Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchel becomes the new team leader of SG-1. He's determined to get Carter, Teal'c and Jackson back together on the team as they've all gone their separate ways.

Cameron Mitchel is an awesome addition to Stargate SG-1. Here we have a guy who's a little like a younger version of O'Neill. Same snappy attitude like O'Neill that made the early episodes of Stargate SG-1 so great. That's one of the reasons this episode really works. We also get a glimpse into Mitchel's past which reveals he was one of the X-302 fighter pilots who was defending SG-1 as they discovered the Ancients' weapon in Antarctica while Anubis' fleet was attacking. My only real criticism of this episode is the fact that O'Neill is suddenly no longer the head of the SGC. If the producers of Stargate SG-1 had seriously tried to get Richard Dean Anderson who plays O'Neill to stay as part of the main cast instead replacing him with Beau Bridges who plays General Landry this episode in my books would be a ten. In my opinion Beau Bridges is a less than average actor who got lucky landing a role on Stargate SG-1. Stargate SG-1 lost some of its brilliance by adding Beau Bridges to the cast. Seasons nine and ten would have been so much better had they kept O'Neill as the head of the SGC. Richard Dean Anderson was one of the main contributing factors that led the show to its long run. And the show's run could have been longer with Richard Dean Anderson still around as a main cast member instead of only guest starring once in a blue moon. Richard Dean Anderson is recognizable and therefore O'Neill is likable. Who is Beau Bridges really? Otherwise the story arc that starts in this episode builds to an incredible adventure which I'm sure most people would agree.