Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• A change in style I was expecting to be hard. But it was a really good episode. It was funny and had action. I like this new "we're going old-school" attitude.

The start of a new season, high hopes from everybody, that’s had to live up to. Especially if your 8-year lead actor is no longer one of the regulars. But I think they did a very nice job, seeing as I was a bit concerned since Richard Dean Anderson is my favorite actor of the show. The episode had a lot of the old action and humor it used to have, and Ben Browder and Claudia Black are very good actors.

The episode starts with “Ben Browder” getting command of SG-1, only to find it doesn’t exist anymore. I think that was a genius idea. After the last episode of season the series was finished. Every loose end was tied, they got the ZPM for the Atlantis team and after eight years of stubbornness, Jack and Sam finally decided that they shouldn’t let regulations stand in their way. By letting SG-1 fall apart it is easier to accept that the new SG-1 is going to be different and that Jack O’Neill is definitely gone. Another thing I really liked about the episode was the fact that Samantha Carter implies that she actually left the SGC to be with Jack. Which raises the interesting question how they’re going to bring Carter back, if that’s the reason she left.

The role of RDA in this episode I found a little disappointing. It’s not that he didn’t put up a good performance, but I thought that in the few episodes he did appear in he’d have a more pivotal role.

I really liked the wits of the early days back; the thing between the General and Mitchell, Mitchell’s struggle to put a team together, Valia’s comment on the similarities between Mitchell and Daniel and the whole thing between Daniel and Valia was priceless.

All in all a great season premier with a good plot, plus Michael Shanks looks really hot with a beard.