Stargate SG-1

Collateral Damage

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 13, 2006 on Syfy

• This episode was pointless....

4.8
    i don't like this epiosde at all. i think this epiosde was the worst in season 9 and one of the worst ever. firstly, Col. Mitchell is occused of murder on another planet, but then by the help of Technogy he doesn't remember, and everyone else is lead to belive he did it. the stupid thing is that at the end. col. mitchell s memory is wiped of the event. and all the people on that planet forget too. i just don't like the storyline of this epiosde and nevr will. i gave this epiosde the lowest score i have ever given anythuing.later.
  • A nice surprise.

Spoilers...

A solid Cameron-centric stand alone episode, not something we've seen so far and shockingly it's a decent, fairly intelligent little episode.

The premise is a bit of an SF cliche - a chair that can be used to add or remove memories. Cameron 'remembers' killing the woman he hit on the previous night, but this is SG1 after all, we know Cameron hasn't done it. Thankfully the episode sorts this out quickly and it isn't about proving his innocence which would have been really tiresome, but finding out who did.

The show includes a few good twists and Ben Browder gets a chance to show he wasn't just brought on board to look nice and be a replacement O'Neill. The script isn't as good as what he got to work with on Farscape, but he does the best with what he has to work with.
  • Beware The Chair!

Mitchell has the same problem with this chair as he did in Farscape. The only difference is that memories have been implanted into his brain instead of Scorpious probing him for wormhole knowledge. Hopefully, there was no little chip implanted in him that is going to cause him trouble down the road.
  • Not very much connected with main storyline but there was great thoughts in this episode.

I do not know.. I liked it.. the story - the dilemma and irony of memory change - it first looks something so good but through the episode we see what kind of control it gives, how other people can alert the reality and the question would rise - what is the price? Innocent man thinking he killed someone? The real killer not even knowing what he had done? It quite remind me the paradox what was in "Minority Report". How can we know what is real and what is not? And for those thoughts this episode provoked. It was worth to watch.
  • Big Time filler episode...

Yes this is a filler episode most of the filler episodes on this show are sometimes good but I disliked this one. There was a couple good things about it, like we get to see some insight on Mitchell's life and what almost made him resign from the Air Force. The bright side to this episode was that SG-1 aquired a new memory machine. I liked the effects of the jet when Mitchell was having a memory of accidentley killing those people. Everyone has to admit this episode was different but it wasn't the worst episode of the series. Face it every series has bad episodes. Later...
  • Mitchell is accused of murder, a murder he remembers committing. Knowing that he's a member of SG-1 and that the planet has memory implanting technology, the rest of the team knows something's afoot.

7.8
    Nine years on the air, you're bound to get stories like this that are so familiar to science fiction and this would be an example of that. Like so many stories before it, including ones done by SG-1, a main character is accused of murder and it's up to him or her and the rest of the main cast to clear the accused. A couple of things set this episode apart, though. For one, Mitchell gets some development and backstory. I'm a bit biased here, since I was a Farscape fan and as a result am a huge Browder fan, but I highly enjoyed getting this. Mitchell needed something to flesh him out, and seeing a past trauma as well as his relationship with his dad were wonderful. Episodes that focus on the characters tend to get high marks in my eyes, and this one certainly has that going for it. The other major positive for this episode comes at the end. The decision made by the administrator is surprisingly dark and controversial. No offense to SG-1 fans out there, but that's not something I usually expect from this show. I guess that shows me. A handful of positives elevate this episode higher than I expected it to be.
  • Nothing new in the storyline so far, but Mitchell gains more depth.

The biggest plus this episode has is the character development of Lt. Mitchell. So far he has mostly been the clone of O\'Neill, but now we learn more of his past and his personality and reasons for his course of action.

The storyline is not bad either, but the subject of implanted memories of murder is nothing new, we\'ve seen that on an earlier SG1 episode and on ST: Voyager as well. But this episode gets a 8.4 because it\'s always interesting to see the character development. Unfortunately is the ending not a very surprising one and the other SG1 members are more or less supernumeraries.
  • Getting to know Mitchell...

This episode might not have been as exciting as others, but it was a very good one for allowing Mitchell to develop his own personality, rather than being an 'O'Neill clone'.

On a visit to a planet formerly protected by the Asgard, Mitchell is accused of a murder he didn't commit. Problem is, he thinks he did.
    The murderer used a device they had recently been developing, to implant his memories of the murder into Mitchell's mind. Even after Mitchell was cleared, he insisted the investigation continue so the real killer could be found.

We get a lot of insight into Mitchell's mind in this episode, and a lot of backstory, that's helping to set him up as a character.
  • Not great, but was ok!

This was probably the second worst episode to "The Scourge" and I still gave it a 8.9. They already did this one too, except Teal'c was charged of things he actually did do & that was years ago.

I think the writers wanted to show Mitchell putting on some moves, even though the technology was the most important part of actually going to the planet.

It was not a great episode because we didn't see enough of Carter, Daniel, or Teal'c. There was little action and the ending sucked. It wasn't hard to figure out the plot after the doctor was revealed as the killer.

I only liked it because of the mystery and it was different. While some people think Stargate is losing it, Stargate's worst episodes are better than some from seasons 2 & 3, but I guess that's all up to the fan or viewer.
  • Pretty good episode

I thought the episode was pretty well done. I only had one problem with the episode and that is that we have seen this kind of story line before on stargate. Beyond that it was pretty good and I thought that the character development was well done for Mitchell in this episode.
  • Cameron-centric episode. Colonel Mitchell is accused of a murder he didn\'t commit while on a planet which has a device which can alter memories. We also get to see some of his key memories as to why he entered the air force.

Colonel Mitchell awakes to find blood on his hands and is arrested for the murder of a scientist named Reya. The planet he is on has a device which can alter memories but he has already confessed. The planetary leaders decide to give him diplomatic immunity but instead he decides he wants to prove his innocence. After finding the memory to have no splicing inconsistencies (due to the fact he was stunned) they have him view a previous memory in which he accidentally bombed a refugee convoy due to bad intel. Though this does prove his innocence, he wants to take it a step further and find the true murderer. After viewing the memory, he sees an inconsistency in a mirror which shows the face of Dr. Marell, Reya\'s husband (the 2 were separated). He has no memory of this as he altered his own memory to get rid of the blame. During the course of the episode, we see flashbacks to Cameron and his father who was key in inspiring him to go into the air force and also in helping him overcome a time of weakness after the bombing mishap. The Emissary (played by the always evil William Atherton) seemed to want this problem to go away and I thought it was indeed he who had killed Reya. But after finding Marell guilty, it seems strange for him to act the way he did throughout episode if even only for diplomatic reasons.
  • I agree it's a unoriginal episode certainly, but the episode wasn't without it's merits.

5.7
    I agree it's a unoriginal episode certainly, but the episode wasn't without it's merits. I liked that we got to know Cameron Mitchell a bit more and learned about his dad. I also liked how they displayed how he and Carter have developed a solid friendship. But other than this, I think it was a plot that has been done in sci-fi shows as well as in non-sci-fi shows.
  • Why am I not surprised? I guess I've gotten used to the fact that originality is not something I should be looking for in this show, but to steal a complete script from another show? The nerve...

0.1
    I guess every Sci-fi fan that saw this episode felt some sort of deja-vu. Don't panic, you're not going insane, this episode was done in a better TV show called Star Trek: Voyager. That's right...season one, episode 8: Ex Post Facto.

Shame on them... Stealing an idea... I have a suggestion: instead of stealing other shows' ideas just cancel the frelled show already...
  • Once again SG1 plunders other Sci-fi to get a storyline.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had the exact same story with Riker accused of murder.

Rikers memories were manipulated and they use the holodeck to reconstruct it.

One the other hand it was reasonable to see more of background info on Mitchell.

The rest of the team were little more than window dressing.

A very disappointing episode.
  • The difference in plot caught my attention... a murder has happened before, but I was looking what happened in between that.

When I first started watching this episode, I thought of the episode where Teal'c is accused of murder and he stands for the trial. Vala is accused of murder, everyone is accused of murder at some point in the show. What I thought was interesting was the second half of the show. For the first have we get information on Reya and Mitchell. In the second half, however, even after Mitchell is proven guilty, he wants to stay and find out who the murderer was. I think the twist in who the murderer was was what made the show. I thought the idea of the implanted memories was intriguing and finding the anamolies was quite interesting. I hope we see these aliens in future episodes.
  • Is it still character development if it's not at that relevatory?

Well, I wanted more character exploration, and I got it. Sort of. I’ve actually been looking forward to an episode devoted to Mitchell since the beginning of the season, since his character needs to get the same level of development as the rest of the cast. Plot concerns overwhelmed the beginning of the season for just about everyone, so this is pretty much the first chance to explore Mitchell’s past. So why was I a bit disappointed with the final product?

Well, part of it was the familiarity. I don’t recall “SG-1” doing this kind of thing before, but I definitely remember a similar plot device used on “Star Trek: Voyager”. (I believe the character in question was Harry Kim, but I can honestly say I don’t have a detailed memory of anything from that series.) There were some interesting questions about the nature of memory and how it might be manipulated with the right technology, but was it enough? I’m not sure.

For me, this was like listening to a live recording of a song that I’ve heard dozens and dozens of times. There are minor variations within the performance, but the song remains the same, and sometimes I’m just not in the mood for it. I can understand why the writers went for a stand-alone episode, after a big chunk of Ori mythology, but this just didn’t strike me as interesting or revelatory.

So Mitchell is working out Daddy issues. (Yeah, that won’t remind anyone of Crichton!) He’s also dealing with guilt from activities during wartime, it seems, which is somewhat more interesting. But given the current success of “Lost”, a series that excels at exploring a character’s past with a flair for good pacing and plenty of surprises, I couldn’t help but compare the manner in which Mitchell’s past experiences were detailed.

The point is that I didn’t feel as though the revelation of Mitchell’s record and his feelings of guilt were properly paced. The key to his own confusion was the underlying guilt of his past association with a lethal mistake. While there was some emotional fallout, particularly in terms of his relationship to his father, the final act concerned the memory-altering technology and the ethics thereof.

I think the story would have had more impact if the revelation about Mitchell didn’t come until the end, and the situation was less clear cut. In many respects, this episode shows a Mitchell with doubts about himself and a crushing sense of responsibility, which he clearly masks with humor. That works for me, but why not darken the character a bit by making his choice to release the bomb his own, rather than an order given on bad intel?

I’m not saying that I want “SG-1” to stop being what it is. It’s not exactly a series devoted to deep character development or characters with crushing psychological issues. Even O’Neill only had his issues dredged up when it was convenient; most of the time, that side of his character was well-concealed. But this is a case where the writers had the perfect motive, means, and opportunity for a “Lost”-esque episode: questions about the reality of memory, the need to give a new character some definition and history, and a stand-alone chance at something out of the typical format. The main issue is that it wasn’t taken as far as the writers seem to think it was.
  • More Backstory for Mitchell!

At first glance this episode might seem recycled. You have a member of the team accused of murder, and there's the "false memories", because of course our guy didn't do it.
    Still, the episode made itself vital through the interesting technology at the center of the plot which can implant/alter/study memories and the brain. Even though a convicted Tom Paris comes to mind, this seems to be a fresh take on memory. It also didn't downplay how complex the human brain is and make the device too straight forward.
    Interesting moral dilemmas are also introduced. This is a staple of Stargate and good sci-fi in general.
    Most of all, I think this episode gave us some interesting backstory for Cameron. Seeing inside his mind, then getting his subsequent reactions also enriched the story and our understanding of him. The editing of his 'memory sequences' also made the show superb. A really great installment, as always!
  • Not a very good episode.

Haven\'t they done this storyline already. While I cant think of the exact episode, I know I\'ve seen an SG-1 member accused a murder they didn\'t commit. They really should have thrown this script out and do something new. As much as I love this show I\'m starting to think that they\'ve just gone on for too long and there\'s nothing left for them to do.