Stargate Atlantis

The Lost Tribe (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 10, 2008 on Syfy

• Too much story for one episode?

This has to have been the shortest mid-season hiatus in years, which is probably a good thing. The mid-season cliffhanger was a great episode for the series, and if Sci-Fi Channel wants to have any credibility while claiming that this is the "greatest season of Stargate ever", then they'll need all the help and momentum they can get.

This was a good resolution, but I don't think it was as impressive as it could have been. The intention was to set up another shift in the status quo for the Pegasus Galaxy, leaving plenty of room for future exploration, so a number of elements were left wide open. I wouldn't say that it was sloppy, but with so little left to the series proper, it does increase the chances of major dangling plot threads.

I'm also not entirely sold on the revelation that the new galactic threat is an offshoot tribe of Asgard. They might as well have made them leftover warriors from the time of Anubis. I'm not sure what to make of this particular turn of events; perhaps they were sorry about the decision to wipe out the Asgard in the series finale for "SG-1". Whatever the case, this left me underwhelmed, It was hard enough to take the Asgard seriously when they were allies. Who can argue that the enemy from "The Daedalus Variations" wouldn't have been a better choice?

Also, more time could and should have been spent on Todd and the philosophical struggles over the future of the alliance. Todd seems to have believed John regarding the presence of a new enemy, thus letting Team Atlantis off the hook, but as edited, the episode left his intentions and thoughts a bit remote. The implications for the alliance were rather grim after the previous episode, especially any chance of Dr. Keller's treatment seeing the light of day, so it would have been nice to see that explored.

On the other hand, how could they hope to resolve the mid-season cliffhanger, if they had kept those philosophical concerns intact? Even the restoration of the Atlantis stargate was dealt with in passing. Oddly, Sheppard's semi-relationship with the Travelers saw more screen time than, say, what Ronon was doing for the second half of the episode. There was simply too much to cover in a single episode.

In the end, was this a bad episode? Not at all. But I think the loose ends are more glaring in the light of the series cancellation. It's felt like the past few seasons have often squandered opportunity, and I don't want to see the final season fall into the same unfortunate pattern.