered if Weir’s choices would come back to haunt her, and the writers have never taken it as far as they could (or should) have. Questions could come up regarding Weir’s activities during the time leading to Beckett’s death, and it could add to the long list of reasons why the IOA might want someone else in the leadership role.

This will probably never be listed as anyone’s favorite episode, since it is overwhelmed by the seemingly unnecessary death of Dr. Beckett. It had its moments, however, and if certain character elements remain in the forefront after coming up in this hour, then the episode might make better sense in the long run. The worst thing that could happen is the most obvious, given the history of the “Stargate” franchise: that Beckett’s death would be largely ignored and barely referenced.
  • Hard to watch because of the backward storytelling, terrible ending

7.6
    This episode is very hard to watch. It bounces backward and forward in time more than Memento, and for much the same intended reason. It just doesn't work out very well in this case--this story didn't need to be told backward.

Really, all of that just served to get Beckett to be performing surgery on the right patient when someone figured out what the patient's real problem was.

Presumably the patient survived, but we don't know about that. All we do know for sure is that the tumor was removed, and what happened afterward. The ending hit kinda hard, even though once the shock wore off a little, I realized that this episode was literally the same thing that happened in SG-1 season 7. Somehow it wound up being a good episode anyway, but it certainly wasn't a great one.
  • An otherwise run of the mill episode with a terrible ending.

4.8
    It didn't start promisingly, with girltalk between Teyla and the woman who would go "boom." It went downhill with the constantly recapped scene of the explosion. I hated that in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Cause and Effect" and I still hate it now. Move the episode forward, don't keep jumping back. But the episode really hit rock bottom with Beckett's demise.

It's not that he should or shouldn't have died. It's how he died. This is supposed to be a smart man? Yes, I get it, it's the usual bleeding heart "I'm a doctor and I must always try to help" tripe that TV physicians always spout. But in real life, doctors know when to practice triage. He could have let one man die. Instead, he chose to risk losing three lives, the man, himself and the nurse. In the end, his decision cost two lives, the bomb disposal man and himself, all because he thought he was some kind of medical superman. Rodney was no better with his self-pitying "If only I'd gone fishing with him today..." While Rodney is supposed to be a genius, this shows the writers aren't geniuses. If the two of them had gone fishing, then both Carson and Rodney wouldn't have been around after the first explosion. Rodney wouldn't have figured out what caused it and without his warning, the second explosion would have taken out the medical section, all the injured and all the medical personnel working on them. Rodney isn't stupid enough to not realize he saved a lot of lives by being there instead of "gone fishin'."

All in all, sloppy writing.
  • Holy Hannah. I'm still stunned. It's hard believe he's gone. Okay, I think finally talk about the episode now. It took me almost a whole day to get over that horrible incident.

Well, I thought that the episode was really really good. I did not see *gulps* Carson's death (still hard to say) coming at all. It was so sudden that I was honestly and completely shocked. It kind reminded me of SG-1's Heroes 1 & 2. Where part 1 was the light hearted side of the story, and then part 2 was the downer when Janet Frasier died. Except, with Sunday, it was all in one episode. I mean I was loving it with the different character development plots. It was nice seeing the crew all relaxed, and learning their favorite hobbies and interests. Hey.....who knew Major Lorne could paint. :) Also, it ws nice hearing Joe Mallozzi's name mentioned in the show....."Dr. Mallozzi?" ;) But, I seriously thought that Carson would get out okay. I had no idea. What was about to happen to him. I mean, after that horrible incident with Carson, I was crying.....I mean literally sobbing with tears gushing out of my eyes....all the way till the end of the episode. I liked the Rodney and Ronon moment. I thought was really nice. I felt so bad for Rodney has he felt responsible, and I thought it was really touching when Ronon was consoling Rodney. That was a nice moment. I also loved the moment with Rodney and Carson's spirit. That was touching beyond words. I'm still completely stunned. :(
  • If they turn this into a sci fi soap opera, I will scream!

Okay, so I loved this episode. Carson is my favorite character, and I am heartbroken. I do think, however, that the post-modern literary device of telling the story from many perspectives was very well done. The writing was amazing! It was nice to see interactions between the characters outside of the "action" stuff. I'm beginning to really like Rodney. Ronon is a great character as well - and we are seeing more of a human side of him every week. His interactions with Rodney are classic.

I just have to say this, though. Especially with the news that Teyla's character will be pregnant next season. Oh God Don't make this a Sci Fi soap opera. The allusion to Teyla and John having a love relationship - that completely jumps the shark for me. They work together, he is her "commanding officer" for lack of a better term. If she ends up pregnant with his kid, the dynamic of the show will be totally shot. Having the show become a sort of soap opera of young adventurers in love will be tantamount to the young doctors in love theme that makes ER so tedious. I hope they avoid that!

That being said, this episode was wonderfully and warm and I couldn't stop crying, and I am so glad that if they had to kill Beckett (questionable decision if you ask me) that they did it honorably. He was a wonderful character, and I will miss him so much!
  • A free day in Atlantis...Although it starts normal, it turns out to be anything but!!!

This episode was enjoyable, but it also proved to be a very sad one...The main idea is a free day given to the most important characters of Atlantis...It starts out OK, but it soon evolves into a dangerous situation...McKay give 2 doctors the assignment to catalogue an ancient lab in Atlantis...But this lab is emitting radiation and the two doctors are infected with a tumor that has the main effect to blow-up those it infects...So after the first doctor dies, it is up to McKay and his team to save the day...He discovers the other doctor in the lab of Becket and tries to convince him to leave the room...But Becket refuses and his stubbornness will prove fatal to him...The death of Carson Becket wasn't a good thing because i sympathized with the guy...But the episode leaves the impression that we may still have the opportunity to see him in action...Also a good part of this episode is the flashback with what the main characters of this show were doing before the blow-up...9.5/10.
  • A little bit of a different story line and well done.

To see the episode around Carson and Rodney was different. Watching the fact that while they are friends that at times Rodney can only take Carson in small doses. I have friends like that. See them once in a while, we catch up, and then wait a few months and see each other again.
    This episode has a few teasers in it. Are John and Tayla going to be a thing? Is Elizabeth going to have a love interest?
    Carson will be missed? They will have a new character in that position but maybe not as big a role, or maybe Rodney will dedicate his life to medicine of the ancients and pave the way for Samantha Carter to be there next season.
    Whatever the way the dice rolls, this series will have the Wraith, the paper pushers from Earth and a few more ideas. The Ori will not bother, unless they come to convert the Wraith and become dinner.
  • Tragic in all ways. Heroic and extremely well-written, but tragic. We'll miss you, Carson.

This was one of the most terrific episodes I have ever watched of Stargate Atlantis. Even though I would have 100% rather have had Carson survive, no other episode of Atlantis has made me laugh, cry, and keep me on the edge of my seat until the very last second. I laughed at the cute interactions between the characters--i'm a supporter of both Teyla/Sheppard and Teylay/Ronon, so this episode didn't disappoint--and I have an inkling that the person Teyla may have been talking about at the beginning with the girl who blew up may have been Carson. Just a tiny inkling. But oh, Carson, why did you have to die?!?!?!? You were one of my favorites!!! The show will never be the same!!! How can they replace you????????? You will be missed, Carson, have no doubt about that.
  • I was enjoying all of the flashback sequences, following each cast member run up to an explosion in the city. Then the shocking final moments.

It is always disappointing to see a cast member who I like gone, especially when it was completely unexpected and shocking. The clever plot follows each cast member on their day off in the hours prior to an explosion in the city.

The cast is typically human, resisting rest, especially the chosen rest of each other. How many of us have spent a weekend avoiding others for similar reasons?

The hour coming to an end, I was expecting the cast to solve the explosion problem and they did. Trouble is, while Carson (Paul McGillion) was walking away from turning over the last bomb to the bomb disposal unit, it explodes. Carson was dead. In the few remaining emotion packed scenes, Carson was eulogized, sent home to Earth for burial and finally "visited" Dr McKay for one last personal moment.

I had grown to like the Carson character this year and was happy to see he became a principle. I am sorry he is gone and will miss him.
  • Great episode with a tragic ending.

This episode was such an emotional show because of the ending. I had already read about Carson leaving the show but I did not know when or how. I definitely did not think, by no means, that he was going to be killed off the show. I thought that I had read that he would possibly be written back in a later episode. Not if he's dead! Carson had such an important role in the show, so I don't know how the writers are going to replace that particular role. He was a one of a kind. But this is the acting world; I guess they might come up with a new character. The show has great actors and the rest of the episode was really great. Rodney is really coming out of shell and we are seeing more of his heart and I like that.
  • It's Sunday, a mandatory rest day. As Carson tries to find someone to go fishing with him (as Rodney also not-so-subtely backs out), an explosion rocks the city. And in an act of bravery, Carson saves someone and puts his own life in peril.

If I were a crier, I would've cried at the end of the episode. Seeing the Scottish flag draping a casket, and seeing one of my beloved characters written off made the episode hard to watch. The only problem I had was the premise of the danger. Exploding tumors?? Definitely original, but even for Atlantis it was a stretch. But Carson's bravery in performing the surgery was remarkable. Elizabeth's date and John and Ronon were appropriate to lighten the episode given its heavier undertones.

The cast did a fine job with the material. Rodney, in his own way, showed that Carson's death hit him hard.
  • "...He was my North, my South, my East, my West. My working week and my Sunday rest.

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song, I thought love would last forever: I was wrong. The stars are not wanted now, put out every one. Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun. Pour out the ocean and sweep up the wood, For nothing now can ever come to any good."

It was supposed to be about a day off, it was supposed to be about an explosion during a day off, it was supposed to be about the different views the personal had about the explosion that occurs during a day off. It turned out to be something completely different.

How could this be? Carson Beckett was always there from the beginning to heal them all both in body and spirit: Would’ve Teyla been more grateful have she known she was his last patient? Would’ve Weir shared one more confidence with him? Would’ve Lorn show him more paintings have he known this was his last chance? Would’ve Rodney or Zelenka go to one last fishing trip with him? Would’ve Cadwell kiss him a last time? You could always count on him to say the right word, to give the kind smile or just being there when you needed him the most. Now he’s gone and all of the sudden the City has gone cold and the place lost all its warmth. Where he stood there’s a void, where he laughed there’s no sound, there’s no doctor who can heal this wound, there’re no words that could ease his departure, there’s no Carson ...no more.
  • This was a great episode I did not buy the whole thing about exploding tumors. I also liked the fact that they showed the team finally relaxing, and just let them hang out and it also showed what they liked to do during their time off.

7.4
    I liked the fact that they let Elizabeth, get over being alone and letting her be able to seek out some sort of relationship. The part that I did not come to like was that they killed off Beckett. After all that he has done save Elizabeth and the team several times, he was a in a part of the team. But it was no surprise, considering how they killed of the doctor form SG1. I just hope that they won’t be killing off any of the other characters.
  • The writers and producrs have made a big mistake.

This episode could have been really good.There was nothing wrong as such with the story,
    the script or the acting.There was one slight problem though which means it gets a 4 for a rating..........They Killed Off Dr Carson Beckett!!!!!!
    That has to rate as one of the stupidest things ever.Why kill off a much loved
    member of the team just to "shake things up"? I don't see how killing Carson is going to enhance the storylines any or make things different other than the viewers are missing
    out on a great,loving and funny character who added to every show he was in!

The idea of exploding tumours was a little farfetched but it made for a fairly decent story.
    It was nice to see the Atlantis crew having a day off and doing something other than fighting with an enemy,and the team speculating on Teyla and Sheppard is something the
    viewers have probably been doing for a long time so it was nice they included that.
    I have to say though this is my least favourite Atlantis episode ever.It had me crying from
    the moment Carson died and I don't think I have stopped much since (sad I know! just a tv show..blah blah)but you get so involved sometimes and I don't like the fact they have
    killed off my favourite character.
    The writers and producers should be ashamed of themselves and think of a way to bring
    him back to sort out the mess that they have created or I predict a loss of viewers from
    now on!!
  • Heart-wrenching really. But it just felt off all episode.

It seemed to me that nothing really happened in that episode apart from killing off Dr Beckett.
    Now that makes me angry. There was no real storyline, infact the storyline was just an excuse to get rid of a well loved charater I think.
    Apart from my obvious anger at Beckett being gone, I did think it was a well acted episode. Rodney is obviously feeling the guilt, and I myself, shouted at the screen that he should have just gone fishing with him.
    I also enjoyed the john and Ronon moments. Was anyone else a little uncomfortable when Elizabeth was kissing that guy?
    I just keep coming back to the fact that nothing improved the storyline, and yet we are minus my favourite character, he didn't even go out in a pivotal episode. They kept him true to himself right up until the end though, and that just makes me love him more.
    I apologise for my rambling I am still a bit undecided about this episode. Teyla's tribute to him at the end was very sweet, when she decided that she had to stand. And I also couldn't help comparing this to Fraiser's funeral in SG-1. Unfortunately this did not seem to be given the same attention that she did, which makes me sad.
  • This was good - and I don't often say that...

Long live Dr Beckett.
    This episode is great. Atlantis is truly at its best when it is telling of the characters rather than the cliched scifi plots. Carson is one of the best characters, and its a shame to kill him off, but what can you do? Aside from the ending, Sunday is a light, humourous story showing the team at rest. One of the best ever Atlantis episodes.

Sheppard: You dating anyone?
    Ronon: You mean like a woman?
    Sheppard: Or a man...