Stargate SG-1

Beast of Burden

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 10, 2001 on Syfy

• I know a lot of people don't like this episode, but hear me out before you disagree with me. This is such an important (and great) episode!

First of all, I do not like Michael Shank's acting abilities in most of the "Daniel" episodes, but for once, he gave a good performance. This episode features the misunderstood race of the Unas.

SG-1 had done a few episodes - before this one - that dealt with the issue of slavery, however, this is the first time that I actually felt pity for the people being enslaved. Don't get me wrong, the other times were horrible too, but the Unas are essentially cavemen, unable to communicate with others outside of their tribes (managing a few words with Daniel) and technologically inferior than those that created the wheel.

I also really liked the story. One of the reasons I don't like when Daniel is the lead of an episode is because it usually deals with a woman/love interest, and his weak performances in these situations always seem awkward. This episode is more about friendship an humanity, two of Daniel's best attributes. I don't want to give it away, but the ending was great. I couldn't have imagined it going any other way. However, there was one awkward moment when Daniel dramatically takes off his glasses, to enhance the emotion in the scene. Knowing (from several episodes) how bad Daniel's vision is without his glasses, I found this humourous, and it spoiled the moment. In some moments (not many of course), I find that the Unas give really good performances.

This was a great episode. I really liked it when I first saw it, and it will remain one of my favourites for all time.