Stargate Atlantis

The Kindred (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 29, 2008 on Syfy

• The series missed a golden opportunity here in the surprising appearance of Dr. Beckett out of nowhere.

2.5
    Instead of coming up with an interesting and provocative explaination for the appearance of Dr. Beckett, the writers decide to refry some extremely old beans in making him turn out to be one of Michael's experiments, a clone, oh and magically endowed with all of the original Dr. Beckett's memories too.
    It is science fiction happening in a distant galaxy, where our heroes base of operations is the legendary city of Atlantis built by an interstellar space faring civilization while we were still chasing wildebeasts with spears. Anything could have led to our having a second Dr. Beckett, in fact it would have been highly preferable if the other one that died were the clone Michael had bubbled up in a test tube. Oh well, maybe next time the writers get a golden opportunity to throw a curve they will practice the pitch first.
  • See Summary

The Kindred part 2 was a great episode where we got see some old familiar faces that we thought were lost to us forever. The Wraith Hybird Michael was at the center of this episode. He now Teyla, is responsible for unfathomable acts agaings humanity, and has created some beings that may strike at the heart of the Atlantis team. There was a lot of emotional baggage that came with this episode. We learned what happened to Teyla's people, and her baby's daddy. It was also interesting to see what Michael had been up to all this time. His plans seem to be coming together, though he is on the run from the Wraith and Humans alike. Its nice to see old faces, but even harder to say goodbye a second time. I look forward to seeing how the season ends!!!
  • good episode...

I was skeptical about Carson coming back, and I'm still a bit mad about it. At least, however, they gave him a great return! I love how Carson thought he was in jail for 2 years and then he turned out to be a clone. Great, intersting storyline - though not original. Anyways, Teyla found her people and now we learn of Michael's plot. I really don't like Teyla or Michael so I didn't really care about that. Sheppard and his team save the Athosians, but Carson is unable to save Teyla. Overall, great character episode, but not a great story line.
  • Guess who's back...

This episode picked up from the giant bombshell that was dropped on us in the last episode. The return of Carson Beckett. I know some fans may have felt cheated that the character was brought back this way but Beckett is such a beloved character how could you not bring him back that way. I'd rather have him be brought back as a clone then not be brought back at all. In the previous episode the look on Sheppard, Ronon, and McKay's face was just priceless. I liked Rodney's conversation with him "As far as I'm concerned one of the best friends I ever had just came back from the dead." We all know that McKay blamed himself for Beckett's death. I look forward to see beckett in the upcoming season.
  • Carson yay ... spoilers

I am so glad that even though it was for only this episode taht Carson came back. Even though he is only a clone it's still just as good as having the real thing. I really do hope they find a medicine to help him so they can bring him out of stasis. Having Carson back brought back the old Stargate Atlantis which was great. In my opinion Stargate doesn't seem to have been the same without him. Jewel Staite is a great actress but she's no Paul. Loved the tension in this episode and I hope that Teyla and her unborn son are going to be ok.
  • The long awaited..ant anti-climatic return of Carson

I remember Joe M saying in an interview that the Carson that returns would be the real one. " Not an AU version. clone or replicator"

Misleading the show's fans is a good way to hurt ratings.

I know that season 5 has him scheduled for 5 episodes but it will remain tainted by the fact it isn't the real carson ( unless there is to be a plot twist )

The writers need to go back to an approach where stortylines build week on week. Far too many stand alone episodes in series 4. Far too many story arcs not followed through.
  • A returning character nearly overshadows the rest of the story

The first half of this important two-episode arc set the stage for resolution of several plot threads, most notably the fate of the Athosians and Teyla's child. It also marked the return of Dr. Carson Beckett, an event completely ruined by the SFC promotional department. Even so, there was considerable excitement regarding his return and how it would be handled.

Sometimes bringing back a beloved character, especially one that has been dead for an entire season, can be problematic. Such events tend to overshadow everything else and disrupt the flow of a season arc. Beckett's return was logically handled within the context of Michael's grand scheme; the connections to previous continuity made sense of the situation. Even so, the writers felt the need to add endless comments about how great it was to have Beckett back, and they became distracting and unnecessary by the time the episode was over.

The attention on Beckett forced a simpler structure: save Teyla before Beckett's biological breakdown clock expired. That gave the episode a certain sense of balance, with Teyla's plight getting plenty of attention. Frankly, I found that to be more interesting, because that was the plot thread that would have to continue into the near future. Beckett was obviously not coming back for the long-term.

While Michael's plan for Teyla's child was somewhat predictable, I was expecting the usual late-minute rescue. This is where Beckett's unique situation tossed a wrench into the normal mechanics, and his return became a lot more meaningful for me. If any other team member had gone for Teyla, Michael's would have been toast. Instead, the Beckett clone's inherent nature gave Michael the upper hand, and Teyla and her child are still in Michael's possession. That certainly leaves Team Atlantis in a bad way for the season finale.

This episode also serves to pass the medical torch to Dr. Keller more completely and logically than the previous 18 episodes ever managed. Keller and Beckett worked well together (if only to make the requisite exposition a lot less painful), and the writers took the opportunity to show how similarly they can approach novel problems. But a delayed transition shouldn't have been necessary, and after this much time, there will definitely be Beckett fans pointing out how inferior Keller is in comparison.

Generally speaking, however, Beckett's return is just a bit too invasive to the story, especially at the end. The final act is interminable, with dialogue clearly designed for nostalgia and fan service. Some of that is warranted in this case, considering that Beckett was brought back due to high demand, but there's such a thing as going overboard. When character like Carter, who never really knew anything about Beckett, take an unbelievable amount of time saying goodbye, it's an exercise in excess.
  • In which the loose ends begin to be tied up. Spoilers in Review!

SPOILERS in Review! The big story in this episode dealt with the return of Dr. Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion) in a way that was 75% well done. (I'm withholding full marks until we are told how Michael transferred Beckett's memories to the clone. Until now in the Pegasus Galaxy, this feat was accomplished only by the Replicators after they'd probed the original's mind.) Mr. McGillion was spot on with his portrayal of Beckett's confusion and emotions, but I had expected nothing less. The final goodbye scene was very well written and was well acted by all.

It was odd to see Christopher Heyerdahl as Halling after having just seen him in the previous episode as Todd but, as always, he gave a solid performance. Mr. Heyerdahl is one of those rare gifted actors who can make even the most minor of roles memorable.

The scenery, set decoration, and lighting combined with the Athosians' costuming, hair (or lack of) and make-up to give Michael's compound a Death Camp feel. Kudos to those departments.

I liked all the "history" in this episode: Nabel, Halling, Beckett, the stasis chamber (which looked more like the one in the Antarctic Outpost than the one shown to be in Atlantis in "Before I Sleep"), the missing Athosian weapons cache, mentioning Elizabeth Weir, etc.

I was disappointed at the lack of advancement to the overall story arc. While we did find some of the Athosians and we did learn why Michael wants Teyla's baby (how he found out she was pregnant, we still do not know), nothing was actually settled. It felt somewhat like the second movie of a trilogy.

Also, there were some moments that made me go "wait a minute": It simply felt wrong when Sheppard failed to ask Halling about Jinto. And, even though we know she is seven months along, the fact that Teyla didn't even attempt to escape after Beckett was stunned and she was alone with Michael was out of character. She didn't even yell for help. To be fair to the writer, these things may have been in the script but were cut for time or some other consideration. Whatever the reason, their absence was jarring.

Overall, this was a very good episode with only a few detractions.

Grade:

Acting & Directing: A
    Production: A+
    Writing: B
    ---------
    Average: A-

Overall Rating: 9.3/10
  • Beckett and Michael is back! But not for so long...

This episode was a litte worse than I expexted, but I was very good, by the way. So they find Carlson, bring back to Atlantis and find out that he is just a clone, and without Michaels injection, he is gonna die. We already said goodbye to Carlson, and now, we can do it again... but WHY? :( Thats so sad.

Teyla was captured by Michael, and locked with the Atoshians.
    We find out that Michael do experiments on them. So only a few of them survived.

Ronon, John, McKay and Beckett try to rescue Teyla, but they fail, and Michael escapes with Teyla. /He wants researh on her child./

So this was adventorous, and at the end tearjerker, but most of all: a very special epsiode

Cant wait for the season final!
  • Finally Carson is back!

Well I was waiting for this episode from the beginning of the season. And I can say that I got everything I hoped for. The new storyline for Carson is very exiting. Of course I hoped that this Carson Beckett would be the real one and the one who died would be the clone, but the writers did it the other way. Also the rescue of the Athosians was unexpected and I realy liked that. When talking about Teyla, I think that the writers are a bit cruel for torturing her and her child. The actors also did a great job in this episode. Now we can only hope that Atlantis team will save Teyla, find a cure for Carson and defeat Michael for good.
  • An okay Atlantis episode but not so great comeback for Carson. I enjoyed the action it was a great buildup to the season finale. I was also glad to see a resolution on Teyla's people being found. Michael is quite enjoyable as a mad

An okay Atlantis episode but not so great comeback for Carson. I enjoyed the action it was a great buildup to the season finale. I was also glad to see a resolution on Teyla's people being found. Michael is quite enjoyable as a mad scientist/evil nemesis. It was touching to see everyone say goodbye to Carson. I had hoped his would be a clone that could stay but without his departure we couldn't have scene Ronan break down. I'm glad to see the possibility for Carson to come back is still there with him locked in stasis. Good episode to get us to the finale and showdown with Michael and rescue of Teyla.
  • Not exactly what I hoped for after the last episode, but still a great episode.

Last week's episode was a great set up to what now seems like it will be a small story-arc that extends into the next season. This episode isn't exactly what I hoped for after watching that episode, but was still a great episode overall.

We didn't get that much out of this episode in terms of the michael story that was set up in the previous episode, probably because they are saving the rest for future episodes. In that way, this episode was kind of disappointing because, even though I didn't expect everything to resolve itself, I thought we'd get a bit more into that whole storyline.

But I did still like the episode. The situation with Carson was handled very well. I would have prefered it to be the real Carson Beckett, but at least we didn't get an evil version of him. I really liked how the clone seamed like the real Carson, and how much it hurt him not to be able to shoot michael because it meant that Teyla wouldn't be rescued. I hope that they will do more with that side of the story. Hopefully they do find a cure for him, so that he'll be on more in the future, even if it's not as a regular character.

Another part of the story that was handled nicely was McKay's friendship with Carson. There were some very nice scenes between them.

Overall, this episode wasn't what I wanted it to be, but it was still a great episode that will hopefully be expanded upon in the future.
  • Carson.. Oh, I missed him so much...

The most important part of this episode - Carson is back. It was so incredible to hear his voice again, those phrases he always uses.. like he has not been away, but yes he has.. and oh, I have missed - that depth what this char has, the story.. oh.. and it was so beautifully done - the way they brought him back.. it was logical and somehow even sad, and very emotionally moving. Specially his dialogs with McKay - and we had some very great moments on this episode.

Even thought this episode was all about Carson, it was a Teyla too - her struggle to get Kanaan back and her meeting with her people - very emotional and moving. Some of them are still alive, good to hear.

And the action, what we had.. and some great scenes.. visually.. specially loved the final confronting - Beckett versus Michael. It was stunning.
  • O Carson My Carson

Well, there it was. Carson being on the show again, Carson being off the show again. But being in the stasis chamber, it means he can become recurring in the future. It was nice to see Carson in action again. But other than that, the episode was just another hide and chase - they find Michael again, and he runs away again. At least they rescued what's left of the Athosians. Here are a few other thoughts:

As I said in last week's review, for one person/wraith Michael has done a lot. We can now add cloning, including copying the knowledge and personality of the subject, to his list of accomplishments. Maybe he'll clone himself and be a Ba'al-like adversary as well (please...no!).

This episode was really just about Carson - seeing him there and interacting with the group, especially McKay. But with all the up and down emotions throughout, just having Carson there made this episode worthwhile!
  • Carson Returns!

I was so glad to see Carson back. I've realy missed seeing him over the last few months. I think his character is great. I was surprised at the ending though. I thought that they would kill him off, but I surpose this is close enough. I also thought they would get Teyla back. I like the suspence that they managed to maintain throughout the episode. I'm left with this strong urge to see Michael dead though. Hehe
    All in all I liked this episode. It was quite emotional at times but it had just enough action in it to make it fun. Can't wait till next week!
  • Beckett and Mckay are so close!! *Spoilers*

I always knew that Becket and Mckay were close friends but I never knew they were that close! I dont mean that in like a "I think theyre gay way cause I dont but they are like best friends! And seeing them together in scenes were so sad! I thought they were gonna cry (especially Mckay)! What I dont get is that on a interview with some of the cast and crew,like 2 people said that the Carson we see is the real Carson and they said," He will not be a replicator or a clone...It will be the real him." So seeing that he was a clone I didnt get that part! This was a great episode and there is nothing else I can say other than it was awesome and it made me want to laugh and cry and it was totally worth all the filler episodes of this season! The reason I didnt give it a perfect ten is because of personal reasons of not wanting Carson to have to go in that thingy that he went in at the end(I forgot the name)! But anyway...I cant wait to see him come back in season 5!:)