Stargate SG-1

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 09, 2005 on Syfy

• Confusing episode. What's the purpose of it?

It was interesting to see the different way that POWs are treated on earth and with the Sodan. The Sodan warrior refuses to believe that he won't die without his symbiote and remain adamant about not trusting the humans or other Jaffa.
    Mitchell is healed also, but only so he can be trained for a battle to the death to avenge the "dead" warrior. It was a little obvious that the guy training him was going to be the one who fought him. I liked it that he was able to become somewhat good at the fighting technique. His work ethic did a lot to impress his trainer, which provided him a reason to trust Mitchell's comments about the Ori who have come to assert their god status with the Sodan. And it explained why he would help Mitchell fake his death but still be able to avenge his brother's blood.
    The reason this episode was confusing is that it didn't really seem like it did anything for the overall storyline. Okay, they let the Sodan warrior return home, but how is this going to affect anything unless the Sodan have a way of contacting SG-C. Hopefully they will have an episode where the reason for this one is explained.
  • Season 9 ... what a disappointment.

Alrighty, then. We give up. What in the WORLD are the producers thinking?! When we find ourselves looking at our watches 15 or 20 minutes into episodes ... and thinking we can't wait 'til it's over, something is way wrong. Forget Season 9 DVDs :-
  • Some will no doubt hate it because of the focus on Mitchell, but open-minded fans will enjoy it

Ever since Mitchell’s first appearance this season, I’ve been waiting for the writers to give us an episode devoted to the new commander of SG-1. A lot of the earlier episodes were devoted to Daniel and his motivations, with Mitchell being little more than the one applying pressure to get the team back together. His reactions have been muted during the rise of the Ori, giving Daniel room to maneuver. This time, though, it’s all about him.

I, for one, enjoyed it. I was getting worried that the writers were turning Mitchell into a John Crichton clone. This episode clarified the situation. While both characters use humor and pop-culture references to alleviate tension, Mitchell is a capable military officer. He’s not some fish out of water trying to survive, forced to lead despite himself. Mitchell is, at the core, the kind of man that O’Neill might have been before his life took that downward spiral after Charlie’s death.

Some elements of the story were a little predictable. Particularly, I was able to identify Jolan as Volnak’s brother (I think that was the name of the injured Warrior of Sodan) even before Jolan mentioned that the nearest relative would fight Mitchell to the death. Actually, I’m still not entirely clear on what the tradition was. OK, if a non-Warrior kills a Warrior, and the non-Warrior is captured, the non-Warrior is taught the ways of the Warriors so that he can die at the hands of a Warrior in a battle to the death…how does that make sense again?

That really doesn’t matter, though, since it’s all an excuse to have Mitchell there to deal with the invasion of a Prior among some of the most respected of legendary Jaffa. The situation is such that he’s the only one in the position to do something about it. For all their efforts with Volnak, the rest of the team makes very little progress. So it gives the writers a chance to show something of Mitchell’s character.

Mitchell recognizes that the Sodan leader, Haikon, has bought into the propaganda of the Prior. The Sodan tend to do whatever Haikon says they should do, and that means bowing down to “gods” that are just too hard to resist, especially when they are close enough to the Ancients that they already worship. Mitchell determines that the one way to get his message across to other Sodan is by gaining their respect. Thus, he trains harder than any non-Warrior ever has, hoping that it will be enough.

The resolution is stolen right out of the “Amok Time” handbook, and a possible revolution is sparked for good measure. I expect the Sodan to make another appearance relatively soon (and yes, I’m still avoiding spoilers, so I’m not going by that). The writers acknowledge it, at least!

One aspect I really liked were the hints about the politics of searching for Mitchell; apparently, the whole issue with the international committee is going to be an ongoing one. In past seasons, the political aspects of the show were sometimes less balanced, taking over too much or not enough of the story. This season, with the return to gate travel as the norm, the politics are still present but more integrated. Along with the positive focus on Mitchell as a distinct character and a vivid Sodan portrayal, that balance is what makes this episode work so well.
  • Mitchell

I liked watching this episode as it contained a lot of Mitchell. I loved the development of the character and is it me or is he getting hotter. Watching him getting all tired and sweaty ... what a turn on. I loved watching him putting on a brave face. I felt really upset when Daniel and Carter were trying to get Landry to issue a rescue mission and he said no and that he was going to declare Mitchell MIA. Stargate SG1 as per usual is great and the atmospheric tension is amazing. Oh I almost forgot about Teal'c. He is a legend.
  • Not one of the greater episodes. And the fight at the end was very Emancipation/The Warrior. So, not very original. But parts with half-naked Mitchell, more than make up for that.

I don't think this is one of the better SG-1 episodes. And the fight at the end was very Emancipation/The Warrior. So, not very original. But parts with half-naked Mitchell, more than make up for that.

Funny thing; at the start of the mission they’re all wearing something else on their heads. First there was Cameron Mitchell: backward cap as the though and defying USAF officer. Second there was Sam Carter: normal cap as the goody, goody, following protocol USAF officer. Then we have Daniel with his pirate/archeologists cap and Teal’c, as the warrior, without anything on his head.

The interrogation of the captured Jaffa was more funny the impressive. The fight wasn’t very original, but it was fun to watch. Jolan’s ‘betrayal’, though not very unexpected, was a nice story twist. But it wasn’t like I was for a moment convinced that Mitchell had died. The whole training up to the fight, I did like.
  • Not bad...

The focus in this episode is mainly on Mitchell, which some might not appreciate, but was needed nonetheless.
    Mitchell is the new face, he popped up from out of nowhere, and other than a couple of cliche flashbacks, we knew very little about him.

Though the setting for this episode is very unoriginal, and the story suffers from the same, it does work as a way to properly introduce us to the new leader of SG-1. by removing him from the team, he becomes less of an 'interloper', and can be appreciated as a character in his own right, rather than as 'O'Neill's replacement'.

• Mitchell gets pinched from his patrol of a planet by a squad of high tech ninjas. After killing one of their team in a skirmish, Mitchell is held accountable.

Not a particularly exciting episode overall, although it does have its moments.

Mitchell seems kind of doomed for much of the middle of the show, and this is hardly something that gets a viewer riveted.

There are some good action scenes, as one of the characters gets extensive hand-to-hand combat training.

The people of the village are kind of interesting - at least their situation is. However, it is hard to see that more episodes will be brought forth to extend this premise. If they do, the story line will have to be spiced up a bit.

This one just does not make it, in my book. It is not bad, just below average for the series.
  • Leading on...

This was interesting storyline which as some ground for the future events. Somehow it was too simple and had some very transparent storyline.

I liked the decorations on this episode - those houses, those flags, the whole environment. It had quite much action and all the thing with the invisible warrior, Mitchell missing and preparing for that fighting. But overall, it was quite simple episode, had nothing to offer - that kind of... it was ... I liked the culture the had but the Ori storyline.. I do not know.. it just somehow... they are really annoying but the episode did offered a view to another culture, tried to understand them. And the little different view.
  • Good episode...

This episode wasn't bad it may have taken a couple of story lines from the past but that is no big deal. The little fight scene they had was pretty good. It would have been better if it was longer. I liked the fact that this episode focused on Mitchell he is the new leader whether anyone likes it or not. In the episode SG1 is looking for an ancient band of Jaffa warriors. These guys would make very good allies especially with those in visibility gadgets. I would have actually liked to see Teal'c get captured instead of Mitchell. Later...
  • Ive seen this before

When watching this episode I couldnt help but get the feeling that I was watching "The Last Samurai" again. Although it was a good episode and I actually liked it, I still couldnt shake that feeling. But other than that it was good and it showed us more of Mitchell than we have seen on some episodes. We also learned some more about the Jaffa and the origen of their rebelian against the Gould. This episode also reminded me of older episodes in the way that they were looking for Mitchell. So all in all I will have to say that while not the best episode it was far from the worst.
  • Clichés abound in this otherwise decent episode.

While I like Ben Browder and the character of Mitchell, and especially appreciate that he's getting a character development episode, I was able to predict each and every plot point as it happened. I suppose the fact that the two brothers in the show are actually brothers helped give away their relationship, but there were many other points that were telegraphed far in advance.

However, this is not to say it was a bad episode. Browder is really coming into his own as a character, and the addition of a new set of potential allies or enemies is good as well. I'm glad to see them weaving in the Ori into every episode so far, as it's giving us a good idea of just how sinister and insidious they are.

I had only one other disappointment in this episode, and that is that Michael Shanks shaved his beard. As a man with facial hair, I always appreciate it when guys on TV wear it themselves.
  • The new team gets out into the field and searches for a long-lost group of J'affa.

Rather than a filler episode I would characterize this as character development. We have spent the better part of two seasons mostly on earth. To be the classic SG-1, the team needs to be out in the field. Following up a rumor about the long-lost J'affa the Sodan is a perfect excuse to get out in the field.

While out in the field they encounter the Sodan who are using Ancient technology (invisibility cloak, etc.) and think they are enemies because a prior (William B. Davis, the Cigarette Smoking Man of X-Files)has warned them about the T'auri and done the usual godly things - heal this sick, etc. As a result of the encounter Mitchell ends up a prisoner of the Sodan and one of the Sodan ends up a prisoner of the SGC. As pointed out in another review it was very interesting to see the different treatment of the two prisoners. Neither side tortured the other but the Sodan were clearly going to kill Mitchell in the honor match. A match he was expected to lose because he did not have Sodan training. He does receive some Sodan training and works his was into the respect and then trust of his captor who helps him escape by using pseudo-death inducing drug. In the end Mitchell and his new friend return to Earth and convince our prisoner who just turns out to be the brother of Mitchell's captor.

It is obvious they are going to revisit this as the Ori plotline develops. Perhaps their ancient weapons can help to defeat the Ori. While it may have been too coincidental that the two key Sodan were brothers, most drama is based on coincidence on at least some level. This was still an excellent episode. It was NOT filler, but I would take that label over bottom of the barrel. It was characterdeveopment.