Stargate Atlantis

The Tower

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 03, 2006 on Syfy

• See Summary

The Tower was a very entertaining episode. It was not really action packed, yet the pace was steady, and exciting. There was an underlying theme in this episode about class, as in those who rule, and those who serve. It is interesting to see all of the different societies and how they use any Ancient technology, and what type of societies develop in part because of how such things are used. It makes me think of our own reality, where in the past, royal blood lines ruled the world, and in part still do today. Why do we as people stand for it? What gives them the right? They certainly don't control any Ancient Alien technology to protect Earth, or do they? haha.
  • Boring, predictable writing for this series hits an all-time low

I was going to discuss how utterly predictable this episode was, how it was symptomatic of all my issues with this series this season, and what the writers need to do to get this series back on track. But as I sat down in my post-Super-Bowl-Dinner digestive haze, I realized that I had something else on my mind. Something that the writing staff needs to get through their complacent heads.

Most network series that get a full-season pickup have 22-24 episodes for that season. It is a completely reasonable expectation that the producers, writers, cast, crew, and everyone else involved with the production step up to the plate each and every episode. That’s what they’re paid for. The very idea that there might be room in the schedule for “filler” episodes is a complete crock.

Look, this isn’t comics. It used to be that every comics company, for each major title, had a number of “inventory” stories that were ready to go, just in case the usual suspects couldn’t deliver on time. These were the “filler” stories, the one-issue tales that did nothing to advance the character or change the status quo. They were pleasant enough, but annoying, especially if they were dropped into the schedule without advance notice.

But episodic television is different. They get hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode to bring it each and every week. They are expected to deliver a consistent quality product, because the same people should be running the shows each and every episode. Maybe they bring in a spec script once in and while, but the vast majority of the work is produced in-house by the writing staff. There should be no room for “filler” episodes. Yes, there should be character development and transitional arc episodes, but there’s no excuse for dumping something substandard into the schedule, as if “there’s room for a few mid-season filler episodes”.

Sorry. I don’t buy it. Especially when the writing staff for SFC shows get 20 episodes a season. That gives them less opportunity to phone in the scripts, and less excuse for slacking off. Look at “BSG”, which has exactly the same number of episodes. There’s not one episode that could be termed “filler”. An episode or two may not hit the mark, but it’s not for lack of trying. Each episode advances the plot and character arcs in some way, and details are very important.

What did this episode contribute to the advancement of the plot and character arcs for “Atlantis”? So they have a few more puddle-jumpers, lots of drones for the next Wraith attack, and so on. In the first season, incremental changes like that were usually tied to a solid stand-alone episode, not some waste of money and time. For that matter, take the episode of “SG-1” that aired on the same night (9.15): a stand-alone tale that leveled serious long-term consequences on the season arc. What did this episode do for what has been passing as the arc for this season of “Atlantis”?

A lot of people say that “filler” episodes are par for the course. Not every episode can be a winner, and if you give a writing staff the chance to experiment, not every experiment will succeed. Fair enough. But there’s a difference between high-concept experimentation and complacency. The writers for “Atlantis” are acting like they don’t even have to bother trying, and frankly, it’s starting to piss me off. I shouldn’t tune into “Atlantis” and find myself staring at an episode that would have been substandard for “Andromeda”.
  • Sheppard and the team find a spire that looks like the central one for Atlantis on a planet with a very low level of technology among the people. Sheppard gets invited to The Tower and learns a secret to how these people have survived.

Basically we are running out of jumpers and those pod type weapons and here is an opportunity to replace them without really doing the current owners harm as they really can't use them anymore. A moral and civilization quandary all the way around.

Do they (The Earthlings) as visitors have the right to change any government even if they don't like it or feel it is wrong. Sort of sounds like another world and another country we are familiar with.

In this case the ends justify the means for the Earthings. Atlantis needs the weapons and this planet can't use them anymore so...

What this episode really brings up is that there must be more of these cities in this or the Milky Way galaxy to be found. Did they just build the two? One has to think not.

The storyline to this episode was irrelevant as the importance of the episode itself was to explain why and how Atlantis gets a recharge for its weapons system. Now this society that has fallen on bad times is once again open to the attacks of the Wraith.

One last thought, would it really be smart to just go around the galaxy handing out Atlantian gene therapy to everyone you run into? What was with that?

Interesting idea, poorly executed again. This show seems to go from brilliant to questionable really fast. Thanks for reading...
  • For me, at least...

I loved this. First maybe, because it was nice to see Peter Woodward on some new role and it fitted him very well - that kind of not so blank character and little twist in the end, to find out who that man really is.

The second thing I loved about this episode was Beckett on action. He should stop making house calls. It would be better for him, but we like to see him around.

Third - all the lovely loot they got - throne, jumpers, maybe those yellow things. They did got some new things and knowledges.

The only thing what I would say, was not so great, was the storyline himself. Some parts were amazing but nothing too special happened. They did not have developed their main storyline for long time.
  • Everyone needs an evil twin.

"This plot has already been done on another show," could be said about any episode of any show. It’s not what you do its how you do it. And The Tower does it well.

Atlantis, once again, does a fantastic job of taking elements unique to its universe and weaving them into a classic story. The royal blood line is pumped with the Ancient Gene and their fore they royal family lives with the Ancient technology at its disposal.

And while using the Atlantis set is a great way to keep production costs down, it also hints that there maybe OTHER city ships in the galaxy. And that there may still be the facility that built the city ships.

But this episode will be remembered in seasons to come when Atlantis takes to the skies to fight the Wraith.

Seriously, a series classic.
  • My, my, my, how the mighty have fallen

This is one of the better Shepherd based episodes...that we have seen in a while. Which is to say, that there have been many better ones in the past.

McKay, on the other hand, has not allowed the lessons of last weeks episode go to waste.

Overall this was a nice romp of an episode. Sure the guest characters with a little (ok a lot) 2-dimensional, but, hey, that is usually the case with Atlantis characters. Peter Woodward did an excelent job as the chamberlain and almost, but not quite, stole the show himself.
  • Atlantis has a replica of itself.

The team founds a replica of Atlantis, and also discovers that the inhabitants are subjected to giving up have their crops for protection against the Wraith. This was a good episode, except for the fact there is not much of Dr. Weir, only at the end. I think Shepard and Dr. Weir are attracted to one another and there needs to be more interaction between them.
  • Another great example of a great show.

The story was different, and not as edgy as all of them, but the characters, as always, really kept me glued to the show. The characters, Rodney mostly, really make a great show even better and more entertaining, this episode was no exeption. Looking forward to more next week with them.
  • ... didn't they do pretty much the same thing on Farscape?

Don't get me wrong, I truely enjoyed this episode, but the back of my brain just kept saying "they did thid on Farscape". Those of you who watched that series know what I mean, the time where John (Crichton, this time) was being forced to marry the princess because they were genetically compatible. In this case, John (Sheppard, in this show) is dragged into the battle for succession because he has the gene to control the Ancients' technology. The basic plots are very similar. That aside, I don't deny that this was a good episode. I loved the dialog, and the guest cast was perfect. As always the core actors did a fine job. This show just keeps getting better.
  • The episodes are getting better and better, good acting and a decent plot but too predictable at some moments.

7.9
    The team finds a world that possesses Ancient defense technology, where Colonel Sheppard finds himself a pawn in the rivalry between the heirs to the throne....

This episode's plot wasn't so original either but it doesn't matter so much for me, what matters for me is how the plot is being done and what is happening between the beginning and the end. And another important thing, that it isn't way too predictable. This episode wasn't too predictable, but if they only had done so The Lord Protectors assistant (played by Peter Woodward) a little more misleading it would have been great. Just so you wouldn't know what he was planning. I have now completely forgiven SG-Atlantis for that horrible episode "Epiphany" and I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

The acting is better than usual, mostly by Jason Momoa and by Peter Woodward, I also saw some improvements from the others but mostly them. That is good ofcourse, but it can get better.

I think we're going to see this new city in the future episodes and it opens up a lot of good original storys to create. Very good!
    Now, I only want to see them create a little less predictable episodes, a little better acting and little more character development. If they succeed, Atlantis is going to be awesome.
    I hope they'll succeed on the next episode, it has a good plot and the plot is both good for character development and to get deeper with the acting.
  • Possibilities for future plots...

This episode opens up several opportunites for future episodes. We know that since this city is virtually identical to Atlantis it can lead to a potential disaster in that this city also has a star-drive. Even without a proper power source, if this falls in the hands of the Wraith, this could present a problem to the humans.
  • A very good start to finish episode. Not too much character development But! We do get to see Ronon act pretty B.A. which is nice to see.

A bookended episode harking back to the early seasons of SG1 (Did I say harking?). Quite atypical for what has been presented so far in the second season. The writing quality (unlike mine) has progessively gotten better. New planet blah blah. Fiefdoms and all, a renanisasasense (don't care it's spelled right to me) appeal. We ,through consquences of the kingship and Ronon serving some cronies, come to strife against them. That and theres a very nice Black Adder reference it seems in there too, McKay keep calls his village guide "Baldrick".
  • the team find an exact copy of atlantis on a world where most of the people live in a feudal system

so this is not the most original plot but is has some strong performances, joe flanigan seems to be getting the o' neill jr style down to an artform and david hewlett's rodney mckay is getting more fun to watch every episode

so they find a people that live in poverty because they have to give half of their crops to "the tower"

rodney finds out that the tower is actually the spire of a copy of the city of atlantis only beter stocked with drones

(raises plenty of questions )

the city is controlesd by a feudal lord who rules because he is the one that has the ancient gene that allows him to control the equipment including the chair

when sheppard is scanned his ancient genes show up and he is taken to the city where he gets drawn into a struggle for power between the lord protector (who is sick or as we find out later poisoned)his arrogant sob of a son and (predicable) a hot daughter. plotting behind the curtains is the lord protectors assistant (played by peter woodward good as always)who is like a spider in the web

it al hits the fans when Ronon take out some of the towers bully soldiers and the rest of the team start a revolution

the lord protector dies eventhough Beckett is brought in to try to save him.

anyway the assistent grabs the girl to marry and proclaims himself lord protector and starts to launch drown to flatten the village (sorry no rebellion allowed) but mackay manages to overload the aging zpm by starting the city's stardrive

the lord protector tries to kill shepard but ends up cutting himself with his own poisoned blade

tough luck

the episode ends with sheppard telling weir how they managed to get some drones, some puddlejumpers and how he even "got the girl" (or could have he turned her down) weir tells him "they probably offered you to be their king" to which he replies "turned that down also"

fun to watch