Stargate SG-1

Crusade

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 03, 2006 on Syfy

• Vala returns with a couple big whoppers. And in Daniel's body.

Vala returns with a vengeance in a delightful episode that serves as a tense and exciting setup for the big finale to come. Using that ol' device we saw in "Avatar" and "Origin" she takes over Daniel's body (how she figured out how to target a specific person isn't known) and we are treated, or for those of you Vala dislikers "forced into", an hour of full on Vala as she relates her travels in the Ori galaxy. Turns out that he girl's been busy. She's married, pregnant with the Ori's child, and informing our heroes that the Ori fleet is on its way. It's interesting, funny, and dramatic stuff. Vala's return and relating is great, the team's reaction to it priceless (two words: Darth Vader), and the biggest threat our team has faced, well, ever is set to show up in the next episode. It's a spectacular entry in the series and a wonderful setup to the finale, in some parts up there with the tension of "There But For the Grace of God". Two thumbs up from me.
  • What has happened with year in Ori galaxy...

This episode was somehow.. mm.. it was different - not been fighting nor mission - it was mostly and all the time little summary by Vala what she has been doing all that time and her story is quite good. I most say I really started to like her in this episode - maybe because this show her in totally different angle, had much new to offer and the story was fascinating.

First how she get to the village, how she managed to survive there and oh.. it was so sad when the put her on the burning place again and she had to be there so long. And the ending - she can almost talk herself out of everything...
  • You know you really love a woman when you can see your unborn Oricy in her eyes.

It’s been months since the last time we heard of Vala; life has go on, beards have been shaved and in a distant part of the Ori home world a pregnant wife tinkering with two communication stones manages to inhabit the body of her one time partner to tell the SG-1 what has she found.

Daniel/Vala start talking to Cam about her experiences after the super gate blew up, how she met Tomin; a devote Ori follower and kind man who nurse he back to health and made her his wife once she notice her pregnancy. She also tells them about the double life she had to lead as Tomlin’s wife, her job with the resistant movement who failed to stop the Ori crusade and the thousands of ships ready to cross over to their galaxy, as well as Tomlin’s revelation the day she overheard an Ori prior confirm to him that the baby Vala is expecting it’s not his, or any man’s for that matter.

She is scared but not more than Tomin, as she must now leave by his side all she can do is to trust their friends would do whatever it takes to prevent the invasion, and to trust her husband would believe in her as she is found with the resistance cutting short all communication with SG-1.
  • Great episode...

This episode sets up the season finale in a big way. It also reveals alot about what the Ori are up to. Vala is back but she is in Daniel's body by means of the communication device. She is also in the Ori Galaxy and pregnant with the child of the ori. stargate sg1 has had some pretty cool guest stars in the past but in this episode Michael Ironside guest starred that is just awesome. Vala tells the team that the ori plan to attack with these ships they have a whole bunch of them. The SGC had to give the russians one of their new star ships in exchange to keep the stargate, the way I see it is that thge stargate belonged to the SGC anyway and the russians just stole it. Later...
  • So much Fun

This was a great episode! Its great to have Vala back, she always throws spice in the mix! Through Vala's eyes we get to see how the other side lives. The followers of the Ori are not all evil, there are many kind people like Tomin who truely believe what the Ori are telling them. The the Ori are benevolent and it is the Ancients who will distroy them all. And Vala's pregenecy is a great way to bring her back into the fold. Before she always had her own interests at heart, and the baby and her need to do something is what will make Vala's joining of SG1 believeable.
    Plus Micheal Shanks is a great actor, and it is always fun to watch twists thrown in for him to work with!
  • A Vala centred ep!

This episode was based mainly on Vala and her story of what happened when they tried to destroy the first Ori supergate. I like this episode, Vala has her funny sense of humour, and Mitchell has his one-liners, but the sad thing is, we don't see much of Daniel. This episode does, however, reveal alot about Vala and her whereabouts, and also alot about the Ori and their plans. I guess I was pretty disappointed that the plan to destroy the Ori ships didn't work. At this point nothing can stop them, which really REALLY sucks! I'm not at all impressed. I didn't much like the ending either. I mean, Vala managed to talk her way out of the trouble (as we all knew she could) which was good, but she got pulled away just at the wrong time ... these directers are all the same I tell you!! It's not fair ...

But oh well, in short, Vala comes back as Daniel, tells the others where she's been and about the Ori, and also tied in is something to do with the Stargate and who is going to use it, I wasn't really focused on that part ... sorry for those of you who are reading this!! STARGATE SG-1 FOREVER!!
  • A good episode, but very little original cast participation.

There's a good story here, and a very good performance from Claudia Black, showing Vala can do serious (however briefly) when it is needed.

We learn a lot about the Ori and their mission in this episode, and it serves to put the SGC on their toes.

There was however very little imput from the remaining members of the original SG-1 team (Carter, Daniel and Teal'c). The powers that be behind this show would do well to remember why we started watching the show in the first place, and try not to ignore the old cast too much...

Still, in terms of story, this was a pretty solid episode.
  • Great episode: Vala tells the story of how she had to endure a whole new life in the Orii galaxy.

Revealing, character development, flashback/dream sequence, well written, exciting, and even nerve-wracking.

Vala was clever enough to find the anti-Orii followers and contact Earth. She tricks Tomin(?) who develops as a proud, religious follower. To see Vala take something apart of her life so seriously - changing a small part of herself, while still manipulating people - and then see Tomin change into an Orii follower and ultimately a killer.

It was funny to see the flashback because she was in Daniel's body, of course. It was sad to see her suffer and have to deceive her husband. It was incredible to see how Tomin took care of Vala and learned to love her.

The action, while minor, still made the episode exciting: seeing the ships and the episode's ending.

I've seen the next episode and it makes this episode look like a "bottom of the barrel." I give this epsisode almost a 10 out of 10.
  • Good episode but the idea behind it was a little bit rushed.

I love the fact that they brought Valla back. Yet I can't help but notice that Sci-Fi would not pick Firefly as a show but they have no problem using the actors from it.

To be fare, it was a decent show but I really feel like this season could have been longer with all the ideas that were introduced.
  • This sets up what is sure to be an awesome season finale.

I cant wait til next week. We learn that Vala is alive and living in an ORI controlled universe. She manages to communicate with SG1 and tells them what the ORI have been up too and what is coming. I am glad they added Claudia as a regular for enxt season. She is very funny, and tough(Farscape) and her and Ben Browder work so well together. It was funny this episode had her inheriting Daniels body to communicate.
  • what a way to end the season

reading all the reviews of this epeisode it is clear that there are mixed feelings about it. i think it was one of the best episodes this season. I love Claudia blacks character Vala. she is such a diverse character and always interesting. cant wait for the second part next week.
  • Not a bad episode, I'm still waiting for General Oneal to show up.

Somwhere along the line, we forgot where it all started and who started it. I think whether or not general Oneal was available he should still be mentioned when it comes to important episodes like this one. I feel this episode is trying to woo the fans away from our original Sg1 cast. It was informative but yet I felt a little disturbed because the Sg1 cast was not more involved in the action of the episode.
  • It was great to see Vala,but we can't forget about other members of SG-1(I know,that Vala is not a member of SG-1)

This ep. was beyond great-not only interesting,but also so funny(when Vala asked guys,if they know anyone,who got pregnant without father and then Cam said,there might be one and then Teal'c said:"Darth Vader" and Vala:"Really???How did that turned out"-I thought I'm going 2 die of too much laughing-but as far the Ori war goes,I say Bring it,anything they throw at "us",we will not only throw back in their faces,but we will put on a fight,that they can't imagine!!!
  • Pivotal, but still boring.

This episode gives a lot of insight, not just in the Ori, but also Vala, and since she will be a regular next season they need to make it all work, which will now, as Vala obviously does care, and she knows that the SGC is the place to fight the Ori.

But the fact remains that this episode was boring, and in all honestly below the quality that i have expected from this series.

Personally i prefered it if they had done this over several episodes, but i guess they got their reasons for doing this, like i said it's below the quality that i have expected, so i'm guessing they will make up for this by doing the right thing with which they used this episode to prepare for.
  • Nice warm up to the actual season finale. Although, the sub-plot involving that Sino-Russian alliance seemed an unnecessary complication.

I mean; I can see why the Russians would want a Daedalus-class ship. The Cold War may be over, but they don't like being in America's shadow, anymore than we would want to be second-place to them.

But, what are the Chinese planning to do? Take over the world with the help of System Lord Yu? Considering that he was suffering the Goa'uld equivalent of Alzheimer's, when last anybody saw him, that ploy would work only if Ba'al (or one of his clones) were the real brains bts.

One more nitpick: I don't know where Col. Mitchell did his research. But, according to everything I've ever read on the subject, all Merlin really did--according to legend--is cast a glamor spell on Uther Pendragon. To make him resemble the lawful husband of Igraine (either the Duchess or Queen of Cornwall).

Ergo; King Arthur was most definitely NOT immaculately conceived!!!

As for the main plotline? I loved it! I finally got to see a different side to Vala, other than her self-centered, profiteering one. While she might lust after Daniel, I felt she had fallen in true (=unselfish) love with Nathan Filion's character. And, I can't wait to see if he can't somehow be saved from becoming Ori cannon-fodder.

That's why I classified this as "pivotal."
  • Good for Part 1, but can't wait for Part 2!

The Ori soldiers look somewhat cooler then the Jaffa, even the costume look more real. Though both use a staff weapon (different kind). The beginning of the episode was great with Vala walking into the mens locker room as Daniel, lol. One part I didn't like was that the hot village girl got killed.
  • Claudia Black returns w00t!!

Interesting episode,SG1 makes contact with Vala from a ORI home world where she is able to tell them of the plans for galaxy conquest and their massive build of of arms and ships. They also learn of a new super gate being built.
    Vala also passes on that she is pregnant with a child created by the ORI, this seems to me a little similar to the story line BSG, something more original could have been thought of in my humble opinion.
    In all it builds to a interesting conclusion of the series, with SG1 now searching for the super weapon and creation of ORI (baby).
    This episode also had the Russian delegation twisting the arm of the stargate program for a detilus class space ship in exchange for the US keeping control of the gate. Be intersiting if this alludes to anything but might be interssting down the track
  • An unusual plot device, but it definitely works!

Even without getting into the other strengths of the episode, I think it’s important to recognize the symmetry of the season, especially evident in “Crusade”. It just gives the season a more unified feeling than the previous run of stand-alone installments. The return to the Ori-dominated villages, Vala being chained as an unbeliever, the Ancient communication device…all of it ties lingering plot threads into a nice little package.

I’m not one to enjoy “baby plots”. Few shows can survive them, because as much as they supply quick and easy drama, they are also very confining. Sometimes there’s little choice, if an actress gets pregnant at an inconvenient time, but sometimes the producers try to take advantage of the situation and get burned. “X-Files” is the perfect example: usually, the more central the mother is as a character, the worse the effect.

In just about every genre series, the baby ends up being some kind of savior or threat, usually foretold by some prophecy. How that situation is handled (and sometimes, how quickly the baby is removed from the forefront) usually decides whether or not the series will survive. Again, “X-Files” is an example of a series that had no clue what to do with a messianic child; “BSG”, on the other hand, avoids many of the problems by making the baby one of many subplots.

So far, it’s unclear how the decision to give Vala some kind of Ori miracle child will affect the series. It depends, as mentioned, whether or not Vala remains pregnant, keeps the child, and returns as a central character. I simply don’t trust the writing staff to avoid the usual problems. Thankfully, it’s more likely that Vala’s child would be stolen by the Ori and then become something to find or retrieve.

Whatever the case, I really liked how the writers managed to tell the story, even if it meant most of the time was spent with just Vala on the Ori world and the team was stuck in the SGC. It was an unusual mode of storytelling for this series, and I felt that it worked rather well. Vala’s complex relationships with Tomin and Denya worked very well, and her side of the plot gave an interesting look at the enemy. Vala’s lies will probably come back to haunt her sooner rather than later.

I also liked the fact that the IOA continues to be a source of annoyance. The situation was resolved a bit too easily this time around, but just the fact that it came up at all was satisfying. It kept the wide scope of the story on the forefront. As a final aside, though: did anyone else find it odd that Darth Vader and King Arthur came up as two people apparently born without deed being done, yet the most obvious human example didn’t come up at all?
  • great

this was one of the best episodes this season, maybe ever, so Glad Vala is back, and I can't wait to see what happens with the baby, the Ori are coming, and we have to find the weapon first.. great epsode great writing, prehaps the funniest line ever, when Teal'c answered Vala 's question about the conception with Darth Vader
  • AND SO IT BEGINS...

The Ori's Holy War has begun.

Now the Ori's plan has become 100% clear. They have converted worlds and devisted others to weaken out ablilty to fight back when the warriors of the Ori arrive.

We couldn't be in a more weak state as we are now!

This will be a long war that will take many lives to win. I mean we are talking about one galaxy vs. another galaxy in a war that will cost millions apon millions of lives!

I don't think that even the death of the Ori would stop those that are driven my religus dogma.
  • The reason I'm glad Atlantis and SG-1 are the last thing I see in the week. It's always a good way to end the week. (Spoilers)

VALA!!!! YAY!!!! Fun fun stuff.. good times. And what would any good TV show be with out an eventual appearance by Michael Ironside, well… probably still just as good, but still. The dual chatting with Vala and Daniel was classic. Of course.. Teal’c – “Darth Vader” was good too. Oooh a plan for the final, sigh.. only one left for the season. Lookin’ forward to season 10 already.
  • Vala Malduran has been able to contact Gen. Landry and SG-1 through Daniel via the communication device and warns them that the Ori are massing ships and warriors for an all-out attack.

Crusade is an excellent episode. The writing is taut and a good mix of humorous moments and tension-builders. The characters are well-drawn and casting was used effectively. There are no loose ends and nothing outre. It is very pleasant to see Miss Black reprising her role as Vala. All in all, it is a perfect lead-in to the season finale.