Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• Stargate\'s first foray into Arthurian mythology starts off mysteriously.

Michael Shanks did not mince his words when he mentioned that the ninth season would be akin to starting over. With new cast to replace some and supplement other old ones, one would expect a completely different dynamic from what was seen in the first eight seasons of the episode. This marks the debut of Browder and Bridges into the realm of Stargate. These, combined with the fact that this is the first of a trilogy indicates that first episode of the ninth season is nothing short of a pilot with a strong emphasis on character development, especially that of Colonel Mitchell played by Ben Browder and Vala played by Claudia Black.

With the most of the Gao’uld killed or defeated and the remaining hiding, one is left pondering over the storyline of the ninth season. In keeping with its tradition that implies all mythology is true with a strong alien influence, this episode gives a draws a connection between realm of Arthurian mythology and the Ancients. The adventure starts off with Browder being incorporated as an integral part of stargate even before. When Vala forces Daniel Jackson to miss the trip to Atlantis on board the Daedalus, he is forced to help her translate a coded Ancient scroll to find what Vala believes, is a source to buried treasure.

Claudia Black is charming as usual and keeps up the traditional sci-fi humor. Ben Browder successfully teams up with Black again and there is even a smart reference to their previous involvement in the hit Sci-Fi series, Farscape. On the whole, it seems that season nine has got off to a good, but mysterious start. However, only time will tell if the cast comes together as well as they did in the previous eight seasons.
  • it was almost like a pilot for a new show...

This episode had a lot of character development because it introduced so many new characters. Beau Bridges playing the new general, Ben Browder playing the new colonel Mitchell, and Claudia Black coming in to play Vala reguarly. That's a lot for one episode. I really wish they changed around the show bit by bit throughout the 8 years instead of just drastically changing it in the 9th season. It was like an entirely new show, and I almost wish they made it a new show. I love stargate, I just wish they'd change things up more and, when they did change things, not to change it so drastically. Oh well, back to this episode. Colonel Mitchell comes in and is supposed to pick a new team, but he wants to old sg-1. Vala comes in and puts a braclet on herself and Daniel. I loved that part of the story. I really didn't like the whole part of the story where Mitchell was trying to get the team back. It was boring, in my opinion. It was a bit interesting seeing Merlin and that story line. Overall, good episode, a bit boring, but had many funny moments, espcially with Vala.
  • The Beginning of a new era.

7.8
    So this season 9 premiere also signifies the start of a whole new era, with new characters and stories.

Well, to be honest this episode was not really convincing IMO. It had some pretty dull moments and well....it did not grow on me.

Mitchell comes to join the SG1. It`s difficult not to think of him as the direct replacement for O'Neill. At times, Mitchell tries to be funny ala O'Neill....that ain`t working. Richard Dean Anderson is irreplaceable...that`s a fact. And it was great to see O'Neill appear in that episode. However Mitchell is still likable but it should take a couple of episodes to grow on me. And good they make a background story on his involvement with the Stargate program before and not just bring him like that.
    However Vala is fun but the New general.....euh well nothing special about him.

Its a tough challenge to continue without Richard Dean Anderson...much character development in it and the story was not the most captivating one but still, it was not bad.

There`s room for much improvement here. There`s lot of changes and it will take time to settle. Maybe a less drastic transition would have been better.
  • This show should have ended a long time ago.

This episode was indeed very painful to watch. The show should've ended with 6/7 seasons produced. Farscape was one of my favorite sci-fi shows, but Ben & Claudia just don't fit in the Stargate universe. Their acting is quite stiff and their jokes are even worse (Ben obviously tries to replace O'Neill). I only hope that 2nd season of Atlantis will be more enteraining.
  • Bring on Ben Browder! and of Course Claudia Black. What a team these two make though it's hard to see her with anyone else, Daniel is a wonderful choice! Kudos to some of the most talented writers I've had the pleasure to critique.

It should be known that this particular episode is the one that brought me into the SG-1 fold. I hadn't paid the series much attention and barely nodded at the movie until the stroke of genius that brought John Creighton into Cheyenne Mountain occurred. I'd been a fan of Farscape and never known that Claudia Black had been a guest on SG-1 until I heard the words that now ring in my head occasionally, "Now... where's my Daniel?" This ep began an intensive four month emersion into the world after obtaining a Stargagte, and I am proud and happy to say I am no longer capable of imaging a world without one. I own eight seasons on DVD and will eventually purchase each and ever successive season. (Okay I'm a B-5er too but they charge way too much for those DVD's). Nuff said about that.

Thank you, ever so talented writing staff for NOT making Mitchell disliked or distrusted by the team members. Thank you for making him someone they liked in general and could easily fold into their own "little family" (love the 'movie night' allusion... the season's over if you haven't guessed that by now) Thank you for making him someone who's eager to explore other worlds and with the innocence of a child and experience of a seasoned warrior someone who can be observed with a fresh eye while learning both about intergalactic threats as well as whatever he wasn't able to learn by being sequestered on EArth. Would that we were all so lucky... In some of the additional stuff DVD sets interviewers have asked the question "If there was a real Stargate would you go through it?" That answer is a resounding YES! A thousand times YES. and even after the continually and surprisingly fresh episodes that comprise the eight seasons prior I'm astounded and delighted that the writers haven't lost the knack... I mean after all... there are so many galaxies and if you want to get into it, in all reality... so many universes left to explore... and so many villains left to unearth... I can't wait!

Bring 'em on!
  • After eight seasons, SG-1 (thankfully) reimagines itself!

Stargate SG-1 is probably the best show on TV. The last two seasons, however, although good could not compare with the first five seasons. We watch SG-1 to see them explore new worlds (even though many of them look suspiously like the Pacific Northwest). With the reduced workload of Richard Dean Anderson the show was increasingly anchored to Earth and the SGC. While there were some fine episodes (It's Good to Be King comes to mind) it just wasn't the same. Enter Ben Browder and Col. Mitchell. Thrown to the wolves with no team (everyone is busy elsewhere). SG-1 (minus Amanda Tapping) is spending the next several weeks exploring the Arthurian legends. While Ben Browder does look a great deal like Michael Shanks he brings an energy and wit to the show that has been lacking for the last several years. It will be interesting to see how the team comes together especially once Col. Carter returns.
  • A new season and a whole host of new Characters.

They have to have us get to know all these new characters somehow before they can really go places. So Starting with Earth not that bad a thing. Episode starts out with Col Cameron Mitchel (Ben Browder) meeting General Landry (Beau Bridges) and given control of SG-1 to find out that no one from the original SG-1 team will be on the team any longer and he gets to pick a new team. Mitchel goes to all of the old team (Teal'c, Dr Jackson and Lt Col Carter) and asks all of them to come back to no avail.
    Then Vala (Claudia Black) comes through the Stargate with SG-12 and things get interesting.
    I have to admit with the addition of Black and Browder my interest in this series is renewed. It is so nice to see the old Farscape comrades. I think this group will work out well. Let's see where they can take us.
  • I felt that the Arthurian Mythology tie-in with the Ancients seemed tacked on and rushed...

...But that didn't stop the 9th season from getting off to a good start. The introduction of Ben Browder as Cameron Mitchell felt seamless and natural, and he came across as if he's been on the show since the beginning. However, his interaction with the fragmented SG-1 team lacked chemistry, though understandable since Cameron is the new guy on the block.

It's always a joy to see Claudia Black onscreen...Especially as Vala. She's no doubt having a lot of fun with that character. What's great about her is that she has great chemistry with everyone, including her brief scenes with Landry. And I couldn't help but smile seeing Black and Browder onscreen together again.

As for the rest of the episode, it started off slow, but picked up nicely in the last half hour. Here's hoping that next week's episode gives a nice pay off.
  • Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell, a new addition to Stargate Command, arrives in hopes of joining SG-1. He soon finds out that SG-1 ain't what it used to be.

7.8
    Avalon is the first in a trilogy of episodes that set up not only the season the come but the direction of the show for the next two seasons and probably the two movies to follow. In many ways, and it's not easy for me to admit this, it really is a new show. Jack is nowhere to be seen, Sam barely has a cameo, Teal'c has moved on, and Daniel is trying to do the same. The SGC has a new leader in General Landry, a bit of a hardass, a new leader for SG-1 with Colonel Mitchell, and even a new doctor. The new cast members (along with Daniel's beard) certainly give the show a different feel, a point hammered home with the return of one-time guest star Vala Mal Doran. I will admit that with Vala I'm a bit biased being a huge Claudia Black fan and getting to see her in a role that's so different from any I've viewed before. Vala brings an entirely new and in my opinion fun energy to the team and the show in general. Her chemistry and interaction with Daniel are fantastic and lead to some of the best moments in the episode. She also provides the means for the beginning of the show's next story arc and works as a sufficient stand in for Carter's absence early in the year. With the Goa'uld all but eliminated and the Replicators wiped out, we get an entirely new story. Keeping in the theme of alien races inspiring Earth mythology, Daniel discovers that the Merlin the wizard of King Arthur fame was an Ancient and our new story is begun. Personally, I find the fact of Merlin being an Ancient to be fascinating so I enjoy that part of the storyline. Other high points in the episode involve Mitchell's fruitless attempts to bring the old SG-1 back together and his even more frustrating attempts to recruit new members. The end of the episode brings about a new adventure, another cave, and lots of good ol' fashioned peril.

The episode's not without its flaws, though. The scenes involving the Free Jaffa and the rise of the ambitious Gerak aren't all that interesting, though having Lou Gossett Jr. on the show is kind of fun. The episode overall gets off to a pretty slow start until they board the Prometheus toward the end. Understandable for an episode that is in essence a reboot for the series. It takes a little while to set something like that up. In the end, a solid start to a new season and new team.
  • Considering Stargate has been on for 9 seasons, one would think that the formula of the series would get a bit overdrawn, yet the recent changes in the cast has openned up many new doors for the series. New vibes and new personalities have breathed new li

Storyline
    The storyline was vintage Stargate. With many of the original characters on to newer things, the newcomers have brought a new style to how the story is presented. With humor elements being provided, the new Stargate fan is happy, yet the veteran Stargate viewer is not left in the dark.

Exploring Arthurian Mythology openning up endless possibilities.

Characters
    Ben Browder plays Colonel Mitchell, the newest addition to SG-1. His persona it's self being supplement to what Colonel Jack O'neil (Richard Dean Anderson) use to be. With quick and whitty humor, and Claudia Black guest staring in the episode, the fast humor the show has become known for has been enhanced.

Physical changes in the characters is a bit of a given in the Stargate world. Yet, throughout the series the original characters still manage to grow, but still maintain their overall shell.

Overall
    Overall, the show has come off to yet another promising start. And with the possibility of the show ending this season, the producers and network may give a shot at another season. The storylines have stayed original, the cast have a great on screen chemistry, and overall the show has remained timeless.
  • A New Team is Formed.

Dr. Jackson, And Teal'c are still on the team it would seem and taking the places of the Sam Jack are former Farscape stars Ben Browder (Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Cladia Black (Vala).

I know Ben & Cladia are both amazing actors that will bring great life to this show.

I forsee good things to come.
  • the new gut is hot...wanna hear more then read on

Despite my disappiontment that it doesn't seem jack and sam are gonna get together i hadn't watched other eps with this mitchell guy in it but he is a hottie i must say. This was a good ep to satrt off with and as they have soo often proved to us they can get better
  • A very good episode and a great seaon opener.

That was a very good episode of Stargate SG-1. Some old faces are less important and not as central, Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill. Some old faces are still there and very important, Teal'c and Daniel Jackson. There are new central figures, Mitchell, who is in charge of SGC, and Vala (not her first appearance but still fairly new). The plot is very good and it's a great cliffhanger at the end. There is a lot of humor with Vala around. That's important because some of the episode is all serious and then it's funny because of a random comment (normally from Vala). This show was top notch and so was the continuation. I really hope that there are a lot more episodes with Vala in the future. This show was definetly a 9.2.
  • It's a promising start.

This episode marks the first episode where Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) is not a regular. I'm going to miss him. Anyway the new characters, General Landry and Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell, seem okay. Landry kind of reminds me of General Hammond, the SGC's commanding officer from Seasons 1-7. Mitchell is very witty, but he's not as funny as O'Neill. To more positive things, the second appearance of Vala. Yeah! She's still scares Daniel and she's still infatuated with him. She's still also funny. She also makes jokes about her having relations with Daniel, which didn't happen because it didn't happen on "Prometheus Unbound".Vala is going to appear in several episodes of this season. If there's a 10th Season, I think Vala should become a regular. I'd love to see her interaction with Daniel. Another nitpick I guess, Vala uses the term "make babies", which I'm not sure extraterrestrial humans would use. So long Richard Dean Anderson. I hope you enjoy spending time with your daughter.
  • The return of Classic Stargate

To me, seasons seven and eight felt like the television equivilant of New Coke; someone, somewhere thought it was a great idea, but it sucked on so many levels. With Anderson less and less interested in the show and the terrible shippy scenes TPTB set up between Jack and Sam, the storylines became increasing trite and ship-driven. There was little chemistry between Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson, and Anderson looked increasingly bored.

Which is why I LOVED Avalon. Anderson's character Jack O'Neill is gone, replaced by Ben Browder as Cameron Mitchell. Tapping is on maternity leave, replaced by Claudia Black as Vala Mal Doran.

And so TPTB realise that New Coke sucks, and brought back Classic Coke. The chemistry between Vala, Daniel, Cameron and Teal'c remind me of the early days of SG1, and runs circles around the tired, trite, try-hard chemistry between Jack and Sam. So far, Teal'c seems to have something to do, and watching Daniel and Vala spar is invigorating after two years of sappy, trite dialogue between Jack and Sam.

I really enjoyed Avalon, and the way they're introducing the origins of Celtic mythology into the series. (Incidentally, the Nox Anteaus was named after a Greek God; was that meant to be another connection to ancient culture?). While they didn't actually go offworld, there was enough alien technology and intrigue that it didn't matter.

In one episode, SG1 has intrigued me more then most of the last two years did. I hope to see more of the same.
  • Whole new story..

As last episode wrapped everything so together, it is almost like a whole new serie, whole new story. And quite exciting I most say.

Many new chars. First new leader - he really looks much more free than Hammond ever was - more that kind of big joke.

Then of course Mitchell - he looks quite ok but I am not too impressed.

And then Vala - I really hope she stays as even if she looks sometimes so silly and makes those stupid comments, she has somekind of refreshment to the show. And she really worked well.

On the storyline - it looks like now Arthurian legends are picked up as we start with sword on stone. All the treasure hunting is really promising. Cannot wait.
  • Boy I'm confused!

Boy, is this season different than normal. It's speeding along already in the first episode & I'm not following as well as usual.

I hope that that this season get better or I might not keep watching. What am I saying, of course I'll watch anyway. I own the first 8 seasons on DVD.
  • A change in style I was expecting to be hard. But it was a really good episode. It was funny and had action. I like this new "we're going old-school" attitude.

The start of a new season, high hopes from everybody, that’s had to live up to. Especially if your 8-year lead actor is no longer one of the regulars. But I think they did a very nice job, seeing as I was a bit concerned since Richard Dean Anderson is my favorite actor of the show. The episode had a lot of the old action and humor it used to have, and Ben Browder and Claudia Black are very good actors.

The episode starts with “Ben Browder” getting command of SG-1, only to find it doesn’t exist anymore. I think that was a genius idea. After the last episode of season the series was finished. Every loose end was tied, they got the ZPM for the Atlantis team and after eight years of stubbornness, Jack and Sam finally decided that they shouldn’t let regulations stand in their way. By letting SG-1 fall apart it is easier to accept that the new SG-1 is going to be different and that Jack O’Neill is definitely gone. Another thing I really liked about the episode was the fact that Samantha Carter implies that she actually left the SGC to be with Jack. Which raises the interesting question how they’re going to bring Carter back, if that’s the reason she left.

The role of RDA in this episode I found a little disappointing. It’s not that he didn’t put up a good performance, but I thought that in the few episodes he did appear in he’d have a more pivotal role.

I really liked the wits of the early days back; the thing between the General and Mitchell, Mitchell’s struggle to put a team together, Valia’s comment on the similarities between Mitchell and Daniel and the whole thing between Daniel and Valia was priceless.

All in all a great season premier with a good plot, plus Michael Shanks looks really hot with a beard.
  • Stargate SG-1 returns, sort of.

And so begins a brand new Stargate SG-1, not just new in the normal sense of the word but new as in fresh, reinvented and unexpected.
    Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O\'Neill is gone (albeit except for a cameo) the Goau\'ld are no longer the big threat, Sam Carter is gone, for a while at least, and here\'s the biggie. SG-1 has totally disbanded.
    All this is enough to scare the avid watcher. Luckily though the producers seem to know what they are doing. The new lead, Cameron Mitchell is a good character and a refreshing change from the laconic wit of Jack. Our new general seems like he will be a good fit and the return of Vala is a very good move.
    The plight of Mitchell trying to \"get the band back together\" is fun, it\'s obvious they will reunite so the ride can be enjoyed.
    The weak parts of the episode come mainly in the flashbacks, a simple mention of Mitchell\'s heroics and subsequent injury wouild been sufficient. The thing I hate the most, 10 second opening credits, if it was a permenent move i\'d have been mighty annoyed.

All in all a great start to a new look show
  • A terrible bombardment of rushedness

6.9
    Stargate SG-1 is possibly one of the best sci-fi shows ever, as far as im concerned. But this episode i felt, tried too hard.

I realise they're introducing all these new charachters, and its been refrenced that this is in a way, a pilot episode for a new type of stargate. But there was something about this episode, and indeed possibly the next few, that feel slightly off.

I was never a fan of farscape, so the two new farscape actors don't annoy me. I think it tried to hard to get through so much, and introduced too many new things while bombarding us with flashbacks of how Cameron Mitchell ties in with SG1's past.

The disbandment of SG1 as well, how each charachter seemed to be going off on there own, was sad. It made me kinda angry. Another thing that felt weird was the introduction of this King Arthur stuff. I don't get it.

The introduction of Vala, while she stuck true to her charachter on that episode last season, it just felt weird that she would prance in and do all this stuff.

Is the audience missing a whole heap of backstory? i reckon so. the whole thing was rushed, and a to be continued made me go "eh".

Maybe im just a stickler for change, i guess we'll see how it turns out in the upcoming episodes.

Still its better than reality shows. ;)
  • Lt. Col. Mitchell, a suspiciously familiar character to sci-fi fans, becomes the new leader of SG1 and mopes about because the rest of the team has left. Then rediculous leather girl comes and starts them on a rediculous treasure hunt inspired by Merlin.

2.5
    This is a very weak and dissappointing start to the new season. I\'m really surprised by all the positive reviews. I know it\'s time for new characters and a new direction, and I\'m ready to see that happen. But this is a bad start.

To begin with, nothing happens in the first 3/4\'s of the episode. I know that they need to introduce characters and cover the changes taking place, but that can be done in the midst of a more exciting plot. Or, let\'s just say in the midst of any plot. There is some action in the flashbacks but it just isn\'t engaging. A new season should start with excitement, not a whimper.

Then, when something does finally happen, I was wishing that it hadn\'t. A buried treasure in King Arthur\'s court? An actual sword in the stone and trap doors with puzzle tests? That works for a 2am Sci-Fi popcorn movie, but Stargate should never stoop to such levels of cheese. It was embarassing. I was expecting the announcer from the 1960\'s Batman TV show to come on at the end and announce the cliffhanger.

I am a huge fan of Farscape, but I was skeptical to hear about Ben Browder coming over. To do another sci-fi show, he really needed to differentiate his character from John Crichton. However, this guy basically is Crichton. Or perhaps it\'s better to say that he is Ben Browder, just being Ben Browder on the screen again. And since I feel like I\'m watching Browder and not a new character, it really makes it difficult to buy into him and become emotionally involved in the show. (Yes, he\'s less crazy than Crichton, but a well-behaved Crichton is still not so original.)

And as for Claudia Black, her character is just too silly, too Xenia-the-warrior-princess for my tastes. I could accept this for the one-off episode last season, because Stargate has a great tradition of doing a couple of comical episodes each season. But to put her in the middle of an episode which is supposed to be important for setting the tone of the upcoming season was a bad call. And as for those bracelets which connected her to Daniel: wasn\'t it enough to steal two actors from Farscape without stealing this idea too?

Ben and Claudia are obviously trying to infuse some humor and energy into the show, but the great majority of it just falls flat.

If you\'ll look back at the first episodes of previous seasons, each one without exception is exciting. It\'s grand in scale, it\'s adventurous, and it involves some major bad guys and a shift of power in the galaxy. It\'s possible they could break that formula and still succeed, if they had some seriously strong character-based story to put forward, but that\'s just not happening here. Who is compelling here, aside from Daniel? Jack and Sam are barely present, Teal\'c is nodding it in, and the new guys are just barely beginning to show signs of personality. I tell you, we need spaceships and an alien threat, not Crichton-2 pining over how he can\'t get the band back together.

Well, most seasons do have a couple of clunker episodes. Here\'s hoping we\'re just getting it out of the way early.
  • Well being a Farscape fan I may be a bit bias.

Well being a Farscape fan I may be a bit bias. But Ben's and Claudia's wacky Farscape style returns to bring life back in the old girl. Frankly, when I heard Ben was gonna lead the team in the new season I know that flow of stories and character interaction is goning have a nice change.

My first blog post so I meant as well repeat it here:

Some stuff I notice which I thought was interesting:

Ben, "Or you could just marry that chick."
    Claudia, "Yeah. Lets make babies."

Joke on farscape when both his adn Claudia had the some hate/love relationship and ended up marrying each other and having a child. Oh Michael your wife is so gonna kill you.

Claudia, "Can you see what's in there? Let's say large piles of preicous metals?"

Michael then yanks her back by her throat strap (that thing is part of her trench coat i see) in which you can actually hear her choke. The actress eyeballs him and he apologetically give her left shoulder a squeeze. Must have been unintentionally but the director kept it in.

Character developement for Claudia's Vala seems interesting as Michael, "...especially once it gets to know you." Claudia give that 'why you say mean things about me look'.

Christopher manages to stop the stone slab from closing them in room twice for 1/2 a sec each time!

Ben, "Whoah whoah! Bullets bounch!"

True if that was not sandstone or limestone but Christopher firing directly at the door standing next to Ben still is worrying. Not mention that grin he gave Ben 'haha made ya wet your pants'.
  • There's a new leader of SG-1 and he wants to get the original SG-1 back together.

I thought Mitchell was a great choice to take over for SG-1. He's got a similar attitude that O'Neill had. I was pretty show that everyone would get back together, but I was sorry to see that Carter wasn't there with them.

I think Vala's character was a good idea. She brings a lot of laughter to the show. Not only that, but her and Daniel make a great looking couple.

I don't know about General Landry though. I don't mind his character that much, but for some reason I don't think he acts enough like a General. I'm comparing him to General Hammond and O'Neill. Landry wasn't a bad choice, but I think they could've done better.
  • The beggining of the 'New SG1'....

i think that alot of fans felt that after richard dean anderson left that series was going to be very different, and it was. i like this episode because it makes sg1 doing what they used to do, explore. the episode was almost like a pilot episode for a new sg1. i like the story of merlin the magician, and the team having to explore in avaon treasur.the team didn't learn about the Ori until the third episode of the season although they were in the second episode briefly at the end. i like how the writers left a little gap betwwen the goa'uld and the ori.later.
  • SG-1 gets a much needed rejuvination.

As much as I love this show, I was fearing that it was starting to get into a rut the last couple of years. Aside from Daniel/Jonas switch and killing off Fraiser, it was mostly the same core cast and it seemed that some of the initial excitement of the show had died.
    So leave it to the producers to come up a brilliant way to rejuvinate it. Browder is perfect as Mitchell and while he may come off as a lighter version of O'Neill at first, he's starting to stretch, wanting to show his stuff as a leader and killing him he doesn't have the team to do it with. The scene of Mitchell interviewing possible replacements was hilarious.

And speaking of hilarious, Claudia Black unleashes the comedic timing she'd kept mostly hidden on "Farscape." In typical Stargate style, they get the obvious in-joke out of the way fast when Browder and Black meet "We haven't met before...I"d have remembered") and Black's calling on the similarity between Mitchell and Daniel was a great shout-out to fans.

Also good was the addition of Beau Bridges as Landry as we quickly see that unlike Hammond, he's rather impatient putting up with Daniel's rambling explanations and that he and MItchell seem to instantly respect each other is fun to watch. I can already tell Bridges is going to make this season fun.

Tackling the Arthur legend was probably invevitable and promises some fun with Mitchell and the sword. And the linking of Vara and Daniel indicates that every scene of them together is going to be great to watch.

Overall, a great premire that kicks off a new status quo for the series and makes it more 'need to watch' then it's been in years. Stargate still has some life left in it, which is good news for all sci-fi.
  • alright...

as many of you know ricard dean anderson left the show, which sucks. We are also introduced to a couple of new characters. Ben Browder as colonel mitchell comes and is the new leader of sg1. Beau Bridges plays general hank landry and takes over the SGC. Alot has changed tealc has left the sgc so has colonel carter. Daniel jackson is going to atlantis. But he unfortuatley misses his trip and doesnt go. tealc comes back for another mission and now sg1 is doing what they do best, explore. This episode leaves you with a cliff hanger which I'm not going to talk about. Many people say that it is a different show and it is. it will never be the way it was. But I still like it. Later...
  • Well done! This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue).

This is the first episode where it seems clear that the old-team will not be together on a regular basis (although bits of it might continue). Considering this, I think the writers did a magnificent job introducing Mitchell. The beginning where he is trying and trying and trying to get the old team together is amusing and frankly I would have tried to do the same thing.

The reunion with Vala was particularly amusing and perfect for the new team formula although I hope that Vala is not over-used in that her banter could get repetitive quickly. Her outrageous comment on making babies had me ROFL.

All in all, excellent job considering prolly all of us WANT JACK BACK!
  • Its Farscape on Stargate!

I liek this new plot idea... It is a change and I like the new characters... Ben browder takes Aderson's personal as the comic interlude, and to be more precise, I liked john Crichton's wit... So... Hurrah to SG1!!!
    Though I will miss good old MacGyver and Colonel Carter!, so I hope they rejoin the show soon!

• A new beginning - where will it go

Since I am not allowed to post a recap, I have to stick with a review. I think, someone should write a recap soon - I like to read last episodes recap before watching the next.

So season 9 of Stargate starts and it starts off with a two or three part episode, which is why I maked this episode as "Pilot Episode". Also, the SG-1 Team as we know is gone - the Characters are all busy outside the SGC.

The story in short:
    Colonel Mitchel (Ben Browder, Farscape) who fought the battle over Antarctica to protect SG-1 in finding the way to Atlantis (that was one season ago) applies to the SGC as leader of SG-1 only to realize, that SG-1 has to be rebuilt from scratch. He tries to contact each former member, but they all refuse to come back. This is a nice move since one also gets filled in what happened since last season. Teal'c is doing politics, O'Neill is retired, Daniel wants to go to Atlantis and Carter works in the science labs.
    Before he can set up a new team, Daniel gets a visit from Vala (Claudia Black, Farscape) who is on a treasure hunt. She also drags Daniel into it by using a Gou'ald bonding device that leaves them unseperable. Teal'c comes to help Daniel but can't do much but identify the device. Since Vala insists on it - and she has the only means of releasing the bond - they decide to go on that treasure hunt.
    The tablet which is the "trasure map" points to the Avalon myth around King Arthur and Merlin (which are thought to be Ancients or almost-acended humans). The team uses new technology to uncover a hidden cave and use a ring device to get in. There they are greeted by a hologram of Merlin and the famous "Sword in a Rock". Of course they are told to prove that they are worthy and sincere and shortly after that, they find themselves in the inadvertedly collapsing room with a riddle...

Now while the second part of the story is not quite new (ancient holograms, hidden caves, riddles), the point of the episode is rather to introduce new characters and this worked out nicely. Maybe it is because I know them from Farscape, but I just liked them both from the start. Colonel Mitchell is refreshingly different from O'Neill but still has a good sense of humour. I expect the team going on that treasure hunt to be the new SG-1 team, although it may be possible that this is not completely true. Vala would be a very complicated member of the crew and give much opportunity towards change. Teal'c has a position as a leader of his people - how will he combine these duties with going on missions again? I guess he'll have to decide.
  • Plenty of stars in this show.

The lead actor and actress from the Farscape science fiction channel series were both in this episode.

It was really good.

There is a nice story arc, allegory as it were, back to Avalon of King Arthur's day. You will have to watch it to see what characters that involves.

Daniel gets ample opportunity to pout this episode as he gains a really unwelcome "ball and chain". It is kind of funny to watch him and his new partner's little spats. They do not seem to get along so well. Difference values.

This episode had a very full compliment of top science fiction actors in it. Combined with appearances of the regular cast, it is quite enjoyable. Story is good too.
< 1 2