Stargate SG-1

Avalon (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 15, 2005 on Syfy

• A new "Classification" is needed: Why I Stopped Watching This Series.

But "Jump the Shark" will have to do. Although "Painful to watch" and "Bottom of the barrel" also fit here.

My main beef is with the choice of Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell taking over as head of SG-1. He is a totally wooden character who makes Joe Friday of Dragnet look like a Party Animal!

If a four member team was really needed, Stargate SG-1 had a ready made character to take Jack O'Neill's place as the new leader of SG-1. Colonel Dave Dixon (Adam Baldwin) from "Heroes Part 1" proved to be a very O'Neillish character type who would have meshed well with the rest of the team.

I also found it conniving, if not insulting, to conveniently "rewrite" events to suddenly make Mitchell a hero who led a squadron in engaging Anubis's forces and protecting SG-1 in the battle over Antarctica, losing his co-pilot, being shot down, but successfully destroyed an Al'kesh that helped SG-1 succeed with their mission.

This was in actuality done by Master Bra'tac and General Hammond in the Prometheus. Sure a squadron of F-302s did help (shades of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) but Mitchell (who does he think he is, Luke Skywalker?) was never acknowledged.

To me the only redeeming quality of this episode was the return of Vala. She's always good for a few laughs.