Stargate Atlantis

The Seed

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 18, 2008 on Syfy

• A completely generic SciFi episode in every way. A (mumble) virus infects the doctor and she starts to turn into an Alien Queen, I mean, Wraith Hiveship. A technobabble virus is engineered to save the day, and after some false tension all is smiles.

I can't count the number of times we've seen this plot in every single bad science fiction series since Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. When are SciFi doctors going to start working with some reasonable biohazard precautions? This isn't just bad from a science fiction point of view, requiring a moderate degree of the suspension of disbelief, but is downright absurd from a character point of view - we're supposed to believe that they haven't learned from the last few times this happened to them, or the dozen times it happened to SG-1? And that's just in this universe, we know they have science fiction in that universe, did none of them ever watch Star Trek?

The episode was utterly predictable from the first few minutes: as soon as we see the doctor having goo on her hand, we KNOW that she's infected, we know that she'll ignore it, we know that Something Really Bad will happen to her as a result, and that some technobabble solution will be required to reverse the problem, save the day in the last 180 seconds, and hit the reset button except for a long lost character is back in play (almost as an aside) and the new commander doing the predictable things in his new role.

The only thing that would be worse would be if Woolsey pulled a Shatner and started ranting about some moral to the entire plot, instead of doing his lame self-examination of his violations of bureaucratic protocol.