Stargate Atlantis

The Daedalus Variations

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 01, 2008 on Syfy

• At long last, an episode that uses something imaginative as a plot mechanism instead of a rip-off from every other Sci-Fi show in the last 30 years.

From time to time, Stargate has dabbled in alternate worlds. The Ancients left the occasional machine around that would cause alternate worlds to be contacted, and we'd often get a glimpse into the future of "our" world through the alternate worlds. We got an early warning about Apophis' invasion of Earth at one point, and at another the Ori were foreshadowed.

We've seen the alternate realities played with a bit in Atlantis, too, when an alternate team's energy source endangered "our" universe, as some alternate realities learned to tap into others for energy. That was a natural consequence of a previous episode, and this episode was a logical consequence of that one - that a drive would be invented allowing the travel between alternate realities.

This kind of thing is why I still watch Stargate - they can occasionally use a good hardcore Science Fiction concept and explore it intelligently instead of falling back on lazy clichéd plots. It doesn't happen nearly enough, these days, but when it does it's a joy.