Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• New Team of SG-1

I love this episode! Daniel missed the schuduled trip to Atlantis! I love new team of SG-1, really! Cameron and Vala are new casting of SG-1 show. But Cameron is being major cast of Season nine, not Vala. Vala is not yet casted major until season ten. Vala is return as recurriling role for first straight six episodes. We learned that in real life, Amanda Tapping was pregnant on maternity leave for few months. Vala is temportary replaced for her until Amanda return back. Anyway, Vala used Daniel for getting her own treasure. But, Vala didn't get her treasure, Daniel won't allow it.! I love this episode and watched it lot!
  • What a wonderful episode.

I think everyone was sceptical as to what season 9 would be like due to Richard Dean Anderson leaving the show. But i have to say that i think this episode was fantastic and Ben Browder gave as good of a proformance as RDA. The way this episode was written was almost like a pilot the show is now going in a completely new direction, and whats more i like it. Now that they have added not only Cam but also Landry and Vala. All these new people are helping to make the show seem new a fresh. I think that this new direction and Crusade story was just what Stargate SG1 needed. I really hope Browder grows on people because this was fantastic.
  • Well being a Farscape fan I may be a bit bias.

Well being a Farscape fan I may be a bit bias. But Ben's and Claudia's wacky Farscape style returns to bring life back in the old girl. Frankly, when I heard Ben was gonna lead the team in the new season I know that flow of stories and character interaction is goning have a nice change.

My first blog post so I meant as well repeat it here:

Some stuff I notice which I thought was interesting:

Ben, "Or you could just marry that chick."
    Claudia, "Yeah. Lets make babies."

Joke on farscape when both his adn Claudia had the some hate/love relationship and ended up marrying each other and having a child. Oh Michael your wife is so gonna kill you.

Claudia, "Can you see what's in there? Let's say large piles of preicous metals?"

Michael then yanks her back by her throat strap (that thing is part of her trench coat i see) in which you can actually hear her choke. The actress eyeballs him and he apologetically give her left shoulder a squeeze. Must have been unintentionally but the director kept it in.

Character developement for Claudia's Vala seems interesting as Michael, "...especially once it gets to know you." Claudia give that 'why you say mean things about me look'.

Christopher manages to stop the stone slab from closing them in room twice for 1/2 a sec each time!

Ben, "Whoah whoah! Bullets bounch!"

True if that was not sandstone or limestone but Christopher firing directly at the door standing next to Ben still is worrying. Not mention that grin he gave Ben 'haha made ya wet your pants'.
  • Considering Stargate has been on for 9 seasons, one would think that the formula of the series would get a bit overdrawn, yet the recent changes in the cast has openned up many new doors for the series. New vibes and new personalities have breathed new li

Storyline
    The storyline was vintage Stargate. With many of the original characters on to newer things, the newcomers have brought a new style to how the story is presented. With humor elements being provided, the new Stargate fan is happy, yet the veteran Stargate viewer is not left in the dark.

Exploring Arthurian Mythology openning up endless possibilities.

Characters
    Ben Browder plays Colonel Mitchell, the newest addition to SG-1. His persona it's self being supplement to what Colonel Jack O'neil (Richard Dean Anderson) use to be. With quick and whitty humor, and Claudia Black guest staring in the episode, the fast humor the show has become known for has been enhanced.

Physical changes in the characters is a bit of a given in the Stargate world. Yet, throughout the series the original characters still manage to grow, but still maintain their overall shell.

Overall
    Overall, the show has come off to yet another promising start. And with the possibility of the show ending this season, the producers and network may give a shot at another season. The storylines have stayed original, the cast have a great on screen chemistry, and overall the show has remained timeless.
  • A New Team is Formed.

Dr. Jackson, And Teal'c are still on the team it would seem and taking the places of the Sam Jack are former Farscape stars Ben Browder (Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Cladia Black (Vala).

I know Ben & Cladia are both amazing actors that will bring great life to this show.

I forsee good things to come.
  • There's a new leader of SG-1 and he wants to get the original SG-1 back together.

I thought Mitchell was a great choice to take over for SG-1. He's got a similar attitude that O'Neill had. I was pretty show that everyone would get back together, but I was sorry to see that Carter wasn't there with them.

I think Vala's character was a good idea. She brings a lot of laughter to the show. Not only that, but her and Daniel make a great looking couple.

I don't know about General Landry though. I don't mind his character that much, but for some reason I don't think he acts enough like a General. I'm comparing him to General Hammond and O'Neill. Landry wasn't a bad choice, but I think they could've done better.
  • The beggining of the 'New SG1'....

i think that alot of fans felt that after richard dean anderson left that series was going to be very different, and it was. i like this episode because it makes sg1 doing what they used to do, explore. the episode was almost like a pilot episode for a new sg1. i like the story of merlin the magician, and the team having to explore in avaon treasur.the team didn't learn about the Ori until the third episode of the season although they were in the second episode briefly at the end. i like how the writers left a little gap betwwen the goa'uld and the ori.later.
  • the new gut is hot...wanna hear more then read on

Despite my disappiontment that it doesn't seem jack and sam are gonna get together i hadn't watched other eps with this mitchell guy in it but he is a hottie i must say. This was a good ep to satrt off with and as they have soo often proved to us they can get better
  • Bring on Ben Browder! and of Course Claudia Black. What a team these two make though it's hard to see her with anyone else, Daniel is a wonderful choice! Kudos to some of the most talented writers I've had the pleasure to critique.

It should be known that this particular episode is the one that brought me into the SG-1 fold. I hadn't paid the series much attention and barely nodded at the movie until the stroke of genius that brought John Creighton into Cheyenne Mountain occurred. I'd been a fan of Farscape and never known that Claudia Black had been a guest on SG-1 until I heard the words that now ring in my head occasionally, "Now... where's my Daniel?" This ep began an intensive four month emersion into the world after obtaining a Stargagte, and I am proud and happy to say I am no longer capable of imaging a world without one. I own eight seasons on DVD and will eventually purchase each and ever successive season. (Okay I'm a B-5er too but they charge way too much for those DVD's). Nuff said about that.

Thank you, ever so talented writing staff for NOT making Mitchell disliked or distrusted by the team members. Thank you for making him someone they liked in general and could easily fold into their own "little family" (love the 'movie night' allusion... the season's over if you haven't guessed that by now) Thank you for making him someone who's eager to explore other worlds and with the innocence of a child and experience of a seasoned warrior someone who can be observed with a fresh eye while learning both about intergalactic threats as well as whatever he wasn't able to learn by being sequestered on EArth. Would that we were all so lucky... In some of the additional stuff DVD sets interviewers have asked the question "If there was a real Stargate would you go through it?" That answer is a resounding YES! A thousand times YES. and even after the continually and surprisingly fresh episodes that comprise the eight seasons prior I'm astounded and delighted that the writers haven't lost the knack... I mean after all... there are so many galaxies and if you want to get into it, in all reality... so many universes left to explore... and so many villains left to unearth... I can't wait!

Bring 'em on!
  • SG-1 gets a much needed rejuvination.

As much as I love this show, I was fearing that it was starting to get into a rut the last couple of years. Aside from Daniel/Jonas switch and killing off Fraiser, it was mostly the same core cast and it seemed that some of the initial excitement of the show had died.
    So leave it to the producers to come up a brilliant way to rejuvinate it. Browder is perfect as Mitchell and while he may come off as a lighter version of O'Neill at first, he's starting to stretch, wanting to show his stuff as a leader and killing him he doesn't have the team to do it with. The scene of Mitchell interviewing possible replacements was hilarious.

And speaking of hilarious, Claudia Black unleashes the comedic timing she'd kept mostly hidden on "Farscape." In typical Stargate style, they get the obvious in-joke out of the way fast when Browder and Black meet "We haven't met before...I"d have remembered") and Black's calling on the similarity between Mitchell and Daniel was a great shout-out to fans.

Also good was the addition of Beau Bridges as Landry as we quickly see that unlike Hammond, he's rather impatient putting up with Daniel's rambling explanations and that he and MItchell seem to instantly respect each other is fun to watch. I can already tell Bridges is going to make this season fun.

Tackling the Arthur legend was probably invevitable and promises some fun with Mitchell and the sword. And the linking of Vara and Daniel indicates that every scene of them together is going to be great to watch.

Overall, a great premire that kicks off a new status quo for the series and makes it more 'need to watch' then it's been in years. Stargate still has some life left in it, which is good news for all sci-fi.
  • Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchel becomes the new team leader of SG-1. He's determined to get Carter, Teal'c and Jackson back together on the team as they've all gone their separate ways.

Cameron Mitchel is an awesome addition to Stargate SG-1. Here we have a guy who's a little like a younger version of O'Neill. Same snappy attitude like O'Neill that made the early episodes of Stargate SG-1 so great. That's one of the reasons this episode really works. We also get a glimpse into Mitchel's past which reveals he was one of the X-302 fighter pilots who was defending SG-1 as they discovered the Ancients' weapon in Antarctica while Anubis' fleet was attacking. My only real criticism of this episode is the fact that O'Neill is suddenly no longer the head of the SGC. If the producers of Stargate SG-1 had seriously tried to get Richard Dean Anderson who plays O'Neill to stay as part of the main cast instead replacing him with Beau Bridges who plays General Landry this episode in my books would be a ten. In my opinion Beau Bridges is a less than average actor who got lucky landing a role on Stargate SG-1. Stargate SG-1 lost some of its brilliance by adding Beau Bridges to the cast. Seasons nine and ten would have been so much better had they kept O'Neill as the head of the SGC. Richard Dean Anderson was one of the main contributing factors that led the show to its long run. And the show's run could have been longer with Richard Dean Anderson still around as a main cast member instead of only guest starring once in a blue moon. Richard Dean Anderson is recognizable and therefore O'Neill is likable. Who is Beau Bridges really? Otherwise the story arc that starts in this episode builds to an incredible adventure which I'm sure most people would agree.
  • alright...

as many of you know ricard dean anderson left the show, which sucks. We are also introduced to a couple of new characters. Ben Browder as colonel mitchell comes and is the new leader of sg1. Beau Bridges plays general hank landry and takes over the SGC. Alot has changed tealc has left the sgc so has colonel carter. Daniel jackson is going to atlantis. But he unfortuatley misses his trip and doesnt go. tealc comes back for another mission and now sg1 is doing what they do best, explore. This episode leaves you with a cliff hanger which I'm not going to talk about. Many people say that it is a different show and it is. it will never be the way it was. But I still like it. Later...
  • Well done! This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue).

This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue). Considering this, I think the writers did a magnificent job introducing Mitchell. The beginning where he is trying and trying and trying to get the old team together is amusing and frankly I would have tried to do the same thing.

The reunion with Vala was particularly amusing and perfect for the new team formula although I hope that Vala is not over-used in that her banter could get repetitive quickly. Her outrageous comment on making babies had me ROFL.

All in all, excellent job considering prolly all of us WANT JACK BACK!
  • Its Farscape on Stargate!

I liek this new plot idea... It is a change and I like the new characters... Ben browder takes Aderson's personal as the comic interlude, and to be more precise, I liked john Crichton's wit... So... Hurrah to SG1!!!
    Though I will miss good old MacGyver and Colonel Carter!, so I hope they rejoin the show soon!

• A new beginning - where will it go

Since I am not allowed to post a recap, I have to stick with a review. I think, someone should write a recap soon - I like to read last episodes recap before watching the next.

So season 9 of Stargate starts and it starts off with a two or three part episode, which is why I maked this episode as "Pilot Episode". Also, the SG-1 Team as we know is gone - the Characters are all busy outside the SGC.

The story in short:
    Colonel Mitchel (Ben Browder, Farscape) who fought the battle over Antarctica to protect SG-1 in finding the way to Atlantis (that was one season ago) applies to the SGC as leader of SG-1 only to realize, that SG-1 has to be rebuilt from scratch. He tries to contact each former member, but they all refuse to come back. This is a nice move since one also gets filled in what happened since last season. Teal'c is doing politics, O'Neill is retired, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis and Carter works in the science labs.
    Before he can set up a new team, Daniel gets a visit from Vala (Claudia Black, Farscape) who is on a treasure hunt. She also drags Daniel into it by using a Gou'ald bonding device that leaves them unseperable. Teal'c comes to help Daniel but can't do much but identify the device. Since Vala insists on it - and she has the only means of releasing the bond - they decide to go on that treasure hunt.
    The tablet which is the "trasure map" points to the Avalon myth around King Arthur and Merlin (which are thought to be Ancients or almost-acended humans). The team uses new technology to uncover a hidden cave and use a ring device to get in. There they are greeted by a hologram of Merlin and the famous "Sword in a Rock". Of course they are told to prove that they are worthy and sincere and shortly after that, they find themselves in the inadvertedly collapsing room with a riddle...

Now while the second part of the story is not quite new (ancient holograms, hidden caves, riddles), the point of the episode is rather to introduce new characters and this worked out nicely. Maybe it is because I know them from Farscape, but I just liked them both from the start. Colonel Mitchell is refreshingly different from O'Neill but still has a good sense of humour. I expect the team going on that treasure hunt to be the new SG-1 team, although it may be possible that this is not completely true. Vala would be a very complicated member of the crew and give much opportunity towards change. Teal'c has a position as a leader of his people - how will he combine these duties with going on missions again? I guess he'll have to decide.
  • After eight seasons, SG-1 (thankfully) reimagines itself!

Stargate SG-1 is probably the best show on TV. The last two seasons, however, although good could not compare with the first five seasons. We watch SG-1 to see them explore new worlds (even though many of them look suspiously like the Pacific Northwest). With the reduced workload of Richard Dean Anderson the show was increasingly anchored to Earth and the SGC. While there were some fine episodes (It's Good to Be King comes to mind) it just wasn't the same. Enter Ben Browder and Col. Mitchell. Thrown to the wolves with no team (everyone is busy elsewhere). SG-1 (minus Amanda Tapping) is spending the next several weeks exploring the Arthurian legends. While Ben Browder does look a great deal like Michael Shanks he brings an energy and wit to the show that has been lacking for the last several years. It will be interesting to see how the team comes together especially once Col. Carter returns.
  • Plenty of stars in this show.

The lead actor and actress from the Farscape science fiction channel series were both in this episode.

It was really good.

There is a nice story arc, allegory as it were, back to Avalon of King Arthur's day. You will have to watch it to see what characters that involves.

Daniel gets ample opportunity to pout this episode as he gains a really unwelcome "ball and chain". It is kind of funny to watch him and his new partner's little spats. They do not seem to get along so well. Difference values.

This episode had a very full compliment of top science fiction actors in it. Combined with appearances of the regular cast, it is quite enjoyable. Story is good too.
  • A very good episode and a great seaon opener.

That was a very good episode of Stargate SG-1. Some old faces are less important and not as central, Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill. Some old faces are still there and very important, Teal'c and Daniel Jackson. There are new central figures, Mitchell, who is in charge of SGC, and Vala (not her first appearance but still fairly new). The plot is very good and it's a great cliffhanger at the end. There is a lot of humor with Vala around. That's important because some of the episode is all serious and then it's funny because of a random comment (normally from Vala). This show was top notch and so was the continuation. I really hope that there are a lot more episodes with Vala in the future. This show was definetly a 9.2.
  • Surprising

I was quite surprised how good this show was, even the new actors slipped in with ease. This show has never taken itself seriously and it really showed in this episode, it was very funny and entertaining. if the rest of the season is like this then we are in for a great ride :) thumbs up!
  • It's a promising start.

This episode marks the first episode where Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) is not a regular. I'm going to miss him. Anyway the new characters, General Landry and Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell, seem okay. Landry kind of reminds me of General Hammond, the SGC's commanding officer from Seasons 1-7. Mitchell is very witty, but he's not as funny as O'Neill. To more positive things, the second appearance of Vala. Yeah! She's still scares Daniel and she's still infatuated with him. She's still also funny. She also makes jokes about her having relations with Daniel, which didn't happen because it didn't happen on "Prometheus Unbound".Vala is going to appear in several episodes of this season. If there's a 10th Season, I think Vala should become a regular. I'd love to see her interaction with Daniel. Another nitpick I guess, Vala uses the term "make babies", which I'm not sure extraterrestrial humans would use. So long Richard Dean Anderson. I hope you enjoy spending time with your daughter.
  • Colonel Mitchell comes to lead SG-1 while Vala Mal Doran comes back for Daniel.

Cameron Mitchell, a hero of season 7, is rewarded with any job he’d like so he chooses to become Jack’s successor as the new SG-1 leader only to find out the team has been disbanded and he must now pick a new one from scratch, determined to get the original guys he receives unexpected help from season 8’s Vala Mal Doran, who has come to steal Daniel away from what I believe should be his third attempt to go to Atlantis. Mitchell is thrilled once that Vala grounds not only Dr. Jackson but Teal’c as well, because of some old Jaffa bracelets that link her to Daniel in such a way they would die if separated. Intrigued by this development – and the odd familiarity in which they treat one another - Teal’c decides to join them in the search of a treasure Vala claims to have brought her to SGC. Onboard Prometheus, Vala and Daniel reminiscence their fist fight the day they first met while Mitchell tries to find his place as leader as well as an angle to convince the team to remain together, however, by the time they arrive it becomes clear this may not be a possibility, especially when they’re caught in a trap that may crush them alive.
  • The return of Classic Stargate

To me, seasons seven and eight felt like the television equivilant of New Coke; someone, somewhere thought it was a great idea, but it sucked on so many levels. With Anderson less and less interested in the show and the terrible shippy scenes TPTB set up between Jack and Sam, the storylines became increasing trite and ship-driven. There was little chemistry between Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson, and Anderson looked increasingly bored.

Which is why I LOVED Avalon. Anderson's character Jack O'Neill is gone, replaced by Ben Browder as Cameron Mitchell. Tapping is on maternity leave, replaced by Claudia Black as Vala Mal Doran.

And so TPTB realise that New Coke sucks, and brought back Classic Coke. The chemistry between Vala, Daniel, Cameron and Teal'c remind me of the early days of SG1, and runs circles around the tired, trite, try-hard chemistry between Jack and Sam. So far, Teal'c seems to have something to do, and watching Daniel and Vala spar is invigorating after two years of sappy, trite dialogue between Jack and Sam.

I really enjoyed Avalon, and the way they're introducing the origins of Celtic mythology into the series. (Incidentally, the Nox Anteaus was named after a Greek God; was that meant to be another connection to ancient culture?). While they didn't actually go offworld, there was enough alien technology and intrigue that it didn't matter.

In one episode, SG1 has intrigued me more then most of the last two years did. I hope to see more of the same.
  • Slow start

With a slow start to the episode, and an excessive emphasis on quite how much of a hero Mitchell is and how much SG-1 owes him, for a short while there it did seem that concerns would be justified. Ben Browder's take on Mitchell luckily gives the character a different perspective. Watch the flashback scenes alone and you see a pilot who almost sacrificed himself to save SG-1, was showered with effusive praise by all and sundry, and was given a medal so rarely presented that none of SG-1 have received it despite saving the planet several times.
  • An excellent start to what will be a great season!

Finally, Stargate has returned. I have eagerly awaited the season premier of season 9, and I was not let down. True, the episode started off slow. It was a bit tiresome to have Ben Browder (Mitchell) running around to all the members of SG-1, saying "Come back! I joined for you." Finnaly however, Claudia Black (Vala) makes her return. Now the pieces start to fall into place. She cleverly traps Daninel Jackson into helping her to find a great treasure, which turns out to be right on Earth. TO make matters better, it is tied to the Authorian legend. To find that Merlin is an Ancient is awesome. Now I'll admit, I am very new to SG-1, so I'm not completly up to speed on the ancients, but from what I know, Merlin fits the role perfectly. Next...a review of part 2.
  • With SG-1 disbanded, Col. Cameron Mitchel, a fighter at the Antarctica incident, is put in charge of SG-1 when Vala shows up with evidence of a an Ancient "treasure" hold on Earth. With the help of Daniel and Teal'c, a hunt for the treasure ensues.

Having classified this as a pilot episode, some might find it somewhat confusing but in a sense it is kinda of a pilot to a new chapter in the show. While many were apprehensive about a 9th season encompassing so much change I looked forward to it and still do. The episode was a classic stargate ep., barring the absence of some importance characters. I enjoyed the addition of Ben Browder to the show and another appeareance by Claudia Black as Vala. If the episode had any lackings it was that it seemed to move kind of slow.

While the episode did not have a typical confluence of energy and emotions that comes with a season cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the Arthur/Ancient mythology and am anxious to seeing the new bad guys in the next episode. Overall, the episode is a great beginning of a new chapter in the stargate universe that I'm looking forward to.
  • Nice introduction to new (and recurring) characters as the SG-1 team is rebuilt from scratch...seemingly.

A very good introduction to the new character (Mitchell) and re-introduction to Vala (hopefully recurring - dig that cleavage!).

Lots of good back-story which doesn't come off as boring exposition.

Loved the conversation between Jack and the new General over the chess board - classic SG-1 banter!

Excellent CGI, as usual and great interplay between Mitchell, Daniel and Vala.

Excellent start to the new season.
  • A new season and a whole host of new Characters.

They have to have us get to know all these new characters somehow before they can really go places. So Starting with Earth not that bad a thing. Episode starts out with Col Cameron Mitchel (Ben Browder) meeting General Landry (Beau Bridges) and given control of SG-1 to find out that no one from the original SG-1 team will be on the team any longer and he gets to pick a new team. Mitchel goes to all of the old team (Teal'c, Dr Jackson and Lt Col Carter) and asks all of them to come back to no avail.
    Then Vala (Claudia Black) comes through the Stargate with SG-12 and things get interesting.
    I have to admit with the addition of Black and Browder my interest in this series is renewed. It is so nice to see the old Farscape comrades. I think this group will work out well. Let's see where they can take us.
  • I learned at the end of season eight that General O'Neil was really leaving the show. I thought for sure going into season nine that this was the end of Stargate.

Boy was I ever wrong and glad to be wrong. First off they announced that Ben Browder is joining the show, not as a guest star but as one of the main stars. This to me was truly a wonderful idea. Ben was always such a smartass on the Farscape series and that was just what SG-1 needed. Of course seeing Claudia BLack back on the screen again as well was a worthwhile idea and I hope Vala plays a bigger role in more episodes.

The first Avalon episode starts off with everyone from the SG-1 team breaking off from one another and Ben Browders character Mitchell coming in to form a new SG-1 team. The problem is Mitchell wants to keep the old team intact minus of course Jack O'Neil whom he is taking the place of.

We learn who Mitchell is through flasbacks, how he fought during the race to find Atlantis. Mitchell is instantly a likable character and a strong one as well. As the episode goes on we learn that Daniel Jackson is going to Atlantis (to see more about this go to the SG-Atlantis boards). We also learn that Samantha Carter is off working on other things and that Teal'c is trying to become the leader of the freed Jaffa. Thus all of them are leaving Stargate Command.

Just when we think all hope is up the first Avalon picks up all of these things and takes us on a diffrent way. We know that the System Lords are all shattered and that their day is past. The Replicators are gone as well. SO what is left for the goodguys at SGC to fight? We don't know.

Avalon Part 1 sets us on a new course though. Vala arrives at SGC and she connects herself to Daniel so that she can find out some secrets about a stash of riches on earth. This turns out to be Avalon and it turns out that the ancients had two diffrent factions, one that broke off from them. I am getting ahead here though.

The episode ends with the four of them trapped in two seperate rooms and the new adventure for a new group just beginning. . .
  • Whole new story..

As last episode wrapped everything so together, it is almost like a whole new serie, whole new story. And quite exciting I most say.

Many new chars. First new leader - he really looks much more free than Hammond ever was - more that kind of big joke.

Then of course Mitchell - he looks quite ok but I am not too impressed.

And then Vala - I really hope she stays as even if she looks sometimes so silly and makes those stupid comments, she has somekind of refreshment to the show. And she really worked well.

On the storyline - it looks like now Arthurian legends are picked up as we start with sword on stone. All the treasure hunting is really promising. Cannot wait.
  • Boy I'm confused!

Boy, is this season different than normal. It's speeding along already in the first episode & I'm not following as well as usual.

I hope that that this season get better or I might not keep watching. What am I saying, of course I'll watch anyway. I own the first 8 seasons on DVD.
< 1 2