Stargate SG-1

Emancipation

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 08, 1997 on Syfy

7.4
  • Blech...

So we go through the Stargate and end up on planet of sexist Mongolians. We then spend the next 42 minutes learning the lesson that woman can and are just as good as men. Yeah, yeah we know that already. I swear you would think this episode was shot in Texas.

Close the episode with Sam having to prove her worth in a fight to the death, which never leads to anyone dying interestingly enough. Then we all go home.

YAWN
  • Eh, it was one of 'those episodes.

Towards the beggining of the series they had a number of these episodes where the world they traveled to was was overpoweringly based of a certain civilization. In this case, the Mongolians (Who all happened to speak the English language). Give me a break. Granted, many great shows have faced the problem of 'Why does everybody in the universe speak English?' So I don't blame them so much with that incongruency. Since your reading this, I would asume you've watched this episode. So I won't bore you with retelling the story. However, I will tell you it was increadably cliche. Of coarse the oposing chief's children are in love. Romeo and Juliet much? That storyline has been used over and over again since the time of Shakespear for God's sake! And then, in the end, of coarse Carter must fight and win. And by the the way, someone shoot the costume artist. That was a bit overkill.
  • The Girl Power Laid On Thick

7.2
    Sam Carter definitely was annoying in this episode of SG-1. The overall episode was pretty interesting, I like the actors who were playing the two leaders of the tribes. One was the sensei on the Chris Farley film "Beverly Hills Ninja" and the other was Shang Tsung on "Mortal Kombat". It was nice to have a completely different story line than what we have been seeing so far.I support women's rights and all, but it was just laid on too thick for my liking. The biggest problem with the episode was Carter and her extreme feminist thoughts, it was just laid on so thick, it became a little too preachy and annoying.
  • this is another episode that veiws Sam as being annoyingly feminist. Not the usual 'that's not right how they treat women, but I'm not going to crucify them for it' that most women think, but a trash-talking veiw-point, that thankfully changes through th

7.8
    In this episode, SG-1 travel to a place called Simarka. The people here seem to resemble ancient Chinese Mongolians. But there is a catch to this ancient world…they treat woman as second-class citizens. As you can already guess, Sam is highly opposed to this way of life, but always the diplomat, she agrees to wear their traditional dress.
    But when she goes to sleep that night, the son of the chieftain kidnaps her and she wakes up in the forest. As she speaks to Abu, she finds out that he plans to trade her as if she were a piece of clothing! But it doesn’t end there. He plans to trade her with the leader of the Shavadi, a man whose cruelty knows no bounds.
    When he meets with the leader, M refuses to trade for what the boy wants…his daughter! In the end the boy has to settle for accepting the gold he offered. As Sam is left with this man, she continues to mouth off to him, but with consequences. Instead of beating Sam, he goes to beat one of his wives to treat her a lesson. Sam accepts the beating in exchange for the older woman.
    As this is going on, Jack talks to Turgon and finds out who kidnapped ‘his Captain’. He immediately mounts a rescue mission along with the chief to save Sam, but when they finally meet up with Abu in the forest, they find out they are to late, for Sam has already been traded. So Jack makes it into the camp, but Mougal refuses to trade Sam even after he tells the chief that she is also a ‘tribal leader’ back where they come from, valued for her knowledge. Jack eventually trades his handgun for her. When they make it back to their camp in the forest and build a fire, they formulate a plan of how to get the girl out of being stoned, and the Abu’s father remembers an old tradition.
    Back at the camp because the Nya tried to escape, but was captured, she is ordered to be stoned…by her own father! When Nya is about to be stoned SG-1 enters the camp and stops it from happening. Brining up the old tradition used to challenge another chieftain’s decision that they didn’t feel was fair or right. But Mougal won’t fight Turgon because of his age, so Sam challenges him. In the end after being defeated by Sam, he agrees to let Nya go free, and to marry Abu.
    When SG-1 is about to leave Turgon shows Sam deep respect by telling her that she will always be remembered by the fact that all woman are now free. This episode was okay, but not a show-stopping-go back what was? that episode. And one more thing, Tv.com lists this as the seasons, and series 4th episode, when in reality it is only the 3rd episode, because when first aired Children of the God’s was not a 2-parter.
  • Not what I had expected as SG1's first mission after the riveting beginning, but still pretty good.

Emancipation is an important episode because it's the first one that is not goa'uld related. For this reason its imporance is obvious. Stargate SG1 is not just a plain action series, but also an adventure one. It is the wonderful combination of the two that makes it so great, and this episode is the first chapter in "the
    chronicles of Daniel and friends".

The episode starts off well, with a dog chase in a sunny field which obviously announces a light hearted episode, one that we all have been waiting for (including SG1 after what they've just been through). The premise itself is good and the base story holds up pretty nicely. What then, went amiss? For starters we're taken aback by the fact that the natives speak perfect english. Yes, I know it would simply take too much time and it would become repetitive to try and include this communication establishment process every time they find a new world, but it still sort of dampens the realism. What slightly amplifies this effect is the fact that not two episodes ago, when they were on Chulak, SG1 did have to learn to communicate with the natives. However, given the obvious stated reason, I can't really criticise this, even if it still affects us... it is a necessity.

To move along, there's also the problem of how did the mongols ever find the stargate? And haven't a few good centuries passed between ancient egypt and the mongol days. It sort of doesn't feel right. Sure, if you try hard enough you might come up with a plausible argument (especially considering the episode "Solitudes" which we know nothing of at this point and of which I will say no more, as not to spoil anything) but there are so many pieces that don't fit in this puzzle that it feels as though the writers ran out of ideas... which is a paradoxal thing to say, considering it's the first actual episode after the pilot (except "The Enemy Within" which I consider a protraction of the latter). Gives you some shivers as to the originality of the next scenarios.

And now that I've totally ripped the episode to pieces, I think it's time to say that it's not as bad as it sounds. Emanicpation basically revolves around the theme of love, touching at the same time on human rights, more exactly womens right.Apart from the aforementioned props that don't feel as though they belong on the set, the play itself is quite nice. The screenplay isn't extremely breathtaking and in some ways perhaps predictable, but I found it quite enjoyable. It's the "moment of relaxation" that we all needed (if we can call it that, considering that among other things Sam also gets in a fight to the death that is supposed to stop a war between two tribes).

Over and all it's a fairly good episode. It's not the pinnacle of the series, far from it, but it still deserves a look. However, if you did happen to miss it, don't beat yourself too much over it, as you haven't lost all that much. But if you have the chance to see it, I recommend you give it a shot. You might like it. After all, it might be a below average Stargate SG-1 episode, but that still qualifies as a great TV episode.
  • Amanda Tapping always felt that her character was a little one-dimensional early on, and that hardly an episode went by where the fact that she was a woman wasn't mentioned. This episode is no exception.

This episode marks the first of several episodes in season 1 where the show took itself too seriously. The story for this episode is pretty predictable, and the characters don't really have much opportunity to develop in the situation.

It's all a bit silly too, and there aren't really many funny moments either. Still, the actors give it their best despite the sub-par material, and there are some nice looking costumes in there too.

If you were introducing someone to the world of SG-1, I'd definitely advise you give this episode a miss. Once they've gotten into the show, then it's worth a look, just to see what the series once was...
  • By far the worst episode ever

This is one of my least favorite episodes in the entire series for many reasons. First off the story was bad and cliché to begin with and on top of that the episode looked like it cost five dollars to make. I mean there were hardly any visual effects (not that its necessary but it is preferred). I have tried to think of some good things about this episode but they a few and far between. The one thing that I liked was watching Carter kick the crap out of that pig. Overall this is a very bad episode that I believe might turn off new viewers.
  • I didn't think this one was that bad....

SG-1 travels to a world that resembles the mongols on earth. Sam gets kidnapped and sold to another mongol warlord and SG-1 goes to try to rescue her. Anyways, I actually thought this was a ok episode. I liked the story, but I hated the Mongols. They were kind of annoying and the main mongol character was the worst. I liked the idea of showing another world's society having the idea of man supremacy. It was interesting. Anyways, there were some funny moments in the episode also, which made it better. Overall, good story, interesting idea, and a mix of good and annoying characters.
  • Do not let this episode put you off of Stargate.

General: this is the one episode that made a friend of mine stop watching Stargate early, its really a filler that can put a lot of people of that are new to Stargate.

PRO's

1. Main one is the quite funny reactions of Carter to a planet that thinks women are inferior.
    2. Good acting from the extras who play the Mongols

CON's

1. True definition of a filler episode, and this early on...
    2. Quite boring in places, and slow moving
    3. Planet Hardly / never mentioned again (not that I can recall anyway).

Summary: I do think this is probably one of my lowest rated episodes in Stargate (fair or not that is my view) and when I decide to re-watch Stargate this is definitely one I miss.

This being said its still watchable and I would recommend watching it at least once.
  • Mongols!!! SG-1's first stand alone episode deals with a whole different supplanted culture.

This episode expands on the very interesting concept of different cultures being taken from earth and preserving their identity. I don't get why some people are calling this episode the "bottom of the barrel" as I can think of many far worse episodes towards the end of the series, but I digress. The reason I enjoyed this episode so much was because of the humorous interactions between the team members throughout the episode. And while the idea of breaking a group of people ( in this case, women) free of oppression is not a new concept I thought it was very well executed. Plus Carter looks dazzling in that dress ;). However, my favorite parts comes at the end when Teal'c, who's said hardly even three words in the entire episode, says the classic line "What is an Op'Rah?" That one had me in stitches the first time I saw it, and is the first of many humorous one-liners from Teal'c.
  • Very poor episode

I think that this was the worst episode in the whole entire Stargate franchise. not much of a story and was not well acted. in the defense of the show i will say that it was the first season and they are just getting their feet wet. but it wasn't that good of an episode. not much of a Goa'uld story line when they needed it because it was an early first season episode. And they did not even mention this civilization for the rest of the series. wasn't there a plant that could cure some kind of disease there? And, what was with the closing line from Teal'c? it was an unoriginal joke attempt.
  • Intolerant and ignorant attitude from Carter and slow, illogical storyline.

I'm new to the Stargate franchise and I'm glad I read true and honest reviews that encouraged me to look past this sad excuse for an episode.

Carter's reaction to the world is entirely illogical and unbelieveable for a scientist and as person specially selected to investigate new worlds. She is more than frustrating, she is embarrasing.

Interesting that the Mongols, speak English throughout this episode. And why is Nya so western looking??

I also find it false that instead of this culture having been based on the ancient Mongols that has developed in it's own way over centuries, it is as if it has been preserved with no technological advancements or cultural shifts.

Silly silly episode.
  • INTERESTING!

7.1
    In this rapid-action mission the new SG-1 team which now includes Teal'c go to P3X-593 to find a society which is similar to the ancient mongols of Earth. But on this mission, they discover women in this society are treated as second-class citizens. Forced to blend in, Captain Samantha Carter soon finds herself in a blood feud with one of the leaders of a particular tribe. Carter will have to fight in hand to hand combat against an enemy tougher and more cunning than she has ever faced. And it's not just Carter's life at stake, it's the rights and freedoms of all women on this planet. If Carter wants to live, she'll have to use her head and survival skills before the enemy does! Emancipation is interesting to say the least that I Tracey K. Nameth call "pure thrilling and a real fight to the finish." In the circle of battle, Carter must prove she is the equal of any man -- or die trying.
  • Carter never prepared for that...

7.8
    It was such a different episode from the previous one and in some way it might have looked little stupid but the costumes where create and the atmosphere and the story they were created - it was interesting and there was many surprising moments. I like the scenery around, those little villages and the way the episode started - all the culture difference. But the storyline. It was in one point good - as it really showed something new and different but in the logical scenes - it was somehow too naive. All the story of the tribe they first met and then the new ways... It overlook that nativity, it was great episode.
  • Awful episode!!!

It is so hard to watch this episode because the planet where women have to be treated like slave or low level. The men quickly told Sam that she have to shut her mouth or made her obey the elder. Sam quickly was treated as rude or something. I don't want to watch this episode. It is so much for it. Men and Women are EQUAL and FAIR. Women have a rights and same thing to men too. Be carefully, ladies to watch this episode!!!

I hate this episode, why? Women are not nice as treated in that planet. Awful!
  • Not one of my favorites but it did keep me entertained.

SG-1 ,on their first mission as a team, encounter what appears to be a civilaztion closely resembling Mongols. They soon find out that women are not treated as equally as men and after a series of events Cpt.Carter finds herself at the mercy of a savage Warlord. This episode was not as bad as many others think it to be. It was entertaining at times but was ultimately dull. The acting on the part of the Warlord character was good enough to keep the episode interesting, also at this point it shows how strong-minded and brave Carter is for repeatedly challengng the Mongol leader. Stargate SG-1 has episodes that just deal with morals, not recurring enemies like the Gould, and this was one of those episodes. Overall, half-decent.
  • Decent idea, but they didn't pull it off.

This is one of my least favorite episodes of Stargate to date. It was a pretty good idea (team member captured, no way to get her out, warring societies, etc), but they didn't pull it off. It was a lot less interesting than it could have been. This is basically your generic "It is up to Sam to help this society" episode. So while Sam was trying to make the women and men equal the guys of her team were trying to help a boy who loved a woman of the enemy tribe. And of course everything worked out in the end, the women were equal to the men, and everyone went home happy. The series could have done without this one.
  • SG-1 travel to a planet, where they save a young man from death. Eventually they are dragged into their traditions and Samantha is sold to a rival of the village.

3.8
    Dear me, this certainly is a POOR episode, I guess every series has to have those episodes that are just downright annoying and stupid. Samantha is traded for another girl, by the person she and SG-1 had initially saved. I don't even feel like this episode deserves a review, because it really is appauling. Although it truly was bad, it was SG-1s first off world mission as a full team, onscreen at least. I am currently re-watching the Stargate SG-1 series on DVD and I have to say, I went downstairs and made my dinner while this episode was on and kept glancing back now and then. One word of advice, stay away.
  • bad...

6.1
    Not every episode of every show is great, but this episode was horrible. Don S. davis didn't even appear in it either. Sg1 goes to a planet and women are forbidden to show their faces in public. I thought fire and water was the worst episode of season 1, boy was I way wrong. Not every show is perfect like I said before. They should have had O'Neill fight that guy at the end it might have been more interesting. They couldn't have him fight Teal'c though, Teal'c would win it way to easy. This episode did have one funny part at the end when sg1 was walking back to the gate and O'Neill said he would have to cancel his oprah interview and Teal'c said "What is an Oprah?" Later...
  • Emancipation is proof that even the best series can have a very rocky start. The plot is simplistic and the ending both unrealistic and offensive.

Apologies for any spelling issues in this review, I write in British English not American and I am mildly dyslexic!

Emancipation has a plot with no twists or turns at all meaning that it is distressingly predictable at times. The only times where it isn’t predictable are when it runs into one of several enormous plot holes that completely throw any believability out of the window. The ending reads like a children’s fairly tale that has been sanitised by Disney – never a good thing if the viewer is above the age of five.

There are a lot of places where women experience extreme prejudice in everyday lives. This episode appears to say that the solution to this is to send them an attractive blonde American with a gun and they will soon see the error of their ways. This is not only unbelievable to any but the most unthinking, but is incredibly offensive to the many men and women who are struggling to change attitudes in such societies. This episode shows that Stargate really should not do social issues at all, had it been the first episode I had ever seen, I doubt I would have watched any more – this would have been my loss as Stargate is definitely one of my favourite shows.

The only good thing I can find about this episode is that it is at the end of disc one in the DVD box-set which makes it simple to miss it out when re-watching the series.
  • This is definitely the worst episode of Stargate SG1. An absolute joke of an episode.

This episode, if watched by someone who had never seen Stargate SG1 before, would be no more different to them than an episode of Hercules or Xena or any other show of that caliber.

This was laughable.

The only reason I gave it a one instead of a zero was because of the Oprah joke at the end.

I wish there was some way to erase this episode from the Stargate Lexicon.

I feel like strangling myself after watching this.
  • While on a mission, SG1 encounters a "Mongol" society. They soon discover that their laws are very harsh towards women.

Since many of the civilizations that SG1 encounters resemble historical societies of Earth's past, the issue of female equality was bound to come up. I am glad that this issue was confronted so early in the series, allowing Carter the opportunity to establish herself as an independent, and strong (mentally/physically) woman. Soon after arriving through the Stargate, SG1 meets a local teen who is being attacked by dogs. SG1 helps this boy, and the boy is immediately grateful to them. However, when his fellow tribes-men arrive on horseback, all the men are offended by Sam Carter's masculine nature. It is only because she saved the boy's life, that hers is spared. SG1 is then invited as guests to the tribal village, where they discover that other women are oppressed in the same way, forced to cover themselves in public, and restricted to the orders their husbands give them. Trouble arises between two villages when the boy (the son of the tribe chief) falls in love with the daughter of a rival tribe chief (resembling a Romeo-Juliet situation). Being only a piece of property, the daughter is forced by her father into an arranged marriage to a stranger. Carter (who has by now been kid-napped, sold, and beaten) assists the girl in escaping, but the girl is soon captured. Due to disobeying the laws, the girl is then sentenced by her own father to death, by stoning. Carter - understanding the harsh lives these women have - defends the girl, and challenges the chief to a knife-battle to win the freedom of the girl. Carter wins the fight and spares the life of the chief, and in doing so wins the girl's freedom and gains some much needed respect. Carter not only establishes herself as a strong and independent woman to the Mongols, but she also uses this opportunity to prove herself to her team. After all, Jack himself doubted the abilities of Carter when she was first introduced, and he was hesitant in accepting her into SG1. This episode discusses the manipulation of out-dated laws, and the disregard of ethics in a primitive culture. However, many of the same struggles and problems evident in that society are still present in today's (although, not to the same extent). This was a great episode that shouldn't be missed.
  • Worst SG-1 episode ever.

Emancipation in my opinion was the worst episode of Stargate SG-1. The episodes was tasteless and a bore fest. I think the only good this was cleavage Carter showed in that dress. This episode was directed by someone who, in my opinion, is a no body because I’ve never heard of the guy. And the woman who wrote this episode has written better episodes than this one. If this episode hadn’t aired in the 1st season, I would’ve said this episode made the show jump the shark, but it didn’t because it was and early episode of a young show. And finally, more humor or visual effects couldn’t have saved this episode from sucking.
  • Sam in a silly costume spouting girl power lines

This episode was quite disappointing after the excellent start of the series. I've only recently started watching Stargate SG-1 and after finishing season 1 a few days ago, I have to say that this was the worst episode of that season.

The SG-1 team encounters a culture based on Earth's Mongols and they they tend to be rather ..unfriendly towards women, to say the least. Sam gets kidnapped and stuck in a silly-looking dress, there's a Romeo & Juliet type love story and more feminist lines than you can poke a stick at.
    I don't mind storylines with a morale, but here the feminism and human rights thing is laid on way too thick.

The upsides include Carter kicking ass in the finale and some good one-liners ("What is an Oprah?").
  • Not their best episode, but still a good one.

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as some of their others, but it wasn't bad either.
    It was kind of fun to watch Carter, uncomfortable, stand in front of O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel in that dress.
    So far, Teal'c hasn't said too much in any one episode, but he still does a good job with his facial expressions so I guess he doesn't need to say a whole lot.
    The fight scene with Carter was a good one, but I think in reality it probably should have lasted a little longer. But as far as this episode compares with their other episodes I have to give it an average scoring. I don't think they did anything special, but it still kept me interested.
  • Carter is mistreated on a world because she is a woman, and sold to a clan on the planet...

This is by far one of my least favorite episodes. While I enjoyed the making of Carter as a strong character, I feel that Carter could’ve done it on her own, or in a better plot than this one. It seemed like a pointless plot, with holes all over it. Although you have to cut them some slack because it’s at the very beginning of the series, this episode is over shadowed by the good episodes later to come. Overall it was a poorly written episode with a poorly defined plot. The Idea was a good one, it just wasn’t handled correctly.
  • A decidedly below average episode filled with cliches.

4.5
    Admittedly, this is one of the first few episodes of the entire series, so I'm sure they were still finding their way around the concept and the characters, but I still hate it.

They arrive on a planet without a well-defined mission and immediately meet a young man who is apparently descended from the ancient mongols. He also speaks perfect English for no apparent reason. Now I realize that you can't have a TV show if nobody can understand each other, but they made no explanation of why this was the case. Wouldn't you think that the scientists in the group (one of whom is a linguist) might at least mention this?

The costumes seemed strange (especially the dress that Carter is forced to wear) and all the men wear long fake-looking wigs.

Then we have the "Romeo and Juliet" romance between the son and daughter of warring chieftans and Carter magically saving the mongol women from centuries of oppression by defeating one of the chieftans in hand-to-hand combat.

All in all, this episode lacked a compelling story, characters, or believable costumes.
  • SG-1 visit a planet where women are governed over by ill-treating Mongolic-like men.

Although this episode is considered as one of the least-favourite episodes among the cast and crew (especially by Amanda Tapping), it isn't actually that bad. There certainly have been worse episodes, but that's not to say that this episode is by any means good, it's just average. The plot is pretty standard and the moment in which Carter steps forward to take on the role of "worthy warrior" against Moughal is incredibly cheesy. That being said though, there are some funny quotes to be taken from it and the fight scene between Moughal and Carter is very well choreographed, being both quick and vicious. So then, it may not be the best hour produced for Stargate, but it certainly isn't the worst either, which is even more of a surprise considering this is only the third episode (or fourth, if you count the pilot as two separate ones)at which point the show is still very much finding it's feet.
  • SG-1 goes to a primative planet where women are treated badly.

This episode isn't the greatest. It's only the 4th episode of SG-1. It's the first episode that all of SG-1 was together and on a mission. They go to a planet that has adapted some ancient asain cultures and treat women as property and are brutal to them. Carter helps the women get freed and have rights.