Stargate SG-1

Bad Guys

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 18, 2007 on Syfy

• A competent, if average, stand-alone episode

The main issue with the tenth and final season of “SG-1” has been consistency. While many were shocked when the end of the series was announced, that was more a matter of timing. The series had managed to avoid the chopping block for half its life, after initial cancellation at the end of the fifth season on Showtime. Knowing all of that, it’s surprising how little time has been spent clearing the decks and wrapping up plot threads.

For instance, who expected the producers, with only a handful of episodes left, to trot out a stand-alone installment with only the most tenuous links to the overall season arc? Granted, this was the problem with the ninth season as well, and a problem with the second half of nearly every season for shows given this “split season” format. The first half seems to be dominated by plot-heavy material, and the second half seems to deviate into stand-alone territory.

Knowing all of this, it would be easy to dismiss this episode and let frustration take its toll. That would be an unfortunate mistake, because taken on its own, this is a fairly amusing episode. No matter how serious the situation seems to get, there’s an underlying comic touch. This has been the hallmark of the series since its inception (though it was once a bit more subtle), and this episode keeps the tradition alive.

Beyond its surprising entertainment value, the episode is notable for its unusual guest star. Joshua Malina is better known for his dramatic work (“West Wing”, “A Few Good Men”) and his dry comic delivery than his appearances in genre television. At first, I thought my eyes and ears were deceiving me! Malina’s presence is both positive and negative. It’s positive in that it lends a certain legitimacy to the series, even at this late hour, but negative in that his character lacks depth and his performance pales to his better-known work.

That said, this is “SG-1”, and few members of the audience are looking for scripts on the level of an Aaron Sorkin. It’s all about the entertainment value, and the episode delivers that (and some twists and turns) rather well. If one can overcome the frustration of yet another stand-alone episode when so little time remains until the end, this is a pleasant hour’s worth of diversion.
  • Since when could they go into incoming wormholes??

5.9
    I have watched stargate since the very beginning and i have every box set available. I really enjoyed this episode until they mentioned waiting for general landry to dial in so that they could jump out.

The reason that they got stuck on that planet with "Ernest" was because they couldn't go through an incoming wormhole. Wormhole's only go one way so they had to fashion a lightning rod to get power to the DHD.

Ruined it for me, i hope they stay away from more plotholes like this.

Scott =op
  • Oh Daniel...

I like this ep. more then Bounty. I like no Carter in this ep., I don't know why exactly but in season 9 and 10 I found her really boring!I love to see Daniel a little out from his caracther, he is so funny and nice! He try to pretend to be a bad guys but doesn't work! It's too funny how him is pissed off about the situation and suddenly he start to jell at the girls! Luckely Vala, after Bounty, is came back the same Vala of this season, nice banter between Vala/Daniel and Vala/Cameron!
  • This episode was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I should start out by saying the Road Not Taken and line in the sand were far from brilliant in my opinion. I did really enjoy bounty, Shroud and Quest II, but this episode I was rather worried about. I'm not usually a big fan of filler episodes. But this was really good. And I do understand the complaints that some people will undoubtedly have with it. But I think the good points outweigh the negative.

The episode starts out with them briefing the general about a planet where they may be a weapons cache belonging to Athena there. Daniel points out that the planet is significant in some ways because the writing on the walls seems out of order, and could possibly be another dialect. It turns out it's not, you'll understand in a minute.

Alrighty, the team minus Carter, because she is currently trying to explain the episode road not taken to the President, and the General makes a joke about how the president is having trouble getting his head around the fact that he is not the president in the alternate reality. Anyway, the team heads to the planet, and while investigating, come across Goa'uld artefacts inside museum cases. Teal'c hears music, followed shortly by Mitchell, they go to investigate, only to realise they are inside a vast museum, where an exhibition of sorts is taking place.

Mitchell and Teal'c return to the 'gate room' and inform the others that they are leaving. They try to dial the gate only to realise the buttons aren't buttons. Mitchell races to the back of the DVD and pulls the thing apart to discover that the thing is fake. The opening credits then roll.

We rejoin the team, and they discuss about how they only need to remain there for six hours before Earth redials the gate at which time a laptop with a dialling sequence and a naquadah generator can be sent through. They decide that the best option is to remain out of sight. All of a sudden a man and woman come out of nowhere and start to make out. After changing positions several times, they split up and see the team. No one knows what to do, but they try to keep calm. Whereupon the woman starts to scream and runs away, followed by the man.

We then cut to the hall with all the people in it, and you hear the woman screaming in the distance but getting louder as she comes towards the congregation. As she and the man come out, so to do Mitchell and Teal'c. The woman shouts rebels and there is mass panic. People start pulling out machine guns and Mitchell and Teal'c are just able to get into cover. AS everyone is trying to escape, one of the guards completely destroys and exhibit case, an alarm sounds and massive frames of metal bars come down locking them inside the museum.

Within minutes SG-1 are in control of the scene, apart from the fact that they are locked up. Shortly afterwards over the radio comes a call to speak to the rebels. Daniel takes the radio and tries to explain that there has been a big misunderstanding. Understandably it works, and after a discussion with the team it is decided to play the role of hostage takers, and after a surprising revelation about one of the museum staff actually believing their story about being from another planet, they make demands that would be made by rebels on that planet. The team plus this guy called Cicero split up, Mitchell Vala and Cicero go exploring and Teal'c and Daniel stay on guard with the few hostages they have.

While the three of them are exploring they see something up ahead in a corridor. Mitchell asks if that is what he thinks it is. Vala says, 'No, that is a naquadah bomb' Mitchell replies with, 'For the record, that's what I thought it was'. Rather comical. Moving on. As they carry on exploring we learn that there was actually a security guard who was not in the hall when it went down. He then takes it upon himself to resolve the situation. He calls on his radio to the outside and they tell him that he is not part of their plan, and that he should find a hiding place and stay there. He interprets this as, they know the radio is being bugged, they want him to take action. They don't, they meant what they said. He goes off with a tiny pistol with four barrels. I'm sure I've seen something like it elsewhere.

Anyway, Mitchell and Vala try to get at the bomb, except it's part of an exhibit, they need the bomb, because they might be able to use the naquadah to power the gate, manually dial it, and get the hell out of there. They're trying to get at it, but it needs a security card, something they don't have because Cicero is a scientist of sorts. Vala tries to break into it, by using traditional theft gear. It's basically a pair of those, I don't know what they're called. They're circular on one side, and have a handle on the other side. On the handle is a lever of sorts which you push in again and again when the other side is resting against a flat surface. The lever pulls the air out forming a vacuum holding the handle to the glass. She attaches two of these, cuts around them and pulls off the glass. All while reciting the steps necessary to remove an artefact that is alarmed. At step four she puts her hands underneath the artefact, and it all goes wrong. Mitchell is just able to pull her out of the way from the iron bars that come rapidly descending from the roof. Vala picks herself up and remarks upon step one on how to remove an artefact from an exhibit that's locked away behind iron bars.

While the Mitchell Vala and Cicero story line continues, we keep intermittently cutting to Daniel trying to negotiate with the chief negotiator. He's such a brilliant hostage taker because what he's been told to demand by Cicero is what the negotiator makes quite clear they won't be getting. He keeps trying to be nice because he was against this plan, only to have Teal'c look at him, and Daniel would try to recover. An example is they ask for various prisoners to be released and the man says it will take time. Daniel immediately responds by saying, 'take all the time you need, talk to each person that you need to'. Teal'c looks at him, and Daniel tries to cover by saying, 'but don't you screw with us, don't you take too long'. It's brilliant because he's so out of place.

While this is going on the security guard creeps up and takes them hostage. Makes Cicero take their weapons. He says he's gonna go down the corridor and make sure the area is clear and then Cicero can bring them round. The guy runs off, and Cicero hands them back their weapons. They go and capture him and tie him up. Unfortunately while all this goes on Cicero runs away, runs outside and into the hands of the army and negotiators and police and people. We don't see her do it, but Vala manages to get the bomb free and they take it to the gate room. While they are trying to hook it up we see Cicero trying to explain to the authorities that he was right about them being from another planet.

The authorities decide to go in, just as they manage to dial the gate. As they run to the gate security forces come out from all directions and stop them. After a conversation between Mitchell and the person in charge about how there are enough enemies out there without Earth and this planet becoming enemies, they finally go through the gate. The security guard talks of how he was right and the potential of the Stargate, but the man in charge tells him that in fact he managed to kill all four hostage takers and that they were rebels. Cicero objects, and the man says that he can quite easily change the story to the security guard saving all the hostages bar one. hint hint, kill him.

We then cut to the SGC and they're discussing the fact that they have not been able to re-establish a connection with the planet and that they most probably buried their gate.

I really liked this episode, despite the fact that it was a filler episode rather than Ori related. And despite the fact that there was no Carter, the show quite clearly held its own. The comical moments were good, especially Daniel trying to be a bad guy. This was a very good episode, especially as it's one of the last with this crew. Seeing these four together, it makes you wonder how things might have turned out if Carter had gone the same way as O'Neill and it had been just these four.

A good episode, a good series, a good show. I know I'll miss it.
  • Back to basics!

A rather enjoyable episode. It vaguely reminded me of episodes from earlier seasons when SG1 were busy making first contact with other worlds rather then battling the Goa'uld, Anubis or the Ori. Of course there was no MacGyver and Carter was absent.

I chuckled when Mitchell made reference to one of the antagonists going all 'John McLean'(Bruce Willis' character in the Die Hard movies) and Daniel was puzzled by the reference and it was Teal'c who made sense of it to Daniel.

It's going to be sad to see this great series leaving the airwaves, but I guess we have Atlantis and perhaps an SG1 movie to look forward to!
  • SG-1 as terrorists. Oh the irony.

An excellent episode, well written around Ben Browders initial idea.
    SG-1, minus Carter, end up arriving in a museum through the 'gate, to what they discover is a first contact situation. In their attempt to leave quickly without being noticed, they discover the DHD is in fact a plastic replica and they are stuck!
    They then decide to wait 6 hours until the SGC contact them on schedule, and then request a dialing computer, but of course this doesn't go to plan either. Their presence is discovered by party goers, and the fact they are all brandishing weapons really doesn't help their case. They are mistaken for terrorist rebels, and the museum is sent into lock-down.
    They are then left with the options of releasing the hostages and risking the law enforcement, stalling for 6 hours until they can get the 'gate working, or finding a naquadah generator in one of the exhibits to power the 'gate for manual dialing.
    Add the complications of a rogue security guard with delusions of grandeur, and Daniels less than orthodox hostage negotiation methods, and this makes for very good viewing.
  • Very funny. (and a note to the review before me regarding going out an incoming wormholes)

I had to respond to the previous review... About wondering why they were going to go out an incoming wormhole. If you paid attention you'd realize they were going to wait for Landry to dial in and *send* them the tools they need to dial out. (A naquadah generator and a laptop with a dialing program)

Anyway, now that that is over. This episode was hilarious. I laughed all the way through it. Unfortunately, it was filler. Which is why I didn't give it a 10. I wanted more on the Ori. This is the last season, the last episodes. Why not go out with a bang and make all the remaining episodes about the ori.

Oh well.
  • A night in the museum (SPOILERS).

While Carter is still in Washington debriefing the President on the events of "The Road no taken" the team goes to a rutinary mission only to get caught inside of a museum set on a planet without previus first contact or a dial device to go back home: Jackson and Mitchell vote to hide until a party that’s taking place on the main room is over but Vala wants to go and pose as guests with Teal’c, none of them gets their wish as two of the attendings crash on their party and mistake them all for rebels. Vala takes charge as Daniel is too much of a nice guy to negotiate like a bad ass rebel should, which should explain why he gets zapped at the first attempt to gain control by the police when they came in for the wounded, even though Mitchell agrees this is no way to make first contact he does have a couple of words with the people in charge for zapping their "sunshine" and Teal’c sinisterly stunts a hostage to keep things quiet for awhile. Luckily for them, a scholar believes their story and helps them out to get a naquadah generator (to dial manually) and to convince his superiors there’s life out there.

A night guard and two girls fighting over the same boy provide the comic relieve as well as some nice moments by Dr. Jackson trying to keep adequate etiquette and discipline among his hostages while maintaining the tone required by Teal’c to pose as rebel among the authorities, I was glad to see only the four of them interact for awhile, considering these were the last 3 members to ever join SG1 and a lighter episode that gave us a chance to remember their adventures together back at the first half of season 9.
  • SG-1 are put in an strange position when they are mistaken for rebels looking for revenge!!!

This was a great episode...Another original episode, that had both adventure and unpredictability...I enjoyed it a lot, because it was interesting to see the SG-1 team in another posture...Before they were the "Jandarm of the Galaxy" fighting the Ori or the Lucien Alliance, or other "bad guys", but in this episode they are mistakenly taken for negative characters, who came there with the intention to kill a lot of people...Another element with made me like a lot more this episode were the humorous moments, that were present here, as well as in the majority of the episodes...All in all, this is another great installment.
  • Sg1 arrive on a civilized planet one that appeared to be alot like earth, but they are in a museum not a temple or anything like that. Before they can get oout of there they are discovered. They are thought to be rebels, but nobody wants to hear different

This was an unique episode. the Sg1 have to have hostages..That is a new look for them.
    Danirl did ok with the negoiations. Even tho' he accomplished nothing but buying them some time and not much of it.
    Mitchel and Vala find and anaquada bomb. They can use it for a power sorce to open the gate with.
    It was a fun show, it had a little buit of ecitement I believe this one was done for entertainment and that it did a good job of it.
    It was kinda funny seeing Daniel trying to deal with the hostage women when they got in th cat fight. That was funny.
    I liked Teal'c's idea of how to handle hostages, but of course I guess he has done this before. Mitchel and vala were really good teamed up. Should try that more often..Or I gues they could have. There was an excellent repore between them.
    I enjoeyed this one for so many different reasons.
  • funny...

SG-1 is mistaken for a group of rebels when they travel to a planet with technology not far from their own. In the end, SG-1 is able to go home and the planet pretends they were never there. Overall, it was a funny episode. There were many funny moments and a lot of good humor. It was really funny watching Daniel try to be a terrorist; he did a terrible job. The story was pretty interesting also. I also thought the random security guard was halarious. He was terrible and he thought he was being a hero. Overall, good funny episode.
  • For those who said SG1 was going through an incoming whormhole, that is not acurate!

I've read a review of this episode stating that there was a plot hole, because SG1 went through an incoming whormhole. That is not true.
    As Vala said, they were waiting for SGC to contact them so they could ask for a naquadah generator and a laptop with the dialing program, so they could produce an OUTGOING whormhole and go home.
    Since Vala found the goaul'd bomb, they finally created the whormhole by manually dialing the gate, and using the energy of the bomb to power it.
    So, you see, no plot hole there!!!! (I know the previous reviewer explained that, but since this mistake is the responsible for me signing in at TV.com, to correct it, I felt impelled to state it again! :P)

That being cleared, I must say I loved the episode, although I missed Sam a bit. I was surprised to see Vala having so much technical knowledge, but, after all, she had a goaul'd once.
    I loved the humor, the Die Hard reference, Danny not taken seriusly by his captives, SG1 being "the bads" for once...

I know it's a filler episode, but still, it's a great fill. I am not that caught up by the Ori storyline, so a change is interesting to me. There have been terrible fillers, but this one was just great. It put SG1 in a position we had never seen before, it had characters displaying at their best, and the humor was great!

This kind of episodes are exactly why I love Stargate so much!