Stargate Atlantis

The Kindred (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 29, 2008 on Syfy

• In which the loose ends begin to be tied up. Spoilers in Review!

SPOILERS in Review! The big story in this episode dealt with the return of Dr. Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion) in a way that was 75% well done. (I'm withholding full marks until we are told how Michael transferred Beckett's memories to the clone. Until now in the Pegasus Galaxy, this feat was accomplished only by the Replicators after they'd probed the original's mind.) Mr. McGillion was spot on with his portrayal of Beckett's confusion and emotions, but I had expected nothing less. The final goodbye scene was very well written and was well acted by all.

It was odd to see Christopher Heyerdahl as Halling after having just seen him in the previous episode as Todd but, as always, he gave a solid performance. Mr. Heyerdahl is one of those rare gifted actors who can make even the most minor of roles memorable.

The scenery, set decoration, and lighting combined with the Athosians' costuming, hair (or lack of) and make-up to give Michael's compound a Death Camp feel. Kudos to those departments.

I liked all the "history" in this episode: Nabel, Halling, Beckett, the stasis chamber (which looked more like the one in the Antarctic Outpost than the one shown to be in Atlantis in "Before I Sleep"), the missing Athosian weapons cache, mentioning Elizabeth Weir, etc.

I was disappointed at the lack of advancement to the overall story arc. While we did find some of the Athosians and we did learn why Michael wants Teyla's baby (how he found out she was pregnant, we still do not know), nothing was actually settled. It felt somewhat like the second movie of a trilogy.

Also, there were some moments that made me go "wait a minute": It simply felt wrong when Sheppard failed to ask Halling about Jinto. And, even though we know she is seven months along, the fact that Teyla didn't even attempt to escape after Beckett was stunned and she was alone with Michael was out of character. She didn't even yell for help. To be fair to the writer, these things may have been in the script but were cut for time or some other consideration. Whatever the reason, their absence was jarring.

Overall, this was a very good episode with only a few detractions.

Grade: