Stargate SG-1

Bane

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 1998 on Syfy

7.9
  • NASTY CRITTERS

In episode #32 Teal'c is infected with deadly venom from a giant insect, and begins a terrible transformation. When he escapes the S.G.C., SG-1 must find him before Colonel Maybourne does. The creepy flying and crawley insects that threaten our heroes in this episode are really nasty and quite deadly. They look like giant mutant mosquitoes. This is my second favourite episode of the second season right behind episode #27 titled 'Need.' It starts when Teal'c is bitten by an alien bug off world. When the doctors examine him at SGC, they discover that the bug's genetic DNA is converting Teal'c's DNA. What's worse is that the Goa'uld within Teal'c is dying as it tries to slow the transformation. The suspense heightens when Teal'c escapes while being transported by Maybourne's team (who else but him) to another facility. Teal'c is able to hide inside a dark, abandoned building in Colorado Springs City, while both Maybourne's officers and SGC's search for him. Back at SGC, they discover that Teal'c is actually undergoing a metamorphoses, and will soon transform into several of the bugs. The clock ticks away but O'Neill and Jackson find Teal'c just as he is about to die.

This episode has action, suspense, a good score, comedy (some from Teal'c), and most importantly good acting (Colleen Rennison gives a good performance as Ally - Teal'c's friend in the building - making Ally seem both genuine and natural). Although the Goa'uld storyline is completely ignored here, this is an entertaining episode that shouldn't be missed.
  • Below Average

6.9
    This is one of the worst episodes in the history of the series. This is the episode that made me hate Maybourne even more but he is still one of the best villains in the show. The scenes with him and Jack are the highlight of the episode and the "Permission to beat the crap out of this man" line was one of my favorite O'Neill lines. The story is pretty lame and kind of a Sci-Fi cliché. Ali was a pretty funny little girl and the "I don't like the way you smell" line was hilarious. The last scene was great and the look on Daniels face was priceless. Overall one of the worst in the series but at least there was some decent humor.
  • Teal'c takes candy from a baby.

Or more precisely, chocolate from a child. He does repay her in the end with a present of a new gun of "increased range and firepower".

Teal'c is unleashed onto an unsuspecting public after being infected by an alien insect. It is interesting to see him forming a friendship with a little kid. The kid actor does a good job in creating an endearing character. Politics and prejudice also play a thematic role in this episode, one example being the attitude of the geneticist who is asked to help cure Teal'c. He sees Teal'c as an interesting subject for study more than as a person who needs help. A decent Teal'c episode, although it could have been better paced.
  • Teal'c gets stung by a big honkin' bug!

This was a pretty enjoyable episode, with some good guest stars and a fairly interesting plot line. I really loved the set for the planet of the bugs, it just looked really cool. I classified this episode as filler because the episode before it sets up The Tok'ra parts one and two and this episode just seemed a little out of place in between them. That doesn't mean the episode was bad, but it was however, merely average for SG-1 ( which means it's still 100x better than most shows). I loved seeing Col Maybourne again, for some reason I've always liked him even though he's a "bad" guy, probably because I first saw him in season 4 when he was more helpful than harmful.
  • Bugs.. nasty bugs...

7.1
    It was not bad episode but it did not gave us nothing and I did not liked the storyline - it showed us that Teal'c is humane but he still has some jaffa effects and the scenes with that little lovely girl, were great.

But the all storyline - the bug thing, and dying and then the run away, and the whole team.. They did not looked great and I do not know - they were quite helpless, most of the screentime was given to Teal'c and most of the time, he ran and then started to became cocoon. They have done greater episodes.
  • ok episode...

The SG-1 team goes to a planet that is mysteriously deserted and come in contact with native bugs. One bug stings T'ealc and they find out that T'ealc will become several bugs if they don't stop it. T'ealc runs away and meets a girl who helps him. In the end, they save T'ealc. The episode was pretty predicatable, but it had good moments. The whole part between the girl and T'ealc was a little boreing, but it was funny at the end when T'ealc gave her a new water gun. Overall, the episode was average. Nothing special, nothing too bad.
  • Teal'c is dying from a bug bite, and the Goa'uld symbiote can't help him. This is one of my favourite SG1 episodes.

The first time I saw this episode was when it first aired, back when I was only 10 years old. Although it was one of the first episodes I'd ever seen, I knew that it would remain one of my favourites.

The action starts when Teal'c is bitten by an alien bug off world. When the doctors examine him at SGC, they discover that the bug's genetic DNA is converting Teal'c's DNA. What's worse is that the Goa'uld within Teal'c is dying as it tries to slow the transformation. The suspense heightens when Teal'c escapes while being transported by Maybourne's team (who else but him) to another facility. Teal'c is able to hide inside a dark, abandoned warehouse in the city, while both Maybourne's officers and SGC's search for him. Back at SGC, they discover that Teal'c is actually undergoing a metamorphoses, and will soon transform into several of the bugs. The clock ticks away but Jack and Daniel find Teal'c just as he is about to die.

This episode has action, suspense, a good score, comedy (some from Teal'c), and most importantly good acting (Colleen Rennison gives a good performance as Ally -Teal'c's friend in the warehouse- making Ally seem both genuine and natural). Although there is no progression in the Goa'uld story-line, this is an entertaining episode that shouldn't be skipped.
  • Another one of the lesser episodes from season 2, but this one has its good points.

I seem to be picking the "Not my favourite storyline" quite a bit for episodes from the first 2 seasons. Unfortunately more than a few of them aren't up to par with the later episodes, but a true SG-1 fan has to take the good episodes with the bad. However, this is one of those lesser episodes that have its positive notes, which saves it from being a complete disaster. Let's start first of all with the bad points. This is a really silly episode that perhaps really suffers from taking itself too seriously. It's also a bit boring at times, and some of the dialogue is a bit wince inducing too. Now let’s consider the episodes good points. First of all the character of Ally, who could've been a really cutesy, irritating character, manages to come across as likeable and realistic, and the relationship she forms with Teal'c doesn't seem forced. There are also some great little bits of humour thrown in, some of it not coming from O'Neill. However, perhaps the strongest aspect of this episode (in my opinion) is what I would consider the first signs of what would become such great chemistry between O'Neill and Maybourne. I love any and every moment they share on screen together, and this episode shows the first true signs of that bitterness that would eventually turn into a sort of love/hate respect and reliance.

Now, once again this is a tricky episode to sum-up. On the one hand, I would recommend it to any soon-to-be SG-1 fan on the basis of the O'Neill/Maybourne chemistry seeding alone. However, they probably won't realise the importance of this at the time of its viewing. Once again, I'll leave the choice up to you.
  • Teal'C is attacked by an insect and begins to change into one of the alien bugs.

Another good Teal'c episode. When he leaves the SG base, he makes friends with a little girl. Episodes about people turning into monsters are always cool. The actress who played the little girl was really sympathetic since her dad was killed in the line of duty. Maybourne is as annoying as always when he wants to take the bugs back for study as a weapon for the US government. I think Jack really expressed the way I feel when he asked Hammond if he could beat the crap out of Maybourne. Overall, this is a real good episode for Teal'C fans.