Stargate SG-1

Cor-Ai

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 1998 on Syfy

• THINK ABOUT THIS EPISODE!

Teal'c is seeking redemption for the bad things he has done when he was Apophis' First Prime. Around the world as well Sci-Fi shows of a cultural product are getting exported everywhere with all the cultural and political values of North America embedded in those shows. So maybe the shows and the fans and the figures of Colonel Jack O'Neill, Dr. Daniel Jackson, Captain Samantha Carter and Teal'c are cultural and political ambassadors more so then any diplomat can actually hope to do. So it's worth looking at what's in these programs that we're advertising to the whole world. Something to think about as you watch in particular Stargate SG-1's episode "Cor-Ai." The villagers in this episode can be compared to non-North American views where as O'Neill and our main heroes have very North American character traits.
  • Teal'c stands trial for the crimes he committed, when he was first prime of Apophis.

The team arrives on Cartago, a planet often "visited" (ie. pillaged) by the Goa'uld.
    One of the villagers recognizes Teal'c as his father's killer, while he was first prime of Apophis and, effectively, trials (the Cor-Ai) Teal'c for his crimes. The cor-ai is a strange trial, as the accuser is the judge and the defendant has very little chance of winning, as the accuser's mind has already been made up, long before the proceedings.
    Sure enough, Teal'c is condemned to death, no matter how hard SG-1 tries to convince Hanno (the accuser/judge) that Teal'c is a changed man (Jaffa).
    But to his rescue, comes our old Goa'uld friend Shak'l (from the Nox episode) that attacks the village. Teal'c shows his valour by fighting free and killing the offending Goa'ulds.
    This is good enough for Hanno, whom forgives Teal'c for his past actions and lets him go.
    We see the courage and honor of the great Jaffa warrior Teal'c. He's willing to die, so that a man (a very stubborn and sour man) may have his retribution for the death of his father.
    All's well that ends well ... but I'm sure Teal'c will be giving this planet a pass, next time they are scheduled to go there.
  • Teal'c seeks to redeem his past.

Not a bad episode. Teal'c is put on trial. I really liked Jack's performance in this episode. His approach was far more humanistic than the others and therefore made it easier to relate to him. The primary purpose of this episode was fulfilled, in that it puts Teal'c's past to rest and absolve him of the things he did in Apophis' service. Fortunately a conveniently timed Goa'uld attack allows Teal'c to defend the village and save them. What I did not like about this episode was the idea that Teal'c was a "new man", which would seem to assume that Teal'c never cared about freedom for his people and the evils of the Goa'uld before he met SG-1, which of course we know is not true.
  • Teal'c shows his honor.

7.6
    This was a good episode, but had a sudden change of character in Teal'c. Why was he going to accept death instead of wanting to continue the fight the Goa'uld, it just didn't make much sense. O'neill should have broken Teal'c out and dragged him out by the eye, but thats my opinion. Micheal Shanks also does some great acting when he tries to persuade the people to spare Teal'c only to find out that there is no jury, and the judge is the prosecutor. In the end, they are reasoned with and Teal'c is let go but I just feel that it was one thing to take the blame for something and another to die for someone else's evil decisions but O'neill's reasoning was spot on. He told Teal'c how soldiers sometimes do things the are are not proud of but they are just following orders, and that Apophis is to blame. Overall, average.
  • Teal'c facing the past...

6.6
    It was - another kind of episode. In some point it looked like some court drama, but - it was not very interesting and giving us nothing. The good thing with this episode was the Teal'c past and the way he was ready to accept punishment for what he had done. But everything else - it was somehow boring and nothing happened. It was so sure that they do not get nothing from Earth and have to get out their own way.

And the Goa'uld fighting - bad timing, I would say. In conclusion, this episode did not gave us nothing, just filled the air time.
  • boreing...

SG-1 goes to a planet where they meet some humans that accuse Teal'c of killing one of their own. In the end, the goa'uld come, SG-1 one helps, and they let Teal'c go. I really didn't like this episode. It was dull and really boreing. There was a lot of moral talk about Teal'c not wanting to leave because he wishes that he be punished for what he did. It was just boreing. There was some good action, but the story was just bad. Overall, boreing episode, bad story, all focused on the very boreing Teal'c, and it was just a bad episode.
  • Focus on Teal'c

This episode was very Teal'c-centered. The team goes to a planet where Teal'c had previously captured humans for the Goa'uld. The people recognize him and capture him in order to put him on trial for his crimes. The team comes up with a plan to break him out but Teal'c doesn't want to go. He wants to face his punishment. This is admirable. The team goes back to Earth to explain the situation to Hammond, and they end up going back to try to rescue him. The Goa'uld are there and they are attacking and taking hostages. The team sets Teal'c free and helps the people win their fight against the Goa'uld. I'm not a big fan of the Teal'c story line and personality, but this was an exception to that. This was actually a decent episode.
  • Good development...

This was another great Teal'c episode it is more character development for Teal'c. SG1 goes to a planet where Teal'c is regonized as being the one who killed someone's father. he is then put on trial and is found guilty. Apophis ordered him to do it and if he didn't then Apophis would kill everyone else, so Teal'c did the right thing and in the end hanno did the right thing by letting Teal'c go. That was way back when Hanno was a kid it kinda makes you wonder how old Teal'c really is. O'neill was funny in this episode when hammond said that the United states doesn't interfear in anyones relations and O'neill says "Since When?" Later...
  • More Teal'c development

This is one of the best Teal’c episodes in the early seasons of the show. I liked the fact that something he did as a first prime came back to haunt him and the rest of the team. We all knew that he had done horrible things as the first prime of one of the most evil beings in the galaxy. I understand Teal’cs wanting to face the punishment for all the things he did but not in this situation where the trail is not fair. Overall a very good look into Teal’cs morals and character.
  • A major character developement episode for Teal'c. Shows how great of an actor Christopher Judge is.

Awesome episode for Teal'c. Show's how versatile Christopher Judge can be, and shows why he is on one of the best shows in tv history, you know it, I know it, we all know it's the best show ever. And Jack as Teal'c's'lawyer', I was laughing histericly when he asked Jack to do it.:)ROTFL Since when is Jack a diplomat?! This episode also showed how much regret Teal'c had for doing the things he did when he was first prime, and that was waaaaaaaay before he met SG-1. It also shows humilty to accept whatever fate the people decided he deserved. Teal'c is soooooooo fricken awesome!!! I will now bow before his awesomeness...*bowing*
  • Teal'c is sentenced to death. Will honour save his life, or end it? This is a fantastic episode!

Ever since joining SGC, Teal'c's loyalty against the Goa'uld has repeatedly been questioned, by SGC and by the inhabitants of the worlds they visit. In this episode, SG1 visits a world where the Goa'uld harvest many of their hosts. Upon arriving Teal'c remembers the planet, but is hesitant to tell the others how he knows it. It's when SG1 meets the locals that Teal'c's reason is revealed. It turns out that when Teal'c was still a Jaffa for Apophis, they had visited the planet and Teal'c was ordered to kill a crippled man. The man's son has now grown up and is now accusing Teal'c of murder. Jack and the team want nothing more than to get Teal'c back to Earth, however Teal'c is convinced that he must remain and face his punishment. The punishment is decided through proceedings called Cor-Ai, similar to a trial but different in the way that the "judge" is the victim himself. In order to save his own life, Teal'c must prove to the son of the man that he killed, that he does not deserve to die. Teal is given this chance when the Jaffa return to the planet, looking for more hosts. Teal'c helps the people and risks his own life to save others. This - along with the knowledge that by killing the man's father, the entire village was saved - convinces Teal'c accuser that he is not the same person he was years ago, and revokes the accusation and sentence. This is the pivotal episode that solidifies Teal'c as a fighter against Apophis and the Jaffa. However, it seems that no matter how often he proves himself, Teal'c will still be considered an alien in the eyes of those he works for (Gen. Hammond and the president refuse to go and save Teal'c when he is imprisoned). This is a great episode that features terrific acting by Christopher Judge (a very emotional scene where Teal'c is on the verge of crying), Richard Anderson and Michael Shanks.
  • One of the better episodes of season 1.

This was a very good episode, IMO, and also a very necassary one. Though the SG-teams and us viewers might have accepted Teal'c and are willing to trust him now, the same can obviously not be said for the inhabitants of Goa'uld-terrorised planets.
    I think it was important that there was a confrontation with someone who had a personal grievance with Teal'c, as it adds authenticity to the show.

We learn a lot about Teal'c in this episode, things that may have been hinted at before, but are now set in stone. He is certainly not a coward, and seems to believe very strongly in doing the right thing - something most everyone else lacks at times.

Any lingering suspicions that Teal'c may be a double agent should be well and truly dispelled after this episode.
  • We get a little back story into the life before Teal'c betrayed Apophis.

Teal'c is said to of murdered a man's father and is put on trial. Even though O'Neill wants to break him out, Teal'c says he's going to face the consequences.

We learn a little about how Teal'c was as First Prime and about all the hard decisions he has had to make in the past.

I thought this was an emotional episode. SG-1 almost lost a member of their team and the SGC couldn't help them.

Lucky for them, some Jaffa came through the gate so Teal'c was able to show that he had changed. They were allowed to go back through the gate and Teal'c was forgiven for what he had done.

This wasn't the best episode, but I still thought it was well written and good for Teal'c character development.
  • A predictable story, but also helps develop Teal'c character.

Let's face facts, it's a clichéd story: Teal'c is put on trial for his past actions under the command of Apophis, but is seen to be a changed man and forgiven when he risks his life to save the ones who wish to execute him. You could see the ending coming a mile away.

However, despite this major story flaw, the argument over the past actions of a man with his current change of heart is strong and used well. We also get a glimpse into Teal'c past, as well as the first signs of Teal'c doubt in his God. Throw in some humour and the episode is almost saved.

This is another example of an ambiguous episode in terms of showing it to a soon-to-be SG-1 fan. I wouldn't show it, but it probably wouldn't hurt.
  • Faced with a death sentence, a lust for revenge, and a hard order from home, this time the team has to battle with the demands of philosophy - and does well.

While the episode takes (Small spoiler ahead)
    the Serpent Ex Machina out for a third or two of the dilemma, I think writers did it admirably from a Christian and philosophical standpoint, which isn\\\\\\\'t always present in this series (although the episodes so far were on the brink of being okay or better) so, philosophy-lovers, watch this. 2nd best episode so far, comparable only with "Tries at Pieta" maybe in last episode.
  • A man wants revenge on Teal'C for killing the man's father.

This was a very interesting episode because it shows the laws of another culture. In this world, it is guilty until proven innocent. I can understand how the man hated Teal'C for killing his dad, would I still hold a grudge years later? I probably would. This episode was another character developement episode because we learn just a little more about the past of Teal'C. This is just another side story, and doesn't really have anything to do with the main plot of getting Daniel's wife back. I did, however, enjoy it and it's worth seeing. Teal'C is a very honorable man, and it really comes through in this episode when he decides to take his punishment instead of running.