Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• not a bad start

I really am starting to think start gate has gon its round and should of ended last season. but seeing as that's not the case season 9 starts out with an ok plot, just nothing great. even though the formation of the new cast was nice, nothing other then that really happened for the most part really happened in this episode

all and all its a 8 out 10 in my book
  • The Nine Year Old Show (for the most part) succeeds in rejuvenating itself.

ok, here we are year nine of stargate. who knew, right? But what to do after 8 years of Gou'ld ass kicking? First lets start with background:

The end of season 7 was both a curse and blessing for SG1. The season finale, the lost city would prove to be its finest episode to date and end that year off with a bang and singificant story momentum (we now have ancient weapons, what do we do with them now that the secret is out in a big way on earth and around the galaxy?...where IS atlantis?) It should all have been great from then on but...then it wasn't.

First off, that story momentum that season 7 ended with, in fact did exist....on Atlantis. you see, we've had two seasons of trying to find the lost city and the big reveal of finally getting there is another freakin series! thats great for the spin off since there is so much rich material there, but not so great for SG1, who had to find other stuff to focus on for the 8th year. Plus, Anubis was a great villian, leaving the other gou'lds seeming like pussies (seriously, what about baul was scary? The gotee?) Plus, we all know the Wraith could kick these posers' asses! I mean, they eat people, man!

So, SG1 was stuck in netural for the 8th year trying hard to wrap up the Gou'ld storyline without a big bad villian to vanquish (I know, Anubis came back but come on! talk about going back to the well...and the replictors? well, I never thought they were interesting and including them at the end seemed only like a convenient way to wrap shit up). Yet the end of an 8 year fight did still have an epic feel to it, even if there wasn't a real catharsis at the end. And we also did have a few great character moments in "Threads"...that were quickly ignored for a slightly amusing but insignificant time travel story, all to retrieve a ZPM to use...on another show (not that I mind that Atlantis and SG1 are interacting. At the beginning, when Daniel speaks of going on the Daedulus to Atlantis I thought "he cool, they are keeping their mythology consistent" but feeding one show at expense of another is not good)

So, season nine, where can we go? How about in a brand spanking new Direction! Yes, the show feels like it still has life in it with the departure of RDA (who I loved....for the first 6 years. He's been going through the motions for the past couple of years and looked bored) and the arrival of John Crich-I mean Cameron Mitchell. What does ben Browder do right? Everything. He treats the material seriously enough and any humor he does insert doesn't seem self referential but in the moment. Also, he inserts contagious enthusiasm...He Wants to go through the gate! He doesn't roll his eyes at saving the world again, its all new for him. This gives the other characters renewed vigor as well.

The show also makes the wise decision to eschew more gou'ld fighting and bring on a new baddie, as well as enter the world of arthurian mythology. When Mitchel found the hologram inside the underground cave it renewed a sense of aww and wonder I had when watching SG1 in the early years and wondering "hey, thats cool. I wonder where they're going with this?". Specifically it made me think back to the episode where they found Thor's hologram and how that was the beginning of such a lush mythology for the show.

Lets talk about the other new things: Vala and Daniel. What great chemistry between the two actors and the interactions between them make the trip through the gate even more interesting cause you don't know how they are going to act. By the millionth time the original four went through the gate, we all knew who would do and say what. Speaking of that, I also like Mitchell and Tea'lc's rappaport. Tea'lc looks bemused/annoyed by him while Mitchell comes off like an overeager kid trying to be a friend with one of the cooler kids. I also liked the new General played by Beau Bridges. It's fun to watch his reaction to all this stuff because it's all new to him and I don't think he buys into all of it.

But its not all good news: I like that Mitchell is already liked by the other characters so there isn't any of the "I don't like the new guy" crap. But, his "heroics" during the Antarctica fight don't seem...well, heroic. He was one of many figther pilots and the way the flashback was set up, I don't see how he greatly saved the day for everyone. Plus, if you remember, this was Hammond's big moment in season 7. HE was the man who stepped up and said "we will protect them at any cost!" (ok, he didn't say that but something like that). To go back and say "oh, yeah but Mitchell was key as well" without a proper scene to establish that he was so important, doesn't work. I also didn't like how the flashbacks were all broken up and inserted with quick cuts (quick cuts are a pet peeve of mind and also seriously hindered my enjoyment of that night's battlestar galactica). Finally, what is the point of having RDA on if he isn't going to do something substantial? His talk with the new general wasn't a great character momoment for either of the two charcters like I believe it was intended.

But all that is small stuff. I really liked this episode, despite its flaws and hopefully this is the start of something great (again)!!!
  • Its Farscape on Stargate!

I liek this new plot idea... It is a change and I like the new characters... Ben browder takes Aderson's personal as the comic interlude, and to be more precise, I liked john Crichton's wit... So... Hurrah to SG1!!!
    Though I will miss good old MacGyver and Colonel Carter!, so I hope they rejoin the show soon!

• Who knew a cast change would work out so well?

As I was watching this season premiere, I was struck by the overwhelming touch of the familiar. It wasn’t just the return of a certain energy to the storytelling. It wasn’t just the welcome return of Ben Browder and Claudia Black to my television screen. It was the feeling that I had during the eighth season of “X-Files”, when the producers sought to continue that series once David Duchovny decided he was done with the show.

Robert Patrick was brought in as a new character (John Doggett) and immediately the fandom was fractured into two warring camps: those who wanted the series to end without Duchovny, and those who wanted to see where the writers could take things with a new character in the mix. The ratings took a predictable drop, and even now, the overwhelming opinion is that it was a mistake. Yet that masks something that many fans have since discovered on their own: the final seasons of “X-Files” were hardly the universal horribleness that some Duchovny adherents insisted.

There will inevitably be those who bemoan the fact that Jack O’Neill is no longer a mainstay of the series. True, he was the heart of the team for several seasons, but it’s been a while since he’s been truly a presence. He was reduced to a few snide (often lame) comments here and there, and at times, he was visibly bored. Browder looks anything but bored, and he has an equally strong comedic pedigree. If this episode is any indication, he understands the series’ inherent mixture of the serious and self-aware absurd and plays it to the hilt. There are shades of John Crichton in Mitchell, but the characters are distinct enough to allow the familiar to inform the unique.

Vala, however, is a more troubling character. Claudia Black certainly plays the character with relish, and it’s clear that she enjoys being sexy without apology. The corseted wardrobe definitely doesn’t hurt! But she sometimes plays the character too over the top, crossing the line that her initial appearance tred so carefully. Given how serious the episode was at the beginning, Vala’s antics brought the episode back towards the hilarity a bit too quickly. It’s still a lot of fun to see Claudia again, though, and she serves the necessary purpose of driving characters who were logically growing apart back onto the team.

Speaking of that necessity, I love the fact that the team is split up when the episode begins. It would strain credibility beyond all measure for the end of the eighth season to not result in a fractured team. It’s perfect to begin with the new commander and the new general. It’s still a hard break from the old regime, but it avoids the cliché of “passing the torch”. Landry is thankfully very different from Hammond or O’Neill. I’m still not sure what I think of him, but I didn’t immediately hate his guts, so it’s a better start that I was expecting!

With all the focus on the new characters, it’s almost jarring when Daniel and Teal’c return to the story. Daniel’s involvement is perhaps more logical, thanks to his character’s relationship with Vala; Teal’c feels like he was forced into the story. Amanda’s “delicate condition” thankfully makes her return a bit more protracted, giving the writers the chance to make that a more organic process. I’m not loving Daniel’s beard, but hey, it’s better than that thing that bonded to Teal’c’s chin a few seasons back!

As for the story itself: typically half-cheesy, especially the Merlin stuff. “Stargate” has always embraced its own inherent absurdity, reveling in the fact that the whole “mythological” motif was a bit over the top at times. Yet it makes perfect sense, within the context of the series, for Merlin to have been related to the Ancients and Avalon to have a real-world meaning. It can be goofy, but that’s part of the charm (at least for me!).

This is apparently the first part of a three part premiere, which means that there’s a lot still to be revealed. The writers are taking their time with things, and hopefully, I’m not the only one willing to see what they can so with fresh blood. As much as I admit that “SG-1” has always been about a core team of people, the series has enough legs to it to bring in new cast members and still survive. Unless, of course, the fans aren’t willing to go along for the ride.
  • Surprising

I was quite surprised how good this show was, even the new actors slipped in with ease. This show has never taken itself seriously and it really showed in this episode, it was very funny and entertaining. if the rest of the season is like this then we are in for a great ride :) thumbs up!
  • ambiguous episode as to if this series will be great

Stargate has been going down hill since the middle of season 1, and this is there attempt to revive, it is still to early to tell if this shakeup will help. Browder was great in Farscape, but I have my doubts if he is up to this role. Lets see if like Anderson he can break out of his last famous roll. this episode has yet to be a truly great as most 2 parters turn out to be. This episode is ambiguous in those regards, so if the part 2 is great, then part 1 will be counted as a great. I could tell Lost City part 1 was boring from the start, but this episode is not like that.

There abrupt replacement of everyone was sort of one dimensional, I would have kept O\'Neal in as the leader for both parts, then replace him at the end with there new general. In all, one can\'t judge off this sample if this is a winner.
  • With SG-1 disbanded, Col. Cameron Mitchel, a fighter at the Antarctica incident, is put in charge of SG-1 when Vala shows up with evidence of a an Ancient "treasure" hold on Earth. With the help of Daniel and Teal'c, a hunt for the treasure ensues.

Having classified this as a pilot episode, some might find it somewhat confusing but in a sense it is kinda of a pilot to a new chapter in the show. While many were apprehensive about a 9th season encompassing so much change I looked forward to it and still do. The episode was a classic stargate ep., barring the absence of some importance characters. I enjoyed the addition of Ben Browder to the show and another appeareance by Claudia Black as Vala. If the episode had any lackings it was that it seemed to move kind of slow.

While the episode did not have a typical confluence of energy and emotions that comes with a season cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the Arthur/Ancient mythology and am anxious to seeing the new bad guys in the next episode. Overall, the episode is a great beginning of a new chapter in the stargate universe that I'm looking forward to.
  • While beginning its 9th season, Stargate SG1 tries to find new momentum by adding new characters and plots. This could be a season wide challenge.

7.8
    With season 8 wrapping up almost all the issues hanging from Ancients to Jaffa's liberation through replicators, and no big cliffhangers, this first episode of a new season looks to me pretty like the first one of a spin off serie.

Was it wise to be willing to ensure the continuity with still being attached to the SG1 point of view. Even B.B. character is almost convinces that the SG1 era is a glorious past, and that filling in the boots of Jack O'neil is an impossible task.

Avalon is indeed the first episode of a new serie, at least i think it is the best way to look at it and give it a chance to grow up in our hearts like the 1 to 8 SG1 seasons did.

About the storyline... I'm very cautious with that Arthur myth plot. There may be a continuity problem about the timeline from the return of Atlantis Ancients from the Pegasus Galaxy and them still being around in the first centuries of the christian era. That weakness would have to be covered by a hell of a good explanation from my humble point of view. The excalibur thing looked almost like somekind of atraction in some medieval theme park. I did expected a lot better from the writers.

Being the first episode of a 3 episodes arc, we will have to wait a little more to see what direction the serie is taking. But i may add the introduction of Vala as a reccurring character may be the best asset i've seen for Stargate to go beyond season 9.
  • It seems they are trying to write Crichton into the Stargate family. And Aeryn Sun is channeling Chianna.

The writing in the first episode this season seems to be a little forced. It seems like they are trying to copy and paste Michael Chrichton directly from FARSCAPE into STARGATE SG-1. It seems to me that they have not found the type of hero that Cameron is suppossed to be in the series. I will say that they have thrown in some good subtle refrences to Ben and Cladia's prior relationship. The writing also seems to have Aeryn Sun channeling Chianna. I mean the outfit alone screams wardrobe malfunction. It should be interesting on how fast they burn out the thread of her character and how long she is forced after that. Will wait for next week to finish the review.
  • After eight seasons, SG-1 (thankfully) reimagines itself!

Stargate SG-1 is probably the best show on TV. The last two seasons, however, although good could not compare with the first five seasons. We watch SG-1 to see them explore new worlds (even though many of them look suspiously like the Pacific Northwest). With the reduced workload of Richard Dean Anderson the show was increasingly anchored to Earth and the SGC. While there were some fine episodes (It's Good to Be King comes to mind) it just wasn't the same. Enter Ben Browder and Col. Mitchell. Thrown to the wolves with no team (everyone is busy elsewhere). SG-1 (minus Amanda Tapping) is spending the next several weeks exploring the Arthurian legends. While Ben Browder does look a great deal like Michael Shanks he brings an energy and wit to the show that has been lacking for the last several years. It will be interesting to see how the team comes together especially once Col. Carter returns.
  • Has potential, but after one episode they had better not spend too much time developing characters without some action.

I'm not sure what the future holds and I think the character development of the new characters lacked a little. I'll give them a chance tho - good to see some Aussie talent - Claudia Black.
    Interesting to note that Ben and Cludia came-over from Farscape when it bit the dust!.
    The plot was a little thin - but historically Robert Cooper has written some good episodes, so I look forward to see how the other writers pick-up on the characters and assist in their development.
    I am also looking forward to see how much integration of Stargate Atlantis is to come.
  • Considering Stargate has been on for 9 seasons, one would think that the formula of the series would get a bit overdrawn, yet the recent changes in the cast has openned up many new doors for the series. New vibes and new personalities have breathed new li

Storyline
    The storyline was vintage Stargate. With many of the original characters on to newer things, the newcomers have brought a new style to how the story is presented. With humor elements being provided, the new Stargate fan is happy, yet the veteran Stargate viewer is not left in the dark.

Exploring Arthurian Mythology openning up endless possibilities.

Characters
    Ben Browder plays Colonel Mitchell, the newest addition to SG-1. His persona it's self being supplement to what Colonel Jack O'neil (Richard Dean Anderson) use to be. With quick and whitty humor, and Claudia Black guest staring in the episode, the fast humor the show has become known for has been enhanced.

Physical changes in the characters is a bit of a given in the Stargate world. Yet, throughout the series the original characters still manage to grow, but still maintain their overall shell.

Overall
    Overall, the show has come off to yet another promising start. And with the possibility of the show ending this season, the producers and network may give a shot at another season. The storylines have stayed original, the cast have a great on screen chemistry, and overall the show has remained timeless.
  • Nice introduction to new (and recurring) characters as the SG-1 team is rebuilt from scratch...seemingly.

A very good introduction to the new character (Mitchell) and re-introduction to Vala (hopefully recurring - dig that cleavage!).

Lots of good back-story which doesn't come off as boring exposition.

Loved the conversation between Jack and the new General over the chess board - classic SG-1 banter!

Excellent CGI, as usual and great interplay between Mitchell, Daniel and Vala.

Excellent start to the new season.
  • Cameron Mitchell gets command of the SG1 team only it's not exactly you know... a team anymore.

They're back folks!
    Well... sorta.
    Carter is in area 51, Teal'c is making a country, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis, Jack... is Jack but somewhere else and Beau Bridges is running SGC. Damn. But the most shocking change of all is this: Daniel has a beard!!!
    A beard, Daniel? Are you trying to pull a Riker? Either way honey, you're still gorgeous! I can see why Vala wants to jump your bones so bad.
    This episode felt like a fresh start. I mean it wanted to be a fresh start but seriously... Mitchell is a complete O'Neill clone. I'm sorry... but he is. Sheppard at least came into his own towards the end of season 1 of Atlantis. I'm hoping Mitchell can find his way too. The most annoying bit of acting is when he jumped up at T'ealc shooting his gun and threw a hissy fit. For crying out loud man, you're supposed to be an army man with excellent leadership skills. I did laugh when Vala pointed out what a limited gene pool the planet has and Daniel and Mitchell looked at each other funny. HAHA! I just love it how this show knows not to take itself seriously. That's why I keep coming back honestly. Take this episode for instance. I did get bored at times, but the spirit was still there.
    What was fresh was the whole Avalon angle. I love celtic lore, Arthur's legend, the Grail, etc, etc. Vala brought a touch of mischief to the show but even I started to find her annoying at some points and now when I think about it, she's kinda of a an idiot. She didn't know about the bracelets, she opened the pots without thinking. I understand she would be rash with other people's lives but not with her own. however I believe that's just bad writing. The writers needed her rashness as an excuse for the plot to unravel. Hopefully she'll prove her worth later on. Teal'c was there but for the grace of god. He didn't do much but he's Teal'c, he doeasn't have to do anything and he'd still be cooler then most of the people on the show. Beau Bridges is a weird choice for a general, he reminds me a lot of Don S Davis, and we haven't heard an explanation why he got command of the SGC. And while we're on the subject of commanding and stuff, are they turning the chevron guy into a sci-fi Radar? They even have the same name: "Walter".
    Funniest line of the week:
    "I haven't been this disappointed since I had sex with Daniel."
    Man, I'm sick of cliffhangers! This wasn't the best episode ever but it did it's job ok. Mitchell, for all his faults, I could understand where he was coming from. The new angle is appealing to me so overall, I'd giver this episode a 8 out of 10.
    Make that 8,5 cause Shanks seems to have lost the tummy he had in season 8! YAY!
  • Overall a poor start to an astounding Nineth season I only hope things get better, I would hate for them to go the way side and join the likes of X-files. Fingers crossed for future episodes

Although Im an avid fan of the show I came away wanting. There was no real link with the end of the previous season, no obvious lead out for Jack. Mr Bridges -although a seasoned actor- gave little to the character in this first episode, you only have to look at the previous commanders to see he has along way to go to build into this role. Ben Browder again comes across great an excellent choice for the new leader of SG1 but his character again is very similar to Jack's I hope this does not effect the overall feel of the show.

• A New Team is Formed.

Dr. Jackson, And Teal'c are still on the team it would seem and taking the places of the Sam Jack are former Farscape stars Ben Browder (Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Cladia Black (Vala).

I know Ben & Cladia are both amazing actors that will bring great life to this show.

I forsee good things to come.
  • Well done! This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue).

This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue). Considering this, I think the writers did a magnificent job introducing Mitchell. The beginning where he is trying and trying and trying to get the old team together is amusing and frankly I would have tried to do the same thing.

The reunion with Vala was particularly amusing and perfect for the new team formula although I hope that Vala is not over-used in that her banter could get repetitive quickly. Her outrageous comment on making babies had me ROFL.

All in all, excellent job considering prolly all of us WANT JACK BACK!
  • A new beginning - where will it go

Since I am not allowed to post a recap, I have to stick with a review. I think, someone should write a recap soon - I like to read last episodes recap before watching the next.

So season 9 of Stargate starts and it starts off with a two or three part episode, which is why I maked this episode as "Pilot Episode". Also, the SG-1 Team as we know is gone - the Characters are all busy outside the SGC.

The story in short:
    Colonel Mitchel (Ben Browder, Farscape) who fought the battle over Antarctica to protect SG-1 in finding the way to Atlantis (that was one season ago) applies to the SGC as leader of SG-1 only to realize, that SG-1 has to be rebuilt from scratch. He tries to contact each former member, but they all refuse to come back. This is a nice move since one also gets filled in what happened since last season. Teal'c is doing politics, O'Neill is retired, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis and Carter works in the science labs.
    Before he can set up a new team, Daniel gets a visit from Vala (Claudia Black, Farscape) who is on a treasure hunt. She also drags Daniel into it by using a Gou'ald bonding device that leaves them unseperable. Teal'c comes to help Daniel but can't do much but identify the device. Since Vala insists on it - and she has the only means of releasing the bond - they decide to go on that treasure hunt.
    The tablet which is the "trasure map" points to the Avalon myth around King Arthur and Merlin (which are thought to be Ancients or almost-acended humans). The team uses new technology to uncover a hidden cave and use a ring device to get in. There they are greeted by a hologram of Merlin and the famous "Sword in a Rock". Of course they are told to prove that they are worthy and sincere and shortly after that, they find themselves in the inadvertedly collapsing room with a riddle...

Now while the second part of the story is not quite new (ancient holograms, hidden caves, riddles), the point of the episode is rather to introduce new characters and this worked out nicely. Maybe it is because I know them from Farscape, but I just liked them both from the start. Colonel Mitchell is refreshingly different from O'Neill but still has a good sense of humour. I expect the team going on that treasure hunt to be the new SG-1 team, although it may be possible that this is not completely true. Vala would be a very complicated member of the crew and give much opportunity towards change. Teal'c has a position as a leader of his people - how will he combine these duties with going on missions again? I guess he'll have to decide.
  • A terrible bombardment of rushedness

6.9
    Stargate SG-1 is possibly one of the best sci-fi shows ever, as far as im concerned. But this episode i felt, tried too hard.

I realise they're introducing all these new charachters, and its been refrenced that this is in a way, a pilot episode for a new type of stargate. But there was something about this episode, and indeed possibly the next few, that feel slightly off.

I was never a fan of farscape, so the two new farscape actors don't annoy me. I think it tried to hard to get through so much, and introduced too many new things while bombarding us with flashbacks of how Cameron Mitchell ties in with SG1's past.

The disbandment of SG1 as well, how each charachter seemed to be going off on there own, was sad. It made me kinda angry. Another thing that felt weird was the introduction of this King Arthur stuff. I don't get it.

The introduction of Vala, while she stuck true to her charachter on that episode last season, it just felt weird that she would prance in and do all this stuff.

Is the audience missing a whole heap of backstory? i reckon so. the whole thing was rushed, and a to be continued made me go "eh".

Maybe im just a stickler for change, i guess we'll see how it turns out in the upcoming episodes.

Still its better than reality shows. ;)
  • It's a promising start.

This episode marks the first episode where Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) is not a regular. I'm going to miss him. Anyway the new characters, General Landry and Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell, seem okay. Landry kind of reminds me of General Hammond, the SGC's commanding officer from Seasons 1-7. Mitchell is very witty, but he's not as funny as O'Neill. To more positive things, the second appearance of Vala. Yeah! She's still scares Daniel and she's still infatuated with him. She's still also funny. She also makes jokes about her having relations with Daniel, which didn't happen because it didn't happen on "Prometheus Unbound".Vala is going to appear in several episodes of this season. If there's a 10th Season, I think Vala should become a regular. I'd love to see her interaction with Daniel. Another nitpick I guess, Vala uses the term "make babies", which I'm not sure extraterrestrial humans would use. So long Richard Dean Anderson. I hope you enjoy spending time with your daughter.
  • Probobly the best show on the air

7.7
    This opening episode wasn't good enough episode to start a new beginning in new season. First of all, there's that feeleng that a big and important part of story is just missing. All the action in my opinion is just going too fast, with parts of the story just missing, besides, what's with all those cheap jokes from new faces! Not kinda the first impression you wanna make in the show like this!!
    Still - this is the best show on air!!!
  • A new season and a whole host of new Characters.

They have to have us get to know all these new characters somehow before they can really go places. So Starting with Earth not that bad a thing. Episode starts out with Col Cameron Mitchel (Ben Browder) meeting General Landry (Beau Bridges) and given control of SG-1 to find out that no one from the original SG-1 team will be on the team any longer and he gets to pick a new team. Mitchel goes to all of the old team (Teal'c, Dr Jackson and Lt Col Carter) and asks all of them to come back to no avail.
    Then Vala (Claudia Black) comes through the Stargate with SG-12 and things get interesting.
    I have to admit with the addition of Black and Browder my interest in this series is renewed. It is so nice to see the old Farscape comrades. I think this group will work out well. Let's see where they can take us.
  • I felt that the Arthurian Mythology tie-in with the Ancients seemed tacked on and rushed...

...But that didn't stop the 9th season from getting off to a good start. The introduction of Ben Browder as Cameron Mitchell felt seamless and natural, and he came across as if he's been on the show since the beginning. However, his interaction with the fragmented SG-1 team lacked chemistry, though understandable since Cameron is the new guy on the block.

It's always a joy to see Claudia Black onscreen...Especially as Vala. She's no doubt having a lot of fun with that character. What's great about her is that she has great chemistry with everyone, including her brief scenes with Landry. And I couldn't help but smile seeing Black and Browder onscreen together again.

As for the rest of the episode, it started off slow, but picked up nicely in the last half hour. Here's hoping that next week's episode gives a nice pay off.
  • Stargate\'s first foray into Arthurian mythology starts off mysteriously.

Michael Shanks did not mince his words when he mentioned that the ninth season would be akin to starting over. With new cast to replace some and supplement other old ones, one would expect a completely different dynamic from what was seen in the first eight seasons of the episode. This marks the debut of Browder and Bridges into the realm of Stargate. These, combined with the fact that this is the first of a trilogy indicates that first episode of the ninth season is nothing short of a pilot with a strong emphasis on character development, especially that of Colonel Mitchell played by Ben Browder and Vala played by Claudia Black.

With the most of the Gao’uld killed or defeated and the remaining hiding, one is left pondering over the storyline of the ninth season. In keeping with its tradition that implies all mythology is true with a strong alien influence, this episode gives a draws a connection between realm of Arthurian mythology and the Ancients. The adventure starts off with Browder being incorporated as an integral part of stargate even before. When Vala forces Daniel Jackson to miss the trip to Atlantis on board the Daedalus, he is forced to help her translate a coded Ancient scroll to find what Vala believes, is a source to buried treasure.

Claudia Black is charming as usual and keeps up the traditional sci-fi humor. Ben Browder successfully teams up with Black again and there is even a smart reference to their previous involvement in the hit Sci-Fi series, Farscape. On the whole, it seems that season nine has got off to a good, but mysterious start. However, only time will tell if the cast comes together as well as they did in the previous eight seasons.
  • A promising start.

SG-1 is off to a promising start. I'm glad they didn't just thrust Browder's and Bridges' characters right into missions, they need to bring them along so fans can get used to them. I do think they should tone down Bridges' character, he seems to over the top and I hope they're not trying to make Browder's character into a younger Jack. Given time, I'm sure this cast will come together, but it's hard coming into a show that's had the success that SG-1 has had and winning over it's fan base overnight.
1 2 >