Stargate Atlantis

The Long Goodbye

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 10, 2006 on Syfy

• See Summary

The Long Goodbye was an ok episode. Basically 2 alien beings are rescued from pods, and their consciencous minds are transferred into Weir and Sheppard. Weir's alien makes it seem as if the other is her husband, though its really her enemy. It was interesting to see Weir and Sheppard more or less square off against eachother, which was a good challenge for the actors. The episode could have packed a little more bang though. It did not seem as if there was anything significant about this episode in relation to major storylines. Acting was good if not a little awkward at times in this episode.
  • Sheppard's team find two life pods circling a planet and discover two people barely alive. They actually let one inhabit Sheppard's body after one has taken Weir's. A centuries old feud between two old foes pit Weir and Sheppard against one another.

Really? This episode showed such promise in the first ten minutes and the last five minutes. Just those fifteen minutes would have received a nine. I especially liked the analogy that Weir and Sheppard were taken just like Caldwell was and how he could sympathize. He was the one dissenting voice when it came to Sheppard being inhabited.

The rest of the episode was not really worth watching. As two old foes (Star Trek's Let That Be Your Last Battlefield actually did this forty years ago and better with Frank Gorshin) do whatever it takes to settle a centuries old score no matter the cost to anyone around them. A really uplifting message for a happy time. There is no moral to this lesson except that humans are naturally corrupt and can carry hatred for a very long time.

The only redeeming sections were in order the kiss between Weir and Sheppard, Teyla not killing Sheppard no matter what, and the final scene with Caldwell, Sheppard, and Weir.

That is all. Thanks for reading...
  • This is the episode where Sheppard and Weir are taken over by alien entities who try to kill each other.

This episode was fantastic! I was completly drawn in. It moved through the story very nicely. It had funny moments and action. I really love everything about this episode. McKay did his wonderful ranting. Caldwell came back just when others had the experiance he had (with the Goua'ld), and just in time for him to take command. Which I thought was great for the show. Teyla and Ronan were on for nice bits and their personalities were played out great. I loved the part were the two alien eniemies pretended to love each other, then even work together, in the begining. I thought that was a wonderful touch and it kept me wanting to see more. I liked how the alien in Sheppard only stunned people and even called for help after Roanan was shot. My favorite parts where when the alien in Sheppard would say things about Sheppard (i.e. Sheppard screaming like crazy in his head, and that Sheppard liked Teyla more than she knew). That was really great! In summary, this episode was one of the best of all time!
  • Revenge...

To be honest, it was not the best episode. At the beginning, it was really catching, but the end - it somehow got lost. The idea was intriguing and it promised to be much more at the beginning - I was dreaming about episode with two survivors of their spice, getting some great moments, but no... they were last survivors, but they were on war and we got all episode full of trying to destroy the Atlantis, banging and cat-mouse game. It was watchable but not great storyline, did not get us nowhere and... ok, it had it's own good moments but quite boring and avarage.
  • funny episode that was pretty good, but nothing special

Two pods are found floating around in space and Sheppard brings them back to Atlantis. They open one to see an old lady inside, near dath. Her conciousness, however, downloads into Weir and takes over. Later on, the other pod is opened to find a man which becomes Sheppard. Then they start on a battle to kill each other and they have to evade Atlantis personell. In the end, everything is put back to normal and a disaster was avoided. This episode is ok. It was pretty funny and had an ok story line. Overall, though, it seemed like a filler.
  • Team finds life pods orbiting a planet. Once they are retrieved, the fun begins!

There is a lot of sexual tension between Weir and Sheppard. The actors playing them do a great role of acting out-of-character with their characters.

More characters than actors in this episode. Very interesting premise and themes. The war in this episode outlasted the people and the civilization fighting it. In the end, it was the only thing they embraced.

The story line was pretty simple. The dialog and its delivery was terrific. Both the script writers did a fantastic job on this one. The story itself seemed kind of ho-hum but if you watch it, you will not find it boring at all.
  • I adore this show and enjoyed this episode, but it had some rather unsatisfying parts that needed rethinking/reworking.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. It was an interesting concept, although done before. (But haven't all sci-fi plots been?)

My only real qualm was how anticlimactic it was…They upped the ante as per usual, making the danger of the situation apply to the entire city instead of just Sheppard and Weir and those tracking them down. However, restricting Weir/Phoebus to a confined space with interaction only over the radio was a mistake, although Higginson is equal to the task.

I feel like the scene where Teyla is confronted with decision whether or not to shoot Sheppard and save the city is rather boring, especially for being the climactic part of the episode. Although I like Teyla, she doesn’t ever strike me as anything spectacular. Here she also failed to move me. I was especially put off by yet another attempt by the writers to push a romantic relationship between Sheppard and Teyla with the hinting that he “cares about her more than she realizes.” I just don’t think there’s much chemistry between them, especially not to the degree of Carter/O’Neill, and not even on par with the reactions that Weir has to Sheppard’s playful humor.

The other concern I have with such a direction is that most shows of this type go way downhill once two main characters are paired up. Sg-1 handled the Carter/O’Neill thing fairly well, but I’m doubtful about this one.

Back to this episode…It was very entertaining (for the most part) but I think some hand to hand combat with Sheppard/Thalen and Weir/Phoebus face to face would have been a far better build-up than the Teyla-twist. But I am not a writer for a kick-ass television series, so who am I to really criticize?
  • .

I absoulutly loved it. Me and my friends watched it together and we enjoyed it very much. My friend Brooke said that it was the work of a great writer and that whoever wrote the script and teleplay for the episode did an excellent job. My favorite parts in the episode were when they here radio contact between Phoebus/Weir and Thalan/Sheppard and the very end. I think that some of the parts weren\'t as good as others and some of the dialog didn\'t make sense to me. But other than that, it was very interesting to see the characters in the situation that they were in.
  • It's not that I hate this ep, there were really funny parts but the whole thing wasn't credible.

Ok, let's accept that the whole "Phoebus taking Weir's body" was an accident, but after that, I mean with the most important person in the city out of business, it's just no credible that they willingly submit the second most important person to the same procedure! If the whole purpose was for them to say goodbye, they could just pick up someone else. Anyway, putting that aside, I liked how they used Caldwel's experience with the goa'uld. What I also liked, and this can sound a little bit silly, was seeing Weir completely changed. It's not that I don't like the regular one, but getting dangerous from time to time is nice. Having said all this, I gotta remark that this was a filler ep, not the best, not the worst, just another example of this very weak second season.
  • Plagiarized and stupid

1.5
    I liked this episide a lot better when it was called, "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield" - and it stunk then. At least the combatants were in their own bodies and so were plausibly so much more powerful than the Enterprise crew.

Halon systems? LETHAL? They really need to hire some people who have at LEAST a high school level of science education. Or, you know, the phone number of a halon fire supression system manufacturer. God, it would have been better if they had invented some technobabble inverted tetrion gas.

The only saving grace of this episode, which the Star Trek episode lacked, was that they didn't feel the need to spell out the moral at the end.

They only get 20 episodes a year and they give us this dreck, doing nothing to advance any storyline? What a waste. I'm shocked that this series made it to the third season, espeically when it's broadcast back to back with Battlestar Galactica.

• I have never given an episode this low rating-it was awful

1.6
    This has got to be the worst episode story-line wise because it just plain stupid- are we really meant to believe Sheppard would actually agree to letting other person take control of his body?- seriously he not that dumb and i can't believe no-one on team stop to think that was a very bad idea . Yes she did a very good job of convincing them but Still they should of been doubts about it- it's was quite predictable.

Despite this Weiver or actress that play her actually got to do some action- i was rather impressed how she managed to take down security team. The actress really enjoyed doing this episode but still doesn't excuse this poor story-line- i accept difficult to do a good episode every single time but they could of easily made this episode better by forcing Sheppard instead of him voluntarying.
  • This was a great episode !!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this episode, it has so much to offer, specifically a side of Elizabeth that is often showed. I mean we always see her as the leader, behind the desk or taking decisions but seeing her fighting John and being a bad girl (even though it was not really her) was really exciting. I just wish she had more episodes like this.
    The chemestry between John and Elizabeth intensified in the episode and when they kissed and the other looked I could not stop laughing, that was a shock to them.
    Colonel Caldwell was very fast to take command, that was not a surprise coming from him, and his previos infection with a symbiote helped in this situation.
    In general the whole episode was great from beginning to end, when Elizabeth and John realized the yhad kissed, it was so good!!!!!!!!
  • A stand-out episode of Stargate:Atlantis, this episode is filled with tension all the way through, culminating in a harrowing decision for Teyla. (WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS!)

This episode has it all. Excitement, drama, character development, and one helluva lot of tension. Although not particularly original, the premise of this episode was played out well, and instead of being a cliche 'body take-over' episode, we have a rollercoaster ride of bluffs and double-bluffs.
    Time after time, we are fooled into believing something which is not true and then it is turned on its head. I mean, it's not completely unpredictable, (this isnt one of Atlantis' strong points) but it's done in such a way that it doesnt come across as seeming overdone and something that we have seen before.
    Twice during this episode, we are left wondering whether a character will survive or not. The first instance is when Ronin is shot, and I must say, I wasnt sure if he would make it or not. I know he is a series regular but I had my doubts that he would survive. In hindsight, it would have been a pretty bad way for him to die. The second time, where I wasnt sure of a character's fate was when Teyla had to decide whether to shoot John or not, in order to prevent three quarters of the city from being gassed. Again, it was very unlikely that John would die, I mean it's Sheppard! You cant have Atlantis without Sheppard, but it was very tense all the same and I was sure Teyla was going to shoot, yet avoid killing him somehow.
    This scene was also very revealing about how the characters feel about each other. When the entity infecting John's body tells Teyla that John cares for her more than she thinks, it may just have been a ruse to try and get Teyla to help him, but was most probably true, as it has been clear throughout the series so far that Teyla and Sheppard feel something for each other. Well, perhaps not CLEAR, but it has been hinted at, and hopefully after this we will see some developments in this area.
    Aside from all the drama, there were some genuinely funny moments, such as when Sheppard and Weir remember that during their bodily take-overs, they shared a kiss. Very well played and amusingly awkward.
    The return of Caldwell evoked mixed reactions from me. I didnt mind him too much, but kind of thought that with the Gou'auld storyline, that would be his final appearance. I guess he isnt too bad, I just feel that other, more interesting characters are losing screen-time due to him. One character who I wouldnt mind seeing a little less of is Rodney. Once again in this episode, he maintains his irritatingly sarcastic, and short manner with everyone, and seems to have no ability to even fake niceness.
    I guess we need him on the team though, as without him, who would overcome all the computer based problems, but he needs some kind of social counselling or something!
    To conclude, I think that this episode is definitely one of the best of the series so far. It isnt perfect, with some flaws here and there, and some just plain stupid decisions, such as having Weir and Sheppard in hospital beds SIDE BY SIDE, when they still arent sure if they are back to being themselves yet, but despite this, I really enjoyed this episode and hail it as one of my favourites.
  • When an alien space pod is found orbiting the planet the tean brings it back and finds alot more than they bargained for.

I don't know what was with Stargate atlantis and SG-1 this week but in both the characters seemed to have serious judgement issues. For example Shepard's blatant disregard for his team's safety and now this. Mind you 'Off the grid' is another rant altogether so on with 'The Long Goodbye'.
    Okay i could understand curiosity at an alien pod that seemed to be unlike anything they had seen before, but when Wier got taken over by the strange alien woman would you really offer up another member of your team, not to mention the fact that it was the next most in-charge person on the planet, to another one of those things? No. Me neither.
    It seemed to me that Caldwell was the only person thinking clearly in their management team and as he had recently had a gou'ald extracted, what does that say for the rest of them?
    Don't get me wrong there were good bits in there too, I always love to see Carson Beckett and his little "Get me a torch *pause* FLASHLIGHTS!" made me chuckle, but the writers need to give me my beloved characters back next week or I might just scream. These men and women are meant to be representing our planet in another galaxy, infact they represent our entire galaxy, so please have them acting more like intelligent adults, not the gulliable people we saw in this episode.
    Plus, and I'm nearly done now, did anyone else think it was a bit of a let down that the entities just disappeared after a few hours, I know if I was some evil alien then I would make it permanent, stick in there and all that jazz. I suppose it was because they were running out of air time and it all had to be wrapped up, but it felt like an anti-climax to me.
  • Seriously, RONAN NEEDS A BATH!!!

5.5
    Seeing a very disturbing trend here that I haven't seen since ST:Voyager. This is a show that has the potential to stand on it's own, yet it's going into the old cliche's of it's predecessor, SG-1. First let's start off with the plot: almost a kissing cousin of "Critical Mass". Just no Gou'uld or Teyla's (wonderful- though disjointed) singing. It had potential, maybe a little more polishing could pulled it up a notch on the writer's behalf. But, it fell flat. I found the final 5minutes very anti-climactic. An episode dealing with a toiletry-shortage would've been more nail-biting. Seriously, RONAN NEEDS A BATH!!!
    Though, it did have some decent moments. I liked how the fallout form Caldwell's experience with the Gou'uld was utilized here. And we got to see him as a leader who has to make difficult decisions at times-not just as Weir's nemisis. So, I kinda like him a little more now. His chemistry with McKay is pretty fun to watch too.
    Also, of note was the slightly tense scene when Carson had to operate on Ronan during the blackout. It was obvious it was going to end well, but I like how they utilize our Doc. He showed us he was a doctor first and an adventurer second. I also like the idea of Ronan getting shot. The writer's need to stop portraying him as Sheppard's mangey thug with no table manners.
    Unfortunatly, I felt that Weir is not nearly as strong as Teyla when it comes to being a female lead. Torri Hogginson doesn't seem to be able to convey the same level of multi-dimensional depth that Rachel Luttrell has demonstrated over and over again. Nor did I find her very convincing as this "Phoebus" character either. Nor did I think she was convincing as "Phoebus" pretending to be Weir.
    All in all, I'm noticing that so far the episodes are the victims of very complacent, or unimaginitive, writers. I hope they pull out of it soon.
  • The struggle in this episode hinges on a Halon-based fire suppression system installed by the crew from Earth? Atlantis is a futuristic, high-tech city/space ship - how could it not have a fire suppression system already? What ruined this episode for me

The struggle in this episode hinges on a Halon-based fire suppression system installed by the crew from Earth? Atlantis is a futuristic, high-tech city/space ship - how could it not have adequate fire suppression systems already? Maybe I missed some believable explanation for why the Halon system was necessary, but why then wouldn't the Asgaard have helped them find a non-lethal system?

I agree, the alien posession plot may be over-done, but a tired plot can be recycled successfully with a little creativity. What ruined this episode for me was how everything felt so contrived. The only surprises for me were "I can't believe they did that!" type surprises.
  • Aliens take-over Weir & Shepherd

Not a very original idea - has probably been done by every major sci-fi tv series since star trek (if not before); but well written and with some interesting character twists. Some excellent quotes and the goofs really fitted into the plot line. This is probably one of the poorer episaodes of season 2 so far and yet is still very watchable.
  • A fun stand-alone episode with a premise that has been done to death

In my review for the previous episode, I was less than pleased by the fact that the events were clearly contrived to result in the acquisition of some puddle-jumpers and drones, leaving the actual episode with a spare and predictable plot with little character exploration. Some people took me to task for calling the writers “complacent”; an equal number of comments agreed with the fact that the writers dropped the ball.

Still others, who have seen the episodes earlier than the mainstream US audience, predicted that I would hate this episode even more. After all, this episode seems to have even less to do with the threadbare season arc, doesn’t really delve into the characters in any meaningful way, and follows a relatively predictable plot thread. In essence, many felt that I would have a strong negative reaction to any episode that didn’t fit into what I felt was the “season arc”, and that’s all there was to it.

Well, it’s not that simple. I actually liked many things about this episode. There’s a very big difference between “filler”, which I see no excuse for, and “stand-alone”, which is a perfectly acceptable form of storytelling. Even arc-driven shows have stand-alone episodes (even if the best shows will ensure that the stand-alone episodes fit within the thematic side of a season arc). The “X-Files” had several excellent episodes that had nothing to do with the series’ mythology, after all, and that was a series fraught with consistency issues.

The difference between the previous episode and this episode should be plain, though some won’t recognize it. It has to do with the depth of effort. The previous episode didn’t pave any new ground, didn’t pose an interesting scenario, and then compounded the problem by dumping in a possible long-term plot element into the mix as if it justified the lack of depth in the rest of the episode. This time around, while the scenario itself was somewhat thin, it gave two cast members the chance to play with new material, and no attempt was made to force in a connection to the season arc. It was a pure “stand-alone”, and it worked on that level.

That’s not to say that it didn’t have problems. Even with Caldwell’s objections (which made a lot of sense, given his recent history), the team on Atlantis agreed to the idea of letting Sheppard join Weir in the “possession” situation a bit too easily. I also felt that McKay’s attitude was a little forced, even if it makes sense for him to rail against Caldwell’s assumption of command. The fact is, none of them were in a position to deal with an alien with all of Weir’s knowledge, and Caldwell didn’t screw up any worse than any of the team would have in the same situation. And there was no doubt that Weir and Sheppard would survive; it was just a question of how.

I did like, however, the apparent return of the subtext between Sheppard, Weir, and Teyla. I’ve always said that Sheppard and Teyla were circling each other, whatever else they might have to say about it, and Weir certainly has had her thoughts about Sheppard since the beginning of the series. It might have been better to muddy the picture a bit, so the audience couldn’t be sure who was acting at any given time, but it still touches on character dynamics that have been sorely lacking of late. It’s unlikely that this will ever come up again, except in passing, but this was a capable stand-alone.
  • Rodney rules! Another great episode. (spoilers)

When it first started I was a bit weary, but Rodney said it the best “not again” but as he requested, and so did I, it wasn’t nearly the same, the entities truly took over the bodies of Sheppard and Weir, and the story arc was COMPLETELY different, they tried to kill each other and anyone that got in their way, fun stuff. Atlantis has proven to be just as good as SG1, and has consistently great writing and character development, arcs, and storylines.
  • I could not wait to see this episode, not since i read the spoiler.

I recorded this one and had to rewind, and watch a secound time in a row. The writers put a nice twist on this one. Pitting Elizabeth and Jonh aginst each other was brilliant. I think Torri Higginson had alot of fun with this episode. They got her out from behind the desk and through her out there in the middle of things. Its a nice change that the writers only do once in a blue moon, I gusse that is why i look foward to them so much.
    Having Caldwell stand at post with Rodney was good. Rodney can argue and bicker with the best of them. I think we mite see some more of those too together in futer episodes, though no one can have John an Rodney's repoure.

• A good episode with an overused topic.

I thought this episode was done well. THe whole mind possession scenario has been done so many times it is kind of getting old. It was nice to see Caldwell back after his Goul'd ordeal and turn about is fair play after Weir and Shepard's minds are taken over. They did well playing off of one another and trying to kill another deal, however, I think John and Aeryn of Farscape did it best.

Also, I think they should have shown Ronon at the end after surgery. The kiss between Weir and Shepard is a start and they were aware of what was going on even though they were possessed.
  • I tuned in for a new episode and got a repeat of aliens taking over a body only this time it was more boring.

3.3
    Thank goodness that The Day The Earth Stood Still was on because I found something else to watch before 20 minutes was up. It never ceases to amaze me that writers think that we will find a repeated topic interesting. Even Dr. McKay knew it when he shouted out "Oh no. Not again." That was the only line delivered that was believable. This not only has been done this year, but has been done several times on SG1. Come on!

I honestly don't know how the episode turned out but clearly the Atlantis people will be ok and the aliens dead. How could there be any other outcome? The show needs some creativity quickly or it will be gone.