Stargate SG-1

Brief Candle

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 1997 on Syfy

• Replicator Preview

The team arrives at a planet paradise and upon being greeted Jack eats some pizza and unbeknown-st to him it means he is now married. It also means he is infected by nanites. The nanites attack his system and he starts to age rapidly along with the rest of the population. It's up to the rest of the team to try and find a cure not only for him but for everyone on the planet.

For me this is just a so so episode. Rapid aging episodes generally mean really bad aging makeup and just an overdone trite story. This is certainly the case here. There is nothing new here except for the Nanites that will become something much more later
  • The dreaded nanites make their first appearance

Planet Argos is a planet filled with good looking, happy and very friendly people. Jack gets propositioned by a (gorgeous) woman ... well, it's more like -> she drugs him and they end up sleeping together.
    Unfortunately, not all is as good as it seems on this planet. We find out that this village was an experiment from a Goa'uld - he infected them with nanites (nano-technology robots) which speed up the aging process, effectively rendering the age span of the people on this planet 100 or so days. No wonder they were living each day like it was their last!
    Of course the ... ehmm ... bodily contact with the woman (whom, by their customs, turns out to be her wife) makes Jack infected with these nanites as well. So, the clock is ticking to save Jack's life ... and, nope, you guessed wrong. Sam and Janet can't save his life and they actually give up on the process. What saves him is pure luck - in an act of rebellion, the villagers, after being told the true story about their "creator", destroy his statue and ... lo and behold, deus ex machina, they find a machine that activates and deactivates the nanites. Obviously it's not a problem for the Sam/Daniel combo to figure out how to switch them off and save Jack's life and give the villagers of the planet a full life in the process.

The people of Argos have an open society but they suffer from rapid aging. After O'Neill has somehow been infected with the same affliction as the Argosians the rest of SG-1 must race to find a cure. Will they find it in time, or will the Argosians and O'Neill lose the battle to live longer. This episode is jam packed with mystery, action and even a bit suprising is Kynthia a young Argosian woman who seduces O'Neill. Brief Candle is a perfect ten that I Tracey K. Nameth call "an experience that shows life on the edge because life is short!"
  • Jack gets old. D'oh.

SG-1 travels to a planet that appears to be a paradise, but when Jack and the rest of the villager all fall asleep at once the team gets concerned. They learn the Goa'uld who controlled the planet had created a virus and Jack is infected. Then Jack gets really really old. I found this episode to be pretty enjoyable overall, we get to see Jack's character fleshed out a little more. This episode is the first episode to show evidence of the Goa'uld's pursuit of an advanced host. By shortening the lifespans of the Argosians the Goa'uld hoped to see the end result of human evolution. This pursuit of the perfect host is visited in many later episodes. It may have been a filler episode, but it's a good filler episode.
  • SG-1 travel to Argos and meet a civilazation of people who age much faster than normal.

Another mediocre episode involving rapid aging. Typical outset, O'neill is somehow aging many, many times faster than normal after sleeping with a local women. A yawn here and there, the most interesting part of this episode to me was when they found out it was some kind of transmitter bult in to they statue they worshiped. Now i'll admit, seeing O'neill age to the point where he looks like he's 80 was funny at first but got old, fast, and I mean fast, almost as fast as the rapid aging process of the Argosians.
    In the end what can I say, it was a filler episode with a plot that Star Trek used to death. Overall below average.
  • Getting old.. quickly..

I liked the idea of this episode but the storyline and how the story was built - it was not the best. I did not saw much point in this episode nor was there action. To be honest, it had not of many things I expect from episode of SG-1. They had, again, gorgeous costumes and again the idea of overcoming gods, so that was nothing new. Even thought they tried, the emotional effect of realizing there is more than some days to live, should have been more powerful. The idea was great but the way it was brought and done - it was weak.
  • Poor Jack gets old...really old

I love this episode. The team goes to a planet and meets a society of Romanesque people, who age really really fast. Jack gets exposed to what is making them age, and thus starts aging ahead of his time. Carter, Daniel and Teal'c head back to SGC to fix the problem. They figure out that nanites have infected Jack and are causing him to age. An EMP later and everyone is back to normal. It seems like it wouldn't be as good as it was, but it was well written with plenty of funny Jack sarcasm moments and frustrated or confused Daniel, Carter, and Teal'c glances. Overall very good.
  • pretty good episode...

This episode is pretty good, not the best, but not that bad. The SG-1 team travels to a world that is set in the Roman era. They say they are chosen and they live life with parties, but when the sun goes down they all "fall asleep" at the same time and wake up when the sun comes up. A woman seduces Jack and he is infected with the virus. It causes him to age rapidly and the team stugggles to try to save him before it's too late. In the end, they stop the virus and Jack goes back to his younger self. This episode has a lot of funny moments and has a pretty good story line and is, overall, a pretty good episode.
  • Good but not great...

This was a pretty good episode. I liked the whole idea of O'Neill aging super fast. he did a good job playing an old guy. It was so funny though when he first started aging and his forehead was like super big and then when he turns into an older guy he had hair longer than Carter's. It was all because he ate some special cake. It was kinda weird though how everyone's life span was only 100 days. I don't know how they would have any time to learn anything like how to talk. But in the end they figured out how to stop the fast aging and the people of the planet could be normal. Later...
  • Decent episode

This is not one of my favorite episodes but it does have its good bits. I liked the culture of this particular planet mostly the fact that they lived life to its fullest because they did not have a long life to begin with. I did not like Jack’s Captain Kirk routine but it did service the story and I think he learned his lesson. The best part of this episode was the performance by Richard Dean Anderson especially with the makeup on. This was also the episode that introduced nanotechnology that would play a big part in future episodes.
  • Living each day to the fullest takes on new meaning when Jack O'Neill gets infected with an aging virus that leaves him with only days to live. (And he gets married!)

SG1 encounters a Greek-like village where each person only lives to be a hundred days (not years) old. Jack O'Neill is drugged by an affectionate woman and the elopes with her the same day. This of course is like a year to Kynthia (his wife). Before Daniel and Teal'c can translate the writings in the village temple, Jack is infected with nano-bots that cause the rapid aging. The rest of SG1 must return to Earth to find a cure, while Jack remains in the village. While in the village, Jack ages from 40 to 80 in a matter of days. In his anger, Jack informs the villagers that their god is fake, and that their original purpose was an experiment by the Gua'ulds to examine human evolution. Although with these actions, Jack becomes a catalyst for evolution, and the villagers evolve from god fearing people, to explorers and humanists. SG1 find the solution to stopping the rapid aging, and reversing the damage done to Jack. Fortunately by this time, Jack and all the others learn one of the most important lessons a person can learn, to treasure every day of your life. This episode proclaims the value of life and time. This was a fantastic episode with GREAT acting by Richard Dean Anderson.
  • Nice Performance by Richard Dean Anderson. Not my favorite, but not the worst episode I've seen.

This wasn't the best episode I've seen, but it did keep me interested throughout.

The episode mainly revolved around O'Neill turning older every day and SG-1 trying to figure away to help him and the people from the other world who only lived 100 days.

I thought Richard Dean Anderson did a great job acting as he got older and older, it was believable. I also thought the makeup artist did an excellent job to make his face and hands look like he was aging.

In the end, I don't see how he could have returned to his normal appearance, but the writers had to make something up. After all, no one would watch a show where SG-1 was headed by an 80 year old man.

All in all I think the writers did a great job and Anderson performed it well.
  • An age-old (no pun intended) scifi cliche, made tolerable by a great performance from O'Neill and some clever bits of humour.

O'Neill pays the price for going the way of Captain Kirk, and turns into old man within days...that's pretty much how one could sum up this episode. The concept is nothing original, but then again most things these days aren't, and all that matters is if something's entertaining. This episode was, to a degree.

The episode is unfortunately a bit silly at times, and does still take itself too seriously (a flaw in most episodes from the first season). Despite this, it is at times funny, showing early signs of hope of what the series would eventually become. Also despite the silliness, Richard gives a great performance under all that makeup, which is very realistic, making the episode that bit more enjoyable.

So, like Cold Lazarus, it's hard to judge whether this is an episode to show people new to the series. It does introduce us to the nanite technology, but arguably the flashback sequence in "Politics" is sufficient. Then again, a friend of mine loves this episode, so I guess it's all down to personal taste and preference.
  • Jack eats something he shouldn't of while off-world and pays the consequences.

As SG-1 steps through the Stargate on to a planet called Argos, they hear a woman who appears to be in a great deal of pain, just to discover that she is in labor. They automatically assume that Sam know all about children because she’s a woman Jack asks her to help the woman, but Sam doesn’t know anything about kids. It’s then that Daniel brings up the fact that he’s done it before when he was working as an anthropologist in Africa (I believe it was), so Daniel delivers the baby boy successfully, and they are invited to a local festival because of it.

After SG-1 have been on the planet for a couple of hours Jack makes the mistake of eating the local food, cake ironically, and they find out later that it was a special kind of cake used by woman to seduce men. And thus Jack ends up in bed with Kynthia (the dumb broad who seduced him…duh). And then he passes out…actually everyone does except for SG-1!

When they do some searching as to what happened to Jack they find out that the people only live for 100 DAYS!! But to them it is like a hundred years. Jack begins to age rapidly as Sam returns home to find out what is causing his rapid ageing. While analyzing Jack’s blood she find that there are nanobots (I think that’s what they’re called) in everyone’s blood that causes them all to age much faster than a normal human, and the cause of it is a statue of an old Goa-uld that used to rule over the planet many years ago, and after destroying it Jack goes back to normal.

My favorite thing about this episode was the make-up. It was simply amazing the way they aged Jack 100 years in just a few hours. It’s probably some of the best work I’ve ever seen. The setting of Ancient Rome was really cool too. This was another okay eppie, and it really shows the hard work they put into making this show.
  • O'Neill learns that a one night stand has caused him to being to age rapidily. He ages a year every day, and he must find a cure or he will be dead within two weeks.

Agreed, this is an interesting concept and I think it was done right. Anderson came through again and made a convincing, and sometimes funny, aging O'Neill. Time has proven again and again that you have to be careful with what you do with cultures you are not familiar with, he had to learn the hard way. There wasn't that much in the special effects department on this episode, but the make up on Anderson that made him age was very well done. He went from losing hair to becoming very old. What would we do if we only knew we had a short time left? That question is asked, be we always have to give the answer.
  • Interesting concept, adequately conveyed, but a BAD O'Neill episode.

Humans have always pondered the briefness of their lives and most make attempts at living life to the fullest after coming to terms with the fact that our time is quite limited, but this episode takes the "limited time" concept to the extreme by taking the team to visit a society populated entirely by unwitting human test subjects with a shelflife of a mere 100 days.

I'm not sure if the science for this episode is sound; I'm not convinced a sped-up aging process would trigger a fast-acting evolution of the species, though I'm not as versed as others on the exacts of evolution so I can't comment with any certainty on the plausibility of this experiment, but it seems pretty far fetched in my admittedly undereducated opinion. Then again, a lot of this series is "far fetched" despite it's best effort to come off as plausible.

I liked the set in this one. The statues looked well done and the overall "chosen land" generally looked like a paradise as it was meant to be.

As becomes the norm for offworld human civilizations in Stargate, the people of this world are polite, soft spoken, not in the habit of using many contractions and ARE in the habit of enunciating like crazy.

What I didn't get about Kynthia was that she KNEW Jack and company weren't from "around there" and wouldn't be familiar with the customs of her society and yet she seemed confused when Jack acted shocked after he was enlightened to having participated in an Argosian marriage.

My biggest criticism is that Richard Dean Anderson played Old Jack HORRIBLY. Why on EARTH did the character suddenly become a puttering, cranky old codger with a hick accent? To me, getting old real fast doesn't necessitate becoming cantankerous and Southern. I didn't hear Sam or Frasier say anything about the nanocytes altering ones PERSONALITY along with ones age. Wouldn't Old Jack still have retained the characteristics of Relatively Young Jack or at least retained his OWN voice instead of Jed Clampetts voice?

Anyway, it was a decent episode in which everyone plays their usual part. Daniel gets to play the rabid humanitarian and language translator, Teal'c gets to stand around and scowl and occasionally interject with monotonous input, Sam gets to come up with wild theories and prove them right, Jack gets to be brave and SG-1 saves the day as they almost always do, or rather, gets to save the Argosians from their 100 day lives... oh, and of course Old Jack becomes Relatively Young Jack again because, APPARENTLY, the nanocytes only made him IMMITATE being severely elderly... which makes no sense to me... but whatever.