Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• A new "Classification" is needed: Why I Stopped Watching This Series.

But "Jump the Shark" will have to do. Although "Painful to watch" and "Bottom of the barrel" also fit here.

My main beef is with the choice of Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell taking over as head of SG-1. He is a totally wooden character who makes Joe Friday of Dragnet look like a Party Animal!

If a four member team was really needed, Stargate SG-1 had a ready made character to take Jack O'Neill's place as the new leader of SG-1. Colonel Dave Dixon (Adam Baldwin) from "Heroes Part 1" proved to be a very O'Neillish character type who would have meshed well with the rest of the team.

I also found it conniving, if not insulting, to conveniently "rewrite" events to suddenly make Mitchell a hero who led a squadron in engaging Anubis's forces and protecting SG-1 in the battle over Antarctica, losing his co-pilot, being shot down, but successfully destroyed an Al'kesh that helped SG-1 succeed with their mission.

This was in actuality done by Master Bra'tac and General Hammond in the Prometheus. Sure a squadron of F-302s did help (shades of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) but Mitchell (who does he think he is, Luke Skywalker?) was never acknowledged.

To me the only redeeming quality of this episode was the return of Vala. She's always good for a few laughs.
  • A promising start.

SG-1 is off to a promising start. I'm glad they didn't just thrust Browder's and Bridges' characters right into missions, they need to bring them along so fans can get used to them. I do think they should tone down Bridges' character, he seems to over the top and I hope they're not trying to make Browder's character into a younger Jack. Given time, I'm sure this cast will come together, but it's hard coming into a show that's had the success that SG-1 has had and winning over it's fan base overnight.
  • Probobly the best show on the air

7.7
    This opening episode wasn't good enough episode to start a new beginning in new season. First of all, there's that feeleng that a big and important part of story is just missing. All the action in my opinion is just going too fast, with parts of the story just missing, besides, what's with all those cheap jokes from new faces! Not kinda the first impression you wanna make in the show like this!!
    Still - this is the best show on air!!!
  • ambiguous episode as to if this series will be great

Stargate has been going down hill since the middle of season 1, and this is there attempt to revive, it is still to early to tell if this shakeup will help. Browder was great in Farscape, but I have my doubts if he is up to this role. Lets see if like Anderson he can break out of his last famous roll. this episode has yet to be a truly great as most 2 parters turn out to be. This episode is ambiguous in those regards, so if the part 2 is great, then part 1 will be counted as a great. I could tell Lost City part 1 was boring from the start, but this episode is not like that.

There abrupt replacement of everyone was sort of one dimensional, I would have kept O\'Neal in as the leader for both parts, then replace him at the end with there new general. In all, one can\'t judge off this sample if this is a winner.
  • Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchel becomes the new team leader of SG-1. He's determined to get Carter, Teal'c and Jackson back together on the team as they've all gone their separate ways.

Cameron Mitchel is an awesome addition to Stargate SG-1. Here we have a guy who's a little like a younger version of O'Neill. Same snappy attitude like O'Neill that made the early episodes of Stargate SG-1 so great. That's one of the reasons this episode really works. We also get a glimpse into Mitchel's past which reveals he was one of the X-302 fighter pilots who was defending SG-1 as they discovered the Ancients' weapon in Antarctica while Anubis' fleet was attacking. My only real criticism of this episode is the fact that O'Neill is suddenly no longer the head of the SGC. If the producers of Stargate SG-1 had seriously tried to get Richard Dean Anderson who plays O'Neill to stay as part of the main cast instead replacing him with Beau Bridges who plays General Landry this episode in my books would be a ten. In my opinion Beau Bridges is a less than average actor who got lucky landing a role on Stargate SG-1. Stargate SG-1 lost some of its brilliance by adding Beau Bridges to the cast. Seasons nine and ten would have been so much better had they kept O'Neill as the head of the SGC. Richard Dean Anderson was one of the main contributing factors that led the show to its long run. And the show's run could have been longer with Richard Dean Anderson still around as a main cast member instead of only guest starring once in a blue moon. Richard Dean Anderson is recognizable and therefore O'Neill is likable. Who is Beau Bridges really? Otherwise the story arc that starts in this episode builds to an incredible adventure which I'm sure most people would agree.
  • New Team of SG-1

I love this episode! Daniel missed the schuduled trip to Atlantis! I love new team of SG-1, really! Cameron and Vala are new casting of SG-1 show. But Cameron is being major cast of Season nine, not Vala. Vala is not yet casted major until season ten. Vala is return as recurriling role for first straight six episodes. We learned that in real life, Amanda Tapping was pregnant on maternity leave for few months. Vala is temportary replaced for her until Amanda return back. Anyway, Vala used Daniel for getting her own treasure. But, Vala didn't get her treasure, Daniel won't allow it.! I love this episode and watched it lot!
  • What a wonderful episode.

I think everyone was sceptical as to what season 9 would be like due to Richard Dean Anderson leaving the show. But i have to say that i think this episode was fantastic and Ben Browder gave as good of a proformance as RDA. The way this episode was written was almost like a pilot the show is now going in a completely new direction, and whats more i like it. Now that they have added not only Cam but also Landry and Vala. All these new people are helping to make the show seem new a fresh. I think that this new direction and Crusade story was just what Stargate SG1 needed. I really hope Browder grows on people because this was fantastic.
  • Lt. Col. Mitchell, a suspiciously familiar character to sci-fi fans, becomes the new leader of SG1 and mopes about because the rest of the team has left. Then rediculous leather girl comes and starts them on a rediculous treasure hunt inspired by Merlin.

2.5
    This is a very weak and dissappointing start to the new season. I\'m really surprised by all the positive reviews. I know it\'s time for new characters and a new direction, and I\'m ready to see that happen. But this is a bad start.

To begin with, nothing happens in the first 3/4\'s of the episode. I know that they need to introduce characters and cover the changes taking place, but that can be done in the midst of a more exciting plot. Or, let\'s just say in the midst of any plot. There is some action in the flashbacks but it just isn\'t engaging. A new season should start with excitement, not a whimper.

Then, when something does finally happen, I was wishing that it hadn\'t. A buried treasure in King Arthur\'s court? An actual sword in the stone and trap doors with puzzle tests? That works for a 2am Sci-Fi popcorn movie, but Stargate should never stoop to such levels of cheese. It was embarassing. I was expecting the announcer from the 1960\'s Batman TV show to come on at the end and announce the cliffhanger.

I am a huge fan of Farscape, but I was skeptical to hear about Ben Browder coming over. To do another sci-fi show, he really needed to differentiate his character from John Crichton. However, this guy basically is Crichton. Or perhaps it\'s better to say that he is Ben Browder, just being Ben Browder on the screen again. And since I feel like I\'m watching Browder and not a new character, it really makes it difficult to buy into him and become emotionally involved in the show. (Yes, he\'s less crazy than Crichton, but a well-behaved Crichton is still not so original.)

And as for Claudia Black, her character is just too silly, too Xenia-the-warrior-princess for my tastes. I could accept this for the one-off episode last season, because Stargate has a great tradition of doing a couple of comical episodes each season. But to put her in the middle of an episode which is supposed to be important for setting the tone of the upcoming season was a bad call. And as for those bracelets which connected her to Daniel: wasn\'t it enough to steal two actors from Farscape without stealing this idea too?

Ben and Claudia are obviously trying to infuse some humor and energy into the show, but the great majority of it just falls flat.

If you\'ll look back at the first episodes of previous seasons, each one without exception is exciting. It\'s grand in scale, it\'s adventurous, and it involves some major bad guys and a shift of power in the galaxy. It\'s possible they could break that formula and still succeed, if they had some seriously strong character-based story to put forward, but that\'s just not happening here. Who is compelling here, aside from Daniel? Jack and Sam are barely present, Teal\'c is nodding it in, and the new guys are just barely beginning to show signs of personality. I tell you, we need spaceships and an alien threat, not Crichton-2 pining over how he can\'t get the band back together.

Well, most seasons do have a couple of clunker episodes. Here\'s hoping we\'re just getting it out of the way early.
  • Mixed reaction - like the new characters, miss not seeing all of SG-1 (especially Jack O'Neill)!

I liked the new characters, and I definitely liked the interplay between Daniel Jackson and Vala but ... the show is lacking something. And that something is ... Jack O'Neill. I'll continue to watch the show and hope that Series 9 can rise to the level of Stargate SG-1 at it's best.
  • I expected more.

In the first 30 minutes of this show all the new guy did was try to get the old guys back. I'm not completely sure if it was the whole 30 minutes but it felt long. I know it was important to the story and probably pivotal in getting into this season of new teams, enemies and friendships. But it was just so slow moving. It didn't keep me interested.
  • It seems they are trying to write Crichton into the Stargate family. And Aeryn Sun is channeling Chianna.

The writing in the first episode this season seems to be a little forced. It seems like they are trying to copy and paste Michael Chrichton directly from FARSCAPE into STARGATE SG-1. It seems to me that they have not found the type of hero that Cameron is suppossed to be in the series. I will say that they have thrown in some good subtle refrences to Ben and Cladia's prior relationship. The writing also seems to have Aeryn Sun channeling Chianna. I mean the outfit alone screams wardrobe malfunction. It should be interesting on how fast they burn out the thread of her character and how long she is forced after that. Will wait for next week to finish the review.
  • While beginning its 9th season, Stargate SG1 tries to find new momentum by adding new characters and plots. This could be a season wide challenge.

7.8
    With season 8 wrapping up almost all the issues hanging from Ancients to Jaffa's liberation through replicators, and no big cliffhangers, this first episode of a new season looks to me pretty like the first one of a spin off serie.

Was it wise to be willing to ensure the continuity with still being attached to the SG1 point of view. Even B.B. character is almost convinces that the SG1 era is a glorious past, and that filling in the boots of Jack O'neil is an impossible task.

Avalon is indeed the first episode of a new serie, at least i think it is the best way to look at it and give it a chance to grow up in our hearts like the 1 to 8 SG1 seasons did.

About the storyline... I'm very cautious with that Arthur myth plot. There may be a continuity problem about the timeline from the return of Atlantis Ancients from the Pegasus Galaxy and them still being around in the first centuries of the christian era. That weakness would have to be covered by a hell of a good explanation from my humble point of view. The excalibur thing looked almost like somekind of atraction in some medieval theme park. I did expected a lot better from the writers.

Being the first episode of a 3 episodes arc, we will have to wait a little more to see what direction the serie is taking. But i may add the introduction of Vala as a reccurring character may be the best asset i've seen for Stargate to go beyond season 9.
  • Who knew a cast change would work out so well?

As I was watching this season premiere, I was struck by the overwhelming touch of the familiar. It wasn’t just the return of a certain energy to the storytelling. It wasn’t just the welcome return of Ben Browder and Claudia Black to my television screen. It was the feeling that I had during the eighth season of “X-Files”, when the producers sought to continue that series once David Duchovny decided he was done with the show.

Robert Patrick was brought in as a new character (John Doggett) and immediately the fandom was fractured into two warring camps: those who wanted the series to end without Duchovny, and those who wanted to see where the writers could take things with a new character in the mix. The ratings took a predictable drop, and even now, the overwhelming opinion is that it was a mistake. Yet that masks something that many fans have since discovered on their own: the final seasons of “X-Files” were hardly the universal horribleness that some Duchovny adherents insisted.

There will inevitably be those who bemoan the fact that Jack O’Neill is no longer a mainstay of the series. True, he was the heart of the team for several seasons, but it’s been a while since he’s been truly a presence. He was reduced to a few snide (often lame) comments here and there, and at times, he was visibly bored. Browder looks anything but bored, and he has an equally strong comedic pedigree. If this episode is any indication, he understands the series’ inherent mixture of the serious and self-aware absurd and plays it to the hilt. There are shades of John Crichton in Mitchell, but the characters are distinct enough to allow the familiar to inform the unique.

Vala, however, is a more troubling character. Claudia Black certainly plays the character with relish, and it’s clear that she enjoys being sexy without apology. The corseted wardrobe definitely doesn’t hurt! But she sometimes plays the character too over the top, crossing the line that her initial appearance tred so carefully. Given how serious the episode was at the beginning, Vala’s antics brought the episode back towards the hilarity a bit too quickly. It’s still a lot of fun to see Claudia again, though, and she serves the necessary purpose of driving characters who were logically growing apart back onto the team.

Speaking of that necessity, I love the fact that the team is split up when the episode begins. It would strain credibility beyond all measure for the end of the eighth season to not result in a fractured team. It’s perfect to begin with the new commander and the new general. It’s still a hard break from the old regime, but it avoids the cliché of “passing the torch”. Landry is thankfully very different from Hammond or O’Neill. I’m still not sure what I think of him, but I didn’t immediately hate his guts, so it’s a better start that I was expecting!

With all the focus on the new characters, it’s almost jarring when Daniel and Teal’c return to the story. Daniel’s involvement is perhaps more logical, thanks to his character’s relationship with Vala; Teal’c feels like he was forced into the story. Amanda’s “delicate condition” thankfully makes her return a bit more protracted, giving the writers the chance to make that a more organic process. I’m not loving Daniel’s beard, but hey, it’s better than that thing that bonded to Teal’c’s chin a few seasons back!

As for the story itself: typically half-cheesy, especially the Merlin stuff. “Stargate” has always embraced its own inherent absurdity, reveling in the fact that the whole “mythological” motif was a bit over the top at times. Yet it makes perfect sense, within the context of the series, for Merlin to have been related to the Ancients and Avalon to have a real-world meaning. It can be goofy, but that’s part of the charm (at least for me!).

This is apparently the first part of a three part premiere, which means that there’s a lot still to be revealed. The writers are taking their time with things, and hopefully, I’m not the only one willing to see what they can so with fresh blood. As much as I admit that “SG-1” has always been about a core team of people, the series has enough legs to it to bring in new cast members and still survive. Unless, of course, the fans aren’t willing to go along for the ride.
  • Has potential, but after one episode they had better not spend too much time developing characters without some action.

I'm not sure what the future holds and I think the character development of the new characters lacked a little. I'll give them a chance tho - good to see some Aussie talent - Claudia Black.
    Interesting to note that Ben and Cludia came-over from Farscape when it bit the dust!.
    The plot was a little thin - but historically Robert Cooper has written some good episodes, so I look forward to see how the other writers pick-up on the characters and assist in their development.
    I am also looking forward to see how much integration of Stargate Atlantis is to come.
  • Cameron Mitchell gets command of the SG1 team only it's not exactly you know... a team anymore.

They're back folks!
    Well... sorta.
    Carter is in area 51, Teal'c is making a country, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis, Jack... is Jack but somewhere else and Beau Bridges is running SGC. Damn. But the most shocking change of all is this: Daniel has a beard!!!
    A beard, Daniel? Are you trying to pull a Riker? Either way honey, you're still gorgeous! I can see why Vala wants to jump your bones so bad.
    This episode felt like a fresh start. I mean it wanted to be a fresh start but seriously... Mitchell is a complete O'Neill clone. I'm sorry... but he is. Sheppard at least came into his own towards the end of season 1 of Atlantis. I'm hoping Mitchell can find his way too. The most annoying bit of acting is when he jumped up at T'ealc shooting his gun and threw a hissy fit. For crying out loud man, you're supposed to be an army man with excellent leadership skills. I did laugh when Vala pointed out what a limited gene pool the planet has and Daniel and Mitchell looked at each other funny. HAHA! I just love it how this show knows not to take itself seriously. That's why I keep coming back honestly. Take this episode for instance. I did get bored at times, but the spirit was still there.
    What was fresh was the whole Avalon angle. I love celtic lore, Arthur's legend, the Grail, etc, etc. Vala brought a touch of mischief to the show but even I started to find her annoying at some points and now when I think about it, she's kinda of a an idiot. She didn't know about the bracelets, she opened the pots without thinking. I understand she would be rash with other people's lives but not with her own. however I believe that's just bad writing. The writers needed her rashness as an excuse for the plot to unravel. Hopefully she'll prove her worth later on. Teal'c was there but for the grace of god. He didn't do much but he's Teal'c, he doeasn't have to do anything and he'd still be cooler then most of the people on the show. Beau Bridges is a weird choice for a general, he reminds me a lot of Don S Davis, and we haven't heard an explanation why he got command of the SGC. And while we're on the subject of commanding and stuff, are they turning the chevron guy into a sci-fi Radar? They even have the same name: "Walter".
    Funniest line of the week:
    "I haven't been this disappointed since I had sex with Daniel."
    Man, I'm sick of cliffhangers! This wasn't the best episode ever but it did it's job ok. Mitchell, for all his faults, I could understand where he was coming from. The new angle is appealing to me so overall, I'd giver this episode a 8 out of 10.
    Make that 8,5 cause Shanks seems to have lost the tummy he had in season 8! YAY!
  • Overall a poor start to an astounding Nineth season I only hope things get better, I would hate for them to go the way side and join the likes of X-files. Fingers crossed for future episodes

Although Im an avid fan of the show I came away wanting. There was no real link with the end of the previous season, no obvious lead out for Jack. Mr Bridges -although a seasoned actor- gave little to the character in this first episode, you only have to look at the previous commanders to see he has along way to go to build into this role. Ben Browder again comes across great an excellent choice for the new leader of SG1 but his character again is very similar to Jack's I hope this does not effect the overall feel of the show.

• SG-1 is no longer... until one of the memeber gets trouble

They finally understood how Michael Shanks was great, since they can't use Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson (who are both awesome of course) as much as before, they have to use more Daniel, and that's great because we can se him again with Vala, and I sinceraly hope that she will be here more and more to make a fabulous match with Daniel!
  • not a bad start

I really am starting to think start gate has gon its round and should of ended last season. but seeing as that's not the case season 9 starts out with an ok plot, just nothing great. even though the formation of the new cast was nice, nothing other then that really happened for the most part really happened in this episode

all and all its a 8 out 10 in my book
  • The Nine Year Old Show (for the most part) succeeds in rejuvenating itself.

ok, here we are year nine of stargate. who knew, right? But what to do after 8 years of Gou'ld ass kicking? First lets start with background:

The end of season 7 was both a curse and blessing for SG1. The season finale, the lost city would prove to be its finest episode to date and end that year off with a bang and singificant story momentum (we now have ancient weapons, what do we do with them now that the secret is out in a big way on earth and around the galaxy?...where IS atlantis?) It should all have been great from then on but...then it wasn't.

First off, that story momentum that season 7 ended with, in fact did exist....on Atlantis. you see, we've had two seasons of trying to find the lost city and the big reveal of finally getting there is another freakin series! thats great for the spin off since there is so much rich material there, but not so great for SG1, who had to find other stuff to focus on for the 8th year. Plus, Anubis was a great villian, leaving the other gou'lds seeming like pussies (seriously, what about baul was scary? The gotee?) Plus, we all know the Wraith could kick these posers' asses! I mean, they eat people, man!

So, SG1 was stuck in netural for the 8th year trying hard to wrap up the Gou'ld storyline without a big bad villian to vanquish (I know, Anubis came back but come on! talk about going back to the well...and the replictors? well, I never thought they were interesting and including them at the end seemed only like a convenient way to wrap shit up). Yet the end of an 8 year fight did still have an epic feel to it, even if there wasn't a real catharsis at the end. And we also did have a few great character moments in "Threads"...that were quickly ignored for a slightly amusing but insignificant time travel story, all to retrieve a ZPM to use...on another show (not that I mind that Atlantis and SG1 are interacting. At the beginning, when Daniel speaks of going on the Daedulus to Atlantis I thought "he cool, they are keeping their mythology consistent" but feeding one show at expense of another is not good)

So, season nine, where can we go? How about in a brand spanking new Direction! Yes, the show feels like it still has life in it with the departure of RDA (who I loved....for the first 6 years. He's been going through the motions for the past couple of years and looked bored) and the arrival of John Crich-I mean Cameron Mitchell. What does ben Browder do right? Everything. He treats the material seriously enough and any humor he does insert doesn't seem self referential but in the moment. Also, he inserts contagious enthusiasm...He Wants to go through the gate! He doesn't roll his eyes at saving the world again, its all new for him. This gives the other characters renewed vigor as well.

The show also makes the wise decision to eschew more gou'ld fighting and bring on a new baddie, as well as enter the world of arthurian mythology. When Mitchel found the hologram inside the underground cave it renewed a sense of aww and wonder I had when watching SG1 in the early years and wondering "hey, thats cool. I wonder where they're going with this?". Specifically it made me think back to the episode where they found Thor's hologram and how that was the beginning of such a lush mythology for the show.

Lets talk about the other new things: Vala and Daniel. What great chemistry between the two actors and the interactions between them make the trip through the gate even more interesting cause you don't know how they are going to act. By the millionth time the original four went through the gate, we all knew who would do and say what. Speaking of that, I also like Mitchell and Tea'lc's rappaport. Tea'lc looks bemused/annoyed by him while Mitchell comes off like an overeager kid trying to be a friend with one of the cooler kids. I also liked the new General played by Beau Bridges. It's fun to watch his reaction to all this stuff because it's all new to him and I don't think he buys into all of it.

But its not all good news: I like that Mitchell is already liked by the other characters so there isn't any of the "I don't like the new guy" crap. But, his "heroics" during the Antarctica fight don't seem...well, heroic. He was one of many figther pilots and the way the flashback was set up, I don't see how he greatly saved the day for everyone. Plus, if you remember, this was Hammond's big moment in season 7. HE was the man who stepped up and said "we will protect them at any cost!" (ok, he didn't say that but something like that). To go back and say "oh, yeah but Mitchell was key as well" without a proper scene to establish that he was so important, doesn't work. I also didn't like how the flashbacks were all broken up and inserted with quick cuts (quick cuts are a pet peeve of mind and also seriously hindered my enjoyment of that night's battlestar galactica). Finally, what is the point of having RDA on if he isn't going to do something substantial? His talk with the new general wasn't a great character momoment for either of the two charcters like I believe it was intended.

But all that is small stuff. I really liked this episode, despite its flaws and hopefully this is the start of something great (again)!!!
  • I learned at the end of season eight that General O'Neil was really leaving the show. I thought for sure going into season nine that this was the end of Stargate.

Boy was I ever wrong and glad to be wrong. First off they announced that Ben Browder is joining the show, not as a guest star but as one of the main stars. This to me was truly a wonderful idea. Ben was always such a smartass on the Farscape series and that was just what SG-1 needed. Of course seeing Claudia BLack back on the screen again as well was a worthwhile idea and I hope Vala plays a bigger role in more episodes.

The first Avalon episode starts off with everyone from the SG-1 team breaking off from one another and Ben Browders character Mitchell coming in to form a new SG-1 team. The problem is Mitchell wants to keep the old team intact minus of course Jack O'Neil whom he is taking the place of.

We learn who Mitchell is through flasbacks, how he fought during the race to find Atlantis. Mitchell is instantly a likable character and a strong one as well. As the episode goes on we learn that Daniel Jackson is going to Atlantis (to see more about this go to the SG-Atlantis boards). We also learn that Samantha Carter is off working on other things and that Teal'c is trying to become the leader of the freed Jaffa. Thus all of them are leaving Stargate Command.

Just when we think all hope is up the first Avalon picks up all of these things and takes us on a diffrent way. We know that the System Lords are all shattered and that their day is past. The Replicators are gone as well. SO what is left for the goodguys at SGC to fight? We don't know.

Avalon Part 1 sets us on a new course though. Vala arrives at SGC and she connects herself to Daniel so that she can find out some secrets about a stash of riches on earth. This turns out to be Avalon and it turns out that the ancients had two diffrent factions, one that broke off from them. I am getting ahead here though.

The episode ends with the four of them trapped in two seperate rooms and the new adventure for a new group just beginning. . .
  • Colonel Mitchell comes to lead SG-1 while Vala Mal Doran comes back for Daniel.

Cameron Mitchell, a hero of season 7, is rewarded with any job he’d like so he chooses to become Jack’s successor as the new SG-1 leader only to find out the team has been disbanded and he must now pick a new one from scratch, determined to get the original guys he receives unexpected help from season 8’s Vala Mal Doran, who has come to steal Daniel away from what I believe should be his third attempt to go to Atlantis. Mitchell is thrilled once that Vala grounds not only Dr. Jackson but Teal’c as well, because of some old Jaffa bracelets that link her to Daniel in such a way they would die if separated. Intrigued by this development – and the odd familiarity in which they treat one another - Teal’c decides to join them in the search of a treasure Vala claims to have brought her to SGC. Onboard Prometheus, Vala and Daniel reminiscence their fist fight the day they first met while Mitchell tries to find his place as leader as well as an angle to convince the team to remain together, however, by the time they arrive it becomes clear this may not be a possibility, especially when they’re caught in a trap that may crush them alive.
  • Slow start

With a slow start to the episode, and an excessive emphasis on quite how much of a hero Mitchell is and how much SG-1 owes him, for a short while there it did seem that concerns would be justified. Ben Browder's take on Mitchell luckily gives the character a different perspective. Watch the flashback scenes alone and you see a pilot who almost sacrificed himself to save SG-1, was showered with effusive praise by all and sundry, and was given a medal so rarely presented that none of SG-1 have received it despite saving the planet several times.
  • An excellent start to what will be a great season!

Finally, Stargate has returned. I have eagerly awaited the season premier of season 9, and I was not let down. True, the episode started off slow. It was a bit tiresome to have Ben Browder (Mitchell) running around to all the members of SG-1, saying "Come back! I joined for you." Finnaly however, Claudia Black (Vala) makes her return. Now the pieces start to fall into place. She cleverly traps Daninel Jackson into helping her to find a great treasure, which turns out to be right on Earth. TO make matters better, it is tied to the Authorian legend. To find that Merlin is an Ancient is awesome. Now I'll admit, I am very new to SG-1, so I'm not completly up to speed on the ancients, but from what I know, Merlin fits the role perfectly. Next...a review of part 2.
  • With SG-1 disbanded, Col. Cameron Mitchel, a fighter at the Antarctica incident, is put in charge of SG-1 when Vala shows up with evidence of a an Ancient "treasure" hold on Earth. With the help of Daniel and Teal'c, a hunt for the treasure ensues.

Having classified this as a pilot episode, some might find it somewhat confusing but in a sense it is kinda of a pilot to a new chapter in the show. While many were apprehensive about a 9th season encompassing so much change I looked forward to it and still do. The episode was a classic stargate ep., barring the absence of some importance characters. I enjoyed the addition of Ben Browder to the show and another appeareance by Claudia Black as Vala. If the episode had any lackings it was that it seemed to move kind of slow.

While the episode did not have a typical confluence of energy and emotions that comes with a season cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the Arthur/Ancient mythology and am anxious to seeing the new bad guys in the next episode. Overall, the episode is a great beginning of a new chapter in the stargate universe that I'm looking forward to.
  • Nice introduction to new (and recurring) characters as the SG-1 team is rebuilt from scratch...seemingly.

A very good introduction to the new character (Mitchell) and re-introduction to Vala (hopefully recurring - dig that cleavage!).

Lots of good back-story which doesn't come off as boring exposition.

Loved the conversation between Jack and the new General over the chess board - classic SG-1 banter!

Excellent CGI, as usual and great interplay between Mitchell, Daniel and Vala.

Excellent start to the new season.
  • Surprising

I was quite surprised how good this show was, even the new actors slipped in with ease. This show has never taken itself seriously and it really showed in this episode, it was very funny and entertaining. if the rest of the season is like this then we are in for a great ride :) thumbs up!
  • Plenty of stars in this show.

The lead actor and actress from the Farscape science fiction channel series were both in this episode.

It was really good.

There is a nice story arc, allegory as it were, back to Avalon of King Arthur's day. You will have to watch it to see what characters that involves.

Daniel gets ample opportunity to pout this episode as he gains a really unwelcome "ball and chain". It is kind of funny to watch him and his new partner's little spats. They do not seem to get along so well. Difference values.

This episode had a very full compliment of top science fiction actors in it. Combined with appearances of the regular cast, it is quite enjoyable. Story is good too.
  • Its Farscape on Stargate!

I liek this new plot idea... It is a change and I like the new characters... Ben browder takes Aderson's personal as the comic interlude, and to be more precise, I liked john Crichton's wit... So... Hurrah to SG1!!!
    Though I will miss good old MacGyver and Colonel Carter!, so I hope they rejoin the show soon!

• A new beginning - where will it go

Since I am not allowed to post a recap, I have to stick with a review. I think, someone should write a recap soon - I like to read last episodes recap before watching the next.

So season 9 of Stargate starts and it starts off with a two or three part episode, which is why I maked this episode as "Pilot Episode". Also, the SG-1 Team as we know is gone - the Characters are all busy outside the SGC.

The story in short:
    Colonel Mitchel (Ben Browder, Farscape) who fought the battle over Antarctica to protect SG-1 in finding the way to Atlantis (that was one season ago) applies to the SGC as leader of SG-1 only to realize, that SG-1 has to be rebuilt from scratch. He tries to contact each former member, but they all refuse to come back. This is a nice move since one also gets filled in what happened since last season. Teal'c is doing politics, O'Neill is retired, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis and Carter works in the science labs.
    Before he can set up a new team, Daniel gets a visit from Vala (Claudia Black, Farscape) who is on a treasure hunt. She also drags Daniel into it by using a Gou'ald bonding device that leaves them unseperable. Teal'c comes to help Daniel but can't do much but identify the device. Since Vala insists on it - and she has the only means of releasing the bond - they decide to go on that treasure hunt.
    The tablet which is the "trasure map" points to the Avalon myth around King Arthur and Merlin (which are thought to be Ancients or almost-acended humans). The team uses new technology to uncover a hidden cave and use a ring device to get in. There they are greeted by a hologram of Merlin and the famous "Sword in a Rock". Of course they are told to prove that they are worthy and sincere and shortly after that, they find themselves in the inadvertedly collapsing room with a riddle...

Now while the second part of the story is not quite new (ancient holograms, hidden caves, riddles), the point of the episode is rather to introduce new characters and this worked out nicely. Maybe it is because I know them from Farscape, but I just liked them both from the start. Colonel Mitchell is refreshingly different from O'Neill but still has a good sense of humour. I expect the team going on that treasure hunt to be the new SG-1 team, although it may be possible that this is not completely true. Vala would be a very complicated member of the crew and give much opportunity towards change. Teal'c has a position as a leader of his people - how will he combine these duties with going on missions again? I guess he'll have to decide.
  • alright...

as many of you know ricard dean anderson left the show, which sucks. We are also introduced to a couple of new characters. Ben Browder as colonel mitchell comes and is the new leader of sg1. Beau Bridges plays general hank landry and takes over the SGC. Alot has changed tealc has left the sgc so has colonel carter. Daniel jackson is going to atlantis. But he unfortuatley misses his trip and doesnt go. tealc comes back for another mission and now sg1 is doing what they do best, explore. This episode leaves you with a cliff hanger which I'm not going to talk about. Many people say that it is a different show and it is. it will never be the way it was. But I still like it. Later...
< 1 2