Stargate Atlantis

The Shrine

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 22, 2008 on Syfy

• Fantastic episode, although characterization a little off.

For more than a decade the SG-1 show was my favorite program (I continued to enjoy the DVD'S and the DTV films well after the shows cancellation) until the fourth season of Atlantis. The fifth season simply took that to the next level. This episode was a prime example of how perfect an episode can be when the writing and acting are in perfect sync. I can't really say any more that is positive about the episode, it was a joy to watch and I look forward to the DVD's so I can watch it again with commentary.

On the other hand, I like to disassociate myself from time to time and watch my favorite sci-fi in that mindset and while I constantly sing the praises of the show to my friends as an example of "smart television" (nerd TV as it were) this episode to an outsider would probably appear ridiculous. Whether you believe in global warming or not, the blatant usage here as a scare-tactic was unnecessary, considering the overall conflict of the episode had nothing to do with it (the catalyst of the plot could have been anything) and the arrogant attitude the Earth-native humans have over the Pegasus-native humans is out of character for the franchise. Specifically I refer to Dr. Keller's automatic dismissal of the "mystical place" that Ronon refers to that might help Rodney briefly, considering they all came to Atlantis through a metal gate found in the desert in Giza in the 1920's, and since the formation of the SGC 13 years before Lord knows how many "mystical ancient devices" turned out to yield post-modern technology or the very least positive results. Rather out of character for a member of an expedition member who has to retain an open mind.

Those moments aside, I really did love the episode rather because I enjoy trying to predict how an episode will play out, and being proven wrong.