Stargate Atlantis

The Siege (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 18, 2005 on Syfy

• As the Wraith continue to approach the people of Atlantis prepare to evacuate, auto-destruct the city, and see if they can get the satellite defensive system up and running. Also they discover Bob the Wraith has beamed aboard from the destroyed Dart.

It has begun, the season ending three part thriller to the first year of Stargate Atlantis. Dr. Weir has an interesting problem. Can she really in good conscious destroy a city over ten thousand years old and its vast knowledge base? Many times in our own history civilization and advancements have been lost because of war and destruction. I sight the loss of the Buddhist shrines in Afghanistan destroyed by the Taliban because of there perceived negative influence on the general population. Humans as a race seem to be adept at destroying what is most precious to us in the end for what may be short term gains. The satellite story line was interesting with Dr. Peter Grodin played by Craig Veroni making his last appearance in the series. The special effects of destroying that hive ship were tremendous. Also it would cause the Wraith to pause to wonder what else is out there for them to deal with. That one shot dropped there force by a third.

Bob the Wraith was a bit of a surprise but the story was a little superfluous as we really didn't learn anything other than Sheppard can be a little barbaric at times. Overall a strong first part to basically the three part movie completing the first season and starting the second. It will be fun to see how or if everyone gets out of this. I am fascinated by the structure of these shows and how the SciFi Channel really put this series into production. During this first season we have seen basically three or four made for TV movies within the first season of Stargate Atlantis. Thanks for reading...