Stargate Atlantis

Trio

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 08, 2008 on Syfy

• Three characters who haven't had a lot of interaction with each other so far trapped in a hole has got to be a challenge to write, but, considering no ongoing plots were forwarded and nothing earthshattering happened it was a pretty good episode.

7.9
    Three characters who haven't had a lot of interaction with each other so far trapped in a hole has got to be a challenge to write, but, considering no ongoing plots were forwarded and nothing earthshattering happened it was a pretty good episode. It can't have been easy writing all that and trying to not make it contrived. Some of it may have ended up that way, but largely I found (Trio) to be very fun to watch.

Though I miss Carson, I love Keller. She's got a naievete about her that makes her a good source of humour in certain situations, but she's always ready to jump in with medical expertise. Like in (Quarantine) she proves that she bores easily and talks to whoever is in the area to try to keep her mind occupied. Her game of 'Who Would You Rather' was brilliant, since, when Sam was on SG-1 she never really got the chance to have many girl-friend moments, especially not in the field.

Rodney was typical Rodney, though he did revert a little bit toward the Rodney McKay he was when he was just a guest on SG-1 once in a while. His assurances to Sam that they would have got what they wanted from the kids if she had flashed them rivalled with his frantic comparing of attributes between Keller and Sam. He could have easily got out of being the one to climb on top of the crates by saying that he was heavier than Sam and Keller and that since Keller had a thing with heights Sam was the logical choice, but instead he chose to point out one of his character flaws which is kind of endearing about him.

And Sam... It was great to see her back out in the field, something we haven't seen much of since her first episode as commander of Atlantis. All season there have been things that I find myself saying 'Sam should be able to take care of that' but I guess now that she's in charge of the City she has a different set of responsibilities and fixing the crisis of the day isn't really her job anymore--especially since it would take away from the acts of the original leads. Her insistance that she remain clearheaded after breaking her leg was very similar to her reaction when Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) tried to give her morphine after she was shot by a Prior's staff and the Ori were bearing down on them in the SG-1 season 10 episode (Line In the Sand), making that part of the episode classic Carter.

I could have done with some more Joe Flanigan, but the fact that he went through a meeting with a superior officer while sucking on a sour lolly pop was too funny for me to care about the fact that he disappears before the title credits even begin.