Stargate SG-1

Beneath the Surface

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 01, 2000 on Syfy

• Save for the one big joke and the audio commentary, this is one of the biggest disappointments from season 4.

I think it's accurate to say that this is one of my least favourite episodes ever. I doubt I'll ever watch this one again (or at the very least, definitely not in the next year or so), and for very good reason.

There are only a few good things about this episode. The first one is the big joke I mentioned in my summary. Every fan is, or at least should be, familiar with the "Homer" joke, and it is a classic SG-1 joke for sure. It's possible to justify this episode's existence purely for the joke, but the package the joke comes in could have been a lot better.

There was one sequence I liked in particular, where O'Neill is staring at the upside-down bowl and it morphs into the dome. There were also some other little humorous bits I liked, and the audio commentary by Peter DeLuise is (as always) hilarious, but really that's about it.

Now on to the bad things. For one, I didn't like the story, and it's hardly original. Secondly the performances of the brainwashed team were at times quite painful to watch (hence the classification), as was some of the dialogue between them (and in particular those between Daniel and I think it's Kegan). There were also some sequences that were very badly executed, such as when Caulder shoots Brenna in the arm rather than killing her.

In conclusion, this is one of my least favourite episodes ever. It has a few good elements, but on the whole this episode is just one big misfire.