Stargate Atlantis

The Daedalus Variations

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 01, 2008 on Syfy

• A brilliantly crafted episode balancing character moments and visual effects action. It will leave you wanting more!

When I first saw this episode, I was excited from start to finish. It may be a bottle show but it's one that combines excellent writing, directing and visual effects which, in my opinion, makes it one of the best of season five. Plus, it's always great to see more of the Daedalus so this episode instantly won me over.

So, from the get go we realise that something is wrong when a deserted ship appears out of nowhere and it becomes apparant fairly early on that this isn't "our" Daedalus. I like how the bridge set was subtly redressed with different plexiglass screens, consoles and lighting effects giving that hint that it is indeed a different ship, and the female commander was a nice touch too.

It was refreshing to have an episode where the Wraith didn't play a prominent role and we could see the team deal with an unexpected and unknown situation akin to some of those classic SG-1 episodes.

The acting and story throughout was great as usual and the visual effects are second to none (though there were a few sneaky re-uses in there!). I especially liked the unknown alien ship and it's fighters. Though it may have been slightly contrived it they appeared again in our universe, I couldn't help wanting to know more about them - who they were? Where they came from? Were they the equivalent of the Wraith in the alternate reality? So many questions, but who knows?!

There are some minor criticisms of the this episode, however, most notably the lack of Robert Picardo (Richard Woolsey). Though Kavan Smith (Maj. Lorne) did an excellent job in the few scenes he had, it still felt like the leader of the base should have been present, at the very least toward the end of the episode. Furthermore, McKay's "Deus Ex Machina" way of getting out of impossible situations is getting a little tiresome though it doesn't bring the story down too much.

Overall, a very well written and directed episode with some great character moments aswell. In my opinion, this definately deserves 9/10. One of the best this season.