Stargate Atlantis

The Lost Boys (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• Ford has a purpose finally!

An episode i can honestly say it was great. Making Ford an outcast and the leader of them was a great idea. He no longer stays in the shadows of others and has got his own part to play in this, that's good, i like him like this. Then there's some nice interesting fight scenes all based on the wraith enzyme they've been taking, which 2 members of the team consider taking it. And then there's Shepard and wraith dart ship eventually flying on a Hive ship and the hive looks incredible from the inside, finally a big perspective on one of those ships. Then there's the same good acting and plot i've seen so far in Atlantis. Enjoy!
  • See Summary

The Lost Boys was Stargate Atlantis's 2nd season midway 2 episode story. Sheppards Team gets captured by LT Ford who now has a bunch of followers also taking the Wraith Enzyme, and it was interesting to see his darker side still, though he was more rational in the past. He started dosing Teyla, Ronin, and McKay with the enzyme and planned to blow up a hive ship. Sheppard flew a Wraith dart to the hive ship, it went on auto pilot and docked. The inside of the ship was pretty cool, especially the docking area. The team is being held in a Wraith holding cell when a Wraith comes for the one who piloted the Dart, Sheppard then finds himself before a Wraith female, presumably the Hive's Queen, and she looked like one of the scary middle class, or male Wraith with black clothes, and white hair. She was scary though, and pretty bad ass the way they can penetrate the human mind with commands such as kneel. If the Goa'uld only knew of these impressive hosts, imagine how scary that would be.
  • Nothing important happened today...

It was a very bad episode in general. Nothing important really happened. They dragged stuff out into infinity to fit it into the episode.

Like the training sessons, the unnecessary chit-chat and then the long trip into the hiveship when nothing actually happened. The episode could easily have been trimmed down to 20 minutes and still contain everything it contains now.

What's even more horrible is that this is a mid-season finale! What a horrible mid-season finale!
  • Sheppard and his team are summoned to a planet to meet with a mysterious ally. It's a trap and Lt. Ford and his band of followers start by giving the Wraith enzyme to everyone but Sheppard to prove its effectiveness and then there is the plan.

Disappointed immediately by the fact this is a two parter. It seems that way too much time is spent on long story arcs that really aren't that good and stories with promise are limited to a single episode or loose something in a single episode story. A good example was the last episode Aurora and Condemned both could have been a much more effective as two parter shows.

This episode did nothing for me. The first part reminded me a lot of the initial episodes without all of the unknown. Sheppard knew that going through with this mission was not a good idea. How he allowed it to go this far is beyond me.

So you have two thirds of the team and the remainder of Ford's group captured and McKay and the rest of Ford's guys at the planet. Also this will clue the Wraith into the fact that Atlantis is not destroyed. Notch another one up for Ford. Obviously he is not thinking straight and that is the real problem with the enzyme.

We'll see how this all works out in the end. Thanks for reading...
  • Ford, again...

It never goes easy and this time the team walks into the trap what Ford has made for them. He needs Sheppard and his team for little mission. They play a little came hopping to get to the dart and then fly home but Ford plays with Sheppard again and McKay is taken prison and other's sent there.

So, they go but the dart does not work the way - dart goes autopilot and they set the alarm. They have stylish fight but in the end, there is not much they can do against the hiveship full of wraiths. Great episode, but I am sure the conclusion will be better.
  • Great episode...

The team is ambushed and they wake up to find Ford. Ford now has his own team of super soldiers that are on the wraith enzime. The reason Ford wanted Sheppard and his team was so that they can help blow up a wraith Hive ship. Ford has a wraith dart so he gets sheppard to fly it. When they come to the hive the dart goes to auto pilot and then sheppard is mad and he says "R2 I need you to turn the auto pilot off...Now!". That line was just really funny. i also thought that this episode had a really good cliffhanger and I can\'t wait to see what happens next week. later...
  • What an episode, but why so long to wait

This is one of the best this season, good to see the wraith in battle again and interesting twist with lietenant ford as well. Also interesting showing consequences of tayla ability to read wraith minds and that wraith territorial which makes sense in retrospect. No idea how they will get out of this one
  • This series continues to stumble.

6.1
    After the "Aurora" episode preceding this one, there seemed to be a little hope that Atlantis would regain some of its footing. But not so. At least, not yet. What exactly was the difference between this episode and "Underground", where we were introduced to the Genii and their mad plans to attack several hive ships with atomic bombs? Answer: None, except "The Lost Boys" was a pale, pathetic attempt to get milage out of the same old idea, with cheaper settings, fewer special effects, and fewer cast extras and guest stars. Let's face it, attacking a single hive ship with C4 is a real come down from planning an attack on several hive ships with atomic bombs. That tells you everything you need to know about how far this series has fallen.

And it's infuriating, because I started out liking Atlantis a great deal. The first year cliffhanger was superb. But I'm sick and tired of Ford and his meanderings, and the Ronon Dex character is one of the most boring creatures in the history of science fiction. What a tragedy that, in a year when Stargate SG1 has revitalized itself so strongly, Atlantis has turned into a mediocre mess.
  • A nice enough mid-season break...but will there be consequences?

Let me just say that I hate the way that SFC promotes the mid-season break. Half the time, they call it a “season finale”, and other times, the more correct “summer finale”. Whatever the case, it’s just plain confusing to the casual viewer, and with so many SFC shows hitting the mid-season break, there are tons of people posting all over the ‘net about how it sucks that this is a short season. Thanks, SFC…for every positive, you manage to pull out a dozen negatives.

I say this because if I was only half-aware of how SFC does their scheduling, I’d be damned unhappy too. Not because the season would be half as long as it should be (which would be bad enough), but because this is not the best episode to end a season with. It’s definitely mid-season arc progression in scope, not the punctuation on the season itself.

I’ve been waiting for Lt. Ford to factor into the episodes again, and I suppose this is a case of being careful what I wish for. Actually, that may be overstating the case. This is not a horrible episode, and I think this is some of the best work Franks has done in the role. Giving the character this twist has been a real plus. I just didn’t feel the level of excitement that I had been anticipating.

I find the concept itself intriguing. Ford gathers a group of fellow enzyme-addicts into a berserker strike force and decides that the best way to prove his sanity and worth to Weir and Sheppard is to press gang Teyla, Ronon, and McKay into the club. All things being equal, if Ford were sane and rational, letting his old friends see his team in action wouldn’t be a bad call. Forcing Teyla and Ronon into the addiction steps over a rather obvious line.

The problem I have with this (beyond seeing so many characters becoming addicts against their will) is the principle of consequences. It goes something like this: if you’re going to have characters undergo terrible personal circumstances, there should be equally serious consequences. The way I see it, everything suggests that the enzyme is highly addictive, to the point that Ford and his gang see nothing wrong with “feeding” off the Wraith in ways not unlike the Wraith feed off humans.

Teyla and Ronon are quickly falling into the same addiction. As much as that’s becoming more and more obvious, I can’t help but think that there’s little to no chance of it being a long-term problem. Similarly, there’s the whole situation on the Wraith hiveship. All things being equal, none of them should survive, least of all Sheppard. But the fact is that we all know the regulars will survive, so the tension of the moment is somewhat mitigated.

The tone and pacing didn’t quite do it for me, either, but it’s mostly the fact that there are many issues that are likely to come up that, for many reasons, probably won’t. This season on “SG-1”, consequences are being delivered on a regular basis. I’m still waiting for McKay’s bad judgment in “Trinity” to have a long-term effect. I know that there’s still a second half and things could change dramatically in that hour, but right now, I have my doubts.