Stargate Atlantis

The Gift

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 11, 2005 on Syfy

• Teyla like many others on Atlantis is experiencing nightmares. In her case after some investigation it is suggested that she possesses Wraith DNA in her gene pool making it possible for her to communicate telepathically with the Wraith.

Very introspective and stunning episode in which we learn that Teyla's family comes from stock that was genetically altered by a Wraith scientist. This was another episode I was skeptical about but in the end was quite fascinating. Sgt. Bates can be a little annoying at times but this time he does come through being prepared for the worse. He actually saves Teyla and the team from being permanently damaged.

The capability Teyla now possesses does tell Weir that the Wraith are coming to Atlantis to figure out a way to Earth as they are all awake and don't have the populations to feed on.

Also the revelation that the Wraith are a by product of humans left on a planet by the Ancients is a fantastic breakthrough. Maybe they can be better understood. They are obviously reaching a crisis level in their society themselves. It says something for their culture. Also it is interesting that I don't think the Wraith can feed on themselves or a person with that DNA is not susceptible to being culled in the normal way. Witness the fact that the Wraith came back and destroyed the civilization in which the experiments were done on.

We also met Psychologist Kate Heightmeyer played by Claire Rankin who is an interesting character that hopefully we'll see more of in the future.

Really in the end I'm not sure they learned anything other than the Wraith want Weir and Atlantis for the purpose of going to Earth. It's not that big a difference but maybe a direct attack will not occur. It will be interesting to see. Thanks for reading...