Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• SG-1 gets a much needed rejuvination.

As much as I love this show, I was fearing that it was starting to get into a rut the last couple of years. Aside from Daniel/Jonas switch and killing off Fraiser, it was mostly the same core cast and it seemed that some of the initial excitement of the show had died.
    So leave it to the producers to come up a brilliant way to rejuvinate it. Browder is perfect as Mitchell and while he may come off as a lighter version of O'Neill at first, he's starting to stretch, wanting to show his stuff as a leader and killing him he doesn't have the team to do it with. The scene of Mitchell interviewing possible replacements was hilarious.

And speaking of hilarious, Claudia Black unleashes the comedic timing she'd kept mostly hidden on "Farscape." In typical Stargate style, they get the obvious in-joke out of the way fast when Browder and Black meet "We haven't met before...I"d have remembered") and Black's calling on the similarity between Mitchell and Daniel was a great shout-out to fans.

Also good was the addition of Beau Bridges as Landry as we quickly see that unlike Hammond, he's rather impatient putting up with Daniel's rambling explanations and that he and MItchell seem to instantly respect each other is fun to watch. I can already tell Bridges is going to make this season fun.

Tackling the Arthur legend was probably invevitable and promises some fun with Mitchell and the sword. And the linking of Vara and Daniel indicates that every scene of them together is going to be great to watch.

Overall, a great premire that kicks off a new status quo for the series and makes it more 'need to watch' then it's been in years. Stargate still has some life left in it, which is good news for all sci-fi.