Stargate Atlantis

Underground

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 27, 2004 on Syfy

• Teyla introduces Sheppard and their team to the Genii. A peaceful race of farmers and traders. During the course of their relations Sheppard's team makes a horrific discovery of the truth behind the Genii and their motives.

Colm Meaney as Cowen makes a Guest Star appearance as the leader of the Genii. The Genii are the third in a trio of civilizations that have chosen to deal with the Wraith threat in different ways. As Teyla points out they are on the surface a peaceful people who farm and trade with others.

They are very interested to meet Sheppard and his team when after some negotiations they discover that Sheppard and his people have advanced technology capabilities. It is interesting that they recognize this so quickly. So they ask for C4 and medicine for food. Sheppard and McKay discover the truth about the Genii on their return from discussions with Dr. Weir. The Genii are developing atomic weapons in their huge underground caverns. The farmers on the surface are all a ruse to keep the underground unseen. Their "brilliant plan" is to sneak onto the Wraith ships when they are dormant and destroy them with nuclear bombs. Of course as we know now there are over fifty and maybe hundreds of these ships. Also the Genii have no way to really deliver the nukes to their targets as well. Sort of a stupid plan!

Isn't it interesting that the most advanced race is the most dangerous to everyone including themselves and their "friends". Being friends with the Genii could be seriously dangerous to your health. Unfortunately this race reminds me a lot of Earth. We have an inflated view of ourselves as well. We are omnipotent over our planet and everything upon it. Unfortunately we can't trust each other and are constantly at war and never learn from our mistakes.

McKay is easily persuaded to hand over knowledge just on the basis that the Genii stroke his ego. I don't think he ever considered the results of his actions so we will see where all this leads to in the future as I am sure our explorers will run into them again.

Very interesting set of episodes in which we learn a lot about the civilizations of the Pegasus galaxy and a lot about the humanity of ourselves. Thanks for reading...