Stargate SG-1

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 13, 2004 on Syfy

• This episode really shows some aspects of Teal'c that can be overlooked but make him the character he is.

I thought this was an excellent episode. Even the opening, where Teal'c wins in seconds after all the "geeks" worked so hard to make it difficult fit nicely. It showed the difference between experience and determination and the "book learning" the others had. The episode also reminded us that playing with technology you don't understand is not always a good idea (which of course is a staple lesson in almost all shows or books in the sci-fi genre).

I liked how the game chair adapted to Teal'c. The chair could shock him since he would want to feel pain if he died in the game whereas the scientists looked at it more as an impartial video game and would expect death with no pain. The concept of the game no longer allowing a way out since Teal'c himself would normally never quit also played well into how that character was. Even though he did try to quit in the game, the game was treating it as real life and in a real life situation, Teal'c would not quit. And having his own psyche betray him into keeping the game going, exposing his doubt that it was possible to have a victory over the enemy in this case, also showed his thoughts. But of course, once he had Daniel Jackson with him, he knew victory may be possible and it was.

Some might say that some of the visual effects were cheesy when things turned into a video game view. I think it made it more realistic since the others were watching Teal'c thoughts and those graphics should be in a video game type of picture. I really liked the way they would cut from one type of view to the other.

Great episode.