Stargate Atlantis

Whispers

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 05, 2008 on Syfy

• Stargate meets "Resident Evil"

Previous episodes have felt like transparent homages (or blatant ripoffs) of other shows or popular genre plot devices, so it's no surprise that "SGA" finally comes around to its inevitable "zombie" installment. In fact, right from the beginning, this felt like "Stargate: Resident Evil", right down to the high female population.

I'll be honest; I find the zombie-esque subgenre to be rather boring in most cases. The plot is always the same, and it all comes down to the quality of execution. Right now, of course, zombies are all the rage, so why wouldn't the Stargate producers want to throw their brainpans in the ring? The benefit of the current status quo is that the zombie concept was easily tied to Michael's genetic experiments. Since I actually like the Michael plot thread when it appears, I was intrigued.

I was a bit annoyed at first when I noticed that Sheppard and Beckett were the only regulars. Instead, the supporting cast was populated by an all-female team. How remarkably convenient that the team to be victimized in the "horror" episode is, sure enough, a quartet of hot young women. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem to fit into the tropes of the zombie genre just a bit too snugly!

Even so, I liked the interplay between Beckett and Porter. It's always a treat to see Nicole de Boer on my screen, and I've missed her since "The Dead Zone" ended. I wonder if she'll reappear with Beckett in the future. I also liked Dusty's relative disdain for their attraction. It may have been an inside joke; Janina Gavankar played a role on "The L Word". (Yes, it's probably reading into things, but it's more fun that way!)

Visually, I thought the premise was sold well, especially after remembering the show's budget is smaller than it used to be. I liked the creature design, and the mood was well-maintained throughout the episode. Considering the fact that I'm usually not entertained by zombie stories, I was surprised to find this episode enjoyable. It's nothing more than derivative, but I suppose that made it easy to sit back and enjoy it.