Stargate Atlantis

The Return (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 22, 2006 on Syfy

• A very good episode to break of mid-season.

I did think that this episode was good, but that was until I saw part 2 and Echoes. They were infitely better, not that Part 1 was bad. Seeing the McKay-Carter-Gate-Bridge for the first time was quite jokes although it wasn't quite what I had expected. I thought one of two things, either it would just be someone going through a gate, dialling to the next one and then dialling to the next one and so on (obviously now I think about it it doesn't work quite that way) and the other way was similar to what is the case, but I thought the midpoint would be like a mobile Stargate Command, weapons and all and staff and military personnel. This one is just two stargates tied together through a cage and it didn't seem like there were any weapons to defend itself but that may just not have been disccussed.

I didn't really like the way the Ancients were portrayed. It's been discussed ad nauseam in the forum section, with me taking part, some of the Ancients besides the crew of the Aurora must have been safe people. The leader just locks them out of Atlantis and asks them to leave. I wasn't a big fan of that. I was a fan though of the Asurans attacking and then seeing the Atlantis team get out of the SGC and to a Puddle Jumper in order to try and retake Atlantis. This episode was good, it was brilliant, but I thought the second part and 'echoes' were much better. But obviously you need this one to truly understand what happens in the next few episodes, not to mention as a mid-season cliffhanger it is very good.