Stargate Atlantis

Trinity

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 19, 2005 on Syfy

• See Summary

This episode was a little slower than the rest, but it was still good. We learned a little more about Ronin, and the Atlantis team encountered a powerful energy source, which makes ZPM's look like batteries. Though it doesn't seem that they can control the device, that it exists is still something for them to consider worth the while. It was also interesting to see how Ronin and Teyla are connecting and though he used her in this episode, it seems as if there may be some underlying feelings between them. I also think that it will be interesting to see if more of Ronin's people will pop up in the future. McKay has also had a lot to deal with, and make up for it seems.
  • Doctor McKay is convinced he is smarter than the Ancients and can solve a problem that killed a whole society in a few days when the Ancients never could solve it. Ronon goes with Teyla on a trade mission and discovers people of his kind still alive.

So Rodney's ego at its best. (worst) He manages to destroy basically a whole solar system including an inhabitable planet and kills one of his own scientists as well. Not only that but he risks the lives of the head of security and himself in the process. I think his ego is writing checks he can't cash!

I really hope we see a change in the response to McKay's insistence at least in the foreseeable future from both Weir and Sheppard. He does solve a lot of problems but half the times it is to get out of bad situations he has caused himself. We'll see what happens.

Now on to Ronon. What was with that? Pulling a knife in a peaceful negotiation? Especially when it didn't involve him personally and he was a guest in the meeting. I think Teyla was awfully civilized with him for that. Then he goes and kills one of the few surviving people from his home planet (I do understand that based on the story.) by manipulating Teyla again to get what he wants. This guy cannot be trusted and I wouldn't any farther than I could throw him. He's now got two strikes against him and I think Teyla really needs to at least let Sheppard in on what happened before he pulls something like this on the team.

Not one of Stargate Atlantis better efforts. Both main stories were a little weak and neither really shined as a lead storyline the way they were played out. The flight sequences in the debris field were spectacular and the special effects were terrific so I give the show some credit for that and the entertainment level. Hopefully they will avoid episodes like this one and the last in the near future if they repeat them. Thanks for reading...
  • Tedious

I've come late to the show through reruns and have been watching from the pilot. This is the first episode I've hit so far which has bored me rigid. Nothing happens. The sub-plot with Ronan and Tayla is mildly interesting but not enough to carry the episode and as for the Rodney plot...well, we spend the entire episode discovering a power source, working on a power source, talking about a power source, testing a power source...colour me extremely surprise when said power source didn't work at the end.

Yes, Rodney learned a valuable lesson. So you could argue there was character development. But I can't help thinking that he could have learned it through a much more exciting/interest plot than this dire effort.
  • Who is Dr. Vogel?

I was just wondering who this Dr. Vogel is that Rodney mentions when they are speculating about what the machine does with Zelenka. He explains to John that the machine might be an "insulary power supply for weapons systems". John gets excited and says "cool" and McCay says "see, see that see how he lights up at the mention of that. It's like Dr Vogel at the mention of pastries." Only no Dr Vogel is mentioned in allusions or trivia and I would really like to know if anyone has any thoughts? Maybe a review isn't the right place for this question but I just wanted faster results than I would get with say a forum post. Awsome episode by the way but you probably already know that since you watched it
  • Rodney's ego destroys the solar system.

A nice episode, just when you think the Atlantis team finally finds the mother of all weapons/power source, you just have to wonder if this was just too good to be true. McKay was at his most arrogant in a way trying to justify his massive ego in trying to top the Ancients in their failures. So of course in the end they not only lose their newest discovery, but McKay and Sheppard barely gets out alive with help of the Daedalus providing cover in a cool CGI sequence. Finally when Dr. Weir was yelling at McKay, I would've never expected McKay's ego to further place himself in a worse spot by stating more of the solar system was destroyed rather than less.
    Btw: Didn't the Ancients' space gun looks similar to the Tollan ion cannon?
    For those that don't know what I mean: The Tollan were an advanced human group on the series SG-1 that were eventually wiped out by Anubis.
  • Things gone bad...

Again, a different episode and it makes really hard to say what is usual episode. I loved this one because whatever they tried, they did not gained anything.

McKay thought he had discovered the most important thing in the universe and could not understand that he could be wrong. I specially loved that part when he was saying that ancients got that wrong, does not mean that he will be wrong. That man has arrogance but also the hot spirit of scientist and he is ready to take risks - this time it had gone to far if there would not have been Sheppard.

And Teyla has some troubles with Dex, as he uses their friendship to kill a man he knew. And the scene when Teyla is taking that up on him and the way she speaks - there looks to be some sparkles or am I wrong.. Anyway, a lot of character development.
  • McKay gets himself into trouble, big time!

In this episode McKay's ego takes over and causes real problems. First off someone is killed when they find an ancient weapon and try to start it up. After some time it becomes clear that it must be us-usable or else the ancients would jave used to weapon in the fight against the Wraith. So McKay tries to get it to work again and he causes an overload which distroys over 5/6 of a solar system! Meanwhile Ronan finds out that he is not the only survivor from his planet. In fact 300 others also lived through the Wraith attack. Overall i think this was a good episode because they showed us for once what it is like to get something wrong and cause a lot of damage. Did McKay do the right thing? I don't know. So far this is turning out to be a great season.
  • Rodney's Ego takes out 5/6 of a solar system (Awesome special effects). Ronon finds out he is not the last survivor, and settles some old scores.

SG Atlantis finds an ancient scientific outpost which was experimenting on a successor to the ZPM, by using advanced physics to alter our own universe (as opposed to creating a minature one, like a ZPM). It is also revolutionary in that it can power a weapon or shield indefinitely and is much more potent than ZPMs. The main problem is that everybody on the planet is dead, the only building standing is the weapon, and the planet is surrounded by debris of destroyed hive ships. The weapon is also just a prototype.
    Rodney tries to get the weapon to work, but it overloads and one of the scientists dies. Weir calls off the experiments, much to Rodney's chargrin. Rodney persuades John to convince Weir to allow him a second shot. He believes that the Ancients had their sums wrong, and that he can fix the problem by overriding some safety protocols. Weir reluctantly agrees, and only allows him and Sheppard to go.
    The experiement is interrupted before it can start by a concerned Zalenka who argues that the physics of the system is beyond prediction and so it is fundamentally a bad idea. Rodney is incensed by this and clamis to be the only one capable of understanding what is going on, and is (grudgingly) allowed to proceed when he convinces Weir that he can guarantee success.
    The experiment goes out of control as Rodney desperately tries to shut it down. Shappard finally manages to convince Rodney to give up and run, after comparing him to pilots who did not ditch their aircraft and ended up crashing. They make it back to Atlantis, thanks in no small part to a cloked Dedalus which takes a lot of hits from a now-active weapon discharging excess energy from the spiking power source.
    The power source becomes unstable and destroys 5/6th of its solar system just after the Dedalus jumps into hyperspace.

Meanwhile, Ronon and Teyla go on a trading mission and find out that 300 civilians of Ronon's world managed to escape the cullings and are now safe. However, Ronon uses Teyla to trick his previous mentor into meeting him, at which he proceeds to kill him. He later explains to Teyla that his mentor's cowardice and trechery led to the deaths of thousands of his people.
    Teyla understands, but warns Ronon never to abuse her friendship again, to which Ronon looks genuinely afraid.
  • Theme of this show was Dr. Rodney McKay's ego against everyone else - including himself!!

Rodney's ego, over-confidence, and high curiousity-to-fear gear ratio combine to propel him and the rest of the Stargate Atlantis team toward a seriously dangerous energy abyss.

An team from Atlantis goes to a planet and discovers a weapon the ancients used to defend against the Wraith. The weapon is powered by a device that draws power using some seriously weird physics.

Almost like Pandora's box, the device draws Dr. McKay into trying to figure out how to use it safely. Caught up in the challenge, he begins to take greater and greater risks in proving he can get it to work.

The drawback of this episode was it did not have a lot of action, and most of the suspense revolved around the question: would Rodney kill himself and everyone else just to see if he could get a super-powered military device to work?

This episode colorfully illustrated just how far the scientist would go to prove his own scientific prowess. And also how unaware he is that his actions are demonstrating his own limits in that area.

The message of this story is: Rodney is dangerous. He lacks caution when waging a high-stakes scientific gamble. He loses perspective and puts his own life and everyone else's at risk, almost without being aware of it.

What this episode would have benefited from is more Wraith-action. Too much Rodney, not enough enemy.
  • OK...

7.6
    This was a very confusing episode. The atlantis team discover a outpost used by the ancients. Rodney thinks that it is some weapon. When they do their first test some guy gets fried. Rodney knws that he could make it work next time so him and shepperd go back but as usual Rodney was wrong and I think they said he blew up three quarters of a solar system. Ronan finds out that there are more survivors from his planet. when he sees his military trainier he picks up his gun and shoots him because he apparently left thousands to die on his planet while saving only himself. Now I mean come on they can do much better than this episode this is my least favorite atlantis episode by far. Later...
  • Below Average...

7.7
    i found this episode really technical and hard to follow.the team finds an ancient weapon on a planet and tries to get it to work. after a while dr. mackay and a group of scientists figure out how to get it to work and something goes wrong. it heats up too much and the guy next to it gets fried alive.then the team tries to escape from the planet with the weapon shooting at them.it was not a bad episode nor a really good one just average . well, thats what i think. i hope the next episode is better.later.
  • Superego... Plays his character a bit over the edge Rodney does.

5.5
    I would have to say that it was an O.K. episode at best. If you watched the special T.V. pre-season openers on SciFi which had the interviews with the cast and crew you would have seen the part where McKay says he is going much bigger this year. Going to destroy Galaxys. I like the premise of the episode just not the way in which it was played out. I like Rodney and his condescending attitude but, I think that it just went to an obnixious level. If it was used as a catalyst for a lasting change in the character I understand. However, it could have been done better. Learning more about Ronin is nice too.
  • Boring

6.8
    There's a new and huge source of energy. Nobody can control it (Ancients included). McKay try to do it but one of the crew dies. The energy is unstoppable. McKay insistes and try again to experiment with this energy, but he fails and they must run away, while the planet (I suppose) explodes.
    This storyline is quite absurd!!!
    Also the Ronan's story is boring. He find this old survived "friend" and with the aid of Teyla, he kills him.
    This episode is totally a loss of time. I think this second season is very boring. Maybe the writers are planning to write something exciting in the next episodes... I hope so!
  • This episode was the most boaring yet.

Nothing realy happens in this episode. Bla-bla Ancient weapon, bla-bla geez I wonder why the ancients did not get it started... boom. And why is it that every show needs an episode like this. Are ideeas that hard to find for a team of writers ? The show is very nice but this episode was %$^#@
  • A bit better than the last, but still some weak points...

Considering how much time I’ve spent complaining about the emphasis on McKay since the beginning of the season, some might have been expecting to hear an echo this week (assuming anyone is actually expecting anything from me…LOL!). But I’m going to cut against my own grain here and actually give this one a qualified thumbs up. Surprising, no?

Perhaps it’s because I enjoyed watching McKay step in it so deeply, apparently without learning much of a lesson. His arrogance goes through the roof in this episode, and this time, he’s not perfect, and it’s not a matter of saying he can’t pull off the miracle just before he does. This is McKay at his absolute worst, and while that alone wouldn’t have been meaningful, his interaction with Sheppard made this worthwhile.

McKay goes from confident to obsessive during the course of the episode. McKay has an almost physical need to succeed, and as the complexity and difficulty of the challenge increases, so does his need to solve the problem. He begins to believe in himself to the point where he can resolve issues even the Ancients couldn’t solve, and that’s right on the edge of complete megalomania. Not quite there, of course, or the character would lose credibility. But it helps give scope to his achievements, because they’ve given him overconfidence in abundance.

It might have been McKay Overkill if the episode hadn’t been more about how McKay’s ego was allowed to explode (literally). Sheppard takes a lot of the blame on himself, but there were a number of other layers involves. Caldwell makes the situation rather plain: if Weir doesn’t follow Sheppard’s lead and trust McKay to control the experiment, then the Pentagon will apply the necessary pressure to make it happen. One way or another, Weir was forced into a corner, all based on the promise of something that could solve everyone’s problems.

McKay was the one making those promises, though, and that’s the issue. McKay was operating out of an intense desire to be the one to save everybody from everything. He would find the perfect energy source, transforming human progress overnight, and he would deliver the ultimate weapon against the Wraith (and maybe even the Ori). Compared to such glory, what were a few technical issues?

I actually like how Caldwell and Weir battle it out, and how Zelenka’s true worth is demonstrated through an exploration of McKay’s faults. Maybe that’s what I liked about this episode; instead of McKay stepping in to save the day, his mistakes lead to a deeper understanding of everyone else’s priorities.

We finally get a bit more out of Teyla, and it’s rather intriguing. Ronon is still working as an individual, and this episode hints to a few problems down the road if he doesn’t get a better sense of the morality he’ll be expected to follow. Interestingly, Teyla shows more of her original edge in this episode, when she effectively tells Ronon that she might have done things his way, given the choice. It brings up an interesting question: is Teyla’s somewhat subdued presence a conscious decision on her part?

That said, Ronon’s scenes weren’t particularly strong. He’s definitely a badass, and he does the action poses very well. Some of the character moments in this episode weren’t nearly as strong. Compared to the near-perfect interaction between McKay and Sheppard, some of those scenes between Ronon and Teyla were just plain painful.

Will this experience change McKay? Probably not. But will it change how others deal with him and his choices in the future? I certainly hope so. I especially hope that Zelenka uses this as a chance to come into his own. I also hope that this becomes the beginning of a process of slow but steady character growth for McKay. Granted, the “Stargate” franchise has been built on characters with a certain static quality, but that doesn’t mean it can’t change.
  • Yawn Another Mckay taking lead again wake me when the good stuff happens

5.5
    Not impressed with this one. Was looking forward to seeing something more interactive between Ronan and Tayla's side story only to get hit in the head with yet ANOTHER Mckay story. The ONLY good that came out of this show was that Mckay got dropped down a few pegs. Would have loved to have seen more of the lead up to Ronan killing the traitor. Not a 30 sec explaination after the fact. All in all when they get over Mckay taking all the lead roles and have a more Rounded Cast lead's then this should pick up. Example. Where's Aiden through all this?? Tayla's gone from lead to background almost oh all the time. Isn't it about time Sheppard kicked some wraith butt. Weir for leading the expidition only takes side seat saying yes no and nothing really getting into her character. Ronan as yet is to establish his role. I think the Doc would make a pretty good lead role every now and again.
    But again will stay tuned FOR NOW
  • Despite this episode was not about the fighting Wraith - directly - it was pretty thrilling side story!!

If the Atlantis team encountered Wraith in every episode it would most definetely become boring wreally fast and writers also would been out of ideas and originality pretty fast - so - time to time there are some side story's showing up. it is just about - how good these stories are. This one is pretty good. Despite having an effect on a primary sory line, it created bigger understanding of situation and background of the galaxy. As to say - it creates a bigger picture. It wasn't all about the action so the actors had to show their skills and i think they did it pretty good.
    And at last - Rodney screwd everything up!
  • Nothing Important Happened Today

A mediocre episode, in my opinion. Nothing much of note to further progress the story occured except what occured between Ronan and his old menthor and the events that followed it. Maybe this will play a role later on in the series.

But other than that, there wasn't much interesting. Sure, there was drama with all the of the almost dying, but it was all very predictable.

Rodney going mad was all very predictable too (the whole series of events). You knew just what would happen next the whole time.

Also, it wasn't anywhere like what the previews lead us to believe it to be (which is kinda good in a way).
  • McKay's ego went down and Ronan discovered some of his people were alive....a filler to me.

7.2
    The weapon found was immediately predictable as unstable. The Daedolus (sp) saving them was predictable. However, I did like McKay getting challenged with a failure this time and it actually being a crushing one. It also helped to see his interaction with Sheppard (who seems way too trusting). Still, it was a predictable plot as was the appearance of the big ole ship to save them.

As for Ronan and Teyla, I liked that they weren't the center of the story. It opened the door for further Ronan development. It also showed some great interaction between the two.

Overall, not my fav but still decent. This season has been better to me than the previous.
  • The Deadalus fighting against the strongest Ancient weapon known: You’d think there something wrong with that picture… Until you see this episode.

The Ancients outpost is very cool. A power-source that is better than the ZPM, but it was to be expected that it was too good to be true. They started of very enthusiastic and they were actually smiling. Then everything hit the fan with a death. A death I thought would have affected McKay more than it did. It was very touching that Sheppard trusted McKay and the two of them and Dr. Zelenka was very good. Like in the episode ‘Runner’ we see character traits of Rodney that aren’t very good. And even though it isn’t one of my favorite things about him, it does cause some very impressive scenes.

It’s kind of interesting to see Ronin in his natural habitat. But I did think it was stupid of him to betray Teyla’s friendship. But that seems to go around in this episode. Now that we know there are more of is people out there, maybe they are like Ronin and want to fight the Wraith and join Atlantis’ cause.

But the best thing about this episode in my opinion is the last scene. It is not one of those scenes that make you laugh or cry. It is not overly exaggerated or too emotional. It’s just a great scene. And it’s a great episode, which released a lot of emotions between the characters.
  • Rodney uleashes a weapon with the capability to tear a hold in the universe and Ronon meets an old "friend" against whom he holds a grudge.

Trinity:
    While doing standard recon on a planet thought to have been destroyed by the Wraith long ago, the team finds an Ancient structure standing intact amidst the ruins. After some investigating, they discover that the monolith served as a military research facility where the Ancients worked to develop an advanced method of harnessing energy. When the Wraith attacked before the project could be completed, the underdeveloped technology malfunctioned and destroyed the civilization.

After the team returns to Atlantis to discuss this find, Teyla is joined by Ronon Dex on a mission to the Belkans to negotiate for a flaxseed that is resistant to disease and has a higher yield than the seeds her people use. While there Ronon discovers that he is NOT the only survivor of his planet when he runs into his old friend Solon (sp.?)

While this is going on McKay has returned to the ruins and is trying to make this work causes the death of one of his Atlantis team. Back on Belkan, Solon reveals that Ronon’s old Taskmaster (drill sergeant) Kell is alive and has his own private army. McKay convinces Dr. Weir to allow him to return to the planet with LTC Sheppard to try, one more time to harness this energy. On Belkan Teyla sets up a meeting with Kell whereupon Ronon kills him because he sacrificed divisions of troops to allow himself to escape at their expense. McKay cannot control the weapon (even at 40% power) and destroys three-quarters of the solar system (actually five-sixths according to McKay) before barely making it out alive with some help from Daedalus.

What makes this episode SO fascinating to me is that it evokes in shorthand for what must have gone on at Project Trinity in New Mexico in 1944 when they were developing the atomic bomb. While that project succeeded it is was not without its costs and radiation burn victims. The scientists at Trinity were not even sure the bomb would detonate. This is a monumental energy source and weapon and could have helped if it could be controlled. There are many who would say that we have done a mediocre job in containing the nuclear genii as the number of nations with the bomb or bomb capability keeps growing – the only thing we haven’t done is USE them since Nagasaki.

Dex, on the other hand, needs to learn how to play together with all the other kidson the team at Atlantis. He strong arms the seeds out of the Belkans and then uses Keyla to get him close enough to Kell so that he can kill him, which he does with great dispatch and then turns around and leaves! Yet another great episode. It seems to me that all three shows are hitting on all cylinders this season!

• A Nothing special episode. I like the "A" story; but who cares about the "B" story.

7.9
    I have really enjoyed Atlantis; especially the last part of season 1 and up to this point, season 2. That being said, I am sad that we are now going to the filler episodes to bide time until we reach the mid-seasons and then the finale.

The Atlanteans find a planet that has several destroyed Wraith ships in orbit. And look what we find..."the ultimate power source!" A power source that "The Ancients" were too stupid to master, but now our humans walk in and..."hey, this is a cake walk." I can't remember a time when Rodney was this cocky about his abilities. I mean I know that he's always very self-assured, but I can't remember a time when he's been SO obsessive about a project. And of course - the test fails nearly killing everyone. Lucky Deadalus is there to provide some cover for our heros. To me this begs one question. IF we know so much about how a ZPM (or Zed PM) works, why can't we build them? I get the impression from McKay that we know pretty much how they work - so what are we missing to build our own ZPM's?

Now, about the "B" story of Ronin and Teyla. I don't know if it's just because I don't care about Ronin or if the writers just haven't made him interesting to me. But I really don't care anything about his back-story anymore. We know he came from a decimated planet. But todays episode takes us somewhere to find a new kind of seed for plants. We find some more of Ronin's people and "BAM" we kill one of them. We all know who he was and what he did....WE DO???? He ordered several soliders to their death when the Wraith came. Millions have died because of the Wraith. It is a soliders job to put their life on the line to protect their people - and the commanding officer usually has the unfortunate job of sending people to their deaths. I just don't buy this back story because he's not that interesting of a character. I think it's time he went the way of Vala - except I like Vala better.