Stargate Atlantis

The Kindred (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 22, 2008 on Syfy

• Great story, with some nice twists, and which will probably play a big role in future episodes.

Part one of "The Kindred" is very well written, and introduces many plot elements that can be expanded on, not just in the next episode, but in future seasons as well.

This episode starts off as Teyla is having visions of her Baby's father, telling her where to go to look for their people. As they go to look for them, they don't find anything, and head back, but the visions continue. Teyla goes back to find them. She finds a clue to where they might be, but is captured by a Wraith dart.

This part of the episode was pretty interesting, showing Teyla's need to find her people. It also shows that some of the people on Atlantis think that this need to find them is affecting her enough to make her have these visions in order to give herself hope of finding them.

Meanwhile, Atlantis discovers that a virus is spreading on different planets. It is soon discovered to be the virus that was introduced in the season one episode "Poisoning the Well," which was given to people in order to poison the Wraith's food. Atlantis now has to discover who is poisoning these people. This leads them to the Wraith Todd, who was indirectly responsible for the attack on the Midway station in the previous episode.

I'm really glad that they brought that virus back, because that was an interesting episode that was never mentioned again until this episode. The virus was completely forgotten, and I had assumed that it would never be brought back again, so it was a very pleasant surprise when it was used in this episode.

I was also glad to see Todd again in this episode, because he has become a very interesting character. He wasn't given a big role in this episode, but it was still really nice to see him again. Hopefully this gives hope for the development of his relationship with the people of Atlantis.

Meanwhile, on the Wraith dart, Teyla discovers that it was Michael that took here, and shortly after finds out that it was also him that took her people. He's also the one that has been spreading the virus on the different planets. It is all part of his plans to wipe out the Wraith and the humans, and replace them with some form of Wraith/human hybrids, which eliminates the Wraith's needs for feeding. He has been experimenting on himself and her people in order to test out his ability to turn people and Wraith into these hybrids, and based on the end of the episode, he has been successful. He also tells Teyla that he has "plans" for her baby.

All of this stuff was very interesting, and very promising for not just the next episode, but also the future seasons as well. I'm really glad they got rid of those monster things from season three's "Vengeance." I thought they were pretty good for a one-time enemy, but I couldn't see them being that good for an enemy which is as important as these Wraith/human hybrids seem like they'll become in the future. The hybrids seem like a much more threatening, and interesting idea than the creatures from that episode could ever be.

The virus is a very interesting idea in this episode, being used as a threat to both humans and Wraith. It adds a lot to make Michael's plans seem more threatening, and make Michael himself seem more interesting and evil. I'm not sure where they will take that story in the future. I don't know if it would be a good idea to kill off the regular Wraith, but if that's the way that they're heading, at least we'll get the Wraith/human hybrids, which are a very interesting idea, and shows a lot of promise for the future of the show.

I am excited to see what all this means for Teyla as well. She's been looking for her people for a long time, and now that she's found them, they are now turned into those Wraith/human hybrids, including the father of her child. In addition to this, whatever Michael's plans are for the baby can't be good. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, and could be really good for Teyla's story line in the future seasons.

Last, but definitely not least, is the surprise ending. The search for the person that was responsible for making the virus leads Atlantis to a planet that is used as a kind of prison that is being ran by Wraith worshipers who are guarding a prisoner. After fighting off all of the Wraith worshipers, Atlantis discovers who the prisoner is: Carson Beckett.

I usually don't mind seeing the previews for the TV shows that I watch, with the exception of 24, but this is one time that I wish I hadn't seen the preview. I can't believe that the people who do the previews actually showed that he was going to be on it. If it wasn't for that, this would be one of the biggest surprises of the season, but they ruined it.

This does, however, bring up a lot of questions. Is it the real Beckett? Is it a clone? Is it some kind of experiment done by Michael? Whatever the story is, it does make a great cliff-hanger for the episode, and could bring another great story in the future.

Overall, this episode was a very good one, which shows a lot of promise. It could easily be one of the most important episodes of the season (if not the most important). Now I'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out withing the next episode.