Stargate SG-1

Dominion

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 15, 2007 on Syfy

• A final act blunder keeps this one from reaching its full potential

After a number of episodes focusing on stand-alone concepts, the season arc comes back in a big way in this penultimate episode for the series. The name of the game, as usual, is plot progression, even when it requires severe willful suspension of disbelief to accept the logic that allows for that progression.

No matter how well they leave the door open, this felt like a way to take the ridiculous Ba’al plot thread and bring it under control. The ending mitigated that measure of control, but we now have less Ba’al clones to worry about, and that’s a good thing. Given the age of the series and the constant possibility of cancellation (which is now coming to pass), having such a massively open-ended plot element lingering the background was simply not a good idea.

That’s why bringing Ba’al into the prelude to the conclusion of the Ori arc was a genius move. It helps make sense of Ba’al’s actions since the fall of the System Lords, and it’s the kind of leverage he would try to find and utilize. It also allows the writers to complicate the capture of Adria, which might otherwise have been a bit too easy.

Unfortunately, after setting the stage for a final showdown over the solution to the Adria problem, the writers toss a major plot convenience into the mix. Despite taking precautions on more than one occasion to keep an anti-Prior device around Adria, they completely blow it during the most important moment. If one of those devices had been in the room when the toxin was being administered, Adria would have been gone and, if Ba’al and Adria are to be believed, the Ori fleet would be without Ori and Orisi.

Instead, Adria is able to ascend, which is a nice set up for the conclusion of the arc in “The Ark of Truth” film, if nothing else. I’m just not sure that the writers took the most logical path to that end. More than once, the characters mentioned Adria’s eventual ability to overcome the anti-Prior device; why not use that plot point to explain her ability to ascend at the end, even with one of the devices in the room? A minor change, but one that switches plot convenience with plot payoff.

That final act is really the only weak link in the episode, despite my annoyance that the Ba’al plot thread was kept open when it could have been easily closed. It’s enough, however, to keep the episode from achieving its full potential.
  • Finally something happens

I cannot believe there is only one more episode to go. SG1 is coming to an end and finally we have an episode which addresses this and is not a filler ep. Vala seems to have left the team and I have to say this was very cleverly written, I really believed it. The episode was good in that it tied up a few loose ends and we got to see what happens to Adria and that Daniel's plan to destroy the Ori was successful but it still felt like we were waiting for something. Maybe all the good stuff will come in the movies but I just wish they had invested as much in the final episodes of the series. Some funny moments, some sad moments, some slightly confusing moments. Altogether I would say better than the average episodes of late but still, is this how SG1 is going to end?

When are Daniel and Vala going to get together already???!!! I ask this every week. If it doesn't happen next week I will be pulling my hair out.
  • Adria's back...

Ba'al captures Adria when the SG teams were attempting to capture Adria...right, it's a little complicated. Anyways, Ba'al implants Adria with a symbiote just before SG-1 captures Adria and kills Ba'al. In the end, Adria ascends after a failed attempt to remove the symbiote and to add a tokra symbiote. The story was interesting. I didn't like, however, the part of the story where Vala was brainwashed and stuff; I thought it was tacky and pointless. I did like the Adria/Vala moments though. Overall, pretty good episode. I was happy that Ba'al was in it; he's one of my favorite recurring characters. I was pretty shocked when they just over-killed Ba'al though. They shot him like ten times. I hope there's another Ba'al out there...
  • Major events.

Major events took place in this last stop before the Series finale.
    Nice twists with Vala getting out of Sg1, all part of a plan at the end. It was great to see Ba'al again as he intends to control Adria and the galaxy. That actress, Morena Baccarin who plays Adria, wow I never realized how hot she is. Great she is not "done" then. :p It is also very interesting to see her ascend, which is an interesting twist.
    As for Ba'al, I`m sure he is not done...yet.
    So overall and great episode with some great action, intense moments and plot advancers.
    The series finale is next...I don`t think they`ll be able to patch up the story , so I guess all will be resolved in the movie.
  • Well Adria comes back for this one she helps Vala out when she is found cheating at a game. After they go to find the infinitum (or something like that).

First off Vala start this episode off running away from SC command, all due to a plan where here a fake memory has been planted to make her and Adria believe that they where going to imprison her. To prevent Adria from gaining all the knowledge that Vala has gather of Earth's defenses.

Once Adria and Vala travel to the planet where the treasure is supposedly located SG1 is waiting for them, but then the plan SG1 had to capture Adria backfires and Ba'al kidnaps Adria in order to have control of her army. When Adria refuses to do what he demands Ba'al implants a symbiot in order to control what is left of the Ori army. I did not like this part, this all seem to go of there where a lot of this that I wanted to see in this episode considering that this is the second to the last episode of this show.

I must say that I did like the ending I did not think that Adria would die I would have like to see her in the last episode or even on future movies. But the fact that she ascended it would be cool to see her again in a future movie coming back just like Daniel to continue where she left off and rebuild her army
  • A great penultimate episode awating the series finale!...

I watched this episode with great excpectations, I knew it was going to be good, and it was. In this eoisode we finally tie up a loose end with the ascenion of Vala's "daughter", Adria. I feel that that is a very good way to move on her character.We also see more of Ba'al, and he gets shot full of holes yet again,and he tries a mischevisous plot at implating Adria with a Symbiote, actually,his symbiote .This episode was packed full of action, drama, and special effets what else really could you ask for in an episode of SG1?, well we might just find out next week!.Later.
  • Big bang for end...

It could say that major storylines end with this episode and this episode is huge. Both Ba'al and Adria are out to get the rule over the galaxy and they are ready to do so many things and there are quite many shocks - killing all Ba'als.. then using Goa'uld to take over Adria (genial idea).

We have a lot of action, much things happening. Too many even maybe. Anyway, it is huge episode. And the storyline with Adria and Vala was very good - the way they finally started to realized that they are drifting apart and soon they will face each other.

And the ending.. the way Vala does feel for her daughter and what is happening hurts. And the ending... very good episode.
  • I thought this was brilliant but for some reason there was still some part of me that did not enjoy this fully.

This epiosde bugs me and I can't work out why, it's almost as if they tried to do too much in one episode, but at the same time they did everything I was expecting. It's weird.

I liked the use of the memory machine, I was wondering if we'd ever see that again, that was good. I like the fact that we still don't know for sure if the Ori are dead. I really like the fact that the Odyssey has a cloak, so I apologise to the people in the forum who I disagreed with over that. I was convinced that was just a one time only thing. I liked Ba'al in this episode, I thought he was brilliant as always.

BUT

I found a lot of what happened predictable, As soon as the Jaffa beamed down I knew Ba'al was gonna put a snake in her. That was obvious. I knew that something was up at the beginning when you saw Vala in the bar with Adria.

I was shocked by how quickly they dealt with Adria though, I thought for sure she was gonna pop into the film. But failing that, I certainly didn't think she was gonna ascend. I thought the whole point was you had to be slightly good to do that, although what with the Ori and all nowadays I'm guessing the rule book has slightly changed. Eitherway, surely even with Adria as an ascendant now she can't do much without incurring the wrath of the Alterans. It would be like Daniel ascended all over again.

I liked the new details on the Hatak, I noticed that in Bounty, someone's obviously put a hell of a lot of effort into those, but there did seem to be a mistake. When Ba'als hatak went into hyperspace, there was no window, it just disappeared Star Trek style. I think that was a mistake, although as the cloak shows, I may be very wrong.

It just seemed like so much happened in the episode, because theoretically this is the end, because next week is all looking into the future. I enjoyed this, don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of it, apart from the Odyssey Commander, I did not like him at all. The complete opposite of what we have had before.

I liked this episode, but it seemed to be more about tying up loose ends, while being entertaining, rather than being entertaining, and tying up loose ends at the same time. It felt to me, like their priorities were slightly in the wrong place.

That said this was brilliant, and it's hard to believe that I'm only one episode away from the end of my favourite show of all time.
  • Adria appears in this episode which means she survived the ORI weapon. She comes to the aid of her mum to help her escape a card game that she cheated in. Adria is captured by Baal for his own personal reasons which fail. Story line is much better.

I caught this episode from the UK and I must say it's been the better of the last 3 episodes. There are some good action scenes as well as a good story line. Adria was good to see again (she's a looker). She is implanted with a snake by Baal in order tho have her turn over her forces to him. Anyway to make a long story short SGC tries to remove it but fails. Her body is close to death so she decides to ascend. All in all, this episode is one of the good ones.
  • This could have been done earlier, instead of some of the waste episodes in this second half of the finale season.

This made me think, instead of some of them that your mind works on remote control, this one had something good. What will happen in the finale which from what I have read is not really a finale but the opening of 2 made for TV and DVD movies. I think that eventually Daniel will find the will and ability to ascend and take on the ORI. It appears that they have been building up to some kind of confrontation.
    I am curious on how they will handle this last of the series, and it appears that the Atlantis crew will make an appearance, and that gives them the ideal way to get Carter to Atlantis for next season.
  • SG-1 manage to give u great blow to the Ori by the ascension of Adria!!!

This episode was great...it had both adventure and unpredictability...So SG-1 elaborate a plan to lure Adria , but then Ba'al intervenes...He manages to capture Adria and does his best to convince her to surrender her army...when he realizes he can't, he recurres to something else, thus entering Adria's body...I liked the part when he brings the host, and the best thing was Adria's horrored face...With the help of the Tokra, Ba'al is removed from Adria, but they are unable to prevent Adria from ascending...So they contend themselves with stopping Adria from implementing her plan...Unfortunately this is an episodes of doubts, cause one isn't sure weather Adria or Ba'al are gone .
  • Now THAT'S more like it!

After the last couple of episodes, I was worried one of the best science-fiction shows ... no wait, one of the best SHOWS on television was going to end with a whimper instead of a bang. They've proven me wrong - YEAH!

Claudia Black is a delightful actress - I suppose it's her stage work that allows her to say more by saying nothing. Her characters moral ambivalence re Adria was palpable. Her lines said she felt nothing while her face and mannerisms said something else entirely.

This is not to say the others weren't firing on all cylinders either. They were all working like a well oiled machine. And, really, isn't this why we watch? We're not here for the weird alien makeup or the other-worldly sets - these characters are friends and we want to keep them close, make sure they're OK.
  • Ba'al has once again established himself as a great bad guy! When SG-1 decides to use Adria's love for Vala to bait her, it is actually Ba'al who takes advantage of the prize.

I remember when we were first introduced to the Prior's last season, all I could think about was the possibility of a Goa'uld blending with one of them, and becoming this powerful being; that notion sort of left my mind over the past season or so. Then Ba'al does just the thing I had imagined with a big twist; instead of the prior, he uses the Orici! Commanding a fleet as big and powerful as the Ori army would be the ultimate power play in the galaxy, and as usual he pulls it off very well. I did give this episode a 9, but I still had my questions. How is it that someone as powerful as Adria was able to fall victim to the mind control of a Goa'uld? Though Ba'al mentioned that it took a great deal of strength, I would think he would not have control for long. In fact I think the only thing holding Adria back was the inhibitor.

The plan to use the Tok'ra to use Adria to command her fleet to retreat was a pretty good plan, but it was too short lived. It of course was a way to bridge the gap of taking Adria from imprisonment by Ba'al to her inevitable ascension. This was of course an important step because it gave the Ori presence again, and really gave the Ori a face as did the introduction of Adria in the first place. We of course are unsure as to the fate of the Ori, but as SG-1 pointed out, either she joined the ranks, or she has assumed all the power they left behind. This episode was definitely a fine example of the SG-1 legacy. Though it was not the best ever, it was spot on with the formula that has been successful time and time again. Next week we are going to have a bitter-sweet moment, but from what I hear, it's a kick arse episode! Looking forward to next week!!
  • What an episode...

They really did an awesome job on this episode. You just have to give props to Ba'al he really had a great plan. I liked how they made fun of dancing with the stars, that was funny. They implanted Vala with some memories so adria would believe her but Ba'al took advantage of that and he had his own plan, and a good one at that. To capture adria and implant her with a symbiote, his symbiote, well one of the clones. He was going to send the armies back to the Ori galaxy. But the Tok'ra were able to take Ba'al out of adria but Adrai was dying and she eventually ascended which is bad news. I wish they would have actually shown us her acsending instead of a light on Vala's face. I can't wait until next week. Later...
  • Too great of an episode to miss. Will we being seeing anymore faces that look like Ba'al? Maybe not.

I almost want to cry writing this review because we have only one episode left of the best sci-fi series ever in history. This episode again demonstrates how awesome this show really is. Ba'al to me has always been my favorite gould because he could come up with some of the great one's; I mean his plans and how he just charm's people with his talk and ways, and lets not forget funny. There is always someone who is great at being evil and that is definitely him. I still think his plan has worked, just not how he thought. Vala was great on this episode; you could really see the maturity of her growth in the team. This episode has seemed to open so many new possibilities, so I guess we will have a spectacular ending next week and some openings for the future movies. But I will still be sad and upset.
  • The second to last ever episode of Stargate SG1.

I am still trying to get my head around the fact that Stargate is gone. With an episode like this you have to wonder why the show wasn't renewed for season 11. I know we have the movies coming but it is not the same. Anyway in this episode Vala believes she has been kicked out of the SGC. Adria finds her and asks her where the rest of SG1 are she tells her that they abandoned her. Adria believes her but follows her mother to a site. Their SG1 capture Adria but not before Ba'al transports Adria to his mother ship. At the ship Baal tells Adria he wants to take over the galaxy with her help. Adria decines but she is infected with a Goa'uld. SG1 find the mother ship and kill Baal but are shocked to find Adria a Goa'uld. Adria manages to get control of her powers again after she is poisoned, but find herself dying. Adria then try to master ascension before she dies. She does so, but SG1 still feel that they made a victory because the Ori have lost their leader. This was a fantastic episode. I pray that the last ever episode is even better. I am also praying for some answers to some of the questions this episode has created.
  • Adria and Vala reunite one last time (SPOILERS).

Adria finds her mother losing a card game at a distant planet, as happy as she’s to see her she wonders why Vala is so far away from her friends so Vala tells the story of her downfall; from the dream that leads SG-3 to an ambush that kills 3 men to the day Daniel tells her the plans to confine her in area 51, the worst part being the look of disappointment on Daniel’s eyes, which finally lead her to escape from them using a sodan cloak. Adria is thrilled by this opportunity to take Vala with her as she’s sure she can win her over now, but by the time they leave they’re ambushed by none other than SG1: they take over Vala but Ba’al appears out of nowhere to take Adria with him. Vala is upset, she escaped fair and square, neither Daniel nor SGC has the right to do this to her, Adria isn’t doing better herself as she demands Ba’al to release her only to be threaten with a symbionte not unlike the one her mother carried a long time ago. As Sam & Daniel inform Vala this was actually a plan to alter her memories in order to lure Adria out and convince her to leave the galaxy, Adria is implanted with a Ba’al symbionte that takes over herself before her mother or anybody else could help her. Vala is devastated, the only chance her daughter has is a risky operation by the Tokra, meanwhile Ba’al tries to negotiate his way out by promise them information on the Ori as well as to take their army as far away from earth as possible should he remain in control of this body. The operation does not help as Ba’al releases a toxin that would only kill Adria before he is extracted from her, the only option is to increase the dosage to avoid her suffer. Vala asks Daniel to be with her when it happens: she was there when she was born, it’d only fit to be with her as she passes.

Vala gently caresses her daughter’s hair, ready to say goodbye she sits near by as the Doctor approaches but before he could inject the toxin Adria wakes up and Tk both the Doctor and Daniel away from the room, he desperately tries to reach Vala who’s locked inside with her daughter but Adria has no intentions to harm her, she only wants to buy enough time to ascend although she’s quite willing to hurt anyone who steps in if she must to, and Vala has no other choice but to point a gun at her daughter before she would kill Daniel – who just won’t quit trying to enter that room! – Adria’s hurt is evident, she wishes things would’ve been different between them and says goodbye to her mother as she ascends, more powerful than ever.
  • OMG this episode is full of action! Baal takes some advantage to the Sg1 and the Ori, but finally adria reach the enlightenment!

In this episode sg1 with the help of vala try to capture Adria in a effort to convince her of end the war, blocking her powers with the anti prior device, but baal take some advantage and take adria away!

the baal's plan is simply: takes the ori's army control implanting a goa'ul parasite in adria. ahh but that parasite isnt nobody! is the same baal!!!!

in order to catch baal the sg1 team rakes him and in the way find somme of the baal clones dead!

the sg1 finally recover adria with the goa'ul implanted and have to decide her destiny.

to can be able to stop the war they decide also take control of adria as same baal did. Finally they extract the parasite in order to implant other simbiont, but this time it will be a tok'ra!

baal poisons the adria's body to kill her to cant be separated of her.

with adria dying painfully poisoned the sg1 team decide give her a letal injection to stop her suffering!

but she wake up in the last second and use her powers to protect herself and gain some time to finally ascend!!!

vala try to stop adria with a gun, but adria stop her and almost kill her when just in the last minute adria finally ascend and realease vala!

the sg team now have a relative victory with adria and some of the baal clones dead!!!

a very good episode!!!! when i saw this episode i hope a lottt more of the final episode..... but without doubt this is one of the best episode of sg1 this season!!!

i really enjoy it!!!!