Stargate Atlantis

The Intruder

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 22, 2005 on Syfy

• The idea for this episode wasn’t very original. But behind the plot were still some interesting things.

7.4
    The idea for this episode wasn’t very original. A lot of Sci-Fi series have had a story line close to this one. Stargate SG-1 had one close to it, even if it wasn’t on a ship but in the SGC (the episode 4x20 ‘Entity’) as is mentioned in the episode. Also the scene in the fighter was almost identical to the one where O’Neill and Teal’c are stuck in a goa’uld death glider (episode 4x12 ‘Tangent). I guess that’s unavoidable. But with the flashbacks in it, it was a pretty good episode. The flashbacks were also a good idea, because it avoided having to use characters from Stargate SG-1.

The promotion of Major Sheppard to Lieutenant Colonel wasn’t very unexpected, because the senior Air Force officer couldn’t be a Major and they couldn’t just write the main character out. But I didn’t expect they’d do it this way. It was kind of funny to see Colonel Caldwell being overwritten by Weir, as was the little tête-à-tête between John and Elizabeth at the start of the episode. Although I felt sorry for Elizabeth, I was glad she broke up with her boyfriend. Then nobody has ties back earth anymore.

Also very funny was the Asgard, Hermiod. It was both unreal (as far as you can say that of gray aliens) and cool to have an Asgard who is funny in a way that isn’t through overly logical remarks. That was really fun to see.

All in all it is a fill up episode, which is used very well as a transition between the three-part showdown and the new season.