Stargate Atlantis

The Intruder

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 22, 2005 on Syfy

• this episode can be considered as an epilogue episode to the Siege trilogy...

over all, i liked this episode. i can see that some people wouldn't like this episode because nothing new happens but i disagree. this episode wasn't about starting something new. it was about bring closure to last year's episodes.

the strong point of this episode was the senior staff being back home at Stargate Command. they had to deal with the ramifications of their actions on Atlantis and, my favorite scene, was them explaining that Ford might be lost to his family. it was almost touching.

Dr. Weir took it that hardest in this episode. you have to watch it because i'm not going to spoil anything but you really feel bad for her. this scene was very nicely written.

i was thinking about giving this episode a 9 but i cranked it up to 9.3 because my new favorite character was in the episode. i love the alien in engineering!!! it makes sense. some of the technology is beyond what humans have experience and they need someone to handle it. i always wondered how long until they had an asgardian character. i'm glad it's on Atlantis. I love how he (or she or does Asgardians have gender? they don't even have sex anymore!) swears under his breath in his native tongue. very nicely done!

the hmmm point of this episode is would the u.s. government really spend billions of dollars to build a spaceship than risk losing it sending it on missions between Earth and Atlantis? i spend time thinking about that question than i remember that this is just a television show built to entertain me.

and it suceeded. this episode was very entertaining and should be watched on this fact alone (plus the alien is really cool!).
  • Alternate Reality? You might be wondering why I say that. If so read my review.

Yes this was like an alternate reality, but in a good way. Very little of this episode took place in the typical Atlantis envirnment and I for one loved it. Most of the story takes place on the Daedalus with flashbacks to meetings on Earth. To be honest I'm sold on the Daedalus its my favorite thing about the show. If Jack O'Neil is now the head of Homeworld Security I hope he's making a whole fleet of ships like the the Daedalus.

It was great to see Sheppard get a well earned promotion, and I for one am interested to see how much tension develops between Caldwell and Sheppard. And once again it was nice to see the Asgard afterall they are my favorite Stargate characters.

Overall a good episode, and the idea of a Wraith computer virus was something I found quite interesting. I'll be interested to see what countermeasures are developed.
  • After returning to Earth for a short visit the Atlantis team returns with additional replacements for the city. We learn some information about a few of the main characters and the Wraith had planted a virus on the Daedalus which has to be dealt with.

Not a bad episode but too much is covered in this one short episode.

We have a number of storylines. Lt. Colonel Sheppard's promotion and his visit to Ford's cousin. Weir's overriding the military command and forcing them to promote Major Sheppard to Lt. Colonel. Weir's marriage coming to an end. The selection of new members for the Atlantis team as they have a fully charge ZPM and the city can support more people now. Dr. Monroe and Dr. Lindstrom are killed aboard the Daedalus on its return trip to Atlantis after they discover a virus has been infecting the computer system. The discovery is then made by McKay and the rest of the crew but McKay recognizes it as Wraith in origin.

They try a number of times to wipe the virus without success and it takes over the navigation system and one of the 302 fighters. In the end Sheppard shoots down the fighter before it can send the Daedalus into the corona of a nearby star. This after a number of different solutions and perils are gone through.

In other words, too much going on for one episode. It's almost as if they were trying to wrap the first season and the last three parter with one episode so they can get on with season two.

Enjoyable with great acting and production values this episode could have been stretched out into two or shortened into one really good episode. Thanks for reading...
  • Nothing special, but still it's good to be home...Atlantis!

Ok there's nakes Asgard, Wraith virus and boring mumbo jumbo aboard the Daedalus, on their trip home from Earth back to Atlantis. Now i can get used to many things but this Asgard is weird, or broken: he says "crap", he curses(i think) in asgardian, and he can't break a lil' ol' wraith virus, so naturally this episode could be called Rodney McKay since he does everything. Now after such a great victory i would've wanted to see a celebrating episode or some random world exploration, not just Daedalus and viruses. Perhaps this episode was meant to feel like this, because at the end Atlantis feels incredible, you feel like you can rejoin the story again, so either the purpose...i'm just glad to see Teyla.
  • Beginning to look to much like Star Trek?

I'm a huge Stargate fan and I watch both Atlantis and SG1 and I love it but latly it has beginning to look to much like the Star Trek episode where the focus is rather on space travel and interstellar fighting then exploring strange earth-like planets on foot through the gate. I for one don't like the fast development the human race is going through in the shows. From discovering other planets to interstellar travel took them only ten years! Slow down and get serious.
  • Some parts were flashback and Wraith computer virus take down Atlantis

Now despite the fact that this story-line appeared in Stargate episodes you would think that i'm be disappointed but i wasn't, in fact i quite enjoyed it and how the virus managed to outsmart most Rodney idea. So that ship will be permenant fixture for this series which i'm quite happy about.

Flashback-now i'm a bit confused with these-are these meant to be before going to. i figure before but i felt that flashback main purpose was just fill the time so they could easily have 42 minutes episodes.

The virus was well designed but the annoying thing was it couldn't detect beforehand-all in all a average episode.
  • Not a bad one.

This episode was fairly good. Yes it was a little bit unoriginal and seemed a little similar to a Stargate SG1 episode but i stil lenjoyed it. I thought this was a sad episode for Weir, finding out that her husband has moved on and is seeing someone else. Now i understand that all she has is Atlantis and it is her home. Pretty much all of the episode took place on the ship, a Wraith virus takes over the controls and causes a lot of problems. So after many failed attempts they rid the ship of the virus and again the day is saved. Bakc on Atlantis Tayla fills us in that no one has seen Ford. Overall this was not as good as the premier to this season but it was still a good episode nonetheless.
  • Humans vs. computer virus, a classic staple of Sf shows and one that even the new series Stargate: Atlantis can’t escape. While yes, indeed it a repeated storyline, it how the series presented it to its viewers that make it bad or good.

It is true that this a classic story element that has been seen in numerous Sf shows and I think it stay around with the fact that the story element preys on humans fears that the technology that we use in our everyday lives can turn deadly on us. This is what Stargate: Atlantis episode Intruder dose, and it dose well with the fact that the computer virus is an intelligent one, that learns from its past experiences, which only make scarier. Because not only do you have to think about how to stop it from spreading throughout your computer systems, but now you have to think of something that it hasn’t think off, before the thing has thought of it and with make your well thought out plan totally useless.
    This little fact that the writers of this Stargate: Atlantis episode added which made it stand head and toes above any other Sf episodes who used this as their story element. I also like the fact that it took the crew of the Daedalus had to do it more than once to get rid of the virus, because that is real life. Sometimes when yourself have either a biological virus or even a computer virus you have try a couple of times before you can get rid of it.
  • An exciting episode, featuring a battle with an alien ai-virus.

On the way back from earth the crew of the Daedalus finds a crewman dead on the floor. Immidiatly they find the cause being an electrical surge, but when they try to trace the surge to find it's origin, strange things starts to happen.

The battle in this episode is invisible, so the actors have it on hand to create a real fight with an unseen enemy and they pull it of very well.

So the basic idea of this episode: How destroy a virus that's intelligent and can hide in any system?

The episode reminds, as one of the characters mentions, another episode from stargate sg1. It's a good thing they mentioned it, otherwise I would trow the "rip-off"-card on this. It also happened in star trek once or twice, but what sci-fi show doesn't use something allready used be them.

Anyway, it's a good episode... watch it
  • Journey home...

It was great, to be honest. A different episode - all the spaceship and journey and things what can go wrong on space, but for variety and some different - it was fantastic episode to go after the superb season start. And those little clips back to Earth and those conversations - leading only sad understanding.

But the action on the ship and McKay - he can be... the panic and fear. And Wraith seems to be even more powerful than we thought but they managed to win this time. And the Hermiod - I start to like that little guy more and more.
  • But I don't mind!

After a season premiere that capped off a three-part action-driven epic, I think the writers were right to focus more on character. Two themes were evident as the episode marched on: “you can’t go home again” and “threats can come from unexpected directions”. A lot of the focus is on Weir and her struggles to keep control of the expedition, now that the political landscape on Earth has changed a bit and there’s more of an SGC presence.

The plot revolves around the potent threat posed by a Wraith virus left dormant in the Daedalus computer network during the previous episode and the efforts to eradicate it. As usual, it takes a while for everyone to recognize the scope of the danger and get a complete picture as to the solution. If there’s one thing that’s predictable in this episode, it’s the fact that if something can go horribly wrong, it will do so without fail and with a few choice snide comments from McKay!

As many have already noted (including the producers!), this is really just a variation on the “Stargate SG-1” episode “Entity”. Thankfully, this wasn’t a case of the writers cribbing old episodes without acknowledging the past. There’s something to be said when the characters recognize that it’s a familiar situation and respond accordingly!

This episode could have easily been centered on the return to Earth and the experiences of the characters. But the writers wisely recognized that this wouldn’t have served the story as well. Switching between the two themes, along with some action scenes to keep the episode moving, kept things from being too pedestrian.

The most obvious “intruder” in this episode is the Wraith virus itself, but that’s only in terms of the big picture. Taken from Weir’s perspective, there’s another, more personal threat: Caldwell. Caldwell has very clear ideas about how the operation should be run from a military perspective, and that’s a battle that Weir thought she had won. Now she’s dealing with someone with a lot less reason to follow her lead, since Caldwell is only weeks away from Earth and his command structure at any given time.

Many feel that the presence of Daedalus will detract from one of the primary elements of the series: the fact that the team has been isolated by the inability to return home to Earth. On the other hand, it’s still not a Sunday drive, and the past two episodes have provided a keen reminder that human technology, even mixed with Asgard enhancements, still doesn’t hold all the answers. Supplies and personnel might be more readily available, but for the most part, it’s just an ongoing source of dramatic conflict, since Weir can no longer assume that her authority remains as strong as it was.

More importantly, this episode makes the case that the team on Atlantis has lost some connection to the world they used to inhabit. Weir’s struggle with Simon and his new life says it all. The team on Atlantis was not unlike a division deployed to foreign front lines, with survival and return far from certain. They held a vision of the world they left behind in their minds, but it was an image of what was. In the meantime, people had to move on, assuming the worst. Weir learns that the hard way with Simon.

Along with getting him his promotion, Weir seems to be recognizing just how important Sheppard has become to her sense of control. Most importantly, Sheppard is part of her team; he’s experienced the same level of adversity, and he understands how the team must interact. He brings his military experience to the table, but he’s not some outside, inexperienced authority. Sheppard is going to be even more important to Weir in the episodes to come, and with Simon out of the picture, who can say what will happen?

There were the usual bits of humor, centered on McKay and Hermiod, which gave the episode its distinctly “Stargate” flavor. Sheppard continues to drop the O'Neill-esque one-liners, and while one continues to wonder if the man has ever owned a comb, he’s still one of the best parts of the series. Thankfully, it looks like Teyla is going to get some screen time in the next episode, since the few moments with her this season have been less than impressive.
  • See Summary

This episode was good, but it was a little slow after coming off the Siege. I think it had a lot of character development for Weir and McKay. Basically the Atlantis Team Leaders and Weir were on their way back to Earth on the Daedulus and it was being affected by a Wraith computer virus. It was AI and killed people who were on to it and was always a step ahead. There wasn't really to much going on, it all centered around this virus. Weir wanted her love from Earth to come back to Atlantis with her, and the military wanted to replace Sheppard with Colonel Caldwell. Weir insisted that they promote Sheppard instead. So the season is moving along and hopefully some more action in the next episode!
  • The idea for this episode wasn’t very original. But behind the plot were still some interesting things.

7.4
    The idea for this episode wasn’t very original. A lot of Sci-Fi series have had a story line close to this one. Stargate SG-1 had one close to it, even if it wasn’t on a ship but in the SGC (the episode 4x20 ‘Entity’) as is mentioned in the episode. Also the scene in the fighter was almost identical to the one where O’Neill and Teal’c are stuck in a goa’uld death glider (episode 4x12 ‘Tangent). I guess that’s unavoidable. But with the flashbacks in it, it was a pretty good episode. The flashbacks were also a good idea, because it avoided having to use characters from Stargate SG-1.

The promotion of Major Sheppard to Lieutenant Colonel wasn’t very unexpected, because the senior Air Force officer couldn’t be a Major and they couldn’t just write the main character out. But I didn’t expect they’d do it this way. It was kind of funny to see Colonel Caldwell being overwritten by Weir, as was the little tête-à-tête between John and Elizabeth at the start of the episode. Although I felt sorry for Elizabeth, I was glad she broke up with her boyfriend. Then nobody has ties back earth anymore.

Also very funny was the Asgard, Hermiod. It was both unreal (as far as you can say that of gray aliens) and cool to have an Asgard who is funny in a way that isn’t through overly logical remarks. That was really fun to see.

All in all it is a fill up episode, which is used very well as a transition between the three-part showdown and the new season.
  • Nothing interesting, quite boring, obvious finale with no surprises.

4.3
    Weird episode, at least in my opinion... Seemed like an Atlantis-version of the classic Star Trek series. Nothing particulary interesting. I hoped for an interesting ending (a destruction of Daedalus, perhaps?). Unfortunately, nothing happened. Those who aren't hardcore fan of the series wouldn't miss much if they had skipped this episode.
  • Good Episode

The Intruder," the first full episode after the introduction of the Daedalus, ends up featuring Earth's newest ship, but immediately destroys the perception that the Daedalus is invulnerable. Along with a few detours through the land of character development, especially that of Elizabeth Weir, "The Intruder" manages to fit both the return trip home and the more eventful journey back to Pegasus in one episode.

By the end of this episode, I feel much like Sheppard and Weir do about returning to Earth: The Earth stories were something I was looking forward to, and they were interesting in their own right, but I was relieved to see them back in Atlantis by the end of the episode.

But before I put the cart before the horse: "The Intruder" is a decent episode that unfortunately has a feel of too much familiarity.