Stargate Atlantis

The Shrine

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 22, 2008 on Syfy

• An very emotional Rodney episode with a great performance by David Hewlett.

One of the things I like about Stargate Atlantis is the writers ability to create great action-packed shows, emotional chracter-driven shows, or maybe a combination of both, and still make the episode interesting. The idea of Rodney's picking up the Pegasus version of chicken pox and is excellent and well conceived. This kind of story runs the risk of being overplayed or made to look ridiculous but it is dealt with in a sensitive and respectful manner. David Hewlett really has an opportunity to shine in this episode and he does. His performance is entirely convincing and, at times, he actually had me believing this was all happening in front of me.

The minor criticism for this episode is the Deus Ex Machina of the "shrine". From the moment it was mentioned, it was obvious it was going to be some magical ancient machine that could heal all of McKay's problems. However convenient it was, I did like how it played out though. And the fact that it is included on a Wraith stronghold added a little peril to the episode, though the presence of the Wraith did nothing to interfere with the main plot. If I'm going to nitpick, I would also say that Keller's quick-fix surgery in a damp cave under the threat of Wraith discovery using tools from a first aid kit was a bit of a stretch, but I'm going to let that slip as it was a great episode overall.

There's not much else to mention about this one really. It's definately not action packed and some might even call it a filler episode, but it is worth watching if only for Hewlett's performance. I'm giving this one 9/10.