Stargate Atlantis

This Mortal Coil (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Dec 07, 2007 on Syfy

• A dissenting faction of good replicators has made perfect doubles of McKay, Sheppard, Weir, Teyla & Ronon, human in every way and with all their knowledge and feelings and morality. They contact their originals in Atlantis and meet on a beautiful planet..

Definitely one of the BEST episodes EVER on Stargate Atlantis, except that the ending sucks and was quite annoying! A dissenting faction of good replicators has made perfect doubles of McKay, Sheppard, Elizabeth Weir, Teyla and Ronon, who are human in every way and have all of their knowledge and feelings and morality, except that they have nanites in them which enable them to heal instantly. They created them in order to study ascension. However, in doing so they used up too much of their energy, and when being attacked by the other replicators they agree to let the doubles escape just before they are destroyed by the other replicators. The doubles contact their originals in Atlantis and meet on a beautiful planet with rainforests, but the other replicators have tracked their ship and start attacking the group. In order to help the originals escape, the doubles create a distraction and sacrifice themselves.

There was no need to get the duplicates killed for some stupid closure or because of limited imagination by the script writers. It would have been much more interesting to keep them alive and have them come back and stay in Atlantis for at least a few more episodes, working together with the originals like twins. Amazing episode, but very disappointing and stupid ending with such a senseless death of the doubles!
  • Replicators trying to ascend and also a twist...

Replicators trying to ascend and also a twist...

what a good episode. It was alot different then what i thought it would be.

first: the replicators that are trying to ascend, so they decide to make reps. of the team to better learn about humans.

second: the meeting between the two was a great scene. the way the two rodney keep complimenting eachother, they finally found there prefect mach.

third: the ending could of been better but i can understand it was we don't want two of everyone running around. THE TWIST: well i saw it did all of u? the way the city got destroyed does anyone notice that it as the same way that carter had her vision, so i am taking it the atlantis can't be destoryed that way anymore as it already happened...
  • Good Episode

I enjoyed this episode. For some reason, it felt short to me, probably because of the time it took for the first part of the story to happen - to realize what was going on. It was an homage to Double Jeopardy, and I liked the two McKays together! But in Double Jeopardy, they didn't have to spend so much time with the introduction because a previous episode already established the existence of the robots.

I was going to nag a lot about Carter not being on the base and not being mentioned once. However, once they explained what was going on, it made sense because Weir never knew Carter took over Atlantis. BUT, later on when we get back to the real Atlantis, there was again no mention of Carter, who really should have at least been notified and should be giving the go-ahead for Sheppard to meet with the duplicates. Anyway, no big nagging this time.

Now that Carter's vision in The Seer has been realized, we can stop guessing! And they have a machine that can track the replicator ships, which is helpful.

The big news of the episode, though, is the fate of Dr. Weir - or is it? In sci-fi, no one dies! Regardless, it was nice to see Torri as Weir again.
  • The producers force Atlantis fans to say goodbye to Weir. And the show has developed a major case of Trek Syndrome: Recycled Plotlines.

We open with an Atlantis team that finds a duplicated Elizabeth Weir and learns they're duplicates living in a duplicate Atlantis so that "good" replicators can learn what it means to be human in order to ascend like the Ancients. Elizabeth Weir was killed (off stage months earlier) and so was her duplicate along with the rest of her duplicate team. The duplicate team learned very easily they were duplicates. They give the "real" team a Replicator black box that lets them track all Replicator Aurora-class warships (no evolution of new vessel types in the last ten thousand years?).

There's potential here to for a recurring plotline with Elizabeth learning what it means to be a duplicate amid the original Atlantis Team, but the Replicators show up to obliterate everyone. Elizabeth and the other duplicates don't have to struggle with a decision to sacrifice themselves as they let the "real" team escape. And when some Replicators find their crashed jumper, it's not Elizabeth who has the last line, but duplicate Sheppherd: "We fooled you (the Replicators). And we almost fooled ourselves."

This episode closes with tons of Replicator ship icons blipping all over a schematic of the Pegasus Galaxy and Rodney saying, "Oh, crap."

Carter was not only absent again, but the "real" Atlantis team functioned fine without her and neglected to even mention she wasn't around because she was, say, back on Earth making a report to the IOA (a poor man's malevolent NID).

"Mortal Coil, Part 1" leaves us with an impending doom to look forward to. (Good news). This episode has shades of robot duplicate SG 1 (Season 1 "Tin Man" & Season 4 "Double Jeopardy") and the Season 8 Amanda Carter replicant storyline. The bad news is that this episode isn't up to par with those it borrowed ideas from. I am a fan of SG 1 and Atlantis. I love the main storyline of the Pegasus Replicators being sicced on the Wraith and how the stakes have been raised by having the Replicators destroy defenseless humans to get at our favorite life-sucking two-legged parasites.

BUT, IMHO, many of the episodes are being produced in a flat, by the numbers, lifeless way in which there's no tension within the scenes, the dialogue is on the nose and expository, and there's little or no internal character struggle and external antagonist opposition. "Mortal Coil, Part 1" is the flatest of this new trend in Atlantis. I believe the writers of this episode were responsible for a number of equally flat SG 1 episodes over the last 10 years. AND Season 4 has been hampered by the questionable (in my view) killing off of Elizabeth Weir. Joe Flanigan's desire to keep Weir in the series and have the Atlantis team try to save her has been overridden by the showrunners to the detriment of the series.

Amanda Tapping was brought in to supposedly add a new character dynamic (blatantly bring over SG 1 fans more like): lead tactical missions and help Rodney and Zelenka pull off scientific miracles. Except when she sporadically appears from filming the two SG 1 films "Continuum" and "Ark of Truth," she acts exactly like Weir. If we're going to see Carter in charge, why not let her BE Carter? The one SG 1 member who wouldn't already duplicate the skill sets of the established Atlantis team AND would contribute to the mission is Daniel Jackson: resident expert on the Ancients, former Ascended human, archaeologist, and a living conscience.

Sadly, the producers seem to be ignoring the fans and aren't properly executing a mistaken change in the series' direction. I feel the series premiere was great. The first half of the first season was a shakedown. The second half of the first season through the end of the second season was the series' longest run of consistent development and drama. Season 3 was uneven, but finished with an exclamation point. Season 4 seems to be playing safe. With SG 1 cancelled and a new series still in development, the renewal of Atlantis for a 5th season is supposed to be great news. But if Season 4 keeps going the way it has been, I wonder how many people will stick around for next year?

I'm sad to see the show being sent stumbling in its new direction. Boris
  • An interesting, if too brief, look at identity

Considering that this is essentially the mid-season finale, this episode is unusual. The vast majority of the story is set in an alternate Atlantis, where newly created "copies" of Sheppard, Teyla, McKay, and Ronon uncover the mystery of their creation and the status quo of the Asurans, their creators. This eventually leads into an advancement of the overall Replicator arc, but the progress is ultimately incremental.

In terms of the season arc, this episode gives Team Atlantis important intelligence. They are now aware of the Asuran resources (far more than expected) and they have the means to track the movements of the Asuran ships. If nothing else, that should give them ample warning should one of those ships come in the direction of Atlantis. On the other hand, it gives them a true sense of the scale of the Replicator threat, and it is not a comforting thought.

The episode itself, however, is more a meditation on the concept of self. The writers approach two lingering continuity problems with a single plot twist. While the bulk of the Asurans have chosen to pursue the war with the Wraith, a select minority has been continuing to experiment with methods of artificial ascension. To this end, they created "copies" of key Team Atlantis members, built from the ground up and infused with the personalities and memories of the originals.

Not only does this follow up nicely on the first appearance of the Asurans and their concerns about the ability to ascend, but it provides the opportunity to tie up loose ends with Elizabeth Weir. Weir appeared to survive her capture by the Replicators; in fact, it seemed like the perfect way for the writers to slip Weir into the background until a strong character arc could emerge. Instead, this episode delivers a more definitive answer: Weir was killed by the Asurans, and the "copy" is all that remains.

This positions Weir (or, more correctly, her copy) at the center of the philosophical discussion. If the original Weir is dead, but her copy is identical in nearly every respect, does the copy have the right to the same opportunities as the original? And what about the other "copies", all of which must consider the existence of the originals?

Unfortunately, this is too deep a subject to cover in the space of half an episode, so most of these questions are raised with no hope for true consideration. It's hardly surprising that the "copies" are soon forced into a suicide mission to save Team Atlantis from the Replicators, thus erasing any issue of "individual rights". It's a far more heroic end for Weir than an off-screen death would have granted, after all.

Reaction to that bit of news will probably determine one's acceptance of the episode itself. Weir fans will be annoyed that the writers kept options open, only to toss them aside so quickly. This episode gives Weir a relatively strong send-off, given the philosophical heft of the related concepts, but unless Weir's "copy" managed to survive the end of the episode, it's unfortunate that the character couldn't be given a spectacular sendoff.
  • It's just stargate :)

Very good episode but i'm stargate fan so i'm very suspicious to give an opinion.

This episode in my opinion is just a remake of an episode of stargate sg-1 has many of stargate atlantis episodes but the similarity of the plots maked that predictable. But like i said i'm stargate fan so any episode is good to me.

But it think that this one may have a different path in the next episode. Let us hope so.

So don't miss this episode because if 4 SGA members are good 8 and comeback of Dra. Weir is a blast.

This episode is just more of stargate but still a great episode.
  • Different then what I am used to seeing from a Stargate mid season finale. But still great.

As soon as I found out that the mid season finale was going to involve replicas of the Atlantis team I was having flash backs to the SG-1 episode Identity with the repli-Carter. Some how they managed to not make it just another episode of sci-fi with the same recycled story lines. Well the base has been done to death the Atlantis characters made it their own. The acting was great. And there was the usual dose of funny banter that I have come to love. I was a little surprised that this was the mid season finale. I am used to being left with a cliff hanger like in the previous three seasons. I am very happy that there is a significantly smaller gap between half's. It also helps that it wasn't a cliffhanger. So well I'll miss Atlantis for a month or two, I won't be desperate for the conclusion. Awesome episode.
  • This episode explains a lot, first of all Col Carter's vision, and why a replicator ship was destroying atlantis.

I get is now, see on the episode The Seer, Col Carter saw the atlantis control tower breaking and falling down, so turns out it wasn't the atlantis she thought, instead a duplicate city, for Col Sheppard's team's duplicates...

Its nice to see Dr. Weir again, I've been waiting for her comeback episode for months, but there is one thing I couldn't believe, why were they so stupid as to put all of the duplicates in the jumper, they cound have just put sheppard, or ronan in there, and it eventually leaded to the death of the dupicates, how sad eh??
  • Duplicates of Shepperds team are created by a rebel faction from the replicators to help them aid in their final goal to ascend.

This episode was neat. It had an intersting start with what looked like the real atlantis turning out to be a clone made by the replicators to aid them in their goal to ascend. Also the visions from the Seer are explained in this episode. The vis effects are top notch and were very effective in what they needed to show.

Off the ball a bit, i respect other's people's opinion i really do, its healthy. But why do people need to over analyse everything and whinge that this story has been done before, when its only a small portion of it anyway. Just enjoy it for what it is, its a show its meant to entetain people. Why wreck a good episode by worrying over things that well, no one really cares about that much. I bet you when atlantis wraps up in years to come everyone will say how they miss it, when it will be the same people who constantly nagged about the negatives of it.
  • Well, it's a bit different. That's something, isn't it?

7.2
    While the fact that the characters are revealed to be Replicators means the audience doesn't really care much about them, it still provides an interesting way to tell the story. It's also better than having yet another episode where the team are captured, escape, etc etc. At least the writers are trying to make the episodes different, even if the story isn't that great. The two McKays provide some laughs (although David Hewlett is always a good source of comedy in this show), and the vision from a previous ep is explained. There's a good cliffhanger too. Not a bad episode.
  • I'm disappointed in this episode. "It's like deja vu all over again"

This one hit a little to close to an SG1 episode Tin Man. Don't get me wrong I will take a new episode of SGA anyday and the fact that I am critisizing it right now makes me wanna cut of my own hands just to stop writing this but couldn't they think of anything original. The whole SGA series hits a little close to SG1 having basically the same format which is just fine considering it is a spin off. However this is the first time I have ever been so distracted by the similarities. As a whole the episode was great. If you don't watch SG1 you would never even realize that they appear to be using this same story line over. As well there were some critical things revealed in this episode that are important to the season 4 story line. I just thought that there may have been a better way of going about this.
  • Liked this, the FIRST time, on SG-1.

I really liked the robotic SG-1 episode, I thought it was really interesting. I didn't even mind so much when they recycled the idea and made the replicator Carter.

But now SA is reusing the idea? That's just unoriginal and lame. Get your own plotlines!

Speaking of stealing plot from SG-1 - so Amanda Tapping has joined the cast -- fine, I like her character. Bringing in the replicators (ok, they needed another villian besides the Wraith). However.... now they're duplicating storylines (LAME!) AND whole series arcs... we find out the replicators want to ascend. Now the concept of Ascension was an interesting concept and exploration of ideas of religion and those kinds of subplots are why I've always preferred SG-1. But it belonged to SG-1 and trying to make SA into a clone isn't the way to go.

Hey Stargate Atlantis.... get your own damn plots/story arcs, get your own damn enemies!
  • Back On Form

Having only recently got into SGA, watching all 4 seasons - to this episode, over the last 2 months, I have noticed a massive drop in plot quality. I was pleasantly surprised with sga and after committing to this show, I couldn't believe how good it was. Season 1&2 where awesome, great story-lines continuing throughout the series made this show a winner, but once the wraith battle kinda fizzled out season 3 slowed down a touch, and then they chopped the Doc & wier - I was gutted.

Season 4 has been disappointing, filler episode after filler episode - until now!! This episode, and mainly the next, sees SGA back on track, great tactical plotting & integration of characters past. A Sexed-up episode courtesy of Mckay's cute replicator & Shepherd eyeing up Larrins "assets", its nice to see SGA up the ante for the mid season stakes. This is why I watch it!
  • Old team back together...

The first part of the episode look really boring and not promising, some probe crashing into the city and Zelenka and McKay yelling each other.. and then people start acting weird - again.. that have happened before and again, the team is only one looking normal and we hear some familiar voice in the dark - until we learn that it is just another "fake" Atlantis and they are made by replicators and Elizabeth is there. So, all together, looking like on old days, trying to get away from falling city - too cliche.

But it gets better. They got something important with them and call real their to have a meeting - McKay's together were great. But again, nothing lasts forever and... SO, maybe too cliche and already done storyline but there was something.. and it was so great to see Elizabeth again.
  • ok episode...

It's annoying seeing how much Atlantis takes from SG-1. I want something original! Anyways, the team finds a probe and eventually figure out that they're all replicators made with the memories of their real selves. In the end, they escape and meet with their real selves. I didn't really like the story, but it was funny the way the douples interacted together. I don't really care about seeing Weir again so... I think the story was drawn out and boring. The only reason the episode was any good was because of the humor and the set up for the second part. Overall, just an ok episode.
  • See Summary

The Mortal Coil was a Great Episode!!! It had lots of action, with old foes in new ways. There was plenty of drama, and mystery as well. The scenery of the episode was good as well. The planet where Atlantis now resides is beautiful at night with its multiiple moons. It also has a darker tone to it, and I wonder if this has anything to do with the future of Atlantis? This episode reminds me of SG1 when they are duplicated, and machines, but essentially the same soul on the inside. Though it is more or less the same, this episode was exciting to watch, and I can't wait to find out what happens next!!!
  • Replicators create doubles of Sheppard, McKay, Ronon, Teyla and Weir.

Bring back Elizabeth Weir! Permanently! Samantha Carter was great on SG1 but she doesn't belong in Atlantis. No one cared about Atlantis and the ancients like Weir. I loved them all being united again, it made the episode fun to watch. The characters and actors have such good chemistry. Carter seems out of place with them. It was a funny and well written episode but it seemed they were letting us know that Weir was definitly not coming back. I'll admit, I didn't think her character was that important until she left. If anyone should have replaced her from SG1, it should have been Jackson, at least he was interested in, and knew a lot about Atlantis and the Ancients.