Stargate Atlantis

Thirty Eight Minutes

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 30, 2004 on Syfy

• Sheppard's team does a recon of the Wraith planet to find them gone. As if it flew away in on piece. Sheppard is attacked by a large insect and the "Puddle Jumper" ends up lodged halfway in the Stargate leaving thirty eight minutes before they die.

We find out some interesting and vital information about the Stargate. Basically anything has thirty eight minutes to totally bridge the Stargate before it shuts down on any one trip through. There are lower life forms that mimic the Wraith and the way they feed. Dr. McKay's character is really as annoying as he seems to be all of the time!

It looks as if the whole Wraith complex was actually a ship of some kind that must have been on this planet for centuries. The whole thing lifted off leaving a large crater in its wake. As Ford said, "It's not a blast crater" so it must have just took off. This somehow seems very ominous to say the least.

Those Wraith that were left behind were different than the main ones. The Wraith must live and work in a hive type mentality. Those few Wraiths we saw looked like soldier Wraiths Similar to the soldier ants you see. If you look at an ant hill you'll see different size ants, workers, soldiers, drones, etc. Each has there own specific job and they work for the queen.

That bug was reminiscent of the Alien crature but not as creepy. Not that this one wasn't creepy, but it healed itself even after it had been blown to bits by Ford sidearm. I believe it was blown out the airlock at the end. I hope!

Is McKay going to crack under the pressure each time something happens. They spend about as much time placating his idiosyncrasies as they do with the problem at hand. I really hope they get past this.

I'm still enjoying the Weir, Sheppard, Teyla, and Ford characters. They really move these stories forward and are quite effective. We got to see some of the other scientist's as well in this episode. I also enjoy the doctor's role in all of this. He has good beside manner.

Pretty good comeback after the last episode. I enjoyed this one more and the tension was more real for me. Thanks for reading...