Stargate Atlantis

The Shrine

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 22, 2008 on Syfy

• Absolutely Brilliant, but poigniantly sad as well. Its a horrible thing to lose your memory & regress to your second childhood as its called by Ronan & Tayla's people. But its really hard for the loved ones witnessing this trama as Jeannie & the team show

At first I found the flashback scenes a little hard to digest within the story line, but in the end I just read the date and time stamp in the bottom right hand corner of McKays tapes and found it easier to follow. When you grasp the small timeline, you realise just how quickly McKays memory degraded and how quickly the team reacted to his plight. Shows true friendship and love.

Anyone who has ever suffered with a loved one who has dementia would have found this episode quite disconcerting and frustrating at the same time. It was good to see Jeanie in the storyline again as I find the interaction between the two characters makes for great scenes.

I also loved the scene with Johm and Rodney on the Pier of Atlantis. It seemed like the right thing to do. Grab your sick and dying mate and ply him full of alcohol on the precipis of a huge drop into an extremely deep ocean in the middle of the night, whilst all the time rocking backwards and forwards in gales of laughter hoping not to drop off said precipis into said deep ocean. Thats almost the Aussie way of doing things. Then afterwards you would lament at the funeral that thats how he would have wanted to go - not get sick and then die.

Hey what about Ronan shooting the parasite with his big gun? That was overkill but so Ronan. And Keller panicking about operating near the Shrine? I thought these armed forces doctors could do anything anywhere? Most of the army medics I know would have just cleaned up the area and got going the best they could. I like Keller, but a great deal about her characters personality does not gel with the position she holds if you know what I mean. Although I did see Rodney falling in love with her. I saw it a while back. And Rodney saying he loves her - why not? On the edge of death we all do things we may not ordinarily do. Yep I think that does fit for now. Remember Rodney has already bought an engagement ring so that tells us he is emotionally ready for an attachment. Then he did mention that he liked the idea of passing on his genetics to another human. And he tried to hold Tayla's baby (until he dropped it), so he does like the idea of kids. Not it all fits in the storyline I believe.

Great episode and I loved it!